TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

The Cost of Oil.

I'm glad I live beside a bus stop. My car has gone untouched for at least three weeks, and I don't foresee touching it for another month or so.

Up over $1.20 CDN per litre in Ottawa this morning, which works out to about $4 US PER GALLON.

Bastids.

I live about 45 minutes of Montreal, and filled my car yesterday at $1.09/litre. Good thing, because this morning it was at $1.35/l. So, in the US, it would probably mean the equivalent of $US 4.54 per gallon.

This is crazy, and it's not over.

It's been a madhouse everywhere I have been today. I live in Seneca, SC and I woke up this morning to head to Greenville to eat lunch with a girl I've been seeing, then go with her to the doctor. On my way there, gas was around $2.40-$2.65, depending on the station. I know that's insane as it is, but I was dealing with it.

Then around 2:00 or so, the prices here just started to go up and up. I went to station after station just looking for some gas period, regardless of the price, and many of them had the plastic bags over all of the pumps. My search continued, and I was running low. I couldn't get gas anywhere in Greenville. As I made my way back towards Anderson/Townville, the prices seemed to be going up every 15 minutes or so. I finally found a station with gas (the parking lot where I got gas, and all other stations, were like tailgate parties, they still are) and I had to pay $2.99 for it. As I was pumping, they jumped the price up to $3.29. I just know the guy behind me was pissed off, not just because of the price, but because I was having a problem at the pump and ended up having to go in to pay.

I've never seen anything like this before, I've only been driving since 1995, but still. The prices are still going up here, and just down the road in Atlanta gas is at $6.00+ at many places. Many stations in my area have just flat out refused to sell gas to anyone, closing down for now. I don't know what to make of all of this.

The lines, oh my God the lines from hell.

No sir, I don't like this at all.

Is it just me or is there some "excuse" to raise oil prices. I mean the king of Saudi Arabia dies and prices goes up. Obviously we get most of oil there, but eight oil riggs in the gulf of mexico is offline and it goes up 15 cents more. But in reality most of America and the world does not get oil there.

Price gouging indeed.

Whew, got very lucky.  I'm in Asheville, NC, and I filled up for 2.59 on Tuesday morning, a day before all hell broke loose.  The ones that are open now are like 3.15 at least.

Asheville? I lived there for eight years (now in Boone.)

Stupid Hurricane could knock out a good chunk of the US's oil refineries and the result could be gas prices going up more than a dollar within the next 2 weeks.

Time to stockpile!

Is anyone else who saw "The Oil Storm" starting to freak out.

...YEAH! I'm creeped out already. FX should play it again and freak EVERYONE out.

Dames

Right now there's an Air Farce re-run on. Anyone remember that Honda Civic commercial from 2001 witht he guy taunting the gas station attendant?

The posted price in the skit on Air Farce is 65.9. Don Ferguson is taunting him by saying 'go ahead. Make it 68, 69 or even 70 cents a litre'.

S'all I got.

Anyone else realize that the problem is that there is enough oil out there right now, the problem is with this hurricane is that it has made the issue a distribution problem.

God dammit. It's 3.09 a gallon here. So I can get 3 gallons and a little bit more for 10 bucks!? 10 bucks used to get me like 8 to 9 gallons!!! God dammit!

This is gouging and the thing that sucks is that there is NOTHING I can do about it right now!

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've been toying with the idea of getting some friends and jacking a fuel tanker. Safer than siphoning, probably.

Guest *KNK*
God dammit. It's 3.09 a gallon here. So I can get 3 gallons and a little bit more for 10 bucks!? 10 bucks used to get me like 8 to 9 gallons!!! God dammit!

This is gouging and the thing that sucks is that there is NOTHING I can do about it right now!

Public Transportation, car-pool, walking, bike, smaller and more efficent car...

Nope. Not one thing you can do about it.

Maybe spend a little more then $10 bucks per visit?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

And have to get gas twice per day?

What about transporting freight? The "Oh just carpool or ride the bus that's nowhere near where you live or ride a bike 20 miles to work or walk it or trade in your vehicle and go through that whole process" people will be changing their tune as well when prices at the shelves get stupid because it costs a fortune to get product from the manufacturer to the stores.

The way I see it, this is a pretty strategic time to tap into this country's oil reserves. This is plain price gouging.

I'm also researching something. What did a gallon of gas cost in 1995? A dollar sixty something, thereabouts? It's $3.39 here. That's over a 200% price increase in ten years.

What's the difference in inflation in the same time frame? Popick, you'd probably know that.

How did we fall back into the muscle car (i.e. trucks/SUV) trap anyway?

Gas prices were too low for too long.

Wrong. SUVs fall into the same category as trucks, which gives them a shitload of tax breaks So every soccer mom bought an SUV not because gas prices were low, but because she was going to have to buy a ton of gas before the prices could outweigh the breaks compared to the minivan.

Blame the government for using language that was too loose. And since actually fixing it would destroy the remnants of the American auto industry which is/was using SUVs as their crutch for survival, their hands were rather tied to do anything about it.