TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Green Day clean up at the Kerrang awards

I didn't know little girls sounded like screeching bats...

Funny, because the first time I heard Cradle of Filth I couldn't stand it because of Dani's voice. It grew on me a little bit.

And hey, you can hate CoF all you want...but at least they're better than At the Drive-In.

And hey, you can hate CoF all you want...but at least they're better than At the Drive-In.

Uh...

It's a joke that I knew nobody would get but said anyway.

My friend Kurt was in a parody emo band called Chadmeister, and the one album they recorded (well, by "they" I mean him and his older sister Jess) was called Hey, At Least We're Better Than At The Drive-In.

Nice to see Bullet For My Valentine win best British newcomer, although I can't imagine much competition. Saw them support FFAF last month and they were AWESOME. The first album proper is going to be immense

Green Day was tolerable until they started co-opting emo fashion and trying to be political; that's what made them so reprehensible. Now he's like Bono in eyeliner. Go fuck yourself

Blah, blah, blah.

On the entire new album there are two or three bits that are political.

And if you're so close minded that you dislike a band when they change their wardrobe, which has no impact on their music, you're even more moronic than I thought.

They're a pop band. Image matters. In this case, they're 30something-year-old men, dressing like high school sophomores. It was okay when they were 20something-year-old men dressing as high schoolers ten years ago, but I think the visual overhaul of Green Day is pretty ridiculous.

But you'd think with how well the album was received by both the audience and critics that image WOULDN'T matter. Sure, in any style of music image will ALWAYS matter, because I wouldn't expect a black metal band to wear flannel, but if you're going to go for an image...why not use an image that might change how people look at you instead of opting for "middle-aged men dressing like 15-year-old boys"?

if you're going to go for an image...why not use an image that might change how people look at you instead of opting for "middle-aged men dressing like 15-year-old boys"?

That was my point, wasn't it? I mean, there's a definite clash between trying to become more relevant and mature, and then wearing makeup like a depressed teenage suburbanite. Even just a freakin' t-shirt and jeans would be permissible, instead of borrowing the ridiculous emo fashion.

I'll give em this, they have barely aged as a unit in ten years, so if anyone deserves to dress like emo kids, it's them. Far less unsettling than British skate metal also-rans A, still singing songs with titles like 'sk8 party rockers' well into their thirties. And feeder's current (living) drummer, who has greying temples under his atticus trucker hat. Kill yourselves.

Actually, the new A material is far more mature than previous works, and are much better for it. They've even abandonned the teen-punk image. Plus the bass player has formed an excellent side project called the Lucky Nine with members of Hundred Reason and Sunna, who owe far more to the likes of Fugazi or Refused than his "I Love Lake Tahoe" day job

Shit, "Dookie" is their best album.  It was funny and honest and had catchy, inoffensive (well, musically anyway) tunes throughout the CD.  There are really no bad cuts on the whole thing, and it doesn't matter anyway because they blitz through the whole CD in like 35 minutes.

Every kid in high school can relate to bitchy girlfriends, being bored and horny, wanting to blow shit up, get in fights, and get burned out and wander the streets.

Yeah, Dookie was great, but I'd have to say that Nimrod was their best, well written and great song variety.

American Idiot really isn't that good. But it's still better than almost any pop music today, so I guess that's why it won awards.

Guest Samantha

Hell no, At The Drive-In blow CoF out of the water. I'd rather rip my fingernails out very slowly than listen to Dani Filth 'singing', it would be less painful.

At The Drive-In might just be one of the worst bands I've ever heard. I can't stand the music, I can't stand the vocals, and I hate the lyrics. At least CoF used to write some good music for Dani to hock a lugie over, stuff that was not only aggressive and heavy but, at times, ambient and lovely from certain perspectives. And I usually hate black metal, especially "unblack" black metal like CoF and Dimmu.

To me, American Idiot is like: awww, how cute! Green Day's trying to be the Dead Kennedies! I don't think the album's very good at all, and I generally like Green Day.

Hell, Sleater-Kinney came out with 'One Beat', a pop-punky Bush bashing album, two years before AI, and it just kicks the shit out of AI.

You know what? Green Day used to be able to write hooks, too. The guitar on AI is the same old THWBWAT THWBWAT THWBWAT three-chord trash that they had already grown out of by Dookie.

I still want my "album made to bash Warren Harding" CD by some music group. I nominate the Foo Fighters, it's not like they are doing much right now anyway. Dave seems like the perfect guy to make a "fuck you Harding!" album about how crappy a President he was.

Or Tool. Tool or The Foo Fighters.

One of those two could do it justice.

To me, American Idiot is like: awww, how cute! Green Day's trying to be the Dead Kennedies! I don't think the album's very good at all, and I generally like Green Day.

Hell, Sleater-Kinney came out with 'One Beat', a pop-punky Bush bashing album, two years before AI, and it just kicks the shit out of AI.

You know what? Green Day used to be able to write hooks, too. The guitar on AI is the same old THWBWAT THWBWAT THWBWAT three-chord trash that they had already grown out of by Dookie.

I saw the video for that When September Ends song this morning, flipping channels. TRIPE.

My favorite part was "bbbwahhhow could you DO this to meeeeeeeee???"

I'd say CoF sells more shirts since they're more well known. I can only think of one song by ATDI ("One-Armed Scissor") and it's pretty bad. Not that I really enjoy CoF either. The girlfriend likes them, but I usually ignore it.

Guest Samantha

At The Drive-In split after one album and have been mostly forgotten about so COF would probably sell more merchandise.

Doesn't make them better though.