TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fanofcoils

Over wrestlers who get little respect

Guest fanofcoils

Wrestlers who were over or/and really good faces/heels (at least at some point) who get little respect by smarks (feel free to add to this list):

Jim Duggan

Jeff Jarrett

Road Dogg

Dusty Rhodes (to some extent)

Lex Luger (to a pretty good extent)

Hogan (the most obvious one, but this is only to some extent as smarks respect his legacy but tons of them "couldn't stand him")

Cena was the first one that came to my mind after reading some of the recent retarded posts in the wwe folder.

I dont recall JJ ever having any actual heat one way or the other.

Bob Holly. Sure he spent most of his carrer as somone no one cared about but lately he has been over and did even get "We want Holly" chants several times while tagging with Charlie Haas.

I dont recall JJ ever having any actual heat one way or the other.

He got a little heat with his woman bashing gimmick in 1999, but you could have put anyone in that role, as the fanbase was going to get into that thing no matter who was behind it. He certainly wasn't very over, and he still isn't.

Billy Gunn.

Everyone always acts like he was this massive failure, but he did a good job with what he was given. He was in one of the most popular tag teams of all time in the NAO. After that ran it's course, he was a very good upper-midcard heel under the Mr. Ass gimmick, with mic skills along the lines of a Chris Jericho and in-ring skills that were passable for the time.

After a completely directionless face run, Billy then made the "Chuck and Billy" tag team work like almost no one else could have, to the point that it was one of the most entertaining undercard gimmicks on Smackdown. Then, he even got over a face turn (from a gay tag team!), after which he appeared on one PPV, and had no memorable appearances again up until his release.

Billy Gunn.

he was a very good upper-midcard heel under the Mr. Ass gimmick, with mic skills along the lines of a Chris Jericho and in-ring skills that were passable for the time.

Thanks for the good laugh. Too bad you're completely fucking wrong, AGAIN. Seriously, what the fuck are you watching that no one else is?

Billy Gunn was only ever over when he had Road Dogg to leech heat off of. They tried making him a singles star, but he flopped miserably, and they had to rush a NAO reunion. On his own, Gunn generates all the heat of an ice cube.

To be fair, Jarrett was uber-over in TNA from the 4th show (July 10, 2002; when he fought a few of the Tennessee Titans because they got too "into it" and jumped over the guardrail to attack him) until Raven/Jarrett ended at Destiny on April 30, 2003. He was effective as a heel until his turn shortly before defeating Ron Killings for the NWA World title (probably the most entertaining I'd ever seen him), and actually was quite an effective face until the terrible finish to Raven/Jarrett.

RVD. For some reason, he doesn't get the respect he deserves from A LOT of smarks (mostly due to him relying on his same old spots in WWE, despite his same old spots still being better than the same old spots from most others on the roster), yet still pops a crowd without even having to say a single word.

Sabu, too. Yes, he's broken down. Yes, he's a liability these days. But does he pop a crowd? Yes.

Billy Gunn.

Excellent choice. He was over a few times during his career (Smoking Gunns, NAO (obviously), etc.). He seemed to get pretty damn loud pops when he returned (I'm thinking of his The One time period). Granted, he couldn't sustain interest on his own for the most part but...

Lex Luger

Ultimate Warrior

Buff Bagwell

I really think someone like Sting doesn't get respected from the IWC like you would think he would. This isn't necessarily based on this board, but in general I see him kinda brushed aside when mentioned with Hart, HBK, The Rock, Foley, Flair, etc etc

I'm curious from folks who go to live shows...does Holly REALLY get loud pops or is it piped in shit manufactured for pre-taped shows?

I was at the SD after Judgment Day 2005, and Holly got probably one of the top four pops of the night, right in there with Cena and Mysterio and, oddly enough, Heidenreich.

I'm curious from folks who go to live shows...does Holly REALLY get loud pops or is it piped in shit manufactured for pre-taped shows?

I cant remember Holly getting that big of a pop when I have been to WWE shows. I always thought his entrance pop was canned heat. However lately people have been screaming for Holly during matches (and you can _see_ them screaming for him so its not just canned heat). I think he really is over. However they cant push him too high because people wont take him seriously in a upper mid card or main event situation. I think he really should be a tag team wrestler. Let him tag with someone who can sell good (play the face in peril) and let Holly be the "Animal" (LOD) of the team. I think that is where he is most useful to WWE.

Billy Gunn.

he was a very good upper-midcard heel under the Mr. Ass gimmick, with mic skills along the lines of a Chris Jericho and in-ring skills that were passable for the time.

Thanks for the good laugh. Too bad you're completely fucking wrong, AGAIN. Seriously, what the fuck are you watching that no one else is?

LOL. Hillarious. Are you off your medication again iggymcfly? Just kidding, its all good.

I really think someone like Sting doesn't get respected from the IWC like you would think he would. This isn't necessarily based on this board, but in general I see him kinda brushed aside when mentioned with Hart, HBK, The Rock, Foley, Flair, etc etc

Yes, its true. Most probably because the people you mentioned have more noteworthy careers, all the shit happening to Hart and HBK, Rocky is in Hollywood, Foley being a Hardcore Legend and writer, Flair a 16 time world champion. There is nothing that really stands out when you say the word Sting though.

Sting is definitely underappreciated.

Would Sid count?

I mean hell, the bastard got pops in ECW.

Which, for some reason, I always found funny.

But I guess pulling a pair of scissors on Arn is worthy of a "He's Hardcore" chant.

Guest J0bber

What about Kevin Nash? He was pretty over as Diesel. If you disagree just watch Royal Rumble 1994.

Guest J0bber
What about Kevin Nash? He was pretty over at Diesel. If you disagree just watch Royal Rumble 1994.

Especially considering the fact that he was a heel at the time.

The funny thing is that Kevin Nash seemed to be more over as a heel for the rest of his career. He was extremely over as a heel during the nWo stint.

As a face, he was never really over. In WWE, his title run was a bit lackluster and his face run in 2003 was horrid.

Gotta agree with most of the stars of the 80's WWF

Hogan, Duggan, JYD, Koko B Ware, Hillbilly Jim, Ultimate Warrior, ect

Talk to someone who was a mark back in that day and itsn't really into wrestling since for whatever reason, they'll swear up and down that they were the best ever