TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exslade ZX

UFC: Unleashed

DAMN. That last flurry of punches fucked Chris up.

his face was just beat...and he looked like he was going into convulsions or something.

Edit- Lol @ Quarry's celebration..especially considering it's not like he really 'knocked' the guy out..

But that was a HELL of a bodyshot. He completely misplasced the dudes pancreas or something.

That was a great performance standing by Quarry. Not that Sincade was good competition, but Quarry exploited his weaknesses very well, especially with that bodyshot.

Koscheck was just an absolute beast, too. Great takedowns. Fuck yeah.

If Cote loses to Leben, I don't think we'll see him back in the Octagon for a while.

Koscheck finally shows that he can finish! He's going to need to be more well rounded though. Can't wait to see him take on Spratt.

That body shot needs a cool still shot. He sure fucked up Shonie Carter too. Nate's going to be a great fighter.

Dames

Damn...Leben finally got a win and just beat the shit out of Thacker.

I marked out for the finish of Salaverry/Fryklund when I saw it the first time and I still mark out for the FIGURE FOUR OF DEATH~!

Don't wanna spoil the Salaverry/Riggs finish, but it's also memorable.

Dames

I gotta say, UFC does a better job with their television format than the WWE does.  You got promos, highlights, and matches.  They build towards the PPV.  No Terrorists.

Since when is UFC 'sports entertainment' though?

And, WWE does do all of those things...in fact, that's usually the three things smarks complain about.

Edit- well..maybe not the highlights, people usually recognize those as pretty good. You can include PPV build up in the 3 then though. ;)

Fuck you RRR, now I won't be able to watch that movie without thinking of this fight as opposed to Famke Janssen.

Was there any reason that they needed to just feed Thacker to Leben? (yes, I know I just answered my own question) But everyone and their mother knew that was going to be a massacre and doing things like that is what gets people seriously hurt.

I gotta say, UFC does a better job with their television format than the WWE does.  You got promos, highlights, and matches.  They build towards the PPV.  No Terrorists.

And, WWE does do all of those things...in fact, that's usually the three things smarks complain about.

Edit- well..maybe not the highlights, people usually recognize those as pretty good.

WWE doesn't try to put over every single competitor like UFC tries to do with their video packages. Aside from some Rogan-isms, I haven't seen them try to bury anyone outright.

They give you fighters strenghts, weaknesses and backgrounds...and that's more than we get from WWE these days.

Dames

Guest Askewniverse

I dug Salaverry adding in an elbow strike after locking on the triangle.

UFC: Unleashed serves the same purpose and function of WWE RAW. In that, they are the same. The WWE just chooses to do what they do and do it poorly.

The matches they have are meaningless. The promos, for the most part, don't build towards matches or enhance a wrestler in the eyes of the fans. There is a disproportionate amount of time (both promo and in-ring) given to a select few, while the rest get zilch. The WWE has done RAW for too long, they forget its purpose. The phrase "necessity is the mother of invention" fits nicely - the WWE runs 50 shows a year, 2 hours per show, plus 12 PPV's. They have too much time, so they waste it. They aren't efficient. The UFC, on the other hand, has waited so long for national television exposure, that they cut the bullshit, give you what you need, and let their product speak for itself. It's pretty bare bones, and I like that.

Tonights Unleashed served its purpose well. It established Ivan Salaverry, Josh Koscheck, Chris Leben, and Nate Quarry. How impressive were each of those guys tonight? Do you feel that you know those guys better because of the combination of fight highlights, interviews, and the fight itself? In 44 minutes, the UFC has helped effectively elevate 4 different fighters. Was it the greatest show ever? No. But it was a good show. I was planning on watching the midnight showing of RAW, but instead felt satisifed enough to just come online and chat about Unleashed. The only problem I had was that they didn't put up the Ultimate Fight Night card and go through the matches - but then again, this is something new for them so there is still a maturation process. If they keep this going until the next show, I imagine they will do a better job promoting their live shows.

I'm still fairly new to the UFC in general so take my thoughts with a grain of salt (btw, thanks to all that recommended this show, I enjoyed it about 200% more than RAW).

