TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Si82

Who should Michaels make a star?

Shawn Michaels has to be one of the vetrans in WWE who still has enough star power and hasn't become damaged goods that could be used to make somebody in the midcard a star. The question being, who should that somebody be? Obiviously once his program with Hogan is over of course.

In my opinion I would go with Shelton Benjamin. The guy has so much potential as a future WWE superstar. He's a talented wrestler who can put on some great matches and the fans seem to connect with him. Granted his mic skills aren't great but, I believe, with time Shelton could improve these skills. It's not to say that promo skills are the most important thing in the world. I mean look at Benoit, he became a star last year based on his in-ring skills. Not only this, but the two could certainly put on a series of great matches as was demonstrated earlier this year on Raw.

So how do you guys think Michaels should help to make a star?

If I was booking Raw, you know who I'd have Shawn Michaels make into a star? Shawn Michaels.

Honestly, I can't think of anyone that I'd rather see carry the program as champion right now. Kurt Angle's been my favorite wrestler for over three years now, but when I saw the Angle/Cena poster circulating the net, my first reaction was "fuck, why aren't they having HBK follow up the Hogan match with a title shot."

If we're looking long-term, I would like to see HBK put over RVD at some point, since he needs to be the face to carry Raw for the next couple years, but I think to do it properly, Shawn should have at least three or four months with the title first.

If we're looking long-term, I would like to see HBK put over RVD at some point, since he needs to be the face to carry Raw for the next couple years, but I think to do it properly, Shawn should have at least three or four months with the title first.

I agree with that, Cena's 15 minutes of fame is almost up and WWE seriously needs somebody to take over as the #1 babyface on RAW.

I don't like either of them. Shelton can work, but neither men have personality, and RVD is a spot monkey.

If anything I would've said Christian, but they went and fucking moved him to "that other show that none of my channels carry."

the WWE will waste his rub on the already over Cena, who will then get crushed by HHH thus negating Cena as a title threat and killing HBK's rub effect all in one fail swoop...it's pretty obvious guys...

If Shawn should job clean against anyone, it's Cena or (dun dun dun) Chris Masters. Masters already looks credible, and it would be somewhat believable to have Michaels pass out from the Masterlock, at this point anyways.

Definetly not Shelton "so much potential" Benjamin with his lack of ability to speak clearly and lack of using his brain in the ring to have a good match instead of just using his athletic ability to do a bunch of good spots. RVD is a lost cause at this point.

I don't think RVD is a lost cause by any means. Take a look at Raw of late, everyone is out there doing the most boring, bland wrestling known to man. At least RVD can do a bit different stuff and if he is allowed to do anything decent at all he'll get more over than most anyone on the roster.

He should pass the torch too...Jericho or RVD.

I don't think RVD is a lost cause by any means.  Take a look at Raw of late, everyone is out there doing the most boring, bland wrestling known to man.  At least RVD can do a bit different stuff and if he is allowed to do anything decent at all he'll get more over than most anyone on the roster.

Lost cause probably wasn't the right word. I was trying to say that I think there is a .1% chance that he'll be pushed as a main eventer in his next couple of years with WWE, so I don't expect Michaels to "pass the torch" to him.

I agree with the picks of Shelton and RVD, but my number one pick would be Rob Conway. Wait, I have reasons for this!!!

When Conway first debuted, most of us liked his potential and thought he could develop into a great wrestler. He had paid his dues in OVW and apparently put on a good show down there. He instantly made La Resistance a good tag team when he started wrestling as half the team, and they were good with either partner alongside Conway.

We have also heard how he stood toe to toe with Benoit in workouts, so he obviously busts his ass training. He also stated in an interview that he wants to pattern his career after Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, as they did tag team wrestling, held the secondary titles, then won the world title. He also wants to make a name for himself as a good worker.

