TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Ferrarro is one of those demented progressive liberals who felt that it was finally time to "have a woman president" just basically for the sake of "having a woman president."

Listen bitch, Ferrarro is one of those demented PEOPLE who felt etcetera, etcetera... don't act like it's some tangible liberal movement.

Mccain rejected Hagee's endorsement today after some old comments Hagee made about Hitler doing God's work came out. I knew the republicans would regret going after Obama's pastor. They've declared open season on themselves now.

Not so fast!

"I have said I do not believe Sen. Obama shares Rev. Wright's extreme views. But let me also be clear, Rev. Hagee was not and is not my pastor or spiritual adviser, and I did not attend his church for 20 years. I have denounced statements he made immediately upon learning of them, as I do again today," McCain said.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/22/mcc...agee/index.html

What I meant was that if she stays in past that point I was talking about, even though the superdelegates COULD change their minds, public opinion would quickly turn against her.

I doubt she cares.

Hillary is basically Ted Kennedy circa 1980, right now. She knows everyone will blame her if she stays in and Obama goes on to lose the GE, but she's convinced he can't win anyway, so she has to whatever it takes and that means going to the convention.

As long as she's marginalized by the public and the media, her opinion doesn't matter.

Hey, anyone remember when I said a long time ago "Hillary Clinton thinks she's Bobby Kennedy, but she's really Ted"? More proof of that!

Well, THIS is interesting.*

Ickes: Zero delegates for Obama in MI

Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:45 PM by Domenico Montanaro

Filed Under: 2008, Clinton, Obama, Michigan, Florida

From NBC/NJ’s Mike Memoli

On a conference call this morning, Clinton senior adviser Harold Ickes argued not only that Michigan’s and Florida’s delegations should receive full votes at the convention, but that the Michigan's 55 uncommitted delegates should be seated as such, not given to the Obama camp.

“The views of the voters in the Michigan primary and in the Florida primary [should] be respected and be reflected in terms of the allocation of delegates,” Ickes said. (For the numbers, if Clinton were awarded the delegates based on the results of the primary, she would get 73 delegates. Neither of the challenges to be taken up by the Rules and Bylaws Committee on May 31 call for splits adhere strictly to the results of the primaries.)

Communications Director Howard Wolfson later acknowledged that these uncommitted delegates would likely go for Obama, and that there were efforts from his supporters in the state to drive up the uncommitted count, since he wasn't on the ballot. But Ickes then added that it would be “presumptuous” to assume that these uncommitteds would go for either candidate, and that these delegates would “get a lot of attention” from both campaigns.

The Clinton camp has argued consistently for months now that Michigan and Florida should be seated. But to what degree has varied of late. Terry McAuliffe told NBC’s Tim Russert on Meet the Press May 11 that the campaign “certainly might” accept giving Michigan and Florida half votes, which he claimed DNC rules called for. As DNC chairman, McAuliffe wrote about threatening to strip Michigan of 50% of its delegates if it moved up its date. Bill Clinton has also called a 50% penalty “appropriate.”

Ickes today said Michigan and Florida should be seated fully because, in his view, they have already been punished.

“The fact is that punishment was imposed by virtue of not running the primaries there; the lessons were learned,” he said, adding that the attention should now turn toward winning the states in the fall.

Asked why then the votes should count if there weren’t traditional, contested primaries, Ickes pointed to significant turnout in both states.

“People came out in droves,” he said. “They knew who they wanted to vote for.”

Both Ickes and Wolfson declined to say what would happen if the Rules and Bylaws Committee ruled for anything less than a full commitment, but did not rule out taking it to the Credentials Committee at the convention. Ickes sits on the committee and last year voted to strip Florida of its delegates.

Wolfson also continued to press the campaign’s electability argument, pointing to new Quinnipiac numbers in Ohio and Florida specifically that show her running stronger against McCain than Obama.

“We urge superdelegates to look at the map that we believe makes very clear that Sen. Clinton would be the stronger nominee against John McCain,” he said. “We believe the party ought to choose the person who is already winning these [swing] states, has won them in primaries, and would be the strongest possible nominee.”