1. I was a fan of Koscheck during TUF, and he didn't disappoint me here. As said above (by Dames) he finally showed that he could finish a guy, as he just destroyed (ugh, can't remember the guy's name) his opponent last night. A couple of nice takedowns and some vicious blows to the face that he set up nicely. I will look forward to seeing more of him in the future.

2. Did anyone else get the feeling that the ref was told before hand that he might be stepping in early in the Leben/Thacker fight? Granted Thacker didn't have any offense at all at the point the fight was stopped, but it's not like he was knocked out, or even looked like he was getting pummeled post-fight (his face was, relatively, not that bad). He was certainly outclassed, I'm not arguing that, but it still looked as though he could maybe have gotten away from Leben at that point.

3. Quarry, gut shot, ouch.

4. I don't know much about submissions or whatever, but that Salaverry figure four thingy looked badass to me. I'm not positive, but it looked like Frykland was yelling "MY BACK" to the ref just before tapping out. I'd guess that Salaverry was leaning back, putting pressure on Frykland's lower back by pulling down on his hips (with Salaverry's legs) and up on his neck/shoulders. That was just sick.

5. I agree with Rudo about the building of the fighters. With a 2-3 minute promo, showing each fighter winning a couple of matches, they built each match THAT NIGHT into something interesting. WWE could learn a lot from that kind of build. It doesn't take a necrophilia/rape/wedding angle to get people interested in a fight. Just having each person sitting in front of a camera saying something to the effect of "He's been talking shit about me behind my back, I'm tired of it, and I'm going to kick his ass." Boom, instant fued, instant heat, interesting build. Wow that was tough.

Damn...Leben finally got a win and just beat the shit out of Thacker. 

I marked out for the finish of Salaverry/Fryklund when I saw it the first time and I still mark out for the FIGURE FOUR OF DEATH~!

Don't wanna spoil the Salaverry/Riggs finish, but it's also memorable. 

Dames

What the fuck is a figure four of death? You mean the body triangle spinelock?

WWE doesn't try to put over every single competitor like UFC tries to do with their video packages. Aside from some Rogan-isms, I haven't seen them try to bury anyone outright.

Why exactly would they bury anyone? They have no reason to. Dana White does have problems with Frank Shamrock and BJ Penn currently, but those are professional and even then Dana doesn't wish them any misfortune. In the UFC they try to get quality fighters to face each other for belts that actually mean something because you actually compete for real to obtain one. They are trying to use these competitors so that the audience will get behind them based on their performance and in the future buy PPVs where there favourite fighters compete, making UFC money and raising their other fighters profiles at the same time by exposing fans to other fighters on the same cards. If they even tried to give someone a "gimmick" it wouldn't work because the fighter could always turn around and say "I'm paid to fight, not dress like an Arab". Besides, most of the guys are characters anyway (Arlovski, Sudo, "Mayhem" Miller, Trigg, Riggs, Leben just to name a few). The UFC is an actual sport whereas WWE is not. Trying to compare them in terms of their promotional tactics is pointless since one is real while the other is entertainment that has the pretence of being real.

What do you call the Mir/Silvia ARMBAR OF DEATH~! finish?

Dude, that wasn't booked. Why do you refer to it as a finish and what exactly do you want to name it for? Why not just call it a sloppy armbar? Your use of wrestling terms in relation to a real sport is pretty geeky.

Everybody look for an acquaintance of mine, Shannon Knapp, this weekend as she'll be doing the post fight interviews for Ultimate Fight Night. She's a step up from Kerri "So how do you feel?" Kasem.

Ouch, Dames announces his resignation from unfuckwitability and now the vultures are circling :)

A triangle is commonly referred to as a figure 4... for the same reason - they are discriptive titles as they reflect the shape of the move. I'm pretty sure you know that, however my sarcasm meter hasn't detected enough to start ringing the alarms.

Why would a company want to bury its paid performers and limit their ability to make you money? The WWE still does it, which I believe was the point being made and how the UFC is better in that regard. I don't mind Rogan editorializing, even if I disagree with him on occasion.