So, I was thinking that Conway's look and attire is kind of in the same fashion as HBK's during his IC-level run. If Conway works his way into getting the IC Title in a few months and has a good run with it, he could draw some comparisons to HBK by the announcers. Then after dropping the title, Michaels could solidify him as an upper-midcarder.

If I was booking Raw, you know who I'd have Shawn Michaels make into a star? Shawn Michaels.

Honestly, I can't think of anyone that I'd rather see carry the program as champion right now. Kurt Angle's been my favorite wrestler for over three years now, but when I saw the Angle/Cena poster circulating the net, my first reaction was "fuck, why aren't they having HBK follow up the Hogan match with a title shot."

I agree.

Until they build the show, title, and just everything overall up, it isn't going to matter who he jobs to, or how many people he does so. He could help set things back on track over the next year, and THEN help build up some other guys.

I also agree, a win over Michaels right now would mean nothing compared to what it would mean after a win over Hogan and a few months with the world title. Not the mention, he's the most entertaining guy on Raw and should be at the top again, regardless.

Michaels lost his rub in 1998. Now he can still help a guy and have good programs, but his days of being able to make a career is over. He isn't a big enough star any more. Unfortunately, the only man who is big enough to be able to make a star with a single job (HHH) has done so much jobbing in the past couple of years that a job from him no longer means anything since he will just continue to hog the spotlight whether he's 100-0 or 0-100. Undertaker is similar to Shawn. People like him still, but beating him is no longer this great accomplishment as Orton will find out in a couple of weeks.

Anyways, my choice would be Cena. He's already over, but a clean win over Shawn would give him some credibility that he'll need after HHH crushes him at Survivor Series.

Jericho will never hold that torch again, that much is painfully apparent...he SHOULD HAVE passed the torch at WM19...

I totally agree with that. Michaels should have lost clean to Jericho. I mean, it wouldn't have hurt him and put Jericho over at the same time.

With the way they're pushing him, I'd say Masters would really benefit from the win. After all the boring MasterLock segments, they've actually started making a decent effort with the guy, as he has in-ring MasterLock victories over Tajiri and Benjamin. If he wins this feud with Big Show, a close, clean win over Michaels with the lock would make Masters look like a real contender and HBK is good enough to carry the improving Masters to his best match yet (while that isn't saying much)

Anyways, my choice would be Cena.  He's already over, but a clean win over Shawn would give him some credibility that he'll need after HHH crushes him at Survivor Series.

dammit, HHH is always the root cause of every problem whether he's around or not! :D

Guest Brian
Michaels lost his rub in 1998.  Now he can still help a guy and have good programs, but his days of being able to make a career is over.  He isn't a big enough star any more.  Unfortunately, the only man who is big enough to be able to make a star with a single job (HHH) has done so much jobbing in the past couple of years that a job from him no longer means anything since he will just continue to hog the spotlight whether he's 100-0 or 0-100.  Undertaker is similar to Shawn.  People like him still, but beating him is no longer this great accomplishment as Orton will find out in a couple of weeks.

Anyways, my choice would be Cena.  He's already over, but a clean win over Shawn would give him some credibility that he'll need after HHH crushes him at Survivor Series.

I don't know if his rub was gone in 1998, because he still could have made someone in his initial time back, but I definately would say that he doesn't have that aura to do that for someone now.

If he beats Hogan, goes further heel, and beats everyone he faces for awhile, he could give a rub again. Raw is in Montreal this Monday, so you know he will be heading into SS as more of a heel than Hogan.

Guest SoZe
If Shawn should job clean against anyone, it's Cena or (dun dun dun) Chris Masters. Masters already looks credible, and it would be somewhat believable to have Michaels pass out from the Masterlock, at this point anyways.

Definetly not Shelton "so much potential" Benjamin with his lack of ability to speak clearly and lack of using his brain in the ring to have a good match instead of just using his athletic ability to do a bunch of good spots. RVD is a lost cause at this point.

And what does Chris Masters use to have a "good match"??

Ah, that's right. He's never had one.

