TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

How do you remember

Or what, more accurately, will you remember about his career?

The Montreal thing will always be near the top of the list, but first coming to mind is The Hart Foundation on 1997.

His first world title run in 92-93 when EVERYONE on the roster was portrayed as a title contender. That was great booking. WCW did the same with Booker in 2000.

The Hart Foundation angle in 1997. It was the best period of Bret Hart's career and, probably, my favourite era of wrestling. He was fantastic in the role of the heel leader of that group, part of some memorable angle/matches and was unbeatable on the mic.

I remember him as the guy that signed my SummerSlam 97 box last Friday.

I'm a big fan of his 1992/1994 run with the company, don't so much care for most of 1995 when his job was to make jobbers seem important (no offense to the wrestling ability of Hakushi or Pierre Oulette or even Bob Backlund).

However, the time in my life that I was his biggest fan was when he turned heel on the USA. I don't know how, now or then, Amercians felt about the whole deal but as a Canadian the Hart Foundation was one of the greatest things. I absolutely love Bret's promo the night after Canadian Stampede (which was actually printed on what were being called "specially made for this event" t-shirts at last week's BCW show) and all the hot Canadian crowds whenever a Raw was there during that era.

I gotta go witht he majority here, I didn't care too much for Bret until he began fueding with Steve Austin...to me those two brought the best out of each other...and his slow burn heel turn in early 97 was a thing of booking beauty...97 was definently his top year, IMO...

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

As leader of the Hart Foundation, of course. He was the most entertaining wrestler of all time during this period, in my opinion.

The thing that I'll remember most about Bret is that he could pretty much put on a good match with anybody at any given time. Then there was the whole Montreal thing but I perfer not to dwell on the negative.

Guest news_gimmick

I remember the 92-94 the most because to me that was him in his prime. I enjoyed him being the underdog who took on all challengers and always overcame the odds, he played it so well. It was the only era they really got behind him solidly and pushed him to the moon (in the later years he always had to deal with HBK and the clique for the #1 spot) So this is the era that defined him for me.

Tom

His first world title run in 92-93 when EVERYONE on the roster was portrayed as a title contender. 

Exactly how I remember him, and I wasn't even a wrestling fan back then. I watched so many tapes from the post-Hart Foundation (original) to the Owen-Bret feud that they're my best memories of him.

Guest JMA

I'll remember Bret Hart, quite simply, as the best pure wrestler of my generation (1985-The Present).

Probably the epitomy of a great technical wrestler...I remember pretty much all of his career from the time of the original Hart Foundation (I marked when they won the tag titles) to his final appearances in WCW.

Bret Hart epitomized what a wrestling champion should be like. Unfortunately, I also think he let his character get to him, and that ultimately led to his downfall in WWF. Then he was horribly misused in WCW. Fortunately, the good of his career outweighs the bad substantially.

He's my favorite of all time. I'll most remember him for his 1997 run. As an American, I was supposed to loathe him for his anti-US attitude, but the Hart Foundation was just too awesome to hate. At the same time, Steve Austin, Undertaker, Mankind, and HBK were some of the top faces, and I was huge fans of their's as well. Needless to say, 1997 is my favorite year, ever.

I'll think of Montreal quickly, though, when it comes to Bret.

As being part of two of the greatest singles matches in North AMerican history. (Wresltemania XIII and Survivor Series 96)

and as part of of the great multi-person tag match ever (Canadian Stampede 10 man)

I remember a lot about Bret, from his initial Hart Foundation stuff with Neidhart, but I think I loved his 1991-94 stuff the best. Bret/Bulldog from SS 92 is my favorite match ever, and I still remember how totally stunned I was when I tuned into Superstars one morning to find out Bret Hart was the new WWF champ. It was shocking stuff at the time: A world champion who actually wrestled on TV a lot!

His late 1996/97 run was perhaps his best quality stuff in terms of storyline and mic work. Just brilliant. It's stuff that I find highly entertaining even now, but the demons were starting to show by this point and I have a hard time being terribly nostalgic about the Hart Foundation given what happened to most of the group (Owen's dead, Bulldog is dead, Pillman dead, etc.).

I actually watched Canadian Stampede on the 24/7 thing recently...first time I'd seen it actually. Loved that show, especially the 10 man.

I actually watched Canadian Stampede on the 24/7 thing recently...first time I'd seen it actually.  Loved that show, especially the 10 man.

Man, can you believe the crowd during that match...I don't think I've heard guys cheered so heavily and Steve Austin was booed viciously everytime he moved...I know it's cliche when they say "the crowd is so loud, this building is rocking", but that almost had to literally be true...

i remember him as my favorite wrestler ever, specially during the 92-94 period. Winning the Rumble and WM X being the highlights of my younger years as a fan

I remember him as one of the greatest wrestlers I have ever seen, in a period of time that he was putting great matches with a variety of opponents, but that unfortunately became a sad, bitter man, unable to come to terms with his own errors, and that still seems to live in paranoia.

When I watch his matches I think of how great he is, how he made me appreciate a fine-quality wrestling match, and that his status as legend is assured. When I read any recent interview he gives I think of a sore loser and jealous, bitter, angry person that just needs to shut up and let it go.

I remember him as one of the greatest wrestlers I have ever seen, in a period of time that he was putting great matches with a variety of opponents, but that unfortunately became a sad, bitter man, unable to come to terms with his own errors, and that still seems to live in paranoia.

When I watch his matches I think of how great he is, how he made me appreciate a fine-quality wrestling match, and that his status as legend is assured. When I read any recent interview he gives I think of a sore loser and jealous, bitter, angry person that just needs to shut up and let it go.

Here's an audio interview from July 27. He doesn't sound bitter now.

http://www.midatlanticlegends.com/btr/brethart.mp3

Guest Rrrsh

Firstly: Bitter and Pathetic Bret Hart, post 97.

Secondly: Kickass New Hart Foundation

Thirdly: Big Time Matches vs guys like Taker, Deisel and Owen

Guest wildpegasus

Almost everything I like about wrestling Bret Hart is and represents. One of my top 5 favs from anywhere. I remember him best for all the tremendous moments he gave me inside the ring.

I suppose I remember him as one of my favorite "good guys" during the first few years of my fandom. I remember his first IC title win vs Mr Perfect, his stance as a "fighting IC champ", his surprise world title win that literally made my day when it was announced on a saturday morning in 1992, fighting all comers as champ. He was no doubt my fav after that first reign. I'll remember him for the good times first but of course the bad times you cant forget. (like seeing him live , a shell of his former self giving a terrible promo at the WWA PPV in Las Vegas)