TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

Tell chave what to see at Reading festival!

Another Do Me Bad Things fan in these parts eh? Excellent stuff.

I've not actually heard the album yet, but Time For Deliverance is fucking ace, so I'll check it out shortly.

Also, Big Gay Out is the best name for anything ever.

Well I suggest you get it as its the bomb, yo. If you're after hearing a couple more tracks before purchasing the album I suggest: "The Song Rides" & "What's Hideous" they're both damn good tracks. What's Hideous" is the song that got me into the band intially as it got a fair bit of play on MTV2.

And so the aftermath...

Reading was hella cool (despite some bastards cutting open my tent and swiping some mini-speakers while I was watching The Go! team). My opinions on what I saw, for those who care:

Friday

Do Me Bad Things: First band on the main stage, a shame their gear went kaput after 10 seconds of their first song. Good live band, with a lot of crossover appeal. You know you're close to the stage when you can see the singers cock.

Goldie Lookin' Chain: Great early festival band. Funny, got the crowd going, and great choruses to sing along to. They can also rap live pretty well.

Mando Diao: Promising little band. Typical spikey guitar fare with nothing to make them stand out, and the tent was pretty empty, but could come out with something good.

Saul Williams: Ace. Great delivery, a lot more charisma and stage presence than I would have expected from him, and it's great just to hear him talk. The crowd loved him too.

The Killers: Overated album, annoying frontman, crap live. Only saw the to get a place for...

The Pixies: Great set. Amazed how many people were singing along to album tracks from well over a decade ago. Pretty mellow near the front, with most people there to pay homage as oppsed to rock out.

Saturday

Nine Black Alps: Saw them from a distance for a few minutes to kill some time. Massive crowd. Quite grungey. Have the potential to break out and appeal to all the grunge kids.

Artic Monkeys: THEY WILL BE BIG. Superb set full of energy. They've only released one single, yet the crowd were singing along to songs that were leaked as though they were classics. Remind me a bit of The Jam brought up to date, only with more energy and less annoying. great songs, great sound, great band.

Razorlight: Caught half of their set from a distance. A few years time and they'll be in stadium territory. Great ear for catchy melodies and put on a solid enough show. They wont change any lives, but worth seeing for some mindlesss good fun.

Arcade Fire. Really good live band. Also good to see a large group of people who knew all the songs. Not the best live band around, as some have said, but definateely worth seeing nevertheless.

Baby Shambles: Saw half their set from a distance. They're a trainwreck but Pete Doherty os a fucking good songwriter and is akways worth watching. Seemed to be fairly coherent onstage, it'll be interesting what they can put out on record, if they ever finish off their album.

The Go! Team. Fucking amazing. I dont know her name, but the frontwoman was easily the most watchable person I saw at the festival. Recreated the albums sound superbly with a live band. Really got the crowd going and seemed to be in awe of the moment. If you only listen to one thing I say, make it this: YOU MUST SEE THE GO! TEAM LIVE. Band of the weekend.

Sunday

Turbonegro: Not a great live band, no-one turned up to see them, and those who did weren't into them. But, they were funny, put a lot of effort into their stage show and they finished before I started wanting them to.

Saul Williams (in the comedy tent): If anything he impressed me even more than he did with his set on Friday. Did a few readings of poetry (and got a few bottles aimed his way for his trouble). Those that wanted to be there, as oppesed to those who just hadn't been bothered to move since the hypnotist who was on before him, ate it up. Really energetic speaker, and when he speks you just feel the whole crowd hanging on every word he says. When he finished, pretty much everyone got up and he got a standing ovation, which I've never seen before. Really good stuff.

Marilyn Manson: Really impressed me. I've always liked Mansons stuff, especially Mechanical Animals, but as I've got older and he's got crapper and my musical taste has diversified he's no longer the must-see act he was a few years back. However, his live set was absolutely amazing. Good showman, good band and they stuck to the stuff which everyone knew and sung along to. I also started a pit, which I haven't done in years. You know you're getting old when you're one of the few people who knows Tournequet...

Adam Green: Again, really impressed me. I loved "Friends Of Mine" but Gemstones was pretty gash and I'd heard he was crap live. However, he seemed pretty motivated here, and got everyone singing along. He also played a good bit of "Friends Of Mine" which made me happy.

A further commendation goes to the Cabaret tent on Friday and Saturday. There was a guyt there whose job it was to sweep up after the acts had finished, and he looked like Lionel Ritchie. We heckled all the other acts (apart from Min In Coats, they rock) until he came on afterwards. He even sung Hello and Dancing On The Ceiling to us. The Bacardi Bar was also hella cool, and a good place to score. However, because we were camped directly by the part of the perimiter fence which had holes in, we had all the theives sneaking in with knives to steal stuff. As a result, I got about 3 hours sleep in a 60 hour period while keeping watch, and am now pretty ill. Still a fucking amazing weekend though.