TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Coming Soon to a Home Theatre Near You!

Yahoo Article

LOS ANGELES - Someday the phrase "Coming soon to a theater near you" could be replaced with "Coming soon to a Wal-Mart near you." The tradition of major films debuting first in theaters, then across staggered release "windows," including pay-per-view, home video, cable and, finally, broadcast TV, is being openly questioned.

Basically, it seems as if the movie studios, who see releasing movies theatrically as promotion for a movie's DVD release a couple months later, as not the most efficient way of doing things anymore. They want to release movies to theatres and DVD at the same time. I have to agree with the theatre chains though and say that it doesn't make any sense from their standpoint as they could be put out of business, but the theatre chains can only blame themselves for anything that happens..

Honestly, if I had the choice of plunking down $10 per person to go see a movie vs maybe $20 for the DVD, Id watch the DVD before I'd go to a theatre. The whole "theatre experience" has been pretty much ruined, between people who talk on cell phones, commercials before movies, the price of the ticket and concessions and crappy picture quality. Id rather pay the bit extra to watch and own the DVD (or even rent it cheaper). Considering thats what I do now, it probably wont be much of a difference, but I know there are still a lot of people who go to the theatres every weekend who might choose the DVD over going to a theatre..

Guest Retro Rob

As far as the studios go though, lets say you and four friends wanted to see Wedding Crashers, so between the group you plop down $50 for tickets. With the DVD out, only one person has to spend $20, and the other four people can all benefit by watching it for free.

If this actually happens, I see the price of DVDs going up considerably, to make up for all the people who won't go see it at theaters.

Not good.