TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

No man, Kerry used "Dreams" by Van Hagar at the end of his speech. WE'LL GET HIGHER AND HIGHER, STRAIGHT UP WE'LL CLIMB, WE'LL GET HIGHER AND HIGHER, LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND Man that ruled.

Oh, that's right....I think he used the U2 song as they were all just standing around for 20 minutes after the speech and at campaign appearances.

And, um, Van Halen (even the Sammy Hagar version) at a major party's nominating convention? I'm getting old.

Here's a transcript of the speech tonight: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/us/polit...text-obama.html

Edited by SuperJerk

I just got home from a gig and watched the whole speech on youtube. It was a non-network feed, with no crowd shots or anything. Just the podium and the speaker.

And I was blown away.

Wow.

My friend and I were giving Obama "Bip!"s.

It was awesome. I have not been that drawn into a speech in my life time. I will proudly vote for the guy I once bummed a smoke to. (and yes...he joked about not telling his wife) Because that is a man that I think can lead us now. Right now.

The future is here. Along with all of our hopes and fears and dreams. The future is now.

And I would like to ask the Senator from Illinois to open the door to it.

Guest WhackingCockDick

Did anyone confirm this with her personally yet? I don't know! Alaska!

That's a bold move, showing they are serious about leeching off women votes.

It doesn't make a difference to me since from what I can see, there's nothing unique about her positions, they're all typical Republican positions, but from a political standpoint, well played McCain.

The only real downside I see is the possibility that it's almost too blatant a political move to grab women. otoh, Americans are swayed by blatant political

Guest WhackingCockDick

Cute for a fortysomething but I'm still not voting Republican.

I mean, this is like the most transparent pandering move of all time. "Wait a second...I got it...women like...OTHER WOMEN!" I see this revelation occurring in a fashion like Will Arnett shouting "DOUBLE TROUBLE!" in the Human Giant Will Arnett sex tape skit.

It's a smart move by the Repbulicans, but when you have two personalities as dynamic as Obama and McCain, I personally still don't think the VP picks are going to be that big a factor this election. I mean, this country elected the perennially unpopular Dick Cheney VP twice in a row.

I mean, this is like the most transparent pandering move of all time. "Wait a second...I got it...women like...OTHER WOMEN!"

VP nominations are designed to be pandering, political moves. This makes sense.

It's a cheap parlor trick. My dad was all excited, claiming that it was going to get "all" of the Hillary votes. I don't know if anyone's noticed it yet, but that lady certainly isn't Hillary. She's just some lady. If Obama had picked a woman, the GOP would have freaked out and accused him of trying to gain sympathy votes. McCain does it, it's genius, visionary politicking. Amazing.

I mean, this is like the most transparent pandering move of all time. "Wait a second...I got it...women like...OTHER WOMEN!"

Yes, but even by that standard, this one is remarkable.

It's a cheap parlor trick. My dad was all excited, claiming that it was going to get "all" of the Hillary votes. I don't know if anyone's noticed it yet, but that lady certainly isn't Hillary. She's just some lady. If Obama had picked a woman, the GOP would have freaked out and accused him of trying to gain sympathy votes. McCain does it, it's genius, visionary politicking. Amazing.

The difference is that McCain is desperate to gain women's votes. Obama isn't. McCain's chief competition also wasn't a woman. It's a pandering move b/c it's reaching out to a part of the constituency that was largely ignored; women were not ignored in the Democratic race.

Yes, but even by that standard, this one is remarkable.

Welcome to a world where blacks and women are viable contenders. While having equal opportunity for candidates is obviously a step in the right direction, we're seeing the unfortunate side effects.

very smart pick by mccain. this is like the clarence thomas of VP nominees, just a dream freak-combination of conservatism and neglected demographic. it makes sense not just demographically, but she appears to be experienced and articulate about the republican position on natural resources--somebody who can retort to obama's energy position, "oh, you want to invest $150 billion in alternative energy that we can use in ten years, but give no relief in the meantime when we have the tools to do it?" and do it in a way that's first-person based and not general. offshore drilling will probably end up being one of the 2 or 3 big deciding factors. much may also be made of how obama effectively killed the temporary lift on the gas tax.

she will also make biden look old and cranky in their debates.

her youth and lack of experience will, of course, make it harder for them to stick to that particular talking point towards obama, but that may not end up mattering a whole lot.

Guest WhackingCockDick

If we can stop hating the Republican Party with every fiber of our being for a moment, what can also be spun as nice about this pick is that it's somebody with at least a teensy bit of experience in an executive branch, as opposed to a Senate lifer like Biden, and Obama, who spent his state senate term running for Congress, and his senate term running for President.

So Edwin, if this is just stupid transparent pandering (which it prob. is anyway), who would be McCain's best choice for a running mate? Romney? Pawlenty? Or should the Republicans not pick a running mate at all and just concede the race entirely? Why not close up shop for good while they're at it? Post-partisan Obamamerica will render the oppositionn--the very concept of an opposition, even--nonexistent. Pawn the office supplies now and get a jump on things.

EDIT: ew, I don't like her voice. Never mind, this pick blows.

I'm watching this announcement and subsequent speech, and it cracked me the fuck up that Palin proudly declared her husband (or someone, the online feed's sound was a little screwy) a union man. A USA chant! Ha!

Reader comment from CNN.com about Palin's pick:

carl

updated 4 minutes ago

I'm one of those hard core Hillary supporters I was one of her delegates. I will vote for McCain. Obama blatantly disrespected the democratic voters by picking Biden. How many votes did Biden get in the primaries? Everyone forgets that McCain has been more middle of the road on most issues and is known to work with the left on issues. Hell he worked with Ted Kennedy. He is nothing like George Bush that's why most of the real conservatives didn't want him.

I really like the premise of the Biden-Palin debates, because Biden debates pretty much exactly like I do.

Guest WhackingCockDick

You prattle on about shit nobody cares about and flash a disingenuous toothy grin often?

Sign in to follow this