TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

That way sucks. I used to hate voting absentee, because it meant I couldn't pull the lever.

Is there an actual lever? I just thought that was a figure of speech.

Yes.

You pull the lever to close the curtain, and then there are these little things that you push down for the candidate you want to vote for. Then you pull the lever when finished.

We used to have those punch cards and Used to punch them out for my dad. I loved doing that. Then after the 2000 election, they got rid of that and now voting isn't fun.

You guys don't have such lines because I suppose you aren't living in areas with previously unmotivated electorates...

This whole area has been a madhouse, maybe its a demographic thing.

ALSO VA is much worse than here.

A lot of that is the fact that the people making the decisions about how many ballot machines certain locations get are Republicans and they don't like all the new Democrats registering, so they'll make do with machines on the order of the turnout of 04 elections, thank you very much :angry:

Wife drove by the polling place on her way to work at 6AM (she advance voted) and the lot was completely packed, line out into the middle of the lot, and some people even having to park at the restaurant across the street. I went in at 10AM and it wound up taking longer to get my breakfast at the aforementioned restaurant than it did to vote.

I remember the old lever machines, but I haven't seen one since 1992 when I went with my mother as she voted. Don't remember what machine they had in '96 though. In '00 when I was in Minnesota I had a paper ballot, and in '04 I had a touch screen. This year I went paper again as the line was much shorter than for the machines.

Also, don't be dissing George Noory

You guys don't have such lines because I suppose you aren't living in areas with previously unmotivated electorates...

New York is going to go for Obama, it's just a question of how much, so there's no real drive to get out the vote here.

At the risk of sounding whiny, I wish they'd stop moving my polling place around! The one I used in 2000 was actually on the same street as me so I could walk up and back in 5 minutes, the one in 2004 was a bit farther away but walkable, but this one I actually had to drive to! It was pretty much empty, but is that really a surprise given where I live?

Edited by KingPK

From 5pm(whatever timezone you are in) until the polls close will be the madhouse. Thats when people are going to be in the multi hour long waits. Thats what will fuel any firepower for lawsuits if its a tight race.

From 5pm(whatever timezone you are in) until the polls close will be the madhouse. Thats when people are going to be in the multi hour long waits. Thats what will fuel any firepower for lawsuits if its a tight race.

It shouldn't. Polling places cannot turn anybody away if they are standing in line at the time of closing.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Now if the Democrats are to be believed, the Republicans stole the 2000 and 2004 elections and are already poised to steal 2008. What happens when this doesn't happen? Were hot young liberals just too much for even the evil Republicans to thwart?

Now if the Democrats are to be believed, the Republicans stole the 2000 and 2004 elections and are already poised to steal 2008. What happens when this doesn't happen? Were hot young liberals just too much for even the evil Republicans to thwart?

Actually if you have been paying attention, the Republicans have been the ones crying about potential Voter Fraud and "stolen elections" this time around. Hipocracy rules.

Just got back from voting in my area. I proudly cast my vote for Obama in my lily white conservative area (which is slowly but surely changing). California will go blue no matter what today, so I decided to volunteer for local Democrats in my area to try and break the long held Mormon and Republican stronghold. One Democrat running for State Senate looks like a good bet to remove the long termed incumbent Republican thanks to the students at UCSB. A Democratic candidate for State Assembly looks like a long shot to win in her race but when I was making phone calls and doing voter registration I was surprised at how many Republicans made the switch. The Republican Congressman will surely win in a landslide against an absentee Democratic challenger.

I also voted NO on the gay marriage ban and NO parental notification for minors having abortions. I voted YES on the proposition that sets standards on confining farm animals.

Wasn't a long line, but I don't expect long lines in white neighborhoods.

I also voted NO on the gay marriage ban ... I voted YES on the proposition that sets standards on confining farm animals.

So you're okay with one group of animals running free but not the other?

