TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justcoz

Matt Hardy Promo

Guest JMA

I was actually glad that Matt broke kayfabe when it came to the Lita/Kane wedding--just an awful program. Anyway, this was their way to "write Kane out," which is fine by me. As long as this doesn't start happening with other angles, everything will be fine.

One thing I am curious about is who'll win this program. If Edge wins, Matt will lose any overness he had and go back to the midcard. If Matt wins, there's a chance he can maintain that overness and be an important factor on Raw. If the latter scenario happens, Edge could keep his heat by dumping Lita and blaming all his problems on her.

This whole thing died on me as soon as Matt Hardy magically attacked Edge backstage. The backstage jumping should have NEVER happen and with his promo tonight, the nail was just put into the coffin. I didn't need to know the entire story behind the Hardy/Lita/Edge thing again, I heard it a few weeks ago when Edge did the entire "this is bullshit" promo. A street fight match needs to happen at Summerslam. If the match is billed as a regular match, we'll have some crappy ending to it and the feud will continue for awhile longer, it HAS to be a type of brawling match, for this to work. And I'm just wondering, did it piss anyone off when Hardy said that it was leaked out to the public? It wasn't leaked out to the public, Hardy reported it so everyone on his fansite could see......Damnit Matt Hardy is becoming the biggest fucking punk to me now.

Lets face it angstfull sons of bitches gimmicks have worked in the past. As far as Hardy's promo, I thought it was middle of the road. It could of have been better if he would have went in a different cirection ie. told McMahon to go fuck a tree. As far as what he did say, it could have been much worse then it was. They had to do something besides Matt Hardy through the crowd, its a shoot! angle. The crowd could of been hotter throughout the promo, but the initial crowd pop was pretty intense. Advertise this match as Matt Hardy VS. Adam Copeland with Amy Dumas, make it "non-sanctioned" and you got all the marks convinced its gonna be a "shoot".

Or rather, the unemployment line.

Like I said in the RAW thread, trying to maintain the whole shoot aspect of this "feud" is making them all look like jackasses. "Okay folks, the stuff we've been doing all along with Kane and Lita was FAKE™, but this stuff right here, this is REAL™. As evidenced by this thread and the folks in the stands, all it's doing is frustrating the smarts and confusing the marks. They should have just kept everyone's mouth shut until SS, and just say "OK, we admit it; Hardy's been here, and he won't stop until he gets Edge, so at SummerSlam yadda yadda yadda…"

Fuckin' morons. And here I thought the announcement would be about moving back to the USA Network. This was much more anticlimactic.

They really dropped the ball on this one. Breaking kayfabe on the Kane/Lita storyline doesn't help either. Why didn't Matt mention he got fired?

Hardy's promo was okay, but I agree in a couple months he's going to be back to curtain-jerking.

Guest JMA
This storyline is finished.

I doubt it. Matt vs. Edge and HBK vs. Hogan are the only SummerSlam matches that I really care about. Then again, that isn't saying much.

Anyway, I don't see this storyline going away.

But what happens after SS? Even if they cop out with a DQ or no-contest, what steam is left? They fight again and again (just like Edge and Kane), with each bout being less and less interesting. And it's not like you can plug in accomplices for tag bouts to freshen things up since Matt is essentially a loner. Unless they feed Snitsky to Matt, which I don't see them doing. Besides, Matt is painting himself more and more as a whiny ex-boyfriend, with that heavy-handed crap about wishing Edge dead and Matt "not being able to have children". What, did losing his job lower his sperm count? Does he have a narrow urethra now?

There going to need some delicate spin-doctoring so that Hardy really comes off as sympathetic and Edge is displayed as a true asshole. Otherwise, the fans are going to shit all over this. The backlash is already starting.

Is Kane un-arrested or is he "indefinitely removed from TV" like Hassan?

"Okay folks, the stuff we've been doing all along with Kane and Lita was FAKE™, but this stuff right here, this is REAL™.

Even worse was Vince giving his official approval on the whole mess in the first place. Matt's awful delivery didn't help.

Guest JMA
There going to need some delicate spin-doctoring so that Hardy really comes off as sympathetic and Edge is displayed as a true asshole. Otherwise, the fans are going to shit all over this. The backlash is already starting.

That can be easily accomplished by having Edge do something asshole-ish to Matt on the next Raw. They definitely jumped the gun on bringing Matt back so soon, but this storyline is far from irrepairable. I knew from the start of this angle that people would be disappointed by it (it was too big in their heads), so it comes as no surprise to me that some members of the IWC are already tired of it

As for the backlash, I haven't seen it yet on-screen. The crowd last night was just plain bad.

