TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wootman

Rob Conway or Buff Bagwell?

Rob Conway or Buff Bagwell? Who is better?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Rob Conway or Buff Bagwell? Who is better?

• Rob Conway
    • Buff Bagwell

Guest wootman

I'm gonna do things The Conway!!!

The Conway!!!

Conway, or the highway!!!!

Some day you'll see things The Conway

Cause you never know

Where, you never know

Where you're gonna go

Some day you'll see things The Conway

Cause you never know

Where, you never know

Where you're gonna go

I'm gonna do things The Conway!!!

The Conway!!!

Conway, or the highway!!!!

Haha, Rob Conway's new gimmick is a h00t! I like it when he says he's gonna do things "The Conway." Now that I think about it, I wanna start doing things "The Conway" too!! I never paid attention to him when he did La Resistance as it was so boring, but he's a pretty interesting cat now. Anyways, let's compare him to Buff Bagwell, who most people think he takes after. Then vote for who you think is better.

ROB CONWAY

He's a pretty good wrestler if I do say so and was more consistant than Bagwell. He doesn't seem to be a troublemaker in the locker room. He likes doing things "The Conway" as he likes to con people. His music is pretty good as well. The internet seems to not hate him, unlike other WWE wrestlers. On the downside, the guy seems to get ZERO reaction, well except for boring chants, and that's just bad. The crowd doesn't seem to know how to react to him. Also, the tights might be a bit too much as they're slitted on the sides. I'd say they're about even in mic abilities.

BUFF BAGWELL

Buff can be good at wrestling when he's motivated. Before his neck-injury, he was usually pretty good. The turmoil in WCW and his neck injury pretty much dashed his spirits and soured him. The internet seems to hate him for some reason. Reading interviews he does, he seems to be misunderstand and he's not as horrible as people paint him out to be. I guess life one the indies have made him more humble. Also, Buff does funny dances which are fun to imitate. Unlike Conway at the moment, Buff usually got pretty good reactions from the crowd, especially from the ladies. Nothing is worse than coming out to dead silence and that was never the case with Buff. Buff is a bit more charismatic and he manages to get the crowd going, which is vital. I think Buff had better music too as it's kinda catchy. And lastly, Buff definately has a better taste in wardrobe and it's less offensive, at least his post American-Males look is. The top hats with his mug on them rocked and well, any tights are better by default than tights with slits on them.

MY PICK

Well, Conway has a job in WWE and Buff Bagwell doesn't. If you compare them today, then I guess you'd have to say Conway is better as Conway is in WWE and Buff is on the indies. But years from now, I think people will look at Buff doing these similar gimmicks better unless Conway somehow manages to make it work, which I'm not too optimistic on as it could be a career killer. This is probably Conway's one and only chance and if he doesn't make it work, he'll probably be released next year. Buff had good success with this gimmick in WCW as he managed to reach the second-tier of stars within the company. Conway can only hope to get as far as Bagwell did with this gimmick. Just how will Conway manage to make this gimmick work? I really don't what he can do.

Even though I like things being done "The Conway", as of now, I think Buff pulled off the gimmick a lot better than Conway has done so far. Things can change though, maybe he will eventually get over, but I have my doubts. He probably should tweak it a bit as what he is doing now doesn't seem to be working. So I guess I pick Buff as being better.

Two weeks into the Con-Man gimmick (as far as RAW goes, I heard it debuted on HeAT) and you're doubting him? There pushing him like Masters so far and if Masters can get to wins over Benjamin then certainly Conway can because he's a lot better in-ring. Masters and Conway both have re-used cheap heat gimmicks; but the fact Conway is better in ring will mean more in the long run.

Guest M. Harry Smilac

Buff at least had that annoying catchphrase you could drive ppl insane with.

Conway looks like he took a wrong turn on his way to 'The Blue Oyster' and wound up at a wrestling show instead.

Guest Quik

Buff was a severely repressed homosexual, whereas Conway is probly gonna come out in 3 weeks.

There's the difference in gimmicks.

All Bagwell had going for him was his look. He was moderately talented, if that, and anything else he had going for him was offset by his terrible attitude. And if WWE fire you for your attittude, you know it's a bad attitude.

Bagwell was always a horrible worker. Difference was, when he was working babyface (literally), he had some crowd support to keep heat in the matches, as well as some partners who were over as well to differing degrees (Patriot, 2 Cold Scorpio).

Once Bagwell went permanent heel, he and his equally boring partners, including Norton (when unmotivated), Shane Douglas, Scott Steiner, and Lex Luger were seen for what they really were: Bland mounds of rest-holds.

