TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

I'd like to think most conservatives aren't that stupid/xenophobic. The campaign's a referendum on Obama. Other than long time McCain supporters who buy into the "Maverick" image, the only people I could see being enthusiastic enough to attend a McCain rally are those who think Obama's somehow a leftist radical and an Islamic jihadists.

Believe it or not, there are a few people out there like me who don't want to see what an Obama Presidency coupled with a Democratic Supermajority of Progressive minded democrats in the Senate will have in store for America. Its almost like someone decided to throw the whole country into a time warp back 80 years.

Given that, by definition, conservatives are reactionary forces, the republican white houses have been like sticking the whole country in a time machine that was stuck in park.

Id rather be stuck in park then back up into a ditch.

Right, because all Bill Clinton did was drive this country into the ground. George Bush didn't do anything at all. It was like all he did for the last 8 years was give a bunch of state of the union addresses.

the ditch I was refering to was not 1998, it was 1928.

The Left Declares War On Joe The Plumber

By Michelle Malkin

October 17, 2008

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/a...rody-award.aspx

Michelle Malkin's been there before.

Still, Malkin makes one valid point. Running with thinly-sourced or unconfirmed allegations about Wurzelbacher's personal life--his financial records, his license situation, his marriage--goes too far. Wurzelbacher doesn't seem particularly skittish about speaking his mind or getting attention for it. But there's no way he could be prepared for the kind of scrutiny that comes with being the political world's most famous talking point.

As a result, writers should allow Wurzelbacher a bit more privacy than they would the typical public figure. And when printing anything that touches on his personal life, even remotely, they should be sure to confirm it first. So far, it seems, writers haven't always done that.

Holy crap! We agree on something! That was 1/2 of my whole point right there, that this guy isn't a part of any campaign and yet they jumped all over him like he was. Though if he continues to milk his 15 minutes of fame he got out of this, Im going to relent on that feeling and not worry about how the media treats him anymore.

Holy crap! Way to edit out most of the article! The part that said that Malkin even went to the Frost's house and took note of their car in the driveway!

If you can prove to me at all that Wurzelbach's life has been ruined by this, then I might agree with you, but in the mean time, all you're saying is that they're just digging up dirt on him and nothing else. Guess what, Marv, when you're put into a public position in the era of the internet and investigative journalism, you're going to find some shit out. I could've run about a billion google searches on this guy, and it wouldn't have affected his life at all. Are you saying that the media is somehow out of place to find out, and thus report, any information on this guy? It's not wrong, it's not out of place. That's their job.

Oh my god, the democrats have returned from the dead to elect Herbert Hoover's zombie and dig the ditch that the republican presidents and congresses have filled over the last 80 years, despite the incessant attempts at the contrary by them thar democrats.

Oh my god, the democrats have returned from the dead to elect Herbert Hoover's zombie and dig the ditch that the republican presidents and congresses have filled over the last 80 years, despite the incessant attempts at the contrary by them thar democrats.

Ironically I did a quick google search of Hoover and found this!

Next President is Herbert Hoover!

I expect that the government bailouts and takeovers will continue at least until the 2008 election is over. Then they’ll let the ‘recession’ happen, confident that it will be over by the 2012 elections. Wrong. This next president (Obama or McCain, it doesn’t matter) will be equated with Herbert Hoover (See photo) and will be defeated in a landslide in the 2012 election.
Of course this is coming from a Real Estate Agent so..yeah.

Awesome, thanks for posting that! Could you please post some more blog posts from serious journalist Michelle Malkin, too? Here's some more of her hard hitting investigative journalism.

BTW, marv, your sig quote is not from Thomas Jefferson. It is by that other noted founding father and philosopher Gerald Ford. People often get those two mixed up, so no biggie.

I expect that the government bailouts and takeovers will continue at least until the 2008 election is over. Then they’ll let the ‘recession’ happen, confident that it will be over by the 2012 elections. Wrong. This next president (Obama or McCain, it doesn’t matter) will be equated with Herbert Hoover (See photo) and will be defeated in a landslide in the 2012 election.

I don't think anyone is confident that a recession will be over by the 2012 elections. They'll "let" the recession happen? What kind of bullshit is that? Recessions don't happen at the nod of the head of state.

BTW, marv, your sig quote is not from Thomas Jefferson. It is by that other noted founding father and philosopher Gerald Ford. People often get those two mixed up, so no biggie.