Guest JMA
Is Kane un-arrested or is he "indefinitely removed from TV" like Hassan?

I'm guessing that Kane will sit out for a while so that fans can forget about the crappy marriage angle. He'll then be brought back with a fresher character.

I called it in the Raw thread.

Matt needed a kick ass promo and didn't deliver and now this storyline is DOA. It's made even worse because Amy "Doomah" isn't participating. Seeing as that she is the prime reason they even have a feud, I'd think she needs to be there or else.

Guest JMA
I called it in the Raw thread.

Matt needed a kick ass promo and didn't deliver and now this storyline is DOA. It's made even worse because Amy "Doomah" isn't participating. Seeing as that she is the prime reason they even have a feud, I'd think she needs to be there or else.

Edge needed to be there as well. And while we're at it, Hogan really needs to start showing up at Raws.

I think I remember bringing up all these issues at the height of this whole shoot/angle. I pondered exactly how you can bring Matt back and not conflict with the whole Kane/Lita/Edge thing. Basically they have now admitted "This is fake bullshit" in regards to what we have seen for the past 6 months. Sure we know that but it's always bad to say it on TV.

The whole thing really reminded me of Russo era WCW, when guys like Nash and Steiner went out saying they were going against the booking and all that. As in "What you saw before was fake except for what you're seeing right now, which is real."

This whole thing died on me as soon as Matt Hardy magically attacked Edge backstage. The backstage jumping should have NEVER happen and with his promo tonight, the nail was just put into the coffin. I didn't need to know the entire story behind the Hardy/Lita/Edge thing again, I heard it a few weeks ago when Edge did the entire "this is bullshit" promo. A street fight match needs to happen at Summerslam. If the match is billed as a regular match, we'll have some crappy ending to it and the feud will continue for awhile longer, it HAS to be a type of brawling match, for this to work. And I'm just wondering, did it piss anyone off when Hardy said that it was leaked out to the public? It wasn't leaked out to the public, Hardy reported it so everyone on his fansite could see......Damnit Matt Hardy is becoming the biggest fucking punk to me now.

I'm calling a bullshit finish at SummerSlam and a rematch at Unforgiven as a Street Fight.

I thought the promo was pretty good, except for the hoping Edge gets killed in a car accident. That kind of ruined a lot of the goodwill he had built up with the audience.

Matt should show a sex tape of him bedding Edges ex, and then someone else is in bed and it turns out to be Edges mom, or sister, or something.  Something especially cold.

Matt slips Christian a roofie colada after a Smackdown taping. There's your video.

Guest JMA
I think Hogan not being at RAW helps the angle, but that might just be me.

Only if they want Hogan to be the heel. I'm not sure what they're doing with this angle. I do like it, though.

And I think that's what we'll see happen. They have HBK saying all this stuff about Hogan, and then with Hogan not being there for every show...it sorta shows the fans that what HBK is saying is true, that Hogan doesn't really care about his fans (I don't believe that's true, but you know what I mean).

Then they have HBK doing stuff like what we saw on RAW, and that will only make people go wild for him.

I want...no, I DEMAND another promo from Hogan like what he gave at Bash at the Beach '96. I could see HBK and Hogan going back and forth on the mic on the next RAW, with HBK just going off on him, yelling, saying things like "Hogan, ADMIT the fans don't mean anything to you, ADMIT that it's all about the money in your eyes, ADMIT that you are only out for yourself", and have HBK go on and on and on about it, to the point that it looks like HBK is going to just go insane, sweating and almost crying, and Hogan is just standing there, looking like he's getting more and more pissed off. The fans expect Hogan to tell HBK that he's an ass, but instead Hogan comes back with something, screaming it into the mic, like "Yes it's true you damn son of a bitch and I'm proud of the fact!!!!! I've made more money in this business than anyone else in history because I always looked out for myself and only myself! Screw you, and screw the fans, because like it or not, they'll still pay to see me if they love me or if they hate my guts...and it's all because I'm Hulk Hogan!!!!"

Something like that, it would be awesome in my eyes.

It wont happen, but I'd love it. They could put on one of the best promos ever if they wanted to.

Guest JMA

That sounds great and all, but I would prefer it if HBK leaves this feud a heel. He's much more interesting that way.

Oh trust me, I like HBK as a heel way more than as a face. For this specific match though, I think it would work better (both for the in-ring action as well as the emotional impact of the match) to have Hogan heel and HBK face. It would also set Hogan up to be the heel come WM if he faces someone like Austin.