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/200...22/1052820.aspx

* If "interesting" is defined as stupid, bullheaded, stubborn, and therefore completely in character for this campaign.

Anyone else hear this rumor about Tucker Carlson possibly throwing his hat in the ring for the Libertarian nomination?

Makes more sense then Bob Barr considering Barr's past doesn't really say "libertarian" unless he has changed drastically on social issues.

Mike Gravel, Bob Barr, AND Tucker Carlson? I'd have never thought in a million years the Libertarian presidential nomination would be so sought after.

Anyone else hear this rumor about Tucker Carlson possibly throwing his hat in the ring for the Libertarian nomination?

Makes more sense then Bob Barr considering Barr's past doesn't really say "libertarian" unless he has changed drastically on social issues.

He hasn't. He's still the same guy that voted for the Patriot Act, thinks we need to spend multi-billions on the marijuana plant, and that blowjobs deserve impeachment. He'll get attention this way, though.

Well Hillary has stepped to a new low today, bringing up a possible Obama assassination as a reason to stay in the Democratic race...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05232008/news/...y_wa_112232.htm

May 23, 2008 --

Hillary Clinton today brought up the assassination of Sen. Robert Kennedy while defending her decision to stay in the race against Barack Obama.

"My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it," she said, dismissing calls to drop out.

Watch a video of the editorial board meeting here.

Clinton made her comments at a meeting with the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader's editorial board while campaigning in South Dakota, where she complained that, "People have been trying to push me out of this ever since Iowa."

Obama, the first African-American to advance so far in the race for the White House, has faced threats, sources have said.

Robert Kennedy, the younger brother of President John F. Kennedy, was gunned down in 1968 after winning the California primary. He had been a hero on the left for his civil rights agenda and calls to end the war in Vietnam.

Barack Obama, who leads Clinton by nearly 200 delegates and has already secured a majority of pledged delegates, has been the subject of threats. Early in the campaign, the Secret Service gave him a security detail at the request of Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Illinois).

Clinton criticized an "urgency" to end the campaign prematurely, saying, "Historically, that makes no sense."

An Obama / Clinton ticket would solidify the Democrats winning the White House. McCain's fucked if they do team up once Obama is officially declared the nominee.

He tried to give her a way out following his win in Oregon and she didn't take it. He needs to leave her ass sitting on the side of the road babbling she was screwed out of it for being a woman. She has gone crazy. Like way out there bye bye

Keith Olbermann tells us how he really feels about Hillary Clinton's "assasination" comment in tonight's "Special Comment."

That was good the 1st 2 minutes...then he rambled.....and repeated....and so on........

Guest Desensitized

You know, if you do a Special Comment every goddamn day, it ceases to be a Special Comment. It's just a Comment. I love how it's "as he promised us," so that we didn't sit through 17 minutes of Geico commercials in vain, waiting for the silver-haired asshole to dispense his wisdom. I wonder how much credit this bloviating front-running asshole will give himself when Hillary doesn't win.

Everybody wants to rip on Olbermann for saying it, but nobody wants to explain why he's wrong. Interesting.

In other news...

Sources: Clinton, Obama supporters discuss exit strategies

Story Highlights

• Clinton's close friends tell CNN they're pushing for a "graceful exit strategy"
  • The strategy, they say, would have the two run on the same ticket
  • The discussions are not taking place between the campaigns
  • Obama's camp: "There are no talks underway between the campaigns"

Several close friends and supporters of Sen. Hillary Clinton said they are seeking a "graceful exit strategy" for Clinton from the race for the Democratic nomination, possibly as part of a joint ticket for the White House.

The discussions are not taking place between the campaigns but rather among informal campaign advisers on both sides who are trying to actively influence and shape the debate as the competition nears a close June 3.

Bill Burton, national spokesman for Obama's campaign, said that "there are no talks under way between the campaigns" and that any suggestion from Clinton insiders is "unequivocally untrue."

"We are two campaigns, in real competition, not having any such talks about exit strategies," Burton said.