Ford founded that university in Virginia!

In Marvin's defence, I googled the quote and it sounds like people often falsely attribute it to Jefferson.

It's kind of prima facie stupid to think Jefferson said it, considering that the welfare state wasn't developed until the mid 19th century and there really wasn't a threat of "big government" in 18th century America.

When I see some of these people, like the guy with the stuffed "Obama" monkey, on the "Obama Bucks" I can only ask, why can't these people be honest?

Face it, they're meaning to make a demeaning racial connection with these things, and yet ask them point blank and they'll side step and deny it. If you're that brash to do so in the first place, own up to the reason.

I don't think anyone is confident that a recession will be over by the 2012 elections. They'll "let" the recession happen? What kind of bullshit is that? Recessions don't happen at the nod of the head of state.

That, and (a) Hoover was Secretary of Commerce from 1921-1929 so he had something to do with the economic policy that helped lead to the Depression, (b) part of the reason people were so pissed at him was because people wanted him to DO SOMETHING about the Depression and he mostly declined, and © hardly anyone knew we were in economic trouble until after Hoover was elected in 1928, but people in 2008 are already aware of the problem and probably won't blame the problems on the person who hasn't taken office yet.

So, basically, you don't need any knowledge of U.S. History to sell houses.

Marvin's like the punching bag for kids that bounces back every time you hit it. You knew it was pointless, but you just couldn't resist slugging away every time it came at you.

Marvin's like the punching bag for kids that bounces back every time you hit it. You knew it was pointless, but you just couldn't resist slugging away every time it came at you.

The hope is that once the parents realize the kids have outgrown the toy...it'll be thrown out.

Did anyone watch Sarah Palin on SNL tonight she was totally seething at Amy Pohler's rap that was the most pained, plastered, gritted-teeth smile. She looked uncomfortable when Brolin went in for that hug. She was surrounded by Alec Baldwin, Oliver Stone, Brolin who played Dubya, Tina Fey... I wonder what she was thinking pallin' around with all those guys?

Did anyone watch Sarah Palin on SNL tonight she was totally seething at Amy Pohler's rap that was the most pained, plastered, gritted-teeth smile. She looked uncomfortable when Brolin went in for that hug. She was surrounded by Alec Baldwin, Oliver Stone, Brolin who played Dubya, Tina Fey... I wonder what she was thinking pallin' around with all those guys?

"Hrumph... Fuckin' Terrorists!"

Yeah, the entire time that rather damning rap number was going on I was wondering what was going through Caribou Barbie's mind.

Can't wait for the Republicans so desperate enough to save their seats that they start saying "Im not John McCain or George Bush!"

Like that damn Colin Powell, turning on the party to protect his seat.

Face it, bud. Only the captain goes down with the ship.

Given that she okayed everything, rehearsed it, and also performed the same thing in dress rehearsal- I'm sure she was fine with it.

Yeah, the entire time that rather damning rap number was going on I was wondering what was going through Caribou Barbie's mind.

She probably thought it was funny, or else she wouldn't have done it.

I thought she did very well on SNL. I'm not sure this 'charm offensive' can right the GOP ship, but it'll make McCain's grandkids proud & keep Palin in the running for 2012/16.

What impact will Gen. Powell's endorsement have? Will the GOP discredit it because he's black? Will it swing some of the remaining undecideds? Powell is Ameria's foremost living military man, I would hope that Americans will be able to put his skin aside to truly gauge the importance of him endorsing a Democratic candidate.

I would say it's the nail in the coffin, but it was over irregardless of the endorsement.

I think McCain should spend the last two weeks running a positive campaign talking up himself- go out with some dignity.

colin powell's endorsement isn't terribly ringing or stark, and from what i understand the reasoning he gave was purely around the campaigning styles & the economic crisis. if he had expressed some faith in obama's foreign policy philosophy, like "i believe a diplomacy-first policy would make our military forces safer in the world" or "i don't believe that a phased withdrawal from iraq means defeat or shame," then it would make some news. an endorsement from a military man ON MILITARY MATTERS would be a big difference-maker.

this seems like it was sort of engineered to not really be a big deal. he's still got general name-value and whatnot, but nobody asks, "what does our great colin powell think of the recent fiscal crisis?"

Sign in to follow this