TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Started playing lost Planet last night. Game looks really cool (got the PC, DirectX 10 version), but it looks like the game play might get pretty damn repetitive. Shoot the orange spots (usually on the back of the Akid) until the freeze and blow them up. Then again, I only played it for 20 minutes so far....

Just curious, do you have an ATI or nVidia card? Apparently Lost Planet just wants to barf all over itelf when it sees an ATI card. Known issues include setting any AA setting borks the game.

Started playing lost Planet last night. Game looks really cool (got the PC, DirectX 10 version), but it looks like the game play might get pretty damn repetitive. Shoot the orange spots (usually on the back of the Akid) until the freeze and blow them up. Then again, I only played it for 20 minutes so far....

Just curious, do you have an ATI or nVidia card? Apparently Lost Planet just wants to barf all over itelf when it sees an ATI card. Known issues include setting any AA setting borks the game.

I'm running an nVidia 8600 GTS. Working fine so far.

And the more I've gotten into the game, the more I'm starting to like it. The levels, however, can be pretty damn short.

Conan is pretty bad. It's like a God of War clone bit stiff and poorly animated. So basically it doesn't feel and look good which is what makes GOW fun. Horrible cutscenes too.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but there are talks that EA may not release NHL09 for the PC next year. NHL08 was the same, current gen game that has been released the last few years, just with a new coat of paint. If they do a PC version of the game next year, they want to do it next gen, like the 360 version. The problem, is that EA thinks that there simply are not enough people who have a PC good enough to play a next gen game, so it won't sell well.

I don't have any direct links to these rumours, but they are mentioned in EA's forums and over at sportsgamer.com's forums.

I can see where EA is coming from, but I will be uber pissed if my next gen, gaming PC, will not be getting a next gen hockey game.

EA is buying Bioware and Pandemic.

Ah, fuck.

May as well send an early RIP to Bioware, because they're heading down the same path many other great companies once did.

I can't wait to see Bio's games dumbed down and whored out to appear on every platform under the sun.

Oh dear, not sure how to take this. Initial reaction is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, though surely there's some plus to it publishing wise? If EA just leave them the fuck alone, and help push the games it should be ok... right?

Well, there goes any hope of affordable downloadable content or decent online multiplayer for any of those games. Why release episodic content for $5 on the marketplace when you can burn 3 of them to a disc and sell it for $60 as the pre/sequel?

I played Marvel vs. Capcom 2 at the arcade the other day, and I was reminded of just how bland and boring the game's stages are. The 3D stuff makes the sprites look even nastier. I had also forgotten about that "Take You For A Ride" music.

I saw that Neo Geo Battle Coliseum is soon to be released in the US for PS2. Did the game turn out to be any good? It has been a few years since its original release. I'm tempted, simply because Mudman is a playable character.

Conan is pretty bad. It's like a God of War clone bit stiff and poorly animated. So basically it doesn't feel and look good which is what makes GOW fun. Horrible cutscenes too.

I agree with you and I've never played God of War.

Just finished off Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. Game was decent, but some of the levels were embarassingly short. You CAN fight everyone to beat the level, or you can just take another route, avoif 90% of the enemies, and get to your checkpoint to face the boss. Also, the game went from a cool, original concept in the first few levels, to another typical Asian influenced game

Game goes from killing aliens to mech fight after mech fight

All and all, it was a decent game, but I may only play 1 or 2 fun levels over again and then discard it.

I was reading the wikipedia entry for GameFan magazine (productive day at work today...) and was amused by this:

Probably one of the most well-known (and most likely only) controversies in Gamefan's history was an issue in where a piece of written work, which contained several deogratory comments about Japanese people was leaked in an issue of Gamefan (naming them "Japs", a racial profanity that was used to insult Japanese descendants and Japanese-Americans during the years of World War II), taking the place of one of the paragraphs of one of the sports games reviews. Gamefan editor Dave Halverson published a letter in the next issue of the magazine explaining the origin and intentions of the offensive article. Halverson claimed that the article was an attempt to sabotage the magazine aimed at alienating its Japanese audience and fanbase. Halverson's claims were supported by the article itself: the article discussed a Namco flight-simulator rather than College Football '96 (which was the topic of the article) and was extremely poorly written. Halverson published the following apology:

August 18, 1995

GameFan, more so than any other American title covering the gaming industry, has been the greatest proponent of the Japanese market and culture. This is a known fact in the industry and among gamers.

We are also the fastest growing gaming magazine on the market, despite the fact that our cover price is 20% higher than that of our competitors. We are thought of by readers of all gaming titles as the magazine with the highest production quality and editorial integrity. For these reasons, we are the constant target of our competitors.

Our September issue was the aim of sabotage. The intention was to include language in our issue offensive to the Japanese to damage relationships and set our friends against us.

