TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

I found this quote off everyone's favorite conservative bashing website Media Matters:

On the March 15 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Glenn Beck said: "Hillary Clinton cannot be elected president because ... there's something about her vocal range." He went on to say, "There's something about her voice that just drives me -- it's not what she says, it's how she says it," adding, "She is like the stereotypical -- excuse the expression, but this is the way to -- she's the stereotypical bitch, you know what I mean?" Beck also asked: "[A]fter four years, don't you think every man in America will go insane?" and pleaded, "I'm sorry for being such a pig. But please, America. Please. I don't think I could do it for four years. I mean, sure the country is going to go to hell in a handbasket, but could we make this about me for a second? I just don't think I could take it from her." He also said that "there is a range in women's voices that experts say is just the chalk, I mean, the fingernails on the blackboard."

I doubt theres very many men in America who havent thought the same exact thing but I wonder how many would have the guts to say it on a nationally aired radio show?

Maybe this is why you have bad luck with women.

Honestly though, I know we've discussed this before...but I think Hillary legitimately scares the hell out of most of the GOP talking heads on TV and radio. They know she'd probably run over whoever the Republicans would trot out to oppose her. They fear the Clinton Machine.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Other than Huckabee, she's the only candidate that I think could be worse than what we have now.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not excited about her. I just have gotten this sense for the past couple years that people like Sean Hannity are really scared of her getting the Democratic nomination.

I'd be shocked if HIllary lost the nomination. I've always thought she was gonna win (though even I was fooled by that Iowa to NH period), but the Obama/Hillary contest has turned into the Clintons' sort of political fight. I like Obama better but his unwillingness to fight dirty makes it hard to see him winning the general election even if he wins this one.

Other than Huckabee, she's the only candidate that I think could be worse than what we have now.

Oh, do tell.

I'm not excited about Hillary at all, but most the attacks on her tend to be bullshit, Marv's hero Glenn Beck not liking her voice or some crap like that.

I think Hillary would probably make a decent president- she almost certainly won't keep all her promises , but she won't make any major fuck ups like Bush will either.

I've said before, she might be power mad but that doesn't mean she won't be good at the job. Maybe she has the attitude of do anything to get elected and then once she has the presidency try and change things for the better. Like her or not, she's a fiercely intelligent woman, and Bill will have a big role in her presidency if it happens, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I don't see how she could possibly be that terrible.

Honestly though, I know we've discussed this before...but I think Hillary legitimately scares the hell out of most of the GOP talking heads on TV and radio. They know she'd probably run over whoever the Republicans would trot out to oppose her. They fear the Clinton Machine.

Honestly, I thought it was the opposite: they hoped Hillary would get the nomination because they consider her unelectable. She was, and still is, very alienating to a lot of voters. I'd have thought they'd be more worried about Barack or even Edwards winning.

It's possible a lot republicans underestimated her and now realise her winning the presidency isn't totally out of the question.

Looks like Obama won South Carolina.

Fox News is saying that South Carolina hasn't gone for a 'Democratic President since Jimmy Carter in 1976'.

Because there's been so many Democratic Presidents since Jimmy Carter. They must be counting Jed Bartlet and Matthew Santos.

I wonder what fallout will come out of this primary contest. Obama is DESTROYING Clinton in this state and I don't know if there is that much positive spin she can put on losing by 15+ points (and it looks like it might be more). This will be the first time in this Democratic race a candidate has won 50% of the vote.

Maybe she has the attitude of do anything to get elected and then once she has the presidency try and change things for the better.

How often does that happen? "Well, he led a dirty campaign to steal the victory, but at least he made the trains run on time!"

I wonder what fallout will come out of this primary contest. Obama is DESTROYING Clinton in this state and I don't know if there is that much positive spin she can put on losing by 15+ points (and it looks like it might be more). This will be the first time in this Democratic race a candidate has won 50% of the vote.

The Sexism card wins in a total massacre of the race card! I dont think the race card can come back from this!

Im surprised the people of SC didnt pick Edwards by default.

Yeah, that is completely surprising, considering the huge black population in SC, and the fact that Edwards barely has any associations with South Carolina anymore.

You gotta be fucking kidding me with the Glenn Beck stuff, by the way. You're a straight up moron for that.

Obama might win a few of the smaller states but Clinton will get NY and California. I'm hoping he snags California away from her and at least has a strong showing in New York. I just don't see him winning any of the northeast since they seem to be hung up on their type of democrat and that is not Obama.

I think he might do well in the midwest though and the south I think he'll take pretty strongly.

I really hope I'm wrong on California going to Clinton cause if she gets both those states but the Northeast, it will be all over.

The right course of action is to make preparations as quickly as possible to bring our people home. It does not mean as soon as order is restored...it doesn’t mean as soon as Democracy is flourishing...it doesn’t mean as soon as we’ve established a viable nation...as soon as possible means as soon as we can get out...without losing any American lives

Date certain, Mr. President, are not the criteria here. What’s the criteria and what should be the criteria is our immediate, orderly withdrawal...And if we don’t do that, and other Americans die, other Americans are wounded, other Americans are captured, because we stayed too long, longer than necessary, then I would say that the responsibilities for that lie with the Congress of the United States who did not exercise their authority under the Constitution of the United States and mandate that they be brought home as quickly and safely as possible.

