TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Chris Jericho to TNA?

Assuming the Jericho story is legit, then yeah, it's right up there with Vince and Bret shaking hands.

Just like Jericho putting an mock image of him and TNA's logo, playing off the storyline.

Jericho's returning only to WWE.

AGAIN though, I ask - if you think they are just playing into a storyline (and if this is a storyline, a very stupid one at that), why is Jericho (and I assume WWE) giving TNA free publicity by this? That argument just makes no sense, especially when you consider how really Jericho and WWE don't particularly care to cater to the IWC. If anything, like Porter said, it might be Jericho just getting a gauge of fan response if he WERE to go to TNA - just to see what fans would think about the possibility.

I'm I the only one who remembers Jericho doing stuff like this when he was leaving WCW to go to WWF....I think it's just Jericho having some fun seeing a net reaction

Guest Biggles

Some people don't think about a few key points.

1. Some people believe that Jericho will be able to tour with Fozzy because of TNA's schedule. Well, you guys, that doesn't mean TNA won't expand or travel. Look at ECW. There is no way TNA can survive unless they expand. We all know that they're saving money by doing shows at Universal, but once they get their tv, they need to travel. They need to do live shows to expand their audience. They can't just do TV from Orlando on a primetime Saturday night time slot and expect their demographic to expand. It's bad business. The way you get the people to come to you, is to go to them. It's that simple. If not, their market will dry up. This means the number of days will surely jump, and the carrot in Y2J's face that is the opprotunity to tour, will be removed if and when they expand. So it may be good for now, but what about in a year?

2. Without WWE, Fozzy wouldn't be as big as they are. I'm not saying their Velvet Revolver or anything, but they do get a hell of alot of publicity on WWE television. What happens when that outlet divides by over two thirds?

3. People expect to see "Lionheart" Chris Jericho. or at least how he was in WCW. That's fine to expect, but you need to be realistic. Jericho doesn't wrestle a cruiserweight style anymore. He wrestles to compete against other heavyweights. He's gonna be the same Chris Jericho we've seen for the past few years. Yes he'll have some better matches wrestling wise, but more or less he won't change.

4. Unless Chris Jericho comes on WWE TV and says, "I'm going to be leaving, and I'll be in TNA", he won't exactly take as many people as once thought with him. As much as we don't like to admit, most fans aren't on the internet trying to find out all the latest wrestling news. Most people will only think, hmmmm, Jericho's gone, and unless they come across him on TV, there's not a big chance alot of people would jump.

I think Jericho could deal with a bit of a pay-cut if he has the freedom he'd gain, at least until their TV deal got better. If TNA wanted to really stir up some talk, they'd buy ad time on Spike to air during WWE programming. If you had Jericho on there saying he's going to TNA, then yes, it'd bring other fans, but without a way to tell fans, other than the ones who watch already, you won't have much of that.

For Jericho it'd be a CHANCE to be a prime player in TNA, and a CHANCE to be key to their success, but in my opinion, he'd be better off in WWE for at least a little while longer.

Guest karlitoapple

Has anybody tried Emailing Dave Meltzer or some of the other reporters from the top news sites? I haven't seen any mention from them yet. It would be interesting to see what they would have to say about this.

The jury is obviously still out on this one. I'd love to weigh the pros and cons of Jericho in TNA, but only if we're actually sure he's coming. Personally, I'd love to see it happen, but at this stage it seems very unlikely.

Guest Brian

Well, I'm about ready to start watching TNA just because I'm dead tired of the WWE, so Jericho will cement that decision.

People expect to see "Lionheart" Chris Jericho. or at least how he was in WCW. That's fine to expect, but you need to be realistic. Jericho doesn't wrestle a cruiserweight style anymore. He wrestles to compete against other heavyweights. He's gonna be the same Chris Jericho we've seen for the past few years. Yes he'll have some better matches wrestling wise, but more or less he won't change.

