TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Ron Paul. My guy.

The gold standard's gonna reign in health care costs and lower gas prices.

And you poke fun at Obama supporters for being naive and short on substance?

He does seem to pretty much share your views on race issues. ;)

Regardless of what the media tell us, most white Americans are not going to believe that they are at fault for what blacks have done to cities across America. The professional blacks may have cowed the elites, but good sense survives at the grass roots. Many more are going to have difficulty avoiding the belief that our country is being destroyed by a group of actual and potential terrorists -- and they can be identified by the color of their skin. This conclusion may not be entirely fair, but it is, for many, entirely unavoidable.

Indeed, it is shocking to consider the uniformity of opinion among blacks in this country. Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5% of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty, and the end of welfare and affirmative action.... Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the "criminal justice system," I think we can safely assume that 95% of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.

from the Ron Paul Political Report, 1992

wookie.jpg

Ron Paul. My guy.

The gold standard's gonna reign in health care costs and lower gas prices.

And you poke fun at Obama supporters for being naive and short on substance?

He does seem to pretty much share your views on race issues. ;)

Regardless of what the media tell us, most white Americans are not going to believe that they are at fault for what blacks have done to cities across America. The professional blacks may have cowed the elites, but good sense survives at the grass roots. Many more are going to have difficulty avoiding the belief that our country is being destroyed by a group of actual and potential terrorists -- and they can be identified by the color of their skin. This conclusion may not be entirely fair, but it is, for many, entirely unavoidable.

Indeed, it is shocking to consider the uniformity of opinion among blacks in this country. Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5% of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty, and the end of welfare and affirmative action.... Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the "criminal justice system," I think we can safely assume that 95% of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.

from the Ron Paul Political Report, 1992

wookie.jpg

Say it ain't so, Chewie.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

What? But Washington IS full of law-breaking blacks! Everybody knows that.

Smitty, how could I hate black people as much as you make me out to if I rarely even come in contact with any.

Romney got boring real fast because whenever he got asked with a tough question dealing with his experience on the issue in question, he would always respond with the "My record as Gov. speaks for itself" excuse.

Romney got boring real fast because whenever he got asked with a tough question dealing with his experience on the issue in question, he would always respond with the "My record as Gov. speaks for itself" excuse.

Yeah, that's too much of a "check out johnkerry.com" thing for me. Why does New England keep electing babbling jackasses?

Apparently Barack Obama's favorite TV show is The Wire. That pretty much proves that he's the best candidate.

Man, if he listens to the Wu-Tang Clan, you might have to join his campaign!

Apparently Barack Obama's favorite TV show is The Wire. That pretty much proves that he's the best candidate.

This isn't so much a "Hey, Barack Obama likes this 'urban' thing that I, an upper middle-class white college student, also like! Awesome" thing so much as a "Hey, Barack Obama likes this really smart TV show about the myraids way America has failed its underclass. That's pretty sweet" thing.

Also, Hillary Clinton said her favorite shows are Grey's Anatomy and American Idol :rolleyes:

So, just summing up. Ron Paul:

-Thinks 19 out of 20 black people are literally retards, criminals, and maybe monkeys.

-Says that it's Evil Whitey's fault they got that way.

-When asked about those comments later, claimed someone else said them. Refused to say who.

-Thinks evolution is false.

-Has run for president before. Lost. Badly. Received less than 1% of the vote.

-In that election, he ran under the Libertarian banner... while still a registered Republican. Huh?

-Somehow went from being a combat surgeon to being a gynecologist.

-Is from Texas. (Is there a less appealing state for any candidate to hail from at this point?)

-Once considered becoming a Lutheran minister. Was married in a Presbyterian church. Had his kids baptized Episcopalian. Now goes to a Baptist church. Huh?

-Named his first son after himself, Ron Paul Jr. Never a good sign.

-Is kinda wishy-washy on several issues: abortion, gay marriage, the environment, stem cells, etc. Resorts to the "the states should decide for themselves" cop-out a lot.

Aside from the various issues I disagree with him on (of which there are many), all that stuff makes him look pretty damn goofy.

What's the appeal with him, exactly? His main platform seems to be "cut taxes, end the war, Big Brother is bad". Nothing terribly unique or revolutionary there.

Obama seems to have basically caught up with Hillary nationally, and seems poised to lay the smack down in NH and SC.

BOLD PREDICTION: Kentucky will be a red state in 2008 (new Kentucky polls out today...McCain and Huckabee poll very well here, Romney...not so much).

Oh for fucks sake....

Once considered becoming a Lutheran minister. Was married in a Presbyterian church. Had his kids baptized Episcopalian. Now goes to a Baptist church. Huh?

Mainline Protestant churches are all pretty much the same. Bake sales and God's pretty cool and shit.

