TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chirs3

SWF Storm Comments

Promo-riffic, and almost entirely intact. Just one thing to be edited in - an improvement over my last few shows, I think. I eagerly anticipate the main event, though... and as much as I like Wildchild, you better believe the underdog in me is rooting for Zyon. :P

Still, what we've got so far is nuts, both matches and promos. Great effort tonight, guys. :)

I liked that match with those two people, and when that one guy beat the other one. No, not him, that other dude.

Overall, I give everything a bloated Cuban hooker out of ten blind squirrells trying to masturbate a pineapple. (Y)

And my losing streak against non-no showers continues...

It was an enjoyable match though. Heh. I got stabbed in the eye. Good thing we aren't really taking these blows, huh?

*loses depth perception*

Sorry about that W&D promo tacked on to the beginning of Toxxic vs. Pretzler - they were supposed to be seperate, but I apparently, er... missed that, and am too lazy to repost all those things. :P

Awesome opening promo between Toxxic and Pretzler. I really enjoy their exchanges, and this one is no exception. Them agreeing to ignore the Hardcore rules speaks volumes about both characters.

DICKISH PRE-MATCH ASSAULT~! starts off the Cortez/Johnson match well, and it only gets better from there. Great table spots. I gotta say, though, at times the unnamed commentary can be really confusing.

Pretzler, in his second great promo of the night, gets rid of any doubts one might have about him being handed the CW Title. The bit at the end is really well written.

Wrote the Toxxic/ELM promo. Watch out for the THREE-TIME WORLD CHAMP ROUND ROBIN~!

I tried to have some fun with the House Rules stip. Let me know how that turned out. =)

Cool promo from Zyon. I'm really enjoying watching his character develop.

Zangief! I can't believe he didn't use the Final Atomic BUSTAAAAAAH. Oh yeah, and Ejiro defends the title. Not sure what's going on with that match.

If that's the Cortez/Maddix breakup, it was done really well. I actually feel kinda bad for Maddix and sympathize with him quite a bit. Also, I laughed out loud at "$5 for nachos?!"

Another fantastic match between Toxxic and Pretzler. It was fascinating watch the match escalate, and I knew at some point that their agreement would be violated. I was surprised that it took until the end of the match, but it makes perfect sense if you think about it. Toxxic's caught so off guard by the Flying Oklahoma Roll on the outside that Pretzler manages to get a pin off of it.

The beginning to the Zyon/WC/Hawke match is funny as hell. Nonstop insanity all the way through, here, as is usually the case with Triple Threat matches. In fact, the whole match is filled with great spots that take advantage of both the Triple Threat and Hardcore spots. Also, the bit with WC getting the kid to slap Hawke was great.

If that's the Landon/Maddix breakup, it was done really well. I actually feel kinda bad for Maddix and sympathize with him quite a bit. Also, I laughed out loud at "$5 for nachos?!"

His first and last names got in an argument? What?

Hey, Drea said something funny, and I actually got it!

:: wonders if this is the first stage of Alzheimer's ::

Anyway, tight show; real comments after I've had a night's sleep. Or day's sleep, in my case.

I think the Martial Law breakup WAS handled really well, and at least someone's taking over from me as Top Heel. It really fits with Landon's character to be so offended about a girl saying she DIDN'T sleep with him. So now the cheating, arrogant arsehole is a heel and the (still pretty arrogant) flashy, non-cheating spotmonkey is a face.

Christ, are we still in the SWF? That actually sounds LOGICAL!

Congrats to all, and thank fuck Ejiro retained. I mean, a part of me would have LOVED Ghost Machine to take the title, but overall it's probably better this way.

Guest bennerisbetter

Hold on...how did Ejiro win with an 1,800 word match when mine was 3,950+ ? Why did you even make the match if I couldn't win?

To be fair, I do remember a 6k match between Charlie 'Grappler' Matthews and Coy West (Ejiro's other character) being awarded to Grappler even though he wrote about 4k and Ejiro wrote the full 6k simply because Grappler's match was judged to be better.

Although I won't be around much this week, I did want to comment on the main event:

First off, I probably won't post the loss in the losing matches thread, simply because I wasn't real happy with it either. That being said:

WC did a terrific job writing for my character, I thought, especially playing off the match I had with Randy Myers. I loved ripping the poster out of the kid's hands. Classic shit.

