TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JMFabiano524

You Sold Out chants...

Now, I know most of us think that people who have chanted "You sold out" at a wrestler, say, going to the Big Two, are being immature and disrespectful. So here's an interesting question...do you think anyone actually ever EARNED that chant or would most likely warrant it? I imagine a lot of stuff will be based on hindsight, i.e. "If I only knew what was going to happen."

Note: This is NOT a way to get people to admit that so-and-so did sell out. I just wanted to know what your opinions were.

Mike Awesome leaving ECW to go to WCW...while still under contract to ECW, and the ECW World champion. Yeah, he earned him. Didn't have too much of a chance to chant them, since he was gone within a month of negotations with WCW, but hey.

Yeah I'd say Awesome over nearly anyone else who did the ECW jump to WCW. People who left ECW in 1995 or 96 were doing a typical "indy fed guy who goes to a major promotion" type jump. It was not much different than a guy from the USWA or somewhere jumping to the WWF. But by 2000? ECW was a more notable company, had PPVs and a TV contract....it was bullshit for Awesome to do what he did. I think he had a dispute over PPV payoffs which is why Heyman didn't get a lawsuit out of it (or I never heard of one). That said, he should have given some sort of 30 day notice so they could at least position someone to take the title from him.

Yeah I'd say Awesome over nearly anyone else who did the ECW jump to WCW.  People who left ECW in 1995 or 96 were doing a typical "indy fed guy who goes to a major promotion" type jump.  It was not much different than a guy from the USWA or somewhere jumping to the WWF.  But by 2000?  ECW was a more notable company, had PPVs and a TV contract....it was bullshit for Awesome to do what he did.  I think he had a dispute over PPV payoffs which is why Heyman didn't get a lawsuit out of it (or I never heard of one).  That said, he should have given some sort of 30 day notice so they could at least position someone to take the title from him.

It's not his responsibility. Madusa went to WCW with the WWF Womens title and threw it in the trash. They are independent contractors and free to go wherever they wanted. Do you honestly think Mike Awesome would tell WCW "Hey thanks for the offer, but I got this belt to take care of first"? Just be glad he even came back to drop the belt to a WWF guy.

If you are a groups world champion and you want to leave, you don't sneak out in the middle of the night and don't tell anyone that you're going to one of the two national promotions. Awesome deserves everything he gets for not doing business the right way on his way out.

If you are a groups world champion and you want to leave, you don't sneak out in the middle of the night and don't tell anyone that you're going to one of the two national promotions. Awesome deserves everything he gets for not doing business the right way on his way out.

I wasn't too familiar with the situation. I had thought ECW was aware of what Awesome was doing with WCW all along. If that's the case, I take my words back. Fuck him.

Yeah, ECW had no idea, which is why they didn't get the belt off him. That is also the reason they got Tazz to come in and take the title off him, as they thought WCW might get in his ear and entice him not to cooperate. From what was reported, Awesome was afraid Tazz was going to legit hurt him.

The key detail is that Mike Awesome was not an independent contractor in the sense that he had no written agreement and was working the territories in the old days, thus being able to leave whenever he wanted. He had a written contract. I don't know the exact nature of whatever grievance he had with Heyman (I thought it was something about PPV bonuses) but he should have had the decency to stay another week or two to build a match with whoever and job the title...then start with WCW. I don't think anyone would have had a problem with that.

One additional problem Heyman had was who to job Awesome to. They had just started the build for RVD/Awesome, which would have obviously led to Van Dam FINALLY winning the ECW title. Problem is, RVD got hurt and thus Awesome couldn't drop it to him (it's debatable as to whether Heyman would have even had Awesome job to RVD in a match with zero build on a house show).

Thus, Awesome's dick move wound up with Taz coming from nowhere to win the ECW title again, and a musical chairs with Dreamer and finally Justin Credible winning it.

Mike Awesome wasn't making shit from ECW. He had a great opportunity to provide for himself by jumping. So good for him! Wrestling is a business.

Guest Fook

No one's faulting him for going to WCW, but he should have told Heyman so the belt could be taken off him in a proper match. It's called consideration. If you quit your job, do you give them proper notice or do you just not show up one day?

Oh, I don't blame him for leaving ECW, especially given ECW's financial situation after mid-99 (when checks were bouncing left and right). But to just flat-out go to another company when you are LEGALLY BOUND to a contract you signed? To jump from one sinking ship to another sinking ship, with the other one being the SWORN ENEMY of the ship you were just on? That's selling out. He accepted MONEY to take the ECW World title, and all that it embodied, and throw it IN THE TRASH on Nitro. If it wasn't for a legal injunction from Heyman and his father (who I do believe is Paul E's lawyer, though I could be wrong), ECW would have died a lot earlier.

So, let's break it down:

Leaving one employer and taking everything that you and they once stood for and throwing it in the trash for money = selling out.