During the production process, text containing various profanities and language offensive to the Japanese culture was woven throughout the text of the issue. We were able to remove the majority of the language. Despite our efforts, one paragraph contained within an editorial made it through the production process. By the time we discovered this, some of the copies were already distributed to retail outlets.

Unfortunately, because our production process largely involves digitized information on disk and it travels through the hands of several outside sources, it is subject to this type of manipulation. We were caught with our guard down, never having expected such an outrageous act. We have put safeguards in place to insure that this will never occur again.

The action was undoubtedly directed to harm GameFan.

We ask that you accept our deepest apologies for any offense that it may have caused. Please consider that the persons responsible for this action intended not only an offense against the Japanese, but against GameFan. This type of motive and behavior should not be condoned.

Carefully consider the circumstances and our integrity and help us maintain it by not reacting against GameFan, but together with GameFan.

Sincerely,

Dave Halverson

Editor In Chief, GameFan Magazine

Guest Smues
http://games.ign.com/articles/827/827451p1.html

History's worst videogame voiceacting, courtesy of IGN. Shining Force Neo is my favorite, just edging out the classic "master of unlocking".

Oh Megaman 8, how you still haunt me to this day. As if Megaman being a girl wasn't bad enough, "Dr. Wowiwi" still gives me nightmares.

I remember the GameFan slur drama, in addition to their FFVIII review drama. I was a big reader of the magazine throughout its run, especially due to their SNK coverage. Their reviews also didn't read like press releases as with many other mags. Nice screenshots, as well.

I totally marked out when they printed the movelists for Way of the Warrior. :headbang:

The current Hardcore Gamer publication is similar to GF in staff and content. They review stuff like Cave STGs. Cool.

Guest Smues
I remember the GameFan slur drama, in addition to their FFVIII review drama. I was a big reader of the magazine throughout its run, especially due to their SNK coverage. Their reviews also didn't read like press releases as with many other mags. Nice screenshots, as well.

I totally marked out when they printed the movelists for Way of the Warrior. :headbang:

The current Hardcore Gamer publication is similar to GF in staff and content. They review stuff like Cave STGs. Cool.

What was the FFVIII review drama?

I'd also like clarification on that.

I know when FFVII came out, they reviewed it with a mega-high score, as sweet electronic ambrosia we should have been honored just to play, then they called it mediocre later on. They had a tendency to do that with a lot of games.

HCG is a pretty decent mag. It also is a lot more reliable for reviews than former-Gamefan-staff-member-Dave-Halverson's Play. Curious how often those scores show up on game boxes...of course, they are usually the highest game scores to be found *anywhere*.

One of my favorite Gamefan reviews was for Marvel vs Capcom 2. They spent about 2 paragraphs talking about how fun it was to play, and how nice the graphics were. Then about 3 pages bitching about the jazz music that was chosen for the game. Funny stuff.

Re: FF VIII "review drama". They (understandably so looking back) gave a less than expected score to the game while the other mags praised it. While this was a fine point and all (and I think it angered some readers, resulting in negative letters) where I began to question whether the magazine was being "hardcore" or just having a different opinion than the mainstream mags just for the hell of it was when they said Turok 3 was better than Perfect Dark (or some similar comparison). I believe they did similar things with other games when comparing them to FF VIII.

Guess I could dig through some of the old GameFans someday and check it out.

Guest Dolfan483

Just a quick Question. I'm thinking about getting a 360 and the T.V. that i ahve doesnt have the color things for the wires that put into it..it only has a thing for the cable to go into...when i had my old Xbox i used a adapter and thats how i could plug it into my T.V. My question is do they sell 360 adapters? or do i need to have a tv with the yellow red and blue or whatever color wires?

As far as the other Street Fighter game coming out, Super Turbo HD remix, file this in the "I was right" column:

I said this in a post in the Wii numbers thread, on the fifth page.

Couple things:

Hyper Fighting online is complete bullshit.

Super Turbo looks better, thanks to the efforts of the ggpo project. Fun little thing to play with, of course, though it's real purpose is to give Capcom better netcode.

http://ggpo.net

Today, this came out from sirlin.net:

Capcom is also committed to delivering the best online experience possible. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced the lag-free gameplay over at ggpo.net, which is definitely the best fighting game networking technology in the world. It's battle-tested and proven at this point, delivering a staggeringly low 1-frame of input delay, even across oceans. You'd think we'd be using that, right? Or should we try an untested solution that will, in theory, be as good? I'll let you draw your own conclusions there. Make sure to give your opinions over at capcom's blog.

Freakin' called it. Why else would something that blatantly defies Capcom's copyrights be allowed to exist, with their full knowledge of the program's existence?

Guest Smues

They probably sell the adaptors for 360, but if they don't you can buy a box for your TV that converts from the colored cables to your TV cable. The only downside is they have to be plugged in (every one I've seen anyway).