Plenty of mainline Protestants would disagree with that. But that's beside the point, because it Paul's case it sounds like he kept getting pissed off at his current sect for something, jumping to another one, wash rinse repeat. It's understandable that someone changes their mind about stuff like that as they get older, but belonging to four different branches seems odd to me.

If only Arnold Swarzenegger could run. Barack vs. The terminator would be a dream match.

That said, I'm not ruling out someone picking Arnie as their running mate. He can run for VP, after all. And he probably would help with the youth vote. In fact, he'd probably be a huge boost to whoever they paired him with.

Really, I'm just waiting for him to announce that he'll be running alongside William Jennings Bryan. The weird following he has really makes no sense to me. But hey, it looks like most Republican voters seem to get it (and thankfully see through Romney), so I suppose it's okay.

I'm actually pumped for an election where I'll actually have two legit choices instead of one... or more recently, none.

Obama seems to have basically caught up with Hillary nationally, and seems poised to lay the smack down in NH and SC.

BOLD PREDICTION: Kentucky will be a red state in 2008 (new Kentucky polls out today...McCain and Huckabee poll very well here, Romney...not so much).

I hate to say it, but it would be foolish to count out Clinton at this point in the game. Obama has yet to be really challenged on the issues, and while he is an excellent orator and an engaging personality, to me me he is style with little substance. The real test for him and everyone else with be Super Tuesday in Feburary and while winning Iowa and New Hampshire is nice and all, I just can't see him carry states like California and New York just yet. Remember recent history, Bill Clinton in 1992 came in DEAD last in Iowa and came in second to Paul Tsongas in New Hampshire (which led to his comeback stuff) (sp), Bush I came in third in Iowa in 1988 and Reagan lost in Iowa in 1980. It is possible for Hillary to regain momentum.

I'm also not keen on Obama, because to me, he comes off as a lightweight. Harping change and hope is good and nice, but it would not be enough to defeat the Republicans, who will be all over Obama like flies on shit. If Obama runs against a guy like McCain, I'm afraid were in for four more years of the staus quo.

I'm not sure, i dont think the Democratic side is fragmented enough for there to be some radical shift post-NH - i think it's going to be more like Kerry/Dean the last time around. There are only 3 major candidates and they all finished with like 30 percent or more in Iowa. None of them skipped Iowa for NH or ignore NH for Iowa. They all spent time and money there.

The republican side has more 'serious' candidates and some of them skipped Iowa to finish strong in NH (McCain, Rudy) and others like Huckabee put their eggs in Iowa and wont finish strong in NH. in races like these which are more fragmented, it's more likely for later primaries to produce shifts in the campaign, as it did with Tsongas and Clinton and all those guys back in 92.

The Democrat side just isn't like that. I see later states taking their cues from Iowa and NH. If Obama wins NH, he's gonna be the candidate. For Republicans, winning in NH doesn't guarantee anything (unless huckabee won NH which won't happen)

Basically, like I said earlier, assuming Obama wins tonight, I think he's in the clear. He's going to win in South Carolina, and go into Super Tuesday with all the momentum on his side. I really don't see how Hillary can overcome losing three primaries, all in different parts of the country, and go into the next round of primaries looking like a viable presidential candidate.

This isn't so much a "Hey, Barack Obama likes this 'urban' thing that I, an upper middle-class white college student, also like! Awesome" thing so much as a "Hey, Barack Obama likes this really smart TV show about the myraids way [sic] America has failed its underclass. That's pretty sweet" thing.

What I was getting is that I don't care about any candidate's entertainment preferences at all. Lots of idiots love The Wire too. Check out our TV folder for evidence. If his favorite show was The Office, I wouldn't say that he cares about the increasing plight of the middle class professional. You're assigning too much to an offhand remark.

I'm sorry. This folder brings out the worst in me.

This isn't so much a "Hey, Barack Obama likes this 'urban' thing that I, an upper middle-class white college student, also like! Awesome" thing so much as a "Hey, Barack Obama likes this really smart TV show about the myraids way [sic] America has failed its underclass. That's pretty sweet" thing.

What I was getting is that I don't care about any candidate's entertainment preferences at all. Lots of idiots love The Wire too. Check out our TV folder for evidence. If his favorite show was The Office, I wouldn't say that he cares about the increasing plight of the middle class professional. You're assigning too much to an offhand remark.

I'm sorry. This folder brings out the worst in me.

Yeah, I think you're assigning way too much to Byron's offhand remark, too.

I'm going to vote for whatever Democrat gets the nomination, I think. I'm fine with the three real contenders at this point.

I'm going to vote for a third party candidate. I hate so much about everyone.

Obama's probably on pace for about 400 electoral votes. Might as well lie back and enjoy it at this point, right?

Sign in to follow this