TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Guest Smues

I picked up Final Fantasy XII: Reverant Wings last week. I'm at 40% right now and just finished Chapter 5. I'm not a big fan of RTS games, but this one is pretty simplified so I don't mind it. In fact it's a bit too simplified, but still enjoyable. The units do move too damn slow though. I'm currently leveling up and trying to not get my ass handed to me by Ultima, cheap fucker.

Christ, its still going on, all this over a fucking game review????!??

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kane...reviews;alluser

Once you ignore the fact that the video game (particularly video game on the internet) industry is a niche one, I'd say in the "gaming world" it's a pretty big story. I mean there are always in every industry cases of advertising pressure on reviewers, but the brazen-ness of just firing the guy seems kind of eye opening.

i find it funny though that Kane and Lynch will pretty much permanantly be scarred by this. Even people who will never play it sort of think of it as this sucky bad game. kind of like Gigli

:lol: what i mean is, yeah ok in general, a story like this in the internet video game world doesn't mean much, just as I dunno some shakeup at pwinsider or a hotel altercation involving orton or something doesn't mean much to the news world at large.................. but to people who follow a "niche industry" closely, it's very noteworthy.

:lol: what i mean is, yeah ok in general, a story like this in the internet video game world doesn't mean much, just as I dunno some shakeup at pwinsider or a hotel altercation involving orton or something doesn't mean much to the news world at large.................. but to people who follow a "niche industry" closely, it's very noteworthy.

The *industry* isn't a niche. However, the folks who follow the news, coverage and review probably are, relatively.

The difference between video games and, say, the movie industry, is that entertainment tonight wouldn't cover a hypothetical story like John Romero being arrested for being coked out of his mind in public or Jade Raymond being photographed drunk at a party while wearing no panties. Thankfully, the entertainment business keeps up to date on crucial, relevant stories like those when it involves actors and alleged celebrities.

However, everyone knows that there are many movie critics who are bought off in various ways to endorse films. Peter Travers, Harry Knowles, Gene Shalit, etc. Of course they're known more by name than the publications they work for. Meanwhile, game critics' names are lower profile.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Penny Arcade pointed it out a while ago, people get pissed when they buy ad space and THEN get the shitty reviews, so the only thing to do is review first, sell ad space later. Anything else is asking for trouble.

I didn't went into the Smackdown vs Raw thread to see if it was already mentionned but, according to EGM, rumor has THQ remaking No Mercy for the Wii virtual console, complete with an updated roster.

Dip Dip Dee-Dee-Dee, Dip Dip Dee-Dee-Doh........Socko.

I thought it was saying "dig, dig, dig..dig diggity dog"?

The same EGM rumor section says Bioshock is coming out for PS3......

I didn't went into the Smackdown vs Raw thread to see if it was already mentionned but, according to EGM, rumor has THQ remaking No Mercy for the Wii virtual console, complete with an updated roster.
That's awesome.

I thought it was saying "dig, dig, dig..dig diggity dog"?

The same EGM rumor section says Bioshock is coming out for PS3......

Hasn't that already been confirmed as true?

That's awesome.

..Check the Wii secton. :P

If it does happen...THQ will be my savior...well maybe.

Wow, I just saw a bit of the Video Game Awards and it was some lame stuff. The awards was sponsored by Mountain Dew, the way they announced the winner was having some naked chick in body paint turn around and I think it was Patton Oswalt or something making lame jokes and presenting it.

It's actually gotten better. The first Spike Awards, they announced the GOTY at the top of the show, and it was Madden.

Non-360 games got little/no attention, from what I understand. It seems like a ginormous ad for the 360 rather than any semi-legimate award show.

It was a terrible and embarassing show but at least they got rid of all the useless categories like "cyber vixen" and all those voice acting awards.

I called Bioshock winning. It's the safest choice for them. It's a 360 shooter but still artsy enough to give them hardcore cred.

The panel is actually made up of major game journalists from magazines and the popular sites. Not that it matters since I'm sure the producers are in charge.

Did Ralphie May disgust anyone else as much as he did me? His whole routine is "HEY MAN IM SO FAT THAT I ........." or "MY FAT ASS IS SO BIG THAT....." Fuck you dude.

But as others have said, this was a slight improvement over previous years. When Madden won GOTY in 2005, but didn't even win best sports game, the show lost a lot of credibility right off the bat.

Hey, a question for anyone who plays those Nipponish RPGs...I'm trying to get ahold of Persona 3 for some reason, does anyone have any idea where to get it without spending $60 on ebay?