TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Intestine

OAO Smackdown! Thread

I don't buy the "too short" argument. Look at Taz in '97...shorter than most cruisers and people bought that the guy was tough. It's the build up and execution that matters.

Dames

If you're going to run a Rey/Eddie cage match next week, most likely using it to blow off the feud, why would you want to job Rey the week before the match? Eddie's on a losing streak, and now Rey lost going into the match.

If you're going to run a Rey/Eddie cage match next week, most likely using it to blow off the feud, why would you want to job Rey the week before the match?  Eddie's on a losing streak, and now Rey lost going into the match.

WWE figures out ways to book themselves in a corner consistently.

Not to mention it but Rey jobbing to Orton makes Eddie look like an even bigger jobber, since Orton took ONE try to beat Rey while Eddie has had 7 at least.

But yeah, he's winning next week...and it has to be a vicious, convincing win.

No one has really mentioned it but what is up with pushing Orton so hard? I mean I know in theory why they are doing it, but it's like they are just acting like the whole period from last Sept. to April never happened. Sorry, but Orton has zero heat now. He just has this "yesterday's news" vibe about him of a guy who had his shot at the main event and tanked. I'll admit having Ace around is amusing in a Chavo Classic sort of way, but I hardly would have paid to see Chavo main event with his dad in his corner.

Guest *KNK*

What's amazing and sad at the same time is that Orton has more legitimate claim to be the #1 contender after defeating Undertaker, Holly and Mysterio the last month and yet Eddy who jobbed constantly the last 6 months is going to suddenly get a title shot.

At least with Jericho they played off his past as "undisputed" champion and made a slight attempt to make him credible again, I just don't see Eddy being brought as a legit "challenger".

Clearly they have their eyes set for Orton/Batista for WMXXII, with the exception of Brock Lesnar, is the only realistic and credible heel challenger for Batista at the moment.

Unless someone has a rise similar to Batista last year, I can't forsee anyone else honestly fitting that puzzle piece. Benoit could turn heel but that just wouldn't serve much good.

Undertaker/Batista wouldn't be bad for a smaller ppv like Armageddon or maybe even the Rumble but not Mania.

Orton, amazingly is Smackdown's #1 heel and no one buys him or cares about him.

Almost the same identical state he was in last winter.

Vince realized Lex Luger was a bust after a year, why hasn't the last 18 months shown Vince that Orton was a bust as well?

You know, I have a strong feeling that next week Orlando Jordan will figure out how to avoid the Crossface and he and Benoit will have a fairly decent 5-6 minute match with Benoit winning.

Guest *KNK*
You know, I have a strong feeling that next week Orlando Jordan will figure out how to avoid the Crossface and he and Benoit will have a fairly decent 5-6 minute match with Benoit winning.

I have a feeling Benoit gets so cocky doing the cross-face that Jordan quickly counters it into a pin and beats Benoit's time...

They should, however have Benoit and someone(I propose Regal or Holly) wrestle a 15 minute match and Benoit wins and Jordan challenges him to ONE LAST MATCH, right now and Benoit still beats him in 20 seconds. Just to really bury Jordan for good.

Guest *KNK*
There is no need for this burial of Jordan.

Why not? Why does everything have to be so damn *balanced* in professional wrestling.

I like the idea of Jordan just getting his ass owned by Benoit constantly.

A few comments on tonight...

1. REALLY digging the Kennedy character. Definitely my new favourite. I hope they don't drop the ball on this guy.

2. wtf is Sylvain Grenier doing now? First Conway becomes Bagwell '05, and now this?

3. Imagining Orton turn to his dad and saying "You know what...you're a legend...", then busting him with an RKO was all I could think about during his Undertaker speech.

4. I like muffins. Blueberry.

Edit: 5. And Benoit is doing well in doing these "what can I do in 25 seconds" promos - I wonder where they're going though...

Thought I'd share :cheers:

OK so I've gotten a chance to watch Burchill and I must say, they certainly WWEitized him. He lost a little off his middle, grew a beard and his hair, and lost most of his moves. I liked him better when he was a slightly pudgy yet scary looking dude with a buzzcut.