The armbar finish was called the finish because it was the finish of the match.

I saw Kerri Kasem on an episode of the ben stiller show, I scored huge obsure reference points for it among those I was watching with. I didn't think she was bad when she did the post-fights, she just wasn't great. If you don't like "how do you feel" then by all means, don't watch Freedom Fight 2005 ;)

2. Did anyone else get the feeling that the ref was told before hand that he might be stepping in early in the Leben/Thacker fight? Granted Thacker didn't have any offense at all at the point the fight was stopped, but it's not like he was knocked out, or even looked like he was getting pummeled post-fight (his face was, relatively, not that bad). He was certainly outclassed, I'm not arguing that, but it still looked as though he could maybe have gotten away from Leben at that point.

A fighter has to intelligently defend himself - which means Thacker would have to try grab and control Lebens hands with his own to prevent getting punched, or wrap his arms around Lebens body as to prevent Leben from getting enough momentum on the punches, or try to move his head and body enough to avoid taking the majority of the punishment. Just covering up and blocking isn't sufficient, and he wasn't even doing that. He was flailing around on the ground like a fish on the floor of a boat, it was clear that he had nothing to defend himself with.

This is something that can be hard to get used to for some, since in boxing a fighters' brainmatter will have to be expelled from their nose before a ref will stop the fight, while in the UFC if the fight is progressing in a way that will only lead to one fighter getting severely hurt, they'll stop the fight. The UFC has to rebuild its image and wants to be recognized as a legitimate sport, which means it has to be relatively "safe" or at the very least "protected" as not to give their detractors any ammunition. They are by no means consistant, as there have been times where I disagreed with them stopping the fight and there are times when I have said "OH COME ON AND STOP IT!!" - it's a fine balance, but they don't seem to be improving and yet they keep the same refs (Dean, Mazigatti, and Yamazaki in particular). It should also be noted that they usually allow for things to play out in title fights and big matches than prelims.

RE: The triangle bodylock

Fryklund was still nursing a previous back injury during the match, and Ivan Salaverry's Thai cup was also being pushed right into Tony's spine. Bad combination.

As Frykland later said: "I ain't no pussy or anything... but that fucking HURT."

RE: The triangle bodylock

Fryklund was still nursing a previous back injury during the match, and Ivan Salaverry's Thai cup was also being pushed right into Tony's spine. Bad combination.

As Frykland later said: "I ain't no pussy or anything... but that fucking HURT."

Ah I didn't know he had a previous back injury (obviously), smart of Salaverry to get on his back and wrench on it then.

I saw Kerri Kasem on an episode of the ben stiller show, I scored huge obsure reference points for it among those I was watching with.  I didn't think she was bad when she did the post-fights, she just wasn't great.  If you don't like "how do you feel" then by all means, don't watch Freedom Fight 2005 ;)

Too bad Beg, Borrow and Deal never appeared north of the border. Kerri looked hot on that show.

Anyways, I thought Fryklund was saying "I'm tapping" because, well, he couldn't physically tap.

Koschek was going to win that match against Sanford regardless, but if he knew how to finish a guy, the match would've been over sooner. Still, I agree that he could become a monster if he continues to improve.

Thacker reminded me of that Kids in the Hall sketch where Bruce McCollough gets his ass kicked, but keeps getting up despite everyone telling him to stay down.

Salaverry's kick was awesome. Not so much for Riggs, who had the misfortune of moving his head in at a very bad time. Anyways, more awesome was how quickly Salaverry followed up on it. There wasn't a lot of time to capitalize on Riggs being stunned, and Salaverry was all over it.

Have I mentioned how much I love Unleashed???

August 8th - Monday, 11:05 PM ET

Unleashed - Spike TV

Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz

Chuck Liddell vs. Vernon White (~!!!)

Randy Couture vs. Pedro Rizzo 1 (~!!!!!)

August 15th - 11:05 PM ET

Unleashed - Spike TV

Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg 1 (~!)

Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg 2 (~!)

Rich Franklin vs. Evan Tanner 1 (haven't seen this since it aired... ~!!!!)