TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

That Letterman thing was great. McCain being caught right in the middle of a lie once again and Olbermann and Letterman taking shots at him. Classic.

I get it..its that dirty little secret that still lurks around in America despite the fact that the majority of Americans have gotten past it.

I won't be happy until 100% of Americans get past it.

What can I say? I have a dream.

Actually, I have two dreams. This one, and one about Krystal Steal. But this one seems more important.

Snowplow Barbie emerges from her protective force field for the third time to spar with Katie Couric:

So good ol' GWB still didn't answer any of my questions in that little speech. Why didn't his administration see this coming and do anything to stop this? And why are these banks getting bailed out and none of the home owners who are getting foreclosed upon. The banks are just as at fault as the homeowners.

Banks > Foreclosed "homeowners"

First of all, until the entire mortgage is paid off, the bank that issued the mortgage is the "homeowner". The "homeowner" in your case is merely the "resident".

The economic impact of a few people getting their homes foreclosed is trumped by a couple of major banks going bankrupt. We're talking about a complete shutdown of the economy if the a couple of the key important banks fail. Everyone always mentions that the FDIC insures everyones money (up to a certain point) but the cold hard truth is the FDIC doesn't have enough money to cover the collapse of more than a handful of large banks at once. Past that point, all hell will break loose.

No one wants that to happen, which is why the banks have to be helped out.

I dont like it anymore than the next person, but at least Im informed enough to know that we can't just say no to a bailout/rescue effort of the banks unless we want a complete crash of the US economy within the next couple of weeks. You can blame anyone and everyone for the events that led up to today, but you have got to help out the banks somehow.

That Letterman thing was great. McCain being caught right in the middle of a lie once again and Olbermann and Letterman taking shots at him. Classic.

Ugh, wonder who Leno has on tonight.

The economic impact of a few people getting their homes foreclosed is trumped by a couple of major banks going bankrupt. We're talking about a complete shutdown of the economy if the a couple of the key important banks fail. Everyone always mentions that the FDIC insures everyones money (up to a certain point) but the cold hard truth is the FDIC doesn't have enough money to cover the collapse of more than a handful of large banks at once. Past that point, all hell will break loose.

I dont like it anymore than the next person, but at least Im informed enough to know that we can't just say no to a bailout/rescue effort of the banks unless we want a complete crash of the US economy within the next couple of weeks. You can blame anyone and everyone for the events that led up to today, but you have got to help out the banks somehow.

So, a bail-out is both necessary and inevitable, and the perfect opportunity for the Republicans to look like populists by voting against it, knowing that its going to pass anyways. The crisis is averted, but the people who were against averting the crisis reap the political benefit. Its a win-win for them.

Read this: http://www.thenextright.com/patrick-ruffin...nst-the-bailout

adackbar.jpg

"IT'S A TRAP!"

So good ol' GWB still didn't answer any of my questions in that little speech. Why didn't his administration see this coming and do anything to stop this? And why are these banks getting bailed out and none of the home owners who are getting foreclosed upon. The banks are just as at fault as the homeowners.

Banks > Foreclosed "homeowners"

First of all, until the entire mortgage is paid off, the bank that issued the mortgage is the "homeowner". The "homeowner" in your case is merely the "resident".

Holy shit, I actually agree with Marvin. This has to be his most coherent post ever.

Actually, I have two dreams. This one, and one about Krystal Steal. But this one seems more important.

Snowplow Barbie emerges from her protective force field for the third time to spar with Katie Couric:

My gawd, if Katie Couric can make you look like a dolt.... :blink:

Yeah that first part of the interview with them walking outside........I thought she was asking the thoughts of a high school senior with the way how Palin handled that shit. Talk about uncomfortably hilarious.

Holy shit, I actually agree with Marvin. This has to be his most coherent post ever.