Obama campaign chief strategist David Axelrod said "there have been zero discussions, back-channel or otherwise, between the campaigns."

Clinton campaign aides also deny that any talks are taking place between the campaigns, emphasizing that the contest is not over. Clinton herself said the report was "flatly untrue" during a meeting with the editorial board of a South Dakota paper Friday.

But some Clinton camp insiders and close friends are actively floating three scenarios that they believe will influence whether or how the two teams merge.

The first scenario is if Obama ignores Clinton and her supporters and makes the vice presidential offer to someone else.

One insider said, "This would be a total dismissal of her and totally unacceptable."

"This could mean open civil war within the party," another said. "A rupture in the party. If he doesn't offer at all, you've got a breakdown. A real resentment there."

Another source said it would not mean Clinton would refuse to campaign for Obama. But she would do so the way President Clinton campaigned for Al Gore, which the source characterized as "aloof."

Another source said it would affect the willingness of some women's groups to raise money for Obama.

The second scenario they foresee is for Obama to publicly offer Clinton the vice presidential spot, with the understanding that she would turn it down. But several Clinton friends say "the problem is, the two sides do not trust each other" to follow through on this.

The third scenario they envision would be trying to get both the candidates to sit down face-to-face and work out an agreement suitable to both parties. Some Clinton insiders say some points to consider would be how to help pay off the Clinton campaign debt -- roughly $30 million -- or whether he would offer support for a possible Clinton effort to become Senate majority leader.

Clinton insiders say Hillary Clinton is aware that some of her supporters are pushing for her to get an offer to join the ticket, but they say she has not thought about whether she wants the vice presidential slot because she's still campaigning for the top job.

There is a real split in the Clinton camp over whether she should even accept an offer to join the ticket, if it were to materialize.

On Thursday, meanwhile, a veteran Democratic activist said former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson has accepted Obama's request to begin a screening and selection process for the No. 2 spot. Watch what will influence Obama's choice for VP »

Johnson performed a similar role for Democratic presidential nominees Walter Mondale in 1984 and John Kerry in 2004.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton declined to comment on the report of his candidate's running mate search. But sources inside the Obama campaign say the top considerations for the job are likely to be age -- Obama is only 46 -- and national security experience.

Among possibilities mentioned by Obama insiders are former Sen. Sam Nunn of Georgia, retired Gen. Wesley Clark and former Democratic presidential rival Sen. Joe Biden.

Obama has publicly deferred questions about whether he would consider Clinton for the No. 2 spot, saying it would be presumptuous to talk about running mates before he has the nomination sewn up.

But he acknowledges what Clinton would bring to a ticket.

"Sen. Clinton has shown herself to be an extraordinary candidate," he said. "She is tireless; she is smart. She is capable. And so obviously, she'd be on anybody's short list to be a potential vice presidential candidate."

Democrats also speculate that Obama could pick a major Clinton backer, such as Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh, Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland or Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, who could deliver key swing states.

Another possibility could be one-time rival John Edwards, the former North Carolina senator who endorsed Obama last week. Edwards, who was John Kerry's running mate in 2004, says he's not interested.

Other possibilities include New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, another former presidential rival whose résumé is long on foreign policy experience and who would appeal to Latino voters, and Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a rising star in the party who would help with the women's vote.

Obama said Thursday that he is not discussing his selection process and does not have criteria for a running mate.

"No criteria right now. I still have to win the nomination," he said.

Although Obama is the Democratic front-runner and has captured a majority of pledged delegates after Tuesday's Kentucky and Oregon primaries, he has not clinched the 2,025 delegates needed to win the nomination against Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Despite the math, Clinton has vowed to remain in the race.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/23/dems.vp/index.html

Everybody wants to rip on Olbermann for saying it, but nobody wants to explain why he's wrong. Interesting.

I actually agree with him usually (I agree with him here), I just find him obnoxious and smug. He's not as bad as his right-wing counterparts, but he's still annoying.

He is just as bad as his right-wing counterparts. The only reason lefties won't say that is because they're lefties, just like righties won't say that guys like Rush and Hannity are bad. Olbermann's terrible.