I think you've mis-gauged what people are looking for. People are looking for a Jericho that was a little more witty and had some bite on the mic. They're looking for a Jericho that busts out more stuff, not necesarily cruiserweight offense. Jericho has in the past had a set of moves that were both heavyweight-oriented but still had more than the norm. Look back at his No Mercy match with Rock. Plus, he'll be working with a different set of workers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are guys like Christopher Daniels in the main event scene, right?

4. Unless Chris Jericho comes on WWE TV and says, "I'm going to be leaving, and I'll be in TNA", he won't exactly take as many people as once thought with him. As much as we don't like to admit, most fans aren't on the internet trying to find out all the latest wrestling news. Most people will only think, hmmmm, Jericho's gone, and unless they come across him on TV, there's not a big chance alot of people would jump.

Once they get on TV, different ballgame. In fact, different sport. People will be able to access him and they'll figure out what's going on if they want to.

Personally, I think Jericho is trying to play off TNA, rather than working the WWE or the fans. By gauging reaction, he can try to put down a value on what he's worth. He wants to see the value he brings... he knows what the WWE is going to offer... and he wants to get something very comparable out of TNA. I doubt Fozzy is going to be to adversely affected because the word is already out for the most part.

Guest Thrashist

Haha Jericho has to be seriously fucking around with that TNA image. Unless he is so financially secure and professionally miserable that he wants to create some noise in TNA in his free time, there is no way Jericho's dumb enough to risk his fate in the wrestling business over this.

It would be a disaster in the making anyway. The only way I could see Jericho in TNA hypothetically working is if Jericho rediscovers who he was in 97 and 98, and then not only does the company give him complete creative control, but he becomes the absolute centerpiece of the show world title-wise. But I just don't see all of that aligning and working, especially considering the dire shape TNA is financially. How long do they have a chance to survive anyway?

However, I must say...I'm a fairly dedicated wrestling fan who has watched nearly every Monday night for the past eight years and even I have not bothered with TNA yet. If Jericho signs with them, I'd be all over the TNA product.

But fact is, Jericho's just playing along with the firing and stirring up some interest in him before he returns in '06...hopefully.

There is no way to burn a bridge in the WWE. It just doesn't happen. If you can make Vince a dollar, he'll sign you. Jericho could burn the bridge, piss on the ashes and then spit out the remaining flames. If he can still make Vince a buck in the future, Vince would let him back in without the bat of an eyelash.

Only two men have killed bridges completely with Vince: Warrior and Macho Man.

If WWE will fire Dave & Earl Hebner for selling merchandise without authorization, Vince would have no problem shitcanning Jericho for being a WWE wrestler giving away free advertising to his #1 rival that he's never officially recognized in a public forum.

Guest Brian

If it means anything, and I'm sure to some it will, Jericho is no longer on the wwe.com superstar page. Of course, that could just as much be storyline.

It's painfully obvious to me that Jericho is simply trying to fuck with the internet fans....which I don't think would piss Vince off in the last bit.

It would be a disaster in the making anyway.  The only way I could see Jericho in TNA hypothetically working is if Jericho rediscovers who he was in 97 and 98, and then not only does the company give him complete creative control, but he becomes the absolute centerpiece of the show world title-wise.  But I just don't see all of that aligning and working, especially considering the dire shape TNA is financially.  How long do they have a chance to survive anyway?

Ummm they are going to start on Spike in October, I dont think they are going anywhere for quite some time. All of this talk of TNA being "unstable" at this point is unwarranted, since they now got a national TV deal, national DVD deal, etc.

And the fact that they're not paying for the timeslot on SpikeTV, unlike their FSN timeslot, adds a lot more to them sticking around.

Good points Red and S_D. I don't quite understand the knee-jerk TNA is unstable when the possibility of someone going there is brought up. This clearly not the same company it was a year ago....or even 6 months ago. They will clearly be closer to turning a profit with out having to burn $30K a week on TV, so that plus the additional revenue stream of the DVDs puts them in MUCH better shape IMO.