Guest JMA

I'd say he should give the rub to RVD, and maybe Shelton after he's been built back up.

If HBK is a heel going against RVD, Michaels would win the feud on the mic hands down. Not to sound like an RVD hater, but charisma wise, Michaels as a heel is going to over-shadow RVD as a face. Plus, it's hard to put someone over for their athletic abilites when you've got someone as athletic as him in the ring...especially when they're older than RVD and with a surgically repaired back.

RVD would win the match, but it wouldn't put him over huge, because he'll have been owned on the mic for the 3/4 weeks build to the match.

Cena's probably the best bet at the moment. He needs a big name to go through, because beating CCC, Christian and Jericho hasn't damaged him but hasn't helped as it could.

Guest Y2DAYDAY

Some of you don't get it, some of you do.

On Raw, there isn't that Rock or Austin just waiting to break out. He already broke out and is John Cena. Not saying he is at that level or ever will be but he is the guy that had the most potential to be a tippety top draw so they went with him and it worked and is working. The question is how long will it last and how high will he get?

Chris Jericho, come on. He's an upper midcarder that can work a main event program but he'll never be the guy. He's Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Ted Dibiase, guys like that.

Shelton Benjamin. Overrated as a worker and that is his best quality. No charisma, can't talk, and his only marketable trait, his spots, keep getting botched. Not top player material at this point. Maybe in a couple of years but who knows.

Rob Van Dam. Back in 2001, he got over very quick , beat everybody, worked his style in all matches, and it didn't draw. He beat Jeff Hardy on his first night, beat Chris Jericho a million times, beat Austin, beat Angle, beat Rock,etc. His TV main events did much lower ratings than the usual TV main events. If you can't draw a good rating in a TV main event with Rock, you are the problem. He headlined No Mercy 2001 with Angle and Austin and it didn't draw. He was given the ball as a top babyface and it didn't work so with Austin, Rock, Taker, and HHH returning as a face, they decided to cool him off. They made the right move.

RVD is a guy that crowds and people love but he doesn't appeal to the masses like a Rock, Hogan, Austin, or even Cena or Batista. I think he is a great semi-main event babyface but he wouldn't cut it as the guy. They can give it a try though since he never won the title so he isn't labeled as a guy that failed as champion. He can thank HHH for that one, seriously, because they wanted to put the title on him and HHH argued that if they were not making it the top guy, winning the belt would kill him long term. HHH was right. They have their chance. It may be worth a shot in a year or so.

Everyone else with main event potential is pretty much there but 2 guys.

Chris Masters- Live at RAW Monday, after seeing Kurt Angle and Hulk Hogan, they chant "Steroids" at Chris Masters. If they keep with his slow current push, he can make it as a top heel. He could also fail. But it is worth a shot because he hasn't be damaged like a guy like Jericho has.

Rob Conway- Not with this gimmick but he has the look and body of a star. He can work and talk as well. He needs to pull a Cena, take a shitty gimmick, make it marketable, and constantly tweak it as he moves up the card. Also not damaged yet like Jericho.

Summary:

I think the ship has sailed with Jericho and RVD. They can try with Masters, Conway, and Benjamin but should wait 2 years for all.

And the other poster that said HBK can't make a guy is pretty much right since HBK does a lot of jobs now. Funny how the only guy that has made stars recently in WWE is HHH, and he is the one who catches heat for never doing so.

He flat out MADE Batista. No other way around it.

He elevated Orton to the top level and then they blew it but HHH got him there. it is up to Orton to rebound from the setback and get back on top.

Crowd couldn't care less about Chris Benoit until he beat HHH 10 times in the last year. Now, although he is working midcard on Smackdown, he's still a top guy simply working midcard, and the fans treat him as a star, not a midcarder.

Guest JRE

In a perfect world....Spanky would be at mid-card status by now and ready for a teacher/student feud with Michaels.

Of course, we'll be lucky just to see him fighting the Mexicools.