My one complaint:

Wasn't every referee supposed to be named "Viktor"? What the hell was Red Herrington doing there?

Great match though.

Me and Pretz used Brian Warner, so we're just as guilty. I'd wrote him in for me vs Danny and obviously lost, so I carried him over without thinking.

Toxxic and Pretzler say stuff

I’m afraid that I don’t have a great deal to say about this promo, aside from it being well written from a technical standpoint. There’s one thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way, though: as Toxxic begins this slow transformation back to a face, it seems as though he is becoming progressively more gullible, in the sense that, for someone who was so highly manipulative for over a year, he seems very willing to trust an old stablemate. It’s like he’s not only abandoning his old personality, but his whole character, and I don’t know whether that’s Toxxic’s own personal indictment of face characters (i.e. face = gullible), or if that’s just incidental, but I hope that it becomes clearer over time.

Todd Cortez vs. JJ Johnson

Well, you lost me for a second with that whole “nth degree” stuff (that sentence just reads weird to me), but a solid opening notwithstanding… Random thought: I just realized that Todd Cortez is the Arn Anderson of the SWF: he’s now held and/or defended the Tag Team Titles three different times, with four different partners; now that’s something… A springboard into a testes stomp? That’s just uncouth, man… Being recorded overseas must = no censorship? Isn’t Storm still supposed to be broadcast in the US? Anyway, nice teaser for the Riot Act Plus… Cortez channels Brian Pillman for a minute, which makes me smile… I like the use of the table shrapnel; it establishes Cortez as a guy who’ll make use of whatever, whenever he has to, and it’s an aspect of his personality that’s really been neglected throughout his run with Martial Law… Good job of actually putting over the blade job; far too often, I think I see people getting busted open and then going on as if nothing happened.

Pretzler interview

Pretzler speaks ill of the dead, because he’s EVIL~! Indeed… Good job in having Ben put Pretzler on the spot… Pretzler comparing himself to the Vice President is hilarious… Very good promo, overall; a perfect example of why every division needs a strong heel to help it get over.

ELM and Toxxic say stuff

Not much here; a quick, well done promo to establish that ELM wants a piece of the “3-time former Champion” action… Should be one hell of a match!

ELM vs. Austin Sly

I love witty banter between King and LDP… It occurs to me that a “House Rules” match really works against the heels… Sly works ELM over early, which would seem to put over the ring rust, except he’s been back for almost a month now, so I’m not really following that… Nice little comic relief bit with Sly digging under the ring; funny, but not overdone, which has been a problem with some in the past… Well, if Cortez is the AA of the fed, Mags is our Mick Foley; that was a cheap pop if I’ve ever seen one… I have to say, I’m glad that Sly came back with the chairshot, though; you can’t give somebody nearly two minutes to recover, and then don’t let something like that happen… Nice spot with Sly trying and failing to use Mags’ sign, and it has the added effect of setting up the psychology for the last four minutes of the match… I can’t help but notice that gaff with the squares, though; if sixty thousand raised red squares, that should have been a win for Sly, shouldn’t it?

Zyon says stuff

There’s something unusual about this promo that I just can’t put my finger on… it’s the kind of promo that could have been written almost exactly the same regardless of whether Zyon is a face or a heel, and I can’t help but wonder if he deliberately wrote it to be ambiguous as a means of keeping his options open for the future of his character…

Ejiro vs. Ghost Machine

King’s commentary in this match makes me think that he should have called the Balboa/Drago fight… King rips some of the goofier gimmicks in the fed’s “recent” past, and I’m surprised that Chance Silver gets no love; you know, the guy from “the Edge of Reality,” who claimed that his eyes CHANGED COLOR when he got mad… I have it on good authority that robots don’t have testicles, so that seems to be that, but I hope that it doesn’t kill Ghost Machine’s character… And then Zangeif gets the spinning piledriver off for good measure!

The Young and Restless… I mean, Martial Law says stuff…

So… as it turns out, Megan and Landon never happened, because her heart belongs to Todd… Cortez? Landon does a good job playing the jilted lover, and it doesn’t hurt that his ego is so big that he can’t fathom Megan not being attracted to him… I was a little irked by the inconsistent selling of the language barrier; if there are only pockets of fans who can even understand English, why is the cheering so loud? Interesting way to go about the promo, with Landon appearing to react to his own behavior as if he’s watching himself from outside his own body, but I would have liked to see a little more monologue to flesh this aspect out. Very good promo, overall; I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it establishes Landon as the #1 heel, which Toxxic was trying to argue (personally, I think that Pretzler’s probably the #1 heel by default at the moment), but some definite angle progression; almost looked for a second like Landon was going to be portrayed as a quasi-sympathetic character until that cheap shot.

