TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anorak

Roy of the rovers

Guest Anorak

I realise this folder is mainly devoted to superheroes and the like but is there just 1 person on this board who ever used to get this classic comic? I used to get it in the late 80's/early 90's period but it was around since the 50's i'm sure. I know the Roy of the Rover's strip eventually found its way into some shitty pre-teen footy mag like 'Shoot' or 'Match' after the comic's demise for a crappy afterlife but i assume(or at least hope) that its been put out of its misery by now as it was really ruining the good name of the original 'Roy of the Rovers'.

My favourite strips were 'Billy's Boots' and the comedic masterpiece that was 'Hamish and Mouse'. Anybody UK posters remember this fine comic?

Guest Mystery Eskimo

I do indeed remember it, and Hamish and Mouse was a fantastic strip.

Guest Anorak

What a great website! I'm off to the message boards to find out how much my 1961 'Roy of the Rovers' & 1958 'Tiger' annuals are worth. Talk about a trip down memory lane! Thanks for the replies, twice as many as i expected! I won't bore you any longer with my own memories now that i can get my fix there. Can you believe members of my own family is calling me 'sad' at this very moment?

Guest the 1inch punch

Anyone follow roy of the rovers in shoot magazine, based on his son. It ended when him and Delroy (the comedic minority sidekick) moved to Inter Milan

Guest muzanisa

Never really liked it (always a massive 2000AD fan) Was Jonny Ace "the Red Indian Wrester" in Roy of the Rovers?

Guest Anorak

I'm not 100% sure by any means but i would guess Jonny Ace may have been in Tiger comic. That comic normally featured a mixture of 'boys own' type strips ('Tough of the Track' etc) instead of just focusing on football like 'Roy of the Rovers' did. I can't say for sure because although the character rings a bell with me i can't remeber any real details about the strip. I'd be interested if anyone else could provide some more info.

Did anyone ever used to get Gary Lineker's 'Hot Shot' comic? I don't think it ran for that long before it merged up with 'Roy of the Rovers' but it had some good strips in it. Anybody ever get any ROTR monthlies? Some of those were excellent.

On a different note does anybody remember the name of a strip that appeared in 'Eagle' magazine that was about a gang of skateboarder's getting into various scrapes?