TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Looking at Pollster today, things just keep getting worse for McCain. Wisconsin and Minnesota should be turning towards Obama soon, while Colorado(!) and Michigan already have solidly gone away from him. Looking at the contested states, I'm just amazed: Of all people, a black man from a multiracial couple looks poised to crack the "Solid South". This is history, people.

On the day a WSJ (not the one in Madison) poll has Obama up 17 in Wisconsin, John Kerry tours the state giving four speeches and the governor and congressmen begin a couple days of 'early vote' drives. I dont think Kerry would mind being named Secretary of State if his efforts do end up putting Obama in the White House.

The McCain camp is going ballistic at CNN having the audacity to show the video of Sarah Palin speaking to the Alaska Independence Party convention, comparing it to them running a story about Barack Obama's religion (which is hilarious on at least two levels: first, the assumption that a politicians political beliefs should be treated the same way as their religious beliefs; and second, because it insinuates that CNN didn't spend months talking incessantly about Jeremiah Wright this past spring and summer).

It also depends on the capacity to understand that Barack Obama and Jeremiah Wright are not the same person, but VP Nominee Sarah Palin and Gov. Sarah Palin ARE the same person.

”We are sure that the extremists he is trying to get into a froth will be even more excited to learn that John McCain stood shoulder to shoulder with ACORN, at an ACORN co-sponsored event, to promote immigration reform,"

Seems to me, the question isn't "Is ACORN standing shoulder to shoulder with McCain?", its "Is McCain still standing shoulder to shoulder with ACORN?"

Seriously...according to Marvin's 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon understanding of who you know defining everything about you...John McCain is fixing this election for the democrats!!!!

Actually his campaign would back that up....

This is my favorite post of the day, so far, with the selling point in bold.

Looking at Pollster today, things just keep getting worse for McCain. Wisconsin and Minnesota should be turning towards Obama soon, while Colorado(!) and Michigan already have solidly gone away from him. Looking at the contested states, I'm just amazed: Of all people, a black man from a multiracial couple looks poised to crack the "Solid South". This is history, people.

Colorado and Michigan are south? Minnesota? If you're from Canada, I guess so.

Colorado especially shouldn't be too huge a surprise. Part of the reason of having the convention there AND the general public come to Mile High was that it would turn into a giant on-foot army of door to door.

Why wouldn't they go somewhere with more electoral votes, though? I don't understand that. Couldn't they have done the same thing in, say, Indiana?

Guest Vitamin X

Colorado's a big swing state. I'm more surprised that Indiana hasn't gone for Obama yet for some reason, and that PA is so strong on him, considering the Hillary support there went overwhelmingly for her.

McCain - Palin Tradition

By Hank Williams Jr.

The left wing liberal media have

Always been a real close knit family

But, most of the American People

Don't believe em anyway ya see

Stop and think it over

Before you make your decision

If they smell something

They're gonna come down strong

It's a McCain - Palin tradition

Now this old Union's got problems

That is plain to see

The Democrats bankrupted Fannie Mae N Freddie Mac

Just like 1, 2, 3

The bankers didn't want to make all those bad loans,

But Bill Clinton said you got to

Now they want a bail out, what I'm talking about

Is a Democrat liberal who doo

CHORUS

John N Sarah tell ya

Just what they think

And they're not gonna blink

They don't have terrorist friends

To whom their careers are linked

Yes, John is his own man

And Sarah fixed Alaska's broken condition

They're gonna go just fine

We're headed for better times

I am very proud of our country's name

But no society is perfect

And we have had our stains

If I'm down at the coffee shop and

Somebody starts to give our flag friction

We say please move on

Cause we're standing strong

That's an old John McCain tradition

CHORUS

John N Sarah tell ya

Just what they think

And they're not gonna blink

And they're gonna fix this country

Cause they're just like you N ole Hank

Yes John is a maverick

And Sarah fixed Alaska's broken condition

They're gonna go just fine

We're headed for better times

Some are bound to tell you I'm

Preaching to the choir

And that is very true

And we are going even higher

Like a mama bear in Idaho

She'll protect your family's condition

If you mess with her cubs

She's gonna take off the gloves

It's an American female tradition

CHORUS

They all want to know Sarah

Why do you hunt

John why do you fish

How could she be so smart and savvy

Such a 'hey good-lookin'' dish

Yes John is his own man

And Sarah fixed Alaska's bad condition

They're going to get it right

We're going to see the light

How can you give tax refunds to people who don't pay taxes? The government is basically giving them money because they're poor. If they weren't poor, they would be paying taxes and not getting that money. I think thats the standard fefinition of Welfare.

Okay, this is it.. This the most ignorant post ever made on TSM.

Just shut your fucking mouth, Marvin. You clearly have no idea about how the government works and you now also clearly have no idea about what it's like to not have an income, so just shut your mouth before your foot gets any further down it.

a source you will discredit but I offer anyway

The latest data from the Congressional Budget Office and the Internal Revenue Service show that the lowest 40 percent of income earners as a group actually receive net payments from the federal income tax system. (They get 3.8 percent of total federal income tax revenues instead of paying any income taxes.)

I cannot find the updated information from the CBO for 2006, but I did find the same information released by the CBO 1 year ago for the 2005 tax year.