But to just flat-out go to another company when you are LEGALLY BOUND to a contract you signed? To jump from one sinking ship to another sinking ship, with the other one being the SWORN ENEMY of the ship you were just on? That's selling out.

So, let's break it down:

Leaving one employer and taking everything that you and they once stood for and throwing it in the trash for money = selling out.

Great, that means most football players sell out too.

But to just flat-out go to another company when you are LEGALLY BOUND to a contract you signed? To jump from one sinking ship to another sinking ship, with the other one being the SWORN ENEMY of the ship you were just on? That's selling out.

So, let's break it down:

Football players can switch teams under the table while under contract? When did free agency end?

So, let's break it down:

Football players can switch teams under the table while under contract? When did free agency end?

Whats free agency? :huh: You mean Bossman ruling?

Guest jm29195

Brock Lesnar fully earned the chants he got at MSG at WMXX- WWE put millions into his push and had him go over pretty much everyone to give him a monster rep and make him a bonafide main eventer- then he goes and decides to walk out on the biggest stage of them all and play football- that's a betrayl of his co-workers and the fans.......

Guest Fishyswa

Pro Wrestlers can't sell out, selling out is opting for money over loyalty, wrestlers do everything they do to make money, it's there only loyalty.

If pro wrestling started as an art form I could possibly see the case made but it's been business from day one.

I disagree, some people are clearly in it for love of wrestling, and if say Tommy Dreamer did what Cactus was saying he should do, that would've been sellling out. Raven going to WCW might be considered selling out

No one's faulting him for going to WCW, but he should have told Heyman so the belt could be taken off him in a proper match.  It's called consideration.  If you quit your job, do you give them proper notice or do you just not show up one day?

If I was offered a boatload of money by a bigger company that asked me to leave the smaller company (that wasn't even paying me anymore) without notice, YES, I would do it. Good for Mike Awesome.

No one's faulting him for going to WCW, but he should have told Heyman so the belt could be taken off him in a proper match.  It's called consideration.  If you quit your job, do you give them proper notice or do you just not show up one day?

If I was offered a boatload of money by a bigger company that asked me to leave the smaller company (that wasn't even paying me anymore) without notice, YES, I would do it. Good for Mike Awesome.

Well it sure worked out for him. Now it seems like he's blackballed from US promotions (hell remember ONS when everyone was shitting on him then he surprised them with a nice throwback to his ECW days with Tanaka?)

I disagree, some people are clearly in it for love of wrestling, and if say Tommy Dreamer did what Cactus was saying he should do, that would've been sellling out. Raven going to WCW might be considered selling out

How would that be Raven "selling out"???

Brock Lesnar fully earned the chants he got at MSG at WMXX- WWE put millions into his push and had him go over pretty much everyone to give him a monster rep and make him a bonafide main eventer- then he goes and decides to walk out on the biggest stage of them all and play football- that's a betrayl of his            co-workers and the fans.......

It's been said numerous times, but he really didn't sell out. Bob already pointed out that he went for less money, but all he wanted to do was, as cheesy as it sounds, be happy. At the time, he was really stressed out with the schedule, so he followed a dream. Sure, I would have preferred he stayed, but I'm not pissed at him. It's not like he walked out the day of WM, either. I think he gave at least two weeks notice.

I think zyn meant football as in soccer and snuffbox meant football as in American football.

I meant football as in football, snuffbox meant football as in American football. :headbang:

Whats free agency?  :huh: You mean Bossman ruling?

BOSSMAN RULING!

That is some funny shit right there.

Whats so funny about it? :huh:

I don't think Awesome threw the belt in the trash though?

No, that was Blaze.

How did Raven sell out? Raven was jerked off by every booker/promoter thats hes worked for. :angry:

Brock Lesnar fully earned the chants he got at MSG at WMXX- WWE put millions into his push and had him go over pretty much everyone to give him a monster rep and make him a bonafide main eventer- then he goes and decides to walk out on the biggest stage of them all and play football- that's a betrayl of his            co-workers and the fans.......

It's been said numerous times, but he really didn't sell out. Bob already pointed out that he went for less money, but all he wanted to do was, as cheesy as it sounds, be happy. At the time, he was really stressed out with the schedule, so he followed a dream. Sure, I would have preferred he stayed, but I'm not pissed at him. It's not like he walked out the day of WM, either. I think he gave at least two weeks notice.

Which was more than enough, considering the WWE only book 1 week in advance.

How would that be Raven "selling out"???

More I think about stupider it sounds, I retract it. I forgot for a moment how it seemed Raven got to do as he pleased in WCW to a good extent.

Well it sure worked out for him. Now it seems like he's blackballed from US promotions (hell remember ONS when everyone was shitting on him then he surprised them with a nice throwback to his ECW days with Tanaka?)

I loved that matche because it represented a part of ECW and it just kicked ass, despite not really being a "good" wrestling match. He may not work in the US but he probably made plenty of money from WCW abd his years and years in Japan. He's probably quite content.