Any guesses on who offered up these doozies?

Probably one of the Republican contenders on Clinton's foreign policy in the 90s. Outside of Ron Paul, a similar quote can probably be found for them all.

Anyway, McCain?

Is is too late for a new candidate to run for either the Dems or Rebs? Such as Al Gore or Michael Bloomberg?

Anyone can announce intentions to run as a 3rd party but the problem is its really hard and expensive and a time consuming process to get on enough ballots to make it worthwhile.

Though people will be begging for a 3rd party if it comes down to McCain and Clinton.

I guessed correctly at McCain, simply because I'm fairly sure Smitty 1) Wouldn't bring it up if it wasn't a pro-War guy saying it and 2) McCain is the only Congress guy who unwaveringly supports the war on the Republican Side.

And looking it up, that's the case. Both are from the early 90 ('93 and '94) regarding Somalia and Haiti. Apparently "Meet the Press" brought it up to him already and he said that he considered Somalia not in the vital "National Security Interests" like Iraq is, which is... yeah. That's a bit of a hit there.

To play Republican's Advocate, though: international politics changed a bit after the 9/11. Cliche, yes, but it is true in the fairest sense. Somalia didn't have nearly the same amount of importance as Iraq does today on multiple levels. Comparing two quotes about two completely different conflicts with much different consequences is unfair; are we honestly going to say that Haiti and Somalia are even close to losing Iraq? Frankly, the whole "flip-flop" wasn't that fair to Kerry, and I'm not sure it's really fair to McCain, especially in the situation here.

Marvin: You should go back to predicting football games. You were much more competent at that.

And you have to love Narcoleptic Jumper trying to defend Kucinich and Paul as not being extremists when the former believes in a 0% unemployment rate and the other is a bimetallist. No extremism there, nosiree!

I can't wait to have a co-Presidency! It's going to be so exciting, just like the 90s were! I'm glad that when we enter the 21st century next January it'll be with the same reliable faces I had in the last one. Did you know that a black dude won South Carolina before too, and it didn't mean SHIT! Who in the world would want someone whose only experience is saying they wanted to be President in kindergarten? And man oh man, do we need a President who will not only call the Republican party of the 80s the party that challenged the wisdom of the time, but list Reagan amongst their favorite Presidents of all time! Most of all, we need a President that will continue the polarization of America by constantly calling attention to their lightning rod status. I personally can't wait for four years of furious name calling and scandal hunting.

Go home, Clintons. Please, at least send Bill home. I've never seen someone crap all over the good will they had with people in such a short time as him.

I don't know why anyone would conclude that the Right is afraid of Hillary. They're licking their chops. After all, this would put the "lookin' out for the average man!" talking heads right back in business after the country has tired of their empty rhetoric. I'd say they're more frightened of Obama since he isn't an old, reliable target. Also, even though she's past that phase of life, I'm putting the over/under on "that time of the month" references at 3,856 in the first year of her prospective Presidency.

If nothing else, this campaign season has soured me on the Democratic party. Seeing the establishment line up very early behind an inferior candidate and then desperately try to defend ludicrous attacks and old-fashioned, cutthroat politics is disappointing. My guess is that the papers and various figures would rather endorse the candidate they think will win, rather than the better one. Business as usual is fun, and easy! All of these people are breathing a sigh of relief that the war has drifted from the public consciousness, because no one who voted for that orgy of profiteering and death deserves to be President of this country. Anyone who voted for the Patriot Act should also be disqualified in the eyes of the Left, but I guess we decided to gloss over the time when the party was a bunch of sheep being gently lead down the path of paranoia and fear.

This won't be like 2004, when I didn't really like Kerry but felt obligated to defend him since he was the considerable lesser of two evils, and then voted for him as well. If Hillary wins the nomination I'm voting for whoever the Communist party nominates or some equivalent.

I don't understand this hate of Hillary coming from the Democrat side. Really, you'd vote Communist and be ok with McCain or Romney or Huckabee as president? Really?

Sandusky's rant may have come off sounding a bit over-zealous, but I do agree with most of his points. I mean, after the last four years of garbage we have had the Democratic candidates(well the ones with a chance to win) still seem timid to talk about getting our of Iraq, getting rid of the Patriot Act, illegal wire-tapping etc etc etc.....issues that are really no brainers for anyone that is to be considered a "liberal" Which is why it still needs to be explained to people that there is a difference between a "liberal" and a "democrat"

If nothing else, this campaign season has soured me on the Democratic party

That pretty much sums it up.

Would I rather have Obama or Hillary as President over McCain/Romney/Guliani/Huckabee etc.....YES. Am I excited and/or motivated at the thought of one of them as our President? No.

Well, for those of you not sold on Hillary or Obama, who would you like as a Democratic Candidate? Perhaps it's just me, but I'd actually be a bit excited if Obama got the nomination.

Sign in to follow this