CBO

If you scroll down to the bottom, the bottom 20% (Less than $15,900) has a -6.5% rate on individual income taxes. The next lowest 20% (less than $37,200) has a -1% rate on individual income taxes. Obviously if its a negative rate, that means they aren't paying income taxes.

The Proof is right there. But of course I encourage you to somehow discredit the Congressional Budget Office's data.

When's Marv gonna get around to trying to refute the other dozen people who've also handed his ass to him during this discussion?

The annual tax refund is a ridiculous canard anyway. School shopping, braces, sicknesses, injuries, car trouble, birthdays, Christmas, other holidays...they don't all fall conveniently on refund check day.

Wait, what. Are we seriously saying 40% of the country pay get all their money back and then some from the tax system?

Yep. 4% of all income taxes collected go back to the bottom 40% which is anyone making roughly less than $40k a year, but weighted more towards those making less than $16,000 a year.

The annual tax refund is a ridiculous canard anyway. School shopping, braces, sicknesses, injuries, car trouble, birthdays, Christmas, other holidays...they don't all fall conveniently on refund check day.

Some people purposely set their self up to have the government take more money out of their paycheck every week than they should so that they get a big refund check every year. This is insanely stupid because essentially they are giving the government an interest free loan so the government can save their money for them, and they would be less likely to save the money as a huge refund check once a year because its perceived as a windfall and more likely to be spent than saved.

I have mine set up so that I actually usually owe about $20 a year to the Federal Government but the wonderful state of MD usually sends me back about $100 no matter what I do. Im also deducting 401k, health insurance premium and my healthcare savings pan pretax to lower my income so the government gets less of my money. Its pretty fun!

So you're saying that barely more than half pays for anything? O.o

This is some wacky math. I can't believe you're saying people "pay taxes" and then come out ahead. They may pay LESS than other people, but I can't imagine they actually get more money than they put in for their time unelss they're in a really low tier.

So you're saying that barely more than half pays for anything? O.o

This is some wacky math. I can't believe you're saying people "pay taxes" and then come out ahead. They may pay LESS than other people, but I can't imagine they actually get more money than they put in for their time unelss they're in a really low tier.

This is of course only accounting for Income taxes, not the money witheld for social security. But anyway..

The top 20% of people are responsible for 86% of all income taxes whereas the bottom 40%'s share is -3.8% (which is how they get about 4% of all the income taxes collected back extra). Obama wants to make it so more people pay nothing and more people get more than they paid in back in an effort to be fair and spread the wealth around, which basically means the top 20%'s tax burden is going over 90% easily.

Obama wants to make it so more people pay nothing and more people get more than they paid in back in an effort to be fair and spread the wealth around

No, Obama is rolling back Bush's tax cuts to Clinton-era level on the top 1%. This reduces the burden on the middle class who are more likely to pump any dollar they get into the economy. The top is more likely to save it and spend it. People who don't have portfolios and 401Ks spend almost everything they make compared to millionaires.

which basically means the top 20%'s tax burden is going over 90% easily.

Yeah, but it's really easy to make a stupid argument like that because the top 1% covers such a huge range of wealth.

That's like saying "This bar graph shows bar A as larger than bar b, but if we change the viewpoints to view it from underneath the bars, they appear the exact same size. So bar A should be made bigger."

Obama wants to make it so more people pay nothing and more people get more than they paid in back in an effort to be fair and spread the wealth around

No, Obama is rolling back Bush's tax cuts to Clinton-era level on the top 1%. This reduces the burden on the middle class who are more likely to pump any dollar they get into the economy. The top is more likely to save it and spend it. People who don't have portfolios and 401Ks spend almost everything they make compared to millionaires.

You forgot the rest of his tax plan!

- A $500 tax credit ($1,000 a couple) to "make work pay" that phases out at income of $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 per couple.

- A $4,000 tax credit for college tuition.

- A 10% mortgage interest tax credit (on top of the existing mortgage interest deduction and other housing subsidies).

- A "savings" tax credit of 50% up to $1,000.

- An expansion of the earned-income tax credit that would allow single workers to receive as much as $555 a year, up from $175 now, and give these workers up to $1,110 if they are paying child support.

- A child care credit of 50% up to $6,000 of expenses a year.

- A "clean car" tax credit of up to $7,000 on the purchase of certain vehicles.

all of which the bottom 40% are eligible to get, meaning more money they get back and thus more money the government is giving them from the total income taxes paid.

Also, if you think the entire bottom 40% can afford college or a green car or own their own home, you're dreaming again.

Oh my god I cant believe Im defending Obama's tax plan..

On College:

Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Obama and Biden will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most students. Recipients of the credit will be required to conduct 100 hours of community service.

On Mortgages

Create a Universal Mortgage Credit: Obama and Biden will create a 10 percent universal mortgage credit to provide homeowners who do not itemize tax relief. This credit will provide an average of $500 to 10 million homeowners, the majority of whom earn less than $50,000 per year.

Less than $50k a year is almost bottom 40%.

I

I want to get back to the Marvin everyone loves to hate by asking a question.

Why is it ok for people who don't like Sarah Palin to wear shirts calling her the C-word which is a derogatory word towards women? If someone who didn't like Obama wore a shirt calling Obama a ..heh heh.."Teddy Bear", I think they'd probably be arrested and charged with a racial hate crime if they weren't mauled and left for dead by the crowd first.

Why the double standard?

Sign in to follow this