Granted, I've never seen a full match of his from England, but the videos showed a standing Shooting Star, a double belly to belly suplex, and a backflip Rock Bottom. So what do they make his finisher? Why, an armbar of course! I couldn't tell though, was it an ARMbar, or an armBAR? Hard to tell between the two.

I still say, let him bust out the C4 and he'd get over with the audience. So of course I doubt you'll ever see it. He'll get an initial push, it'll stall since he won't be able to do anything besides generic punch-kick offense, get demoted back to Velocity, then shipped back to OVW or England because he "wasn't ready".

Guest *KNK*

Lou Thesz, Harley Race, Gene Kiniski, Ric Flair, Terry Funk, Sting, Buff Bagwell, Kerry Von Erich, Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes...

It used to mean something.

Now that Bob Holly and Sylvan Grenier are feuding, my life is complete.

Granted, I've never seen a full match of his from England, but the videos showed a standing Shooting Star, a double belly to belly suplex, and a backflip Rock Bottom. So what do they make his finisher? Why, an armbar of course! I couldn't tell though, was it an ARMbar, or an armBAR? Hard to tell between the two.

The fujiwara armbar is as credible as anything else and the shoulderbreaker to set it up was decent enough. Yes, it was just an armbar, but Burchill and Scotty each did their job in making it look like death.

Yeah, I wish Burchill would have done something like in the videos, and he'll eventually need something besides the fujiwara eventually, but it's not like it's completely ridiculous like a legdrop, elbow or full nelson. The real test for Burchill in seeing whether he's truly neutered is still to come when he gets a singles match.

Either way, the match was shot once fucking Funaki began throwing Burchill around and getting the better of him.

And Simon Dean is awesome. Great expressions and facials, nice mic work, and there are a lot of little things he does that makes the gimmick work. It's cheesy, which is about the only criticism that holds water. There's just no place for any version of Nova at this time, especially Hollywood due to the relevancy of the gimmick, and it's not like Bucci would be treated any better if he were to go out as Nova.

About the only thing the bWo could be used for is to shore up the tag division, and if WWE really wanted to, they could just pair up Richards and Dean and comedy heels.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen the Fujiwara Armbar and it's a credible finisher. Unfortunately, it's credible in Japan. Here, the armbar is a resthold or transition move, not a finisher. Vince spent so long building up the idea that most finishers are flashy moves particular to one wrestler (except in Hogan's case, seeing as how he's never had the most imaginitive moveset) that something like an armbar elicits little more than a yawn from the mark crowd. He needs something flashier is all I'm saying.

Is it just me or is Randy Orton really changing and showing potential? His speech was flawless this time and he really made his point. He has been putting on great matches the last couple of weeks and you can't say they all carried him because face it Orton is getting much better in the ring.

OK so I've gotten a chance to watch Burchill and I must say, they certainly WWEitized him.  He lost a little off his middle, grew a beard and his hair, and lost most of his moves.  I liked him better when he was a slightly pudgy yet scary looking dude with a buzzcut.

Granted, I've never seen a full match of his from England, but the videos showed a standing Shooting Star, a double belly to belly suplex, and a backflip Rock Bottom.  So what do they make his finisher?  Why, an armbar of course!  I couldn't tell though, was it an ARMbar, or an armBAR?  Hard to tell between the two.

I still say, let him bust out the C4 and he'd get over with the audience.  So of course I doubt you'll ever see it.  He'll get an initial push, it'll stall since he won't be able to do anything besides generic punch-kick offense, get demoted back to Velocity, then shipped back to OVW or England because he "wasn't ready".

See what I told everyone?

Re: Orton

When you have to have your dad help you beat guys after you've been World Champion, it's time to call it a career. If anyone still thinks he's worthy of ME status, then wrestling is worse off than I ever thought.

And as it's been stated before, having Birchill sell for Funaki was just wrong on so many levels.

Lol that was great by Ken