Promo/Toxxic vs. Pretzler

I still don’t comment on my own stuff (although, I’d like to credit Ejiro for the co-write), so I’ll move on to the match… Interesting dynamic to start off, with two guys who consider themselves “above” hardcore wrestling that have a kind of gentleman’s agreement not to take advantage of the hardcore stip; reminds me of Summer Slam ’92 where Shawn Michaels and Rick Martel agreed not to hit each other in the face… At least I’m not the only person who forgot to use Viktor as a referee… Apparently, Nottingham-tanned = pasty white, so I guess Toxxic bruises easily; must not ever let Jet be on top… I’m hoping that “cissy” is a British spelling, but that’s just me nitpicking… Toxxic channels Muta with a Deathlock/chinlock submission… not surprisingly, Pretzler breaks the agreement first because, let’s face it, he’s a dickhead… Toxxic doesn’t appreciate getting played, and shows Fighting Spirit~! Pretzler isn’t really “lucha” enough for a bow-and-arrow, but that’s just more nitpicking… Interesting inner conflict with Toxxic resisting the urge to rake the eyes, and I wish we would have seen a little more of that from Toxxic the heel; a dickhead who’s too proud to cheat is a lot more compelling than a dickhead who thinks he’s too good to cheat… Toxxic takes a MAN-SIZED bump when Pretzler counters the Intoxxication… and then pays him back by beating him with a rollup… outside the ring… Toxxic takes umbrage, but Pretzler seems mostly unconcerned by it.

WC vs. Hawke vs. Zyon

No comments from me, but I’d be happy to reply to any feedback on what I wrote.

I was actually planning to call my referee Victor Fleming (one letter's difference), but Toxxic was already using the name Brian Warner so I decided to respect his decision. Extra credit for anyone who know who Victor Fleming was!

About Toxxic's gullibility... I had originally prepared a promo similar to that one in which he was slightly more suspicious and standoffish, but it choked down large quantities of beefdart.

Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, Toxx... ;)

I can’t help but notice that gaff with the squares, though; if sixty thousand raised red squares, that should have been a win for Sly, shouldn’t it?

Whoops. That's an awful mistake. >_>

To be fair, I do remember a 6k match between Charlie 'Grappler' Matthews and Coy West (Ejiro's other character) being awarded to Grappler even though he wrote about 4k and Ejiro wrote the full 6k simply because Grappler's match was judged to be better.

There are a lot of matches that go that way. I made a career out of being 500-1000 words under the limit and being several K shorter on PPVs. So did Grand Slam, as I recall.

and Wildchild and ELM deserve medals for their commentifications.

I was actually planning to call my referee Victor Fleming (one letter's difference), but Toxxic was already using the name Brian Warner so I decided to respect his decision. Extra credit for anyone who know who Victor Fleming was!

The director or the judge?

- Taa "wants a cookie" mo

Toxxic/Pretzler promo.

I enjoyed it, and I can see how Toxxic is slowly becoming a little bit more gullible considering that he is not only dealing with a former stable mate, but is dealing with a friend perhaps. So Toxxic's trust lies in the right direction I guess character wise.

Todd Cortez vs. JJ Johnson.

Well the testicle attack seemed quite painful and having it done in BOLD TEXT made it seem worse. The Riot Act Plus through a table would have been insane, but the counter did just fine. The way Cortez was put through the table was nice. The finish was what it had to be and the match as a whole put both men over as some tough people.

Pretzler Interview.

"The Critic" channels "The Game" here as he feel absolutely no regret for taking a title that was handed to him. He then though unlike the real life superstar actually explains an accurate statement on why he deserves it. Pretzler brought the heel heat by barely giving a damn about Insane Luchadore's death. To be honest I absolutely enjoyed this promo and after seeing how cool and calm he is around his "friend" Toxxic and then to see this promo of him being a complete dick is fun to watch.

ELM/Toxxic promo.

Promo that got its point across nicely. For somebody trying to turn to the light side Toxxic's only real friend(s) are on the dark side....Interesting.