Olbermann's show is completely one-sided, but I think if you watch it with a skeptical eye, it s good way to see stuff covered you don't see many other places. I actually think he's over-reacting to the assasination comments. However, his laundry-list of ways Mrs. Clinton has destroyed her credibility is completely fair and accurate. This woman, running for president, has contradicted herself at every opportunity when it suited her.

He is just as bad as his right-wing counterparts. The only reason lefties won't say that is because they're lefties, just like righties won't say that guys like Rush and Hannity are bad. Olbermann's terrible.

Olberman is a smug asshole, but he's really the only liberal with a regular timeslot on cable so I feel obligated to watch. He's a bastard, but he's my bastard damn it.

Yeesh. I had to stop that Olbermann rant. It's self-serving beyond belief, and the sheer rambling that goes on with his "We forgive you for blah, blah, blah" was intolerable. Anybody could turn around and do the same speech, inserting Obama or McCain into the slot instead, and come up with an embarrassing laundry list of inconsistencies for that particular candidate.

Hey I'm Keith Olbermann I'm going to go on a nine-minute self-important rant that's mostly just warmed-over DailyKos shit and then show some clips of monkeys doing silly things that I found on the internet and maybe also include some audio clips of Stewie the talking baby from the hit TV show Family Guy somewhere along the way. I am truly the spiritual successor of Edward R. Murrow.

The contentment to attack the messenger instead of arguing with the message continues, I see.

Well, NYU at least made an attempt to disagree with the content, except he got it completely WRONG.

Anybody could turn around and do the same speech, inserting Obama or McCain into the slot instead, and come up with an embarrassing laundry list of inconsistencies for that particular candidate.

Bullshit.

Not Obama. Not McCain. And so far, only Mike Huckabee has implied that Obama might get shot, though he'd never use it as a justification of political manuevering. No one , save Mitt Romney, has spent them much time rewriting their own past, and not like this, within the span of a few weeks. Hillary Clinton has rewritten her positions and her rules consistently since the Iowa Caucus. For example, Clinton is NOW arguing that the rules should be changed to make the winner of the popular vote the nominee (leaving out the inconvenient fact that the only way she could be considered the winner of the popular vote is if you don't count some measure the people who voted "uncommitted" as a vote for Obama). This was after arguing Michigan and Florida won't count, Michigan and Florida should count, caucuses shouldn't count, small state primaries shouldn't count, superdelegates should have the final say, superdelegates shouldn't have the final say, working-class white voters should count more than other demographics...you get the idea. And when asked WHY she stays in the race, she argues that primary season historically have lasted well into June (a valid point), but to illustrate her point she implies that she's doing it because something might come out about Obama causing the superdelegates to rethink their support for him, and reminding us that at one point in our history, the frontrunner was MURDERED as a justification for staying in. Don't fucking tell me you could say the same thing abut McCain or Obama, because they most certainly have not stooped to that level.

Olberman always comes across as a douche, but if you bother to listen to his argument, he hit it out of the ballpark this time.

He is just as bad as his right-wing counterparts. The only reason lefties won't say that is because they're lefties, just like righties won't say that guys like Rush and Hannity are bad.

What? No. And I'm certainly no lefty, but that's just wrong. Olbermann's nowhere near as overbearing as his right-wing opponents. When does he ever get as batshit crazy and confrontational as people like O'Reilly, Coulter, Savage, and the like? Or did I miss those episodes where he screamed at his guests, demanded their microphones be cut, claim that God is on his side, told blatant lies, and said that the other side is mounting a deliberate campaign to literally destroy America and all it stands for? His biggest sin is being a smug smartipants.

Guest Desensitized

The problem I've had with a lot of his anti-Hillary Mundane Comments is that he often turns to the camera and speaks directly to her. Keith, she's not watching, I am. As a result, I'm just being yelled at by some self-important news anchor, telling me what a terrible campaign I run. It's odd.

Olbermann doesn't have guests to shout down and cut off because he usually just has his lackey Rachel Maddow kicking around the decaying corpse of Pat Buchanan. His producers don't book those kinds of conflicts.

Sign in to follow this