Anyway, here's a column from the Torch on Jericho. It's all speculation, but it's an interesting read...

Say It’s So, Jericho! Say It’s So!

Today’s column is going to be short but sweet. Unlike when Matt Hardy teased about signing TNA, and I weighed the pros and cons, establishing who needed him for what, and what the best move would be, I’m not going to be even handed with this one. The fact of the matter is that Chris Jericho would be a fool not to sign with TNA. TNA has the type of workers Jericho can put on his best matches with. TNA has the schedule that will allow Jericho to elongate his career and continue to work on his other projects, like Fozzy. But perhaps most importantly, TNA needs Jericho much more than WWE does, and that puts Jericho in a very strong position within the company.

The Roster The TNA roster is shaping up quite nicely. With Samoa Joe already rekindling the fire in the X Division, and workers the like of A.J. Style, Alex Shelley, Austin Aries, Christopher Daniels, and Petey Williams already gracing the division, Jericho would be set to put on some of the best matches of his career inside the eight sided. The X Division isn’t all there is for Jericho to work with, however. TNA’s Main Event roster would also benefit greatly from Jericho ability to work and put over other wrestlers of all sizes. The likes of Jeff Jarrett, Monty Brown, Abyss, and Ron Killings would greatly benefit from a ring general like Jericho working their main event matches. Furthermore, Jericho would be show off his skills in the main event setting as well. And I’m not just talking about what you see on Raw, I’m also talking about all those moves he’s tucked away, deemed too dangerous or complicated by WWE. What we would get with Jericho in TNA is simply put, a Renaissance with the heart of a lion.

The Schedule The current TNA business model has been attractive to many wrestlers in the industry. On the Ultimate Insiders DVD volume 5, Jeff Hardy talks about how wrestling once or twice a week is the perfect amount for a wrestler. They can go out, give the match their all, and know that they won’t be too bruised or banged up to go out and do it again next week. Frankly, I think the fact that TNA doesn’t force their wrestlers to travel around 300 days a year, breaking their backs for their wage is the biggest thing they’ve got going for them. It allows wrestlers to work their best and most daring styles, without wearing down their bodies. Chris Jericho is old enough now that he needs to think about the schedule he takes, and the wear he puts on his body. It’s become clear that Jericho has grown weary of the WWE game. The TNA schedule is just the type of pace that a wrestler in his 30’s needs to prolong his wrestling career, and give adequate time to his music career as well. Frankly, I can’t think of a better scheduling situation for Jericho.

Big Man on Campus Chris Jericho is about as major as name in the wrestling world as TNA can get it’s hands on. The only bigger among currently working talent are probably Triple H and Sean Michaels. The chances of them going to TNA are about as good as the chances of Vince McMahon winning a presidential election. By going to TNA, Jericho ensures himself a high salary, a strong amount of control over his character, and a good bargaining position with TNA management. The fact of the matter is that Jericho is already a well off individual, and does not need TNA more than they need him. He’s in a perfect position to be a main event player both in the ring and backstage. Control is something Jericho has wanted ever since he walked away from WCW. He might finally get it with TNA.

There you have it: three reasons why Chris Jericho would be a fool not to sign with TNA. And here’s one more bonus argument. Chris Jericho has already posted the image of himself in front of the TNA logo. If this just another tease, another manipulation of the fans by a talent that plans fully to return to WWE television, then Jericho has a lot to lose. As much as Hardy was loved by the “smart” wrestling fan, Jericho is so threefold. If he returns to WWE, and loses all of his heat with the fans, hold long do we suppose it would be before he’s jobbing himself into oblivion as well? Don’t toy with us, Jericho. Say it’s so. Say it’s so.

Do you want to see Chris Jericho go to TNA, or return to WWE? Your responses can be sent here.

Well whatever it was, the image no longer exist on the site and unless you saved it...it's gone.

As far as I'm concerned, Jericho is retired for his family and band with possible indy dates just for the hell of it here and there. Be nice to see him in TNA but I'm not even bothering to get my hopes low, right now I'll leave them at no hope.

