TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Why yes, I did know he switched up his abortion stance.

The new age pseudobabble makes sense if you sit and read it. Since it's not exactly the most normal thing to say, it makes him sound batshit nuts. Then again, he is trying to run for President in the 21st century on a high horse.

I'm still an Obama guy, but Kucinich stood out for me most. At least once every election cycle one of the "no chance in hell" candidates appeals to me for a few days.

kucinich.jpg

Tell me this guy isn't doing something right.

That motherfucker. Look at the twinkle in his eyes.

I've been a fan of his for a while, of course. If he made it to the actual election, who can say?

Why yes, I did know he switched up his abortion stance.

The new age pseudobabble makes sense if you sit and read it. Since it's not exactly the most normal thing to say, it makes him sound batshit nuts. Then again, he is trying to run for President in the 21st century on a high horse.

I'm still an Obama guy, but Kucinich stood out for me most. At least once every election cycle one of the "no chance in hell" candidates appeals to me for a few days.

kucinich.jpg

Tell me this guy isn't doing something right.

Baby Ewww Baby Ewwww Girl!

DAMN!

He was mayor of Cleveland the year she was born, and was elected to Congress the year she graduated from high school. I'm sorry, but that's just creepy.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows Illinois Senator Barack Obama with a statistically insignificant two point advantage over the former First Lady. It’s Obama 32% Clinton 30%. Former North Carolina Senator John Edwards remains in third with support holding steady at 17%. No other candidate tops 3%.

First GOP debate is tomorrow night, 10 participants. Should be interesting to see how these guys play their loyalties to Bush & differentiate from one another. It should be a more colorful event than the Dems of last week with Tancredo sucking up to the Invaders of the world, Rudy, McCain, and Hunter trying to out-Bush's war-is-perfect each other, and Ron Paul trying in vain to remind everyone of the whole 'small govt' aspect of the Republican Party.

Lineup:

Sen. John McCain (AZ)

Sen. Sam Brownback (KS)

Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani

Former WI Gov Tommy Thompson

Former AR Gov Mike Huckabee

Former MA Gov Mitt Romney

Former VA Gov Jim Gilmore

Rep Duncan Hunter (CA)

Rep Tom Tancredo (CO)

Rep Ron Paul (TX)

I noticed Ron Paul voted against the Iraq spending bill w/withdrawal timetable.

I have probably been following this race closer than anyone I know and I had no idea Jim Gilmore was running.

He's one of the guys claiming to be the 'only conservative' in the field. Of course, he's one of the 'conservatives' supporting nation-building and other ideas.

Obviously Ron Paul would vote against the withdrawal bill. He's as close to libertarianism as the GOP gets these days, a $100+ billion dollar bill can't sit too well with him. He has been against the Iraq War from the beginning & gave 2 great speeches in opposition to the surge a few months ago. It would be hypocritical of him to vote for that much expenses with only the bone of a timetable thrown in.

Apparently Mitt Romney called Bush to offer his support for the veto & the continuing Iraq 'strategy'.

The Brainwashed Gene is ready to pimple up to the surface.

The Republican debate is on right now. I'm flipping between that and "My Name is Earl."

Man, McCain's bombing worse than Ishtar.

Mitt Romney's favorite book is Battlefield Earth. WTF?

Mormon and a Scientologist?

In other better news, according to Political Insider Chuck Hagel and Mike Bloomberg had a two hour plus dinner meeting. Bloomberg/Hagel Unity '08. Liberal and a conservative. (I know Bloomberg is a Republican but thats in name only) Sounds good to me.

EDIT: This is purely speculation but could Romney be trying to draw money from wealthy Scientologists? Everything he does is very calculated so it really wouldn't be that far out there, and perhaps is using this as what could become a religous tolerance theme for his campaign that could help to distract from the Mormon issue without seperating himself from his church.

Today CBSNews.com informed its staff via email that they should no longer enable comments on stories about presidential candidate Barack Obama. The reason for the new policy, according to the email, is that stories about Obama have been attracting too many racist comments.

from CBS News blog

Obama has also been assigned a Secret Service detail because of a high volume of death threats.

Former governor Mitt Romney (R-MA) delivered the commencement address today at Pat Robertson’s Regent University, praising the televangelist who has repeatedly spouted hateful and bigoted remarks at millions of Americans.

From the excerpts of Romney’s speech released this morning: “This university, its students, its alumni and the faculty serve as an example of Dr. Robertson’s dedication to strengthening and then nurturing the pillars of this community and our country: education, fellowship, and advancement.”

Guest Richard McBeef

Well, I don't suppose you can bash Pat Robertson at the university he runs, but even showing up there is ill-advised.

Any candidate with actual convictions would use the opportunity to destroy Robertson and the false moral pillars upon which he rests his hatred, then immediately refund the appearance fee.

These guys are trying way too hard to convince themselves that Nov '06 did not happen.

That also reminds me of how, despite being a rather lackluster college on top its hate-philosophy, Regent grads have been hired by the Bush Admin in such mass.

Guest Richard McBeef
Any candidate with actual convictions would use the opportunity to destroy Robertson and the false moral pillars upon which he rests his hatred, then immediately refund the appearance fee.

Don't you think pulling a pro wrestling swerve at a commencement ceremony would have some long-term ramifications for one's aspirations in public life?

No, and that kind of safest-possible-route rationale is what's lead the average American to dismiss all the candidates as the same shit in different suits.

I did. Well, the speech he gives in Hunt for Red October about how Jack Ryan was a marine and survived a helicopter crash, and that maybe they should give the kid a chance.

K.

It does appear that Thompson will announce in June or July. He currently polls at 10-15% and would certainly get a bump with a real announcement, possibly even starting a campaign at 20%. I, personally, think he has a better shot at the GOP nomination than Romney at the very least.

Some comedy over the weekend on Fox/Friends as Bill Kristol was angry that the GOP candidates weren't treated to the kind of softball questions that they'll be seeing tossed from Brit Hume next month.

Not at all.

I do think his comments were taken out of context though.

I hate to go to bat for Sharpton, but it seems pretty obvious that he was referring to the atheist Hitchens, whom he was debating (and who just wrote a book called God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything), rather than Romney.

The talk of a Bloomberg/Hagel ticket keeps getting louder.

Would those two be riding in on Rocinante for you, Czech?

I don't see how a Bloomberg/Hagel ticket could survive the GOP primary. Also, I'm not a Bloomberg fan with his "wars" against trans-fat and smoking in New York City so the last thing I want him to do is win the White House and start instituting these controls "that are good for us" across the board.

Sign in to follow this