Buff was the Stuff when he was a heel as Scott Steiners #1 fan. Rob Conway has the charisma of Maven, the gay biker hat from the 70's that he probably borrowed from Pat Patterson, and the fu-man-chu-stach that he stole from the lead singer of the Darkness.

Two bad gimmicks for Rob Conway basically has him type cast as nothing more than low card jobber who should only appear on the weekend b-shows.

I probably saw Bagwell wrestle from 1992 to 2001 and you know what's funny? I can't think of ONE Bagwell match that is any good. Nothing that would even get to ***. By 1999 or so he was such an abysmal worker that he literally didn't hit anything he tried in the ring. His swinging neckbreaker is the worst I've ever seen, and he couldn't hit his own finisher half the time (The Blockbuster).

Conway is somewhat bland in the ring but he's at least not inept. Besides, he's an original OVW guy from Louisville who finally made it to the main roster.

He just has the damn gimmick for god sake.

Bagwell had a better look for it, it fit him to be honest. Conway is a better wrestler no doubt about it. That's why the internet doesn't hate Conway, because we all know he's a pretty good wrestler. Now if they keep this gimmick on him for 6 months then we will know who pulls of the gimmick the best.

It's been said. Bagwell has a better look. Conway has better everything else. But the gimmick is still absolute shit. If he can survive this gimmick he may have a nice future in the WWE. But typically, i could see him being a Heat exclusive in a couple months, then fired before christmas.

He's getting the same kinda push Masters did; slowly moving up through Val Venis and then the rest of the lowercard faces. But someones going to be expendable when you look at the fact they are debuting a bunch of heels post Draft Lottery on the RAW side: Conway, Dupree, Kerwin White (who still hasn't wrestled IIRC), and I'm not sure whatever they do on HeAT this week is supposed to be a heel or face; but half these debuts are already on HeAT 75% of the time and half aren't going to make it through the next cuts probably.

I dunno, I think Chavo is likely safe due to Uncle Eddie. They can always drop this idiotic Kerwin White crap and send him back to Smackdown...at least if Uncle Eddie abuses him in a family angle it might be entertaining.

Back to Bagwell. Why is it I am drawing a blank on his team with the Patriot? I remember him teaming with Scorpio, and obviously later in the American Males, but I honestly have zero recollection of Stars and Stripes. Were they any good?

the gimmick is still absolute shit. If he can survive this gimmick he may have a nice future in the WWE. But typically, i could see him being a Heat exclusive in a couple months, then fired before christmas.

I expect Conway to be the 1st to go when WWE needs to make cuts for the 5 or so divas that they will hire when the contest is over.

I don't because why did they have him "squash" Viscera on RAW and put himself over on RAW in a promo? They are not doing that for Tomko or Dupree....I say Tomko goes first, I mean what the hell is he doing here anyways? I would have rather have Kenzo f'n Suzuki then Tomko because Suzuki could have a nice little tag team with Tajiri.

Back to Bagwell.  Why is it I am drawing a blank on his team with the Patriot?  I remember him teaming with Scorpio, and obviously later in the American Males, but I honestly have zero recollection of Stars and Stripes.  Were they any good?

They were a pretty good babyface team. They were around for almost a year in 1994-1995. IIRC, they traded tag team title reigns w/ The Pretty Wonderful team of Paul Orndorff and Paul Roma as well as Harlem Heat. It seemed people were way more into the Patriot than they were w/ Bagwell though.

The Patriot was always a solid, underrated wrestler. I did remember him being on WCW for a little bit of time but didn't remember him with Bagwell. I remember him more on Global back in 1992 or so when he won the title on there (hell Global had a better roster than Raw does, haha). And of course I recall his notable feud with Bret Hart during Bret's anti US days.

Anyone wonder what would have happened with The Patriot had he not gotten hurt in late 97 and stayed in the WWF? Would his act have remotely transitioned into the Attitude era, or would he have been repackaged?

I think he'd have been dropped or made to turn heel. His bid for the WWF Title ended in a humiliating submission loss at IYH: Ground Zero as he was thisclose to the ropes but instead gave up in the Sharpshooter. There was really not much left for him to do once the Harts left.

Rob Conway will never succeed because he has a very pinched-looking face. It's not something you want to see a lot of. Not that he or WWE can help that, it's a subconscious thing.

Rob Conway will never succeed because he has a very pinched-looking face. It's not something you want to see a lot of. Not that he or WWE can help that, it's a subconscious thing.

He could become a masked wrestler after the "Buff" Conway character is dropped later on (unless they release him before his character is dropped, anyway).

Too bad that went out of style years ago with non-luchadores and non-Japanese wrestlers in mainstream wrestling. In that case, Conway still wouldn't go far in WWE.