TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

So, since no one's really been willing to spell it out for Marvin:

Obama's guy wasn't actually using guilt-by-association against Hannity. He was very clearly showing, by virtue of Hannity's outrage, that it's a stupid practice, and that the McCain campaign's usage of it is hollow and desperate. That you talk to, listen to, or spend time with a given person isn't much of a reflection on your character. No one should actually think that Hannity's anti-semitic, even when he idiotically hosted a special dedicated to this guy's hilarious views. The same is true of Obama's occasional contact with Ayers. This was way above Hannity's head, of course, because he's one of the stupidest people alive.

GR2008061200193.gif

Image from Wash. Post based on new analysis by the Tax Policy Center.

Obama's clearly benefits the lower and middle class more. However, the righties do approach a valid point when they go on about income redistribution. It's unclear how much of the tax hike on the millionaires is just rolling back Bush's cuts and which is new. I could research that more, but I dont feel like it right now.

So, since no one's really been willing to spell it out for Marvin:

Obama's guy wasn't actually using guilt-by-association against Hannity. He was very clearly showing, by virtue of Hannity's outrage, that it's a stupid practice, and that the McCain campaign's usage of it is hollow and desperate. That you talk to, listen to, or spend time with a given person isn't much of a reflection on your character. No one should actually think that Hannity's anti-semitic, even when he idiotically hosted a special dedicated to this guy's hilarious views. The same is true of Obama's occasional contact with Ayers. This was way above Hannity's head, of course, because he's one of the stupidest people alive.

Oh, come on. You take all the fun out of it.

I simply feel Obama should start running ads about Palin's husband (You know, the aforementioned secessionist), her "Holy Warrior Jesus!" Church, and Witch Hunters who have blessed the governor. It's a fight I'd openly welcome.

No, he shouldn't. There isn't any credibility to the guilt-by-association attacks, there's no reason to propagate them. Not to mention the other mountain of evidence of which to attack Palin on. Not to mention again that attacks on Palin have been almost nonexistent, and for good reason.

Obama doesn't have to do anything to win this election. No reason to go on the attack. Ride your lead, don't say anything risky, coast to victory. Really quite simple at this point.

Obama's negative attacks shouldn't be over the top and he doesn't need to out-do McCain in quanitity but he needs to have a few out there.

Case in point, on Monday morning i saw someone read the paper and it said on the headline "Both candidates dredge up each other's past". If Obama had not made the media push for the Keating thing, I'll bet that headline would have been Ayers-specific, like "McCain campaign accuses Obama of terrorist connections" or something like that.

By the by, if Obama runs ads, they should not be about Palin or his husband it should be about McCain.

I was joking, people. :P

But in all honesty, part of me does want to see him pull "Mr. Secessionist" on "Mrs. America" here. I can't believe how much I loathe her now. Her voice, her views, her stupid empty grin... God, she is all that is wrong with politics, written onto a single stuffed blouse.

Today's big John McCain emailing discusses his new idea of bailouts for individual mortgage holders. How will Glen Beck, and thus Marvin, flip flop to approve of this major govt expansion?

Today's big John McCain emailing discusses his new idea of bailouts for individual mortgage holders. How will Glen Beck, and thus Marvin, flip flop to approve of this major govt expansion?

The same way that Obama supporters have flip flopped to support Obama's various economic plans and stances on trade embargos, I suppose.

The Cuba embargo In January 2004, Obama said it was time "to end the embargo with Cuba" because it had "utterly failed in the effort to overthrow Castro." Speaking to a Cuban American audience in Miami in August 2007, he said he would not "take off the embargo" as president because it is "an important inducement for change."

A politician flip-flopping on an issue isn't exactly something new...

GLENN: ... "My friends, what I believe we should do, my friends, because I have a plan. I have a plan. I know how to make a plan. I made a plan. I've made plans before. I know how to correct the problem. I know what the problem is, my friends, and I can do it because we're Americans and we're great and we can do it, my friends, because I've done it before. We can do it again, see?" That part was entertaining and not driving me crazy. But really what put me over into the fun zone was, "My friends, I'm calling on nationalizing all of our mortgages, my friends." Nationalizing the mortgages! "But I'm going to cut down on the... did you see the size of that slide projector that Barack Obama wanted?" I'll give you every slide projector on planet Earth! Please don't nationalize the mortgages! "Because we've got to cut back. What we have to do is we have to cut back. That's why I'm going to say no more toothbrushes. Healthcare will no longer include any kind of toothbrush." Toothbrush? "See, Barack Obama, he wants a healthcare system that includes toothbrushes and everything else. You know, get everything for free. And I say, okay, that's good, we'll do everything for free, but I think we should cut back, and we can't spend that much. So we're not going to pay for your toothbrush, my friends, because I know exactly what -- I've made these plans before." Really? Where do you read those plans? "How to destroy the U.S."?

I was waiting to see details of his plan before I went nuts on it.

From CNN today:

The government would convert failing mortgages into low-interest, FHA-insured loans."Millions of borrowers" would be eligible for the program, dubbed the American Homeownership Resurgence Plan, according to McCain economic advisor Doug Holtz-Eakin.