The HBK we'd be getting would be a DX style of face HBK, just without all of the perverted stuff I imagine. It would be very easy to morph that type of character into a full blown heel right after this match takes place. Not the night of the match, but in the weeks after.

I'm a huge Hogan fan, I'm a bigger mark for him than anyone else in history, but even I can admit that the entire face Hogan thing has already worn a bit thin. It's back for him to go back to doing what he can do damn well.

It was just messed up.... there was no reason to break character at all.  Everyone knows the situation.

First of all, Edge wasn't at the arena because he was at home watching Lita.  Yet Matt basically says that Kane was never married to Lita and that it was an act.  So... that pretty much fucks up Kane and Lita's character doesn't it?  Now I'm glad that they killed off that storyline, but you can't say two things about a character and expect the crowd to buy into it.  Because what is going on now is not real dispite them using real issues.  There did not need to be an explination.

I 100% agree that that "Amy you whore, Adam you piece of shit, and screw you vince for trying to make money off of me" would have worked a whole lot better.  Afterall, Vince admited he was pouring gas on the fire so he had that coming to him

not really, in the storylines Lita was forced to marry Kane, but she had no obligation to live with him did she? she still could have been with Matt

Or not.

This whole thing gives me a headache.

Of course the angle is getting boring, after matts return to attack and a promo, whats left? just a match, now its just an other wrestling angle.

dont act all shocked and dismayed. The moment the angle began you should have been wondering when the "WWE fucks up the storyline and makes it just another boring WWE angle" moment was coming. This happens with virtually every single storyline.

Why would it suddenly end now?

Guest JMA
dont act all shocked and dismayed. The moment the angle began you should have been wondering when the "WWE fucks up the storyline and makes it just another boring WWE angle" moment was coming. This happens with virtually every single storyline.

Why would it suddenly end now?

People would be disappointed no matter what happened. Matt could've cut the best promo of his career and still people would've been let down. Why? Because the angle has been built up (in some of the minds of the IWC) so much that there's no way that it couldn't be a letdown to them.

Personality, I disagree with anyone saying, "The angle is dead" or "The angle is ruined." I'm interested in seeing where this is going--as in actually seeing it, rather than speculate how WWE will mess things up. WWE has a bad track-record with these things, but I'm going to go against my instincts this one time and actually give them the benefit of the doubt. That might turn out to be a mistake on my part, but even if it is it won't matter much to me.

I was thinking about this... what would have been perfect would have been for Matt hardy to jump the rail and enter the ring during Vince's announcement about Raw breaking the primetime TV record. Vince tells security to back off, and Vince gives Matt a live mic.

From there I see either two things, or a combination of them, happening. 1) Matt asks for a match against Edge at summer slam and gets it because Vince is the kind of person that that won't blink at making money off of somebody. 2) Hardy attacks vince for firing him! In return, we in a way get a little Matt vs. Vince feud going on, and Vince decides to 'punish' Hardy by giving him exactly what we wanted by putting him in a light out match at Summer Slam at Edge. Or 3) An Edge/Hardy confrontation in the ring with Vince there with the 'if you want to fight, settle this at summerslam!' type thinking by Vince.

Anything would have really been better than making this worked shoot

Edit: 4) Comedy Option: Lita on a Pole match, omglolz!

I'm a huge Hogan fan, I'm a bigger mark for him than anyone else in history, but even I can admit that the entire face Hogan thing has already worn a bit thin. It's back for him to go back to doing what he can do damn well.

I miss Hollywood as well. I miss the Voodoo Child entrance. I miss the black and white. I miss the painted on beard. The red and yellow, Real American, thing was nice for a one time nostalgia trip but let's not forget that this particular image of Hogan was getting booed before he even turned heel.

So, Summerslam.... Nash and Hall appear at ringside to cheer on HBK and then attack Michaels, leading to HHH and Sean Waltman coming to his aid. Yeah, I know, get out of 1998. I'm trying but it was just better back then.

I'm in agreement as far as the angle goes. The promo was a little too far outside the box, and even though they got massive pops, the moment you saw Matt Hardy attacking Edge out of the crowd, or even if they downplayed it and say, had Matt lurking in the shadows or sitting in the crowd just watching and staring daggers at Edge and Lita, it was going to be a work.

I don't think that there was a really satisfactory way to pull this angle off. I have no doubt that if what happened between Edge, Lita and Matt actually happened, they were sternly told by Vince to keep it in the ring and stay within the storyline.

Do I think that the writers have screwed it up? Not quite yet, though its certainly looking that way. I'm going to wait and see how it plays out before I start bitching.

Make no mistake, I have little faith that this can be done to a satisfactory conclusion. But wait and see is the best thing to do.