*anyone who's going to get mad at this, check my posting history on the subject.

I went out and voted this morning, it was by far the most people I've ever seen at that time of morning in my KC suburb..

Lots of old people, I'm guessing that's because I went so early it was funny 2 other young people came in a man and a woman and they sat down next to me as if to say "we'll sit by you since you aren't 500 years old"

Ralph Nader is promoting his bid for president during every break on tonight's Coast to Coast AM of all things.

I just want to point out how much I hate this show. The local Fox News carrying talk radio station plays this shit. During the day you have semi-respectable hosts, then sports, then... this UFO/conspiracy theory shit.

C2C is part of a package stations have to buy if they want Rush and Hannity (Savage?)

Decent show most nights though.

Our local affiliate puts it on the serious talk radio channel's sister station, which includes local sports, Jim Rome, Mike O'Meara, Loveline and Tom Leykis

I stayed home sick from work because I've been running a fever.

So, you could either say I'm literally sick of this election, or that I've got voting fever!

So, you could either say I'm literally sick of this election, or that I've got voting fever!

You've got the Marvins Jerk, there is no cure.

I should probably figure out where my voting place is and vote huh?

You've got the Marvins Jerk, there is no cure.

I should probably figure out where my voting place is and vote huh?

You can find out online pretty easily these days.

Man, Mormons are going crazy slamming the Yes on Prop 8 on my block right now, right in people's yards. Shit's gonna go down today, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Same thing here up in Santa Clarita has been going on as well. On every street corner there is a Yes on 8 sign or some homemade god hates fags type signs. Not to mention rallies on street corners almost everyday for Prop 8. I hope this shit fails overwhelmingly and the LDS in Utah keeps their noses out of California politics for good.

New York is going to go for Obama, it's just a question of how much, so there's no real drive to get out the vote here.

And yet there are 2-4 HOUR long lines at multiple locations throughout the city per NY1 News. I've never seen a line at any polling station in NYC ever, and now there's thousands of people standing out in the streets waiting to vote. It's not something I ever thought I'd see.

Oh man, the neighbor just hit punched the bigger Mormon right after he ripped up the Yes on Prop 8 and the dude just put one right back on his lawn... right in front of the dude.

I never thought it get this bad about Prop 8 in my neighborhood. I remember when my parents put their Yes on Prop 8 sign out 3 weeks ago and most of the neighbors looked at me with disgust like I agreed with it. Fucking idiots. The sign lasted 2 days out there before someone replaced it.

And yet there are 2-4 HOUR long lines at multiple locations throughout the city per NY1 News. I've never seen a line at any polling station in NYC ever, and now there's thousands of people standing out in the streets waiting to vote. It's not something I ever thought I'd see.

People like having someone to vote FOR.

I'll be interested to see what the final voter turnout numbers are. I'm expecting something in the 60% range, and wouldn't be surprised if it hits 65% or even 70%. Keep in mind that there hasn't been 60% voter turnout for a presidential election in 40 years.

I've heard some quick reports from CNN analysts stating that McCain has fired up the base enough... that he might just surpass Bush's record of voter turnout, and Obama could still possibly eclipse that. I don't buy the eclipse part, but it'll be crazy enough if they both end up breaking the records.

What could be crazy is if McCain wins the electoral college and Obama wins by like 10M votes or some shit...

All those motivated blue state voters who didn't matter before, and don't *really* matter now, but will just push up Obama's popular vote margin...

Eeesh.

I was at the grocery store today and I made the decision to pick up a little booze to celebrate this election being over with. When I got to the cashier she told me that alcohol sales are off until the polls are officially closed. I asked her why and her explanation was that the state of Indiana has a (yet another archaic) law set in place that prevents voters from showing up to the polls in an intoxicated state.

Apparently this is a problem here in the Hoosier State. I jokingly asked if she would make an exception for me since I voted three weeks ago, which she did not find to be amusing.

Sign in to follow this