TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Chris Jericho to TNA?

First the Matt Hardy thing, then this... plus all the released workers going nowhere in WWE being released into TNA...

anybody think 15 years from now we'll be hearing about how WWE secretly funded and supported TNA, leading to the next big boom period and the Monday Night Wars, V2?

How is that clearly a work? What would Jericho get out of teasing a TNA appearance?

This has definately perked my interest....I guess I'll be the first one to say it but has Jericho had intentions of signing with TNA for awhile now and was just waiting til he got the chance?

I've never heard WWE mention a promotion that they don't own, and I'm sure WWE has some input on what Jericho puts on his website, so it would seem a bit odd for them to be doing this.

Guest karlitoapple

Who knows what's going on here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do find it interesting that he didn't want to sign a new long term deal. Sure the talk is that he wanted time off, but couldn't he have still signed a long term extension? Couldn't he have requested time off in order to a agree to a new deal?

In reference to Porters post......

But again, how does that help 1) Jericho or 2) his current or future status, be it WWE, TNA, etc?

It just doesnt make sense to do pull a work and have that on his site for just "shits and giggles" to me. I just went to the site and someone, even before that picture was posted, "claimed" that Jericho himself told him/her that he signed with them already.

I've never heard WWE mention a promotion that they don't own, and I'm sure WWE has some input on what Jericho puts on his website, so it would seem  a bit odd for them to be doing this.

He's not under contract, why would they have a say?

Jericho vs Raven in the main event would be insane.

Who knows what's going on here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do find it interesting that he didn't want to sign a new long term deal. Sure the talk is that he wanted time off, but couldn't he have still signed a long term extension? Couldn't he have requested time off in order to a agree to a new deal?

That's kind of what I thought too - he could have resigned and as part of it, WWE allows him to take a few months off for the Fozzy stuff, etc. But by that token, he then is required to return. It made no sense why he never re-signed really. Plus the way he was treated on Monday on his way out, seemed very much to me like a burial of sorts, like they arent expecting him back or at very best are unsure. Kind of sounds like a Lex Luger type deal where he told the company not to worry about it, he'll be fine without being under a contract and wont pull any fast moves, but now here it is and there is stuff like this ON HIS OWN WEBSITE.

If I'm getting worked, so be it, but I've never seen someone pull something like this on their website. Comparing this to the Hardy thing is irrelevant, they are two different deals - and I think Matt DID intend to go to TNA up until Vince finally called him, and then he did publicly back away after that happened. Again, there is no real legitimate reason for Jericho or the website to work everyone to think he's going to TNA. That only helps TNA, hurts WWE, and ultimately does nothing to help or hurt Jericho as a whole.

RedJed, it could be a shoot, but I personally think Jericho is testing the water to see how well-received a trip to TNA would be...

Ok that could very well be the case. Thats the only legit reason I could see this happening other than it, well you know, happening for real.

Wrestlezone.com says this...

While there remains the possibility of Chris Jericho debuting with TNA, WWE officials have absolutely no fear that he will do so, reports PWTorch.com And, even if he did, WWE does not believe his presence alone could help make TNA a serious competitor.

Upon embarking on his hiatus, Jericho made it clear to Vince McMahon that he had no intentions of signing with TNA. Thus, if Jericho were to go back on his word, he would burn a serious bridge with WWE and risk having the door closed on a possible return (at least in terms of being a main-event performer). Because Jericho cannot be sure TNA will be a stable, long-term alternative job source, the negatives seem to outweigh the positives for the gamble that is TNA.

With that in mind, it's not as if Jericho has given TNA a great deal of consideration. While the possibility is always open, the wrestler has not expressed anything that could be perceived as a desire to join the company.

But, what if he does? In that case, WWE officials are still not worried, as they do not believe a promotion can be built around Chris Jericho. WWE is very high on Jericho, but the feeling is that he's not nearly big enough a star to single-handedly take a promotion to war with WWE. Obviously, WWE would be upset to lose one of its top performers, but just as Chris Jericho won't be the shot in the arm TNA needs to seriously compete, his absence from WWE would hardly drive it into the ground

PWInsider says this..

In a move that should get a lot of people talking about him, Chris Jericho's official website added a graphic featuring Jericho doing his trademark pose in front of TNA's logo.

If Jericho is actually heading there, there are quite a few people within WWE who will be surprised as none of them expected him to do anything beyond spend time with his family and concentrate on music and acting when he finished up this week.