Guest Fishyswa

Jesus christ, this guy was supposedly damaged goods in WWE now he's gonna bring upon a TNA renaissance? Please, he'd be in a program with Jarret right away, and after the first pin he gives him no one will take him seriously afterwards. It's why no one gives a shit about Rhino.

"especially when you consider how really Jericho and WWE don't particularly care to cater to the IWC."

Yeah because over the last year the WWE has done nothing based of the IWC. They don't even differentiate anymore, as far as they see it, there fans have the internet, and they must work aware of that fact.

I think it's funny that you guys act content with TNA and once a "big name" is rumored to be joining you guys are all "finally!!!!". What is it, are they good enough to contend with what they have or not? The reaction given to hints about possible new signings makes me think those who say they can don't even believe it.

Umm Rhino never got pinned by Jarrett and I'm so sick of the argument that if someone new comes in, they get jobbed out by Jarrett and thats that. It's already been explained why that is likely NOT to happen anymore after the Carters allowed the Jarrett experiment to continue for a certain amount of time and have now all but virtually given up on Jeff. While Rhino's intial appearance in TNA, aligned with Jarrett, was weak, to their credit they have put him over Raven in that tag match on the last ppv and made him a very viable world title contender. So much he's getting pops versus heel heat.

Being "content" wit the way TNA is now is not the same as being a contender to WWE. Right now they can't be a contender without being on national TV clearance, but with or without a guy like Jericho, the heat is going to be on come Oct 1.

So basically TNA is doing a good job right now just fine, but they need to keep on that momentum with signing up some significant names in a dire time in their company history. Guys like the Dudleys, Jericho, etc, would all add to an already viable and different product compared to WWE, IMO.

Guest Fishyswa

"Umm Rhino never got pinned by Jarrett and I'm so sick of the argument that if someone new comes in, they get jobbed out by Jarrett and thats that. It's already been explained why that is likely NOT to happen anymore after the Carters allowed the Jarrett experiment to continue for a certain amount of time and have now all but virtually given up on Jeff. While Rhino's intial appearance in TNA, aligned with Jarrett, was weak, to their credit they have put him over Raven in that tag match on the last ppv and made him a very viable world title contender. So much he's getting pops versus heel heat."

Rhino's the biggest name they've signed, the first thing they do with him is align him with Jarret. It's pretty clear the "jeff-centric" booking that's killed them isn't going anywhere.

The pin is irrelevant. He was a lackey, a lackey is below the person he's trying to help, otherwise they'd be on there own. If he beats Raven, and Jarret's above him, that makes Jarret better than Raven. Do the math. Putting him with Jarret was the stupidest thing they could of done. He would of been more protected as Sharkboy's new tag partener.

"Being "content" wit the way TNA is now is not the same as being a contender to WWE. Right now they can't be a contender without being on national TV clearance, but with or without a guy like Jericho, the heat is going to be on come Oct 1."

This is what I don't understand. 'All they need is a TV slot'. In what world? Are they gonna be showing someone else's product in that slot? A TV slot isn't the be all end all of a product, it's the product and how it's received. TNA hasn't been on a level to contend and they don't seem to be headed to that level either. So why all the hope for the TV slot? If they keep fucking up, it's just gonna be shown to more people. That's a bad thing.

"So basically TNA is doing a good job right now just fine, but they need to keep on that momentum with signing up some significant names in a dire time in their company history."

If they can't do anything competent with them, why does it matter? These names are completely dependent on how they are used. If every name coming through the door is gonna be paired up with Jarret in some way so he can benefit, it's over, those names are worthless.

"Guys like the Dudleys, Jericho, etc, would all add to an already viable and different product compared to WWE, IMO."

Anything that's not WWE is a different product compared to the WWE. That says nothing. What reason is there to believe TNA will handle the names they do get well enough for them to matter?