The problem with bailing out just the banks and not the people stuck with unpayable mortgages is that is sends the message that is's a-ok to take huge, stupid risks with money as long as you're a million-dollar financial institution. Unless this thing boasts some balls-to-the-wall regulatory measures (eg companies that take the bailout being forced to switch to government pay-scale for executives or something along those lines) it's going to be a huge case of the very rich being able to get away with bad behavior simply because they're the very rich. I agree that a bailout of some kind is necessary (though the one on the table right now is pretty awful), but it really should include some provisions for helping out normal working people.

Dear Huck PAC family,

I ask 2 things of you right now:

First, read this email completely. I’m including my thoughts on the “bailout bill,” and I believe you will find them of interest. Second, if you agree with what I have to say, support my efforts at Huck PAC so we’ll continue to have a strong voice and we’ll have the capacity to support conservative candidates all across the nation who will stand and fight for our conservative principles … especially in times of crisis like we are facing as a nation today.

Frankly, I’m disappointed and disgusted with my own Republican party as I watch them attempt to strong-arm a bailout of some of America’s biggest corporations by asking the taxpayers to suck up the staggering results of the hubris, greed, and arrogance of those who sought to make a quick buck by throwing the dice. They lost, but want the rest of us to cover their bets so they won’t be effected in their lavish lifestyles as they figure out how to spend their tens of millions and in some cases, hundreds of millions in bonuses and compensation which was their reward for not only sinking their companies, but basically doing the same to the entire American economy.

It’s especially disconcerting to see the very people who pilloried me during the Presidential campaign for being a “populist” and not “understanding Wall Street” to now line up like thirsty dogs at the Washington, D. C. water dish, otherwise known as Congress, and plead for help. I thought these guys were the smartest people in America! I thought that taxpayers like you and I were similar to the people at the U. N. who have no translator speaking into their headset - that we just needed to trust those that I called the power bunch in the “Wall Street to Washington axis of power.”

The idea of a government bailout in which we’d entrust $700 billion to one man without Congressional oversight or accountability is absurd. My party or not, that is insanity and I believe unconstitutional.

Will there be far-reaching consequences without some intervention? Probably, but we honestly don’t know since we’ve really never seen this level of greed and stupidity all rolled into one massive move. But may I suggest that letting “Uncle Sugar” step in and bail out the billionaires who made the mess will be far worse and will start a long line of companies and individuals who will demand the same of the government---which last time I checked means that they will be demanding it out of YOU and ME. This is not money that Congress is risking from THEIR pockets or future, but ours. Many if not most of us have already experienced lost value on our homes, retirement accounts, and pensions. Now they’d like for us to assume some further risks so they won’t have to.

What happened to the “free market” idea? Is that only our view when we WIN and when we LOSE, we ask the government to come in and take away the pain?

If you are a small business owner, is this the way it works at your place? When you have a bad month, a bad year, or face having to close, can you go up to Congress and get them to write YOU a fat check to take away your risk?

Some of what contributed to this disaster is too much government in the form of Sarbanes/Oxley. Some is due to the tax structure that created the hunger for companies to “game” the system. Some is the common sense that was ignored like loaning money to people who can’t pay it back.

Wall Street has become Las Vegas east, but at least in Vegas, people KNOW they are gambling and they don’t expect the government to cover their losses at the tables. In Wall Street, they do. And the American taxpayer burdens the responsibility.

If Congress wants to do something, here are some suggestions:

1. Eliminate ALL capital gains taxes and taxes on savings and dividends right now. Free up the capital and encourage investment. This is the kind of economic stimulus the Fair Tax would bring and if Congress is going to lose money, let them lose it with lower taxes, not with public dollar bailouts of private market mistakes.

2. Repeal Sarbanes/Oxley. It has failed. It was supposed to prevent this. It didn’t. Kill it.

3. Demand that the executives who steered their ships into the ground be forced to pay back the losses of their companies. Of course, they can’t, so let them work and give back to the government and they can live like the people they put on the streets or kept there. It makes no sense to put them in jail—that’s just more they will cost you and me. I’d rather them go out and earn money—just not get to keep so much of it this time. I’m not talking about limiting CEO salaries---just those of the people who now are up in Washington begging for help because they ruined their companies.