ELM vs. Austin Sly

First a foremost I enjoy the "kick chair in opponents face" spot, so bonus points. I'm not really familiar with the SLY character, but him taking it to ELM was a neat surprise. The paper spot was pretty funny. The ending I believe would have made more sense if ELM was a heel, but I enjoyed it non the less.

Zyon promo...

No comment.

Ghost Machine vs. Ejiro

I'm sorry, but having Zangeif appear was the greatest thing ever, period. The rest of the match just does not matter.

(It was good, albeit short, but good non the less.)

Martial Law promo.

The promo was well done and the Darth Maddix heel turn should be cool to witness along with the Martial Law feud. King's nacho bit was quite funny.

Wildchild promo.

Nice little promo with Melissa comepletely no selling Johnny. This is leading somewhere cool I think...yes I use cool a lot.

Pretzler vs Toxxic II

I would have marked out if the match was called two minutes in because Pretzler bit Toxxic's ear off. Anyway good match with Toxxic's demons being a nice backstory in the match and yes Pretzler is just an asshole...and it's awesome. The finish was good as it proved that even though Pretzler didn't stay with the gentlemen's agreement, it proved that he is indeed on Toxxic's level. Lets see where the two go from here.

WC vs. Jay Hawke vs. Zyon.

Now the match that will obviously get the most comments from me. First and foremost excellent match. WC got the Zyon character down pretty well. The early teaming between Zyon and WC was fun to read. Hawke staying in the fight and being the wildcard was nice since he was the submission expert out of the bunch and stuff. Zyon and WC saving each other from Hawke's clutches was good.

Loved the announce table spot.

The crowd bit was great as I also like crowd participation in the matches. One critique is the nip up after the Snap. I am glad you followed the move description to a tee, but I think nipping up after going through the match that Zyon went through was something that just stood out at me.

The finish of the match out of character I enjoyed. But in character at least for me it was a bit of a bummer. I guess I didn't really see Wildchild as a submission wrestler and having Zyon tap out in his first loss kinda hit me by surprise. I'm not really disappointed or anything since you described the tap out nicely as like I pointed out earlier going through a match like that could definitely get a guy to tap out. I guess the finish kinda came out of nowhere in my case, but don't get me wrong I am ok with the finish and everything, and character wise it showed that Wildchild knows a thing about submission counters and it should help him against Ejiro who lives on that stuff.

Overall it was a very good show and found the increase in promoing to be a very good thing.

Oh, yeah, I forgot...

Ejiro ripped me off!

I had Zangief as referee for Andrea Montgomery/Blanka vs. Ace Lezaire/M. Bison last year! The spinning piledriver was included in that match, too. Fuckin' Jir ripping me off...

Zangief was always my favorite. That and the stretchy Hindu guy.

Of course! I've YET to see Ghost Machine bend ANYTHING into a U shape. Obviously not a robot. Thank you for clearing that up.

Zyon,

First, thanks for your feedback; I appreciate it. Now, for your remarks:

- I can see your argument on where I used the Snap spot. My rationale for using it was that there was a considerable time lapse between when Zyon ate that bulldog and when he hit that Snap. I have an odd habit of "putting myself" in the matches I write, where I pantomime all the moves in order to get a sense of time; by my estimation, Zyon would have been out for nearly three minutes, which I figured would have enabled him to recuperate enough for one nip-up.

- Regarding the submission, WC's pedigree as a submission wrestler has been established, ever since the Five Wounds match in the JL. Every several matches I like to have WC bust out a submission of some kind, just to remind people that he's not incapable of wrestling; it's just counterintuitive to what he prefers to do. WC's not going to out-wrestle a mat tactician for any significant portion of any match, but he's more than capable than using the occasional submission, and he knows that he can get them off most of the time because his opponents aren't going to be expecting them.

Besides which, I didn't consider it necessarily to be a "conscious" decision; I wrote it that way because 1) I've always considered the Boston Crab to be a more fluid counter to a hurricanrana than a powerbomb, and WC wasn't in any position to hit a powerbomb anyway, and 2) because I wanted to do a spot that illustrated the difference in speed between WC and Zyon. WC's instincts would be to get out of the Cyclone and it just so happens that, from that position, the most natural way to get out would be to roll into the Liontamer.

Again, thanks for the feedback; I'll try to do a better job of expressing my thought process in my matches in the future.

- Dub Cee