Jericho had been with the company since 1999 and headlined Wrestlemania X8 against Triple H. He announced in late July (when his WWE deal expired) that he had signed a contract extention that is believed to have taken him through this week, noting at that time to WWE's website that, "I’ve been working with WWE for six years and I’m not going anywhere." Jericho was "fired" in storyline this past Monday after a loss to WWE champion John Cena.

We'll have to see what comes of this, if anything, beyond Jericho driving traffic towards his official website. He'd easily be one of the top names in TNA if there's any legs to it, as opposed to Jericho trying to get some buzz going on the Internet. You can check out the Jericho/TNA graphic for yourself at www.ChrisJericho.com.

The fact of the matter that WWE doesnt believe Jericho can be a major player and a role in TNA from him wouldn't affect them in a competitive war should be enough ammo for Jericho to at least consider TNA. I think that it's pretty shitty of them to think that of him, as I feel he could be as much of a big time player as Hardy was planned to be in TNA and apparently WWE was concerned enough about Hardy bringing TNA to a new level of competitiveness that they scooped him back up.

Jericho can be a way bigger player than Hardy would have been. How long has Jericho been the most over guy in the WWE for? Sure, he was starting to lose a bit of heat lately, but he can easily win those fans back.

..Not that I'm saying I believe Jericho going to TNA would make them competitive with the WWE.

Holy shit is all i have to say. If it's just him or someone screwing around, that sucks, but it's still very interesting at this point.

Guest Coffey

Naw, I had the problem too. Then it loaded and the image was still there. His site is just extremely slow at the moment. I'm assuming that his bandwidth is being bombarded.

Nevertheless, this is big wrestling news. If nothing else, it gives us some speculative fodder to discuss.

Guest *KNK*

Jericho isn't the Chris Jericho of 2000 anymore. THAT Chris Jericho, WWE would be shitting itself if TNA had.

However, Chris Jericho 2005 is diluted name. Sure, people may go "jericho went to tna? hmm" but I don't think a influx of WWE viewers would flock to see him, beyond the hardcore Y2J fans, which hardly would make an impact for TNA.

Chris Jericho does offer slight credibility, more so then Jeff Jarrett and Raven, as credible main event names on their own accord.

Jericho has main evented WM (although the efforts from WWE to make it insignificant as possible did tarnish that value), Jericho was the first undisputed champion(something that is still "important" to say). He does have that large fanbase (but not large enough to seriously help TNA).

Jericho has nothing to really gain from going to TNA. He hasn't expressed much desire for the wrestling nature of the business in quite some time and appears to be more concerned with the "entertainment" aspect of it.

TNA would give him a few avenues to resume his thirst for wrestling but not in the entertainment nature, even though Jericho could presumably get alot of character control (not neccesarily creative control), Jericho knows the bottom line is that TNA is still unstable.

Jericho isn't a bottom feeder like Raven was, Jericho still has clout with WWE. Which is shown in the nature that even bother to use him on main event level semi-regularly.

Jericho really shouldn't and won't burn his bridges.

I don't think Jericho will leave for TNA either. Wouldn't surprise me to find out if this was just a test the waters stunt or Jericho already having too much time on his hands.

Even if Jericho were to land in TNA and bring some audience with him, how much of that audience is going to tune out the moment he is bested by Jeff Jarrett? No one, and I mean no one, wants to see Jericho jobbing to Jarrett in any way shape or form. And don't think for a second Jarrett would do "what's right for business" and put Jericho over. His ego is too far gone.

Jericho would be fresh in TNA, and the fans would take to him as a superstar. He was an entertaining midcard comedy guy in WCW, but few there took him seriously, yet the moment he walked out on Raw the fans treated him like a superstar, and they accepted him mixing with top guys like The Rock. Smart booking in TNA would see him be immediately accepted in the top mix there. Whether Jericho would want that is another question entirely.

Guest Coffey
Jericho isn't the Chris Jericho of 2000 anymore. THAT Chris Jericho, WWE would be shitting itself if TNA had.

However, Chris Jericho 2005 is diluted name.  Sure, people may go "jericho went to tna? hmm" but I don't think a influx of WWE viewers would flock to see him, beyond the hardcore Y2J fans, which hardly would make an impact for TNA.

I agree with that, however their first show on Spike TV having Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho & The Dudleyz might have some impact....

I totally agree he would make some kind of impact on the show. The question is how much of an impact will Jarrett and Co. let him have. I'm still not convinced they would book him correctly with the Jarretts still heavily involved with TNA.

Guest Coffey

I didn't think that the Jarretts were.

Nevertheless, you got your first topic for the radio show. :)