To qualify, homeowners would have to be delinquent in their payments already, or be likely to fall behind in the near future. They would have to live in the home in question - no investment properties would be eligible - and have had demonstrated their credit-worthiness when they purchased the property by making a substantial down payment and by providing documentation of their income and assets - no liar loans.

Holtz-Eakin said on a conference call Wednesday that the McCain plan could be put into place quickly because the groundwork and the authority for it has already been provided by last week's $700 billion bailout bill, the Hope for Homeowners program authorized by the housing rescue bill passed in July and the government takeover of mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Two things:

1) If the qualifications stand up, then I dont have a problem with it. People who provided accurate documentation of the income and put a substantial downpayment on their homes should be helped out and not the people who got loans with no money down and bogus income information. As it is, it sounds like it would help a lot of people who feel that they were responsible with their money but are being hurt by the economy and watching the government bailout everyone else including people who went out and got more mortgage than they could afford. But I know, as you do, that those requirements will get hammered down so far that just about anyone will end up qualifying for it in the end and that will ultimately kill off any benefit that it had.

2) With the groundwork for McCain's plan being in last week's bailout bill, Obama will have a hard time attacking McCain's plan (dont know if he would or not though) since he voted for it himself.

I'm here to add nothing to the discussion, but this gif made me spit Mountain Dew on my monitor, so you get to share.

dztob9.jpg

I was joking, people. :P

But in all honesty, part of me does want to see him pull "Mr. Secessionist" on "Mrs. America" here. I can't believe how much I loathe her now. Her voice, her views, her stupid empty grin... God, she is all that is wrong with politics, written onto a single stuffed blouse.

You must of not seen her on Glenn Beck.

Going over old interviews of Frank Zappa... DAMN... dude like predicted everything and was on point on nearly every one of his views.

In one where he talks about "liberal" media... it was like shit... this was 20 years ago and it's still the same damn thing.

What does this have to do with Campaign '08? No fuckin' clue... I just didn't wanna have a useless double post.

I'm here to add nothing to the discussion, but this gif made me spit Mountain Dew on my monitor, so you get to share.

dztob9.jpg

Is it bad that this arouses me?

Good news! It looks like the Economic Crisis is over!

"We solved the crisis, but we don't always do something to solve the issue." These are the words of Democrat Congressional candidate Frank Kratovil in regards to the financial bailout passed last week by Congress.

Too bad he's going to lose.

John Adams was feeling charitable and only decided to carry out 3 years out of the 4 year term.

I was 2 years off..you knew what I meant anyway.

I can't make this up.

I know that Obama is up in all the national polls and looks to be a favorite however I was watching some of the talking heads lately and they keep bringing up the notion of race and how we don't really know how it's going to affect the outcome. Do you think that enough people won't vote for Obama simply because he's black and will throw the poll numers out of whack or do you think that enough new voters (African Americans, younger people and newly registered democrats) will make up the difference and these polls are pretty much dead on?

I think that we'll see a large voter turnout in the deep red states that are anti-democrat...and realize that the election is slipping away...

But in most of the "swing" states Obama's holding some pretty large leads. I can't imagine that race is going to be enough to undo double digit leads in Ohio or Pennsylvania.

I think that when all is said and done and the electoral votes are counted...Obama's going to win a walk...but that doesn't mean the numbers in the polls won't swing against him...just that he's got so much of a head start I don't think it'll matter.

The most important part of him being black is that McCain was supposed to paint him as the "risky" candidate. If anything...I think that after the debates, the Palin selection, the suspending of the campaign, and just general McCain weirdness...Obama looks like a safer choice than he did before.

Also...yeah...there's a shitton of new voters.

Good news! It looks like the Economic Crisis is over!

"We solved the crisis, but we don't always do something to solve the issue." These are the words of Democrat Congressional candidate Frank Kratovil in regards to the financial bailout passed last week by Congress.

Too bad he's going to lose.

Hey Marvin, since you're also from MD...

Am I the ONLY person getting sick of that Andy Harris ad. I say ad because I've only seen one so far... Hey, I think Andy Harris thinks liberal policies NEVER work. Haven't heard that like, 50 times in the last 2 days.

The same way that Obama supporters have flip flopped to support Obama's various economic plans and stances on trade embargos, I suppose.

The Cuba embargo In January 2004, Obama said it was time "to end the embargo with Cuba" because it had "utterly failed in the effort to overthrow Castro." Speaking to a Cuban American audience in Miami in August 2007, he said he would not "take off the embargo" as president because it is "an important inducement for change."

A politician flip-flopping on an issue isn't exactly something new...

Yeah, flip-flopping on trade embargoes with Cuba and changing your entire economic philosophy in the matter of two weeks is really the same thing.

Why is Cindy McCain throwing all these insults out lately? I didn't know John McCain needed a three person ticket. Seems like the angry and bitter woman in this Presidential campaign is on the Republican side. Isn't the first lady supposed to stay out of the campaign? Its time for Cindy to go back to her Sedona ranch, get high on valium and shut up.

Sign in to follow this