TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Bands who cames back strong

Sebadoh was my favorite band in high school; even when it got to the point that I hadn't listened to them in a couple of years, I still thought they were good.

I finally cut the cord last month and sold everything by them I owned. I realized well before then that I didn't like them anymore, but nostalgia can be powerful; I still remember listening to "Willing to Wait" on repeat after my first girlfriend dumped me.

Tool.

Each album gets better and better.

No fucking way; Laturalus sucked and was a HUGE step down from Aenema. Not to mention the fact that Maynard seems to be more concerned with APC than he is with Tool in terms of channelling his creative energies.

Bruce Springsteen went from four track folkster on Nebraska to 80s pop rock god on Born In The U.S.A. Although some would say that was a turn for the worse.

Actually most critics and Springsteen fans consider BITUSA to be Springsteen's zenith point creatively, as after BITUSA Bruce bottomed out in terms of having he creative fire that fueled him from that rather lengthy stretch from Born to Run through Born in the USA and started going into a deep decline with him doing love songs and other music that only would appeal to the die-hard fans of his...

As for U2, Pop is a decent but flawed album that had a shit first single (Discoteque) and was rushed WAY Too fast due to U2 being idiots and arranging the tour for the album before the fucker was done, resulting in the final product being heavily flawed. It had an interesting theme to it (a "God Is Dead" rock-disco concept album) but it just fell apart in terms of execution....

Tool.

Each album gets better and better.

No fucking way; Laturalus sucked and was a HUGE step down from Aenema. Not to mention the fact that Maynard seems to be more concerned with APC than he is with Tool in terms of channelling his creative energies.

Wow, now thats just moronic. Did you actually bother listening to Lateralus or did it just suck cuz its new?

And, about the APC thing, and this has been explained a million times...Tool ALWAYS takes years between releases. There was such a long time before Lateralus' release that the minions thought that theyd broken up. Do you even realize that there are other side-projects within Tool than what Maynard Keenan is doing? Do you realize that APC isnt Keenan's only creative outlet, its a completely different entity?

Lateralus was amazing and no doubt the best record of 2001. Its fair enough to say its not as good as Aenema or Undertow but to say that it 'sucked' totally ruins your musical credibility as far as Im concerned.

Bruce Springsteen went from four track folkster on Nebraska to 80s pop rock god on Born In The U.S.A. Although some would say that was a turn for the worse.

Actually most critics and Springsteen fans consider BITUSA to be Springsteen's zenith point creatively, as after BITUSA Bruce bottomed out in terms of having he creative fire that fueled him from that rather lengthy stretch from Born to Run through Born in the USA and started going into a deep decline with him doing love songs and other music that only would appeal to the die-hard fans of his...

People don't like Tunnel of Love? I'd say everything Springsteen did from Greetings From Asbury Park to Tunnel of Love was fantastic. I do admit he then fell into a massive decline, but I have never heard anything but praise for Tunnel.

And The Rising was a fairly successful comeback album, I thought?

People don't like Tunnel of Love? I'd say everything Springsteen did from Greetings From Asbury Park to Tunnel of Love was fantastic. I do admit he then fell into a massive decline, but I have never heard anything but praise for Tunnel.

"Tunnel of Love" was an extremely mellowed out album and that a lot of Springsteen fans don't like it because it signaled the end of the hungry and angry period of Bruce's career that was at the heart of his music during the period of "Born to Run" through "BITUSA". At the heart of those albums, there was a level of anger and angst in Bruce's music, between him dealing with his record label, who was threatening to drop him around the time he was recording Born to Run to the angst over the decline of America in the late 70s, early to mid 80s that served as the heart and soul of his musical output. Tunnel of Love was more mellow than his previous albums given it's themes of love and relationships, and for a lot of people it signified an end of the era with regards to Bruce going off into new stuff that was quite different from what Bruce had been doing for the previous decade.

And The Rising was a fairly successful comeback album, I thought?

The Rising sold pretty well given the fact that Bruce promoted the album sans MTV and it did get a shitload of gushingly positive reviews. But in my eyes at least, it's a pretty horrible album that reaks of Springsteen cashing in on 911. I'd rank Tunnel of Love, despite it's flaws, as being better than the Rising personally.

Wow, now thats just moronic. Did you actually bother listening to Lateralus or did it just suck cuz its new?

Lateralus would have been better off if Tool had made it into an EP and basically cut about 2/3rds of the crap on the album.

Guest JebusNassedar

Young as I may be, I'm pretty sure Mission of Burma qualifies here.

For those who dont know, it's essentially a post-punk band who broke up 22 years later, got back later, and through some miracle, havent missed a step. I've listened through onoffon, and a good half of their Vs. album, and barring advancements in production, it's like onoffon came out maybe half a year later. It's really cool stuff, if you're into the genre.

From what I've been able to tell, Neurosis just switched everything the fuck up through their career, from their starts as what sounds like a fairly standard metal band. But I've only heard one old song of theirs, and The Eye of Every Storm. I need more Neurosis.

Tom Waits has been able to keep up pretty well with current music trends, but I dont know if you'd call "Real Gone" a reinvention.

"City of Blinding Lights" and "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own."  Every song on Achtung Baby is better than both of them, but you take what you can get in the twilight years.

I don't know, I'll take HTDAAB over most of the other U2 albums I've heard, including Achtung Baby.

Original of the Species, Man and a Woman, Yahweh- some great underrated stuff that I'd take over most of Achtung Baby.

Yeah, I don't like that album as much as I used to, but it's still pretty cool. Zooropa's cool too, to follow on Coat's post. The first half of that--and the Johnny Cash guest appearance at the end--are U2 not sounding much like U2, which is pretty appealing.

Another Prince reinvention; Going from the jazz instrumental album, N.E.W.S, which IIRC didn't even crack the top 200 (Not that Prince really cares about commercial success anymore due to his heaps upon heaps of money) to the old school funk/ R&B stylings of Musicology, which made him a relevent artist for the first time in ten years.

I don't know if they count, but Fountains of Wayne were still relatively obscure after their first album, and then "Utopia Parkway" (which was good, but not quite as catchy as their first album). Then they were basically unheard of for about three or four years until "Welcome Interstate Managers" came out and the "Stacy's Mom" phenomenom on the radio. "Interstate Managers" isn't _that_ different from their previous efforts, but maybe just a matter of putting out the right album at the right time.

Gorillaz definitely deserve mention. In 2001 they got a lot of mainstream attention for an interesting gimmick and a catchy single, and then from mid-2002 onwards, they completely faded into obscurity (not counting the most recent Blur record, of course). Then this year they come out of nowhere with Feel Good Inc. and Demon Days debuts in the top ten for albums. Definitely a very strong comeback for them this year.