Attempts by Democrats and Republicans to blame each other is nonsense. They are both guilty and ought to own up and admit it. They all lived off big campaign contributions and the swill of the lobbyists who strong armed them into permission to steal. Enough of blame. Fix it!

This would be a start. If we don’t hold these guys responsible, we are all finished.

Your support today will send a strong message to our Party Leadership in Washington that we are fed up with “business as usual!” And it will give us the resources to support strong conservative candidates who are campaigning hard for election this November. Those folk who share our beliefs and who will fight …not bail … on our principles. Please make an immediate contribution of $25, $50, $75, $100 or more to help make certain that the “business as usual” of Washington politics stops in January.

Thank you for your continued support and God Bless

Mike Huckabee

What's funny is that McCain wanted a meeting with the President and Congressional leadership, and the two candidates. Are they now conferred some extra power because they're nominees? Neither is really in charge of anything. This campaign is becoming embarassingly bad. Huckabee in '12!

So....Huckabee's answer to standing up to Wall Street fat cats and corporations is cutting the capital gains tax and implementing a "fair tax" (a national sales tax that would disproportionately tax poor people)?

What. The. Fuck.

To hell with Mike Huckabee. That's the shittiest idea ever.

Huckabee's email is filled with a bunch of empty rhetoric about the fat cats getting fatter and the common man getting screwed, which only shows that he has a fundamental misunderstanding of the current economic crisis. Guess what? I don't give a flying fuck about saving the "big banks." But I, the middle class employee of a small firm, will probably lose my job unless this bailout (or something similar) goes through. Our country's economy is built on credit and the availability of credit. If that goes away, we're screwed and no stupid fair tax will bring it back.

Not to dig up the race issue again, but I find it funny that the media comes out and goes nuts over White People supporting McCain by a 10-20 percent margin depending on the poll and trounces all over white people for being racists, and yet a poll also came out that showed black People are supporting Obama over McCain by like 90+ percent and they're just being a part of history or something... You cant have it both ways though..

I think your affiliation comes from a thirst for cut and dry, easily digested platitudes rather than the nuances that are necessary for something like the Presidency of the United States. This is not to say that you're dumb, but you lack patience.

I'll say it then... he's pretty fucking dumb.

The two candidates being involved, well they should. Because everyone in the government knows this isn't going to fix nothing and one of them is going to inherit the Presidency of a complete disaster. This "idea" to bail out the banks is a band-aid on a torpedo wound. It'll work for maybe a year and then it's all going to fall apart when the banks give out loans again to people who will welsh on them.

Credit is great and wonderful when it's not abused. I just don't see it not being abused anymore because a good percentage of the nation doesn't understand it and the credit card companies don't seem to give a damn if they do. When you are using your credit card to make your house payment, something is royally screwed up in your budgeting plan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm crossing my fingers that this was a wake up call to EVERYONE about how fragile our economy really is. I'm hoping the government comes up with a plan to fix this and make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm just not that hopeful on the first part of anyone realizing it.

My god. It was funny to joke about. It was funny to talk about. But Sarah Palin is actually retarded.

Everyone always mentions that the FDIC insures everyones money (up to a certain point) but the cold hard truth is the FDIC doesn't have enough money to cover the collapse of more than a handful of large banks at once. Past that point, all hell will break loose.

They'll print more. Helicopter Ben and all that.

So....Huckabee's answer to standing up to Wall Street fat cats and corporations is cutting the capital gains tax and implementing a "fair tax" (a national sales tax that would disproportionately tax poor people)?

What. The. Fuck.

To hell with Mike Huckabee. That's the shittiest idea ever.

Well said. Its funny in a scary sort of way that these politicians want less taxes and will do anything they can will come up with this 'fair tax' shite. Calling it a fair tax is like calling white, black or red, blue.

People in Western countries will except a certain amount of tax cutting for the big earners, in fact its a popular policy for most. However when you start to tax everyone the same regardless of the countless reasons why someone may not be a well off as others you are going about 2746758439385 steps too far

Sign in to follow this