I probably hate Jarrett just as much if not more than this guy, but even I have to admit that its really not THAT bad. Jericho coming to TNA would be a H-U-G-E benefit to them, and I doubt that anyone (besides Jeff and Jerry, of course) would want to use Jericho to try getting Jarrett over some more. Jericho's too big a star for that shit.

The days of Jarrett running the show are definitely over, but since they can't outright get rid of him, the next best option is to use what little he can offer. Yes, JJ is still being portrayed as a main eventer, something he obviously is not. But at least now he's not the dominant Superman he used to book himself as. Right now, they're working towards Raven/Jarrett II, and unless something drastic happens, Jarrett will lose and possibly take a leave of absence. Right now JJ is being used as an enhancement guy, which is exactly what he is.

Rhino's the biggest name they've signed, the first thing they do with him is align him with Jarret. It's pretty clear the "jeff-centric" booking that's killed them isn't going anywhere.

The pin is irrelevant. He was a lackey, a lackey is below the person he's trying to help, otherwise they'd be on there own. If he beats Raven, and Jarret's above him, that makes Jarret better than Raven. Do the math. Putting him with Jarret was the stupidest thing they could of done. He would of been more protected as Sharkboy's new tag partener.

------

This is what I don't understand. 'All they need is a TV slot'. In what world? Are they gonna be showing someone else's product in that slot? A TV slot isn't the be all end all of a product, it's the product and how it's received. TNA hasn't been on a level to contend and they don't seem to be headed to that level either. So why all the hope for the TV slot? If they keep fucking up, it's just gonna be shown to more people. That's a bad thing.

----

If they can't do anything competent with them, why does it matter? These names are completely dependent on how they are used. If every name coming through the door is gonna be paired up with Jarret in some way so he can benefit, it's over, those names are worthless.

---

Anything that's not WWE is a different product compared to the WWE. That says nothing. What reason is there to believe TNA will handle the names they do get well enough for them to matter?

Dude, seriously get off your own blindness about the Jarrett thing. If you have followed the product at all lately, you'd see Rhino isnt even associated with Jarrett anymore. So they saw putting Rhino with Jarrett was a bad move, they changed it up and actually even created some heat between Rhino and Jarrett at the last ppv in an interview and during the post-match. Not that I expect a feud between them but they're booking it now that Rhino is his own man.

Furthermore, how many times do I have to say it. Jarrett isnt even a focal point of the company at all anymore. If you would say this stuff 6 months ago I would completely agree with you but the landscape of the company is going in a completely different direction now and has been doing so since May. So just flat out assuming that once a new guys comes in, they are either going to be paired off or jobbing to Jarrett, you are just showing a lack of understanding of the full spectrum of the product currently.

Again, if you have watched the product consistently lately, I think you'd see its a very viable product and a clear competitive alternative to WWE WHEN they get on a national TV outlet and other avenues of national recognition appear, such as the DVD deal, possible cross promotion on UFC shows, etc. They have a booking team that 9 out of 10 segments or matches, know what the fuck they are doing. This was not the case clearly when Rhodes, Jarrett, Mantel, etc was under the book.

Guest Brian
--Chris Jericho caused a lot of commotion yesterday. There was a graphic of him under a TNA banner on his web site (www.chrisjericho.com), which has since been taken down. I don't know anything officially other than the general belief was he was just playing with everyone, but that could be wrong. The only thing I know is as of Tuesday he had no plans to do any pro wrestling anywhere nor work for anyone but WWE when he came back, and that TNA would love to have him if it was possible.

Guest Reservoir_Kitty

Ugh. I'm torn here, really. I'd love to see Jericho be able to use his full potential in TNA, but then again, I'd be really sad if he left WWE forever. I'm already missing one of my big reasons to watch RAW now since he's gone, and if he's gone for good, I just don't know that I could keep watching.

TNA would be beneficial to Jericho, but aside from the graphic, things point to him wanting to stay loyal to WWE. Who knows? I think (or maybe am just hoping) that Jericho's just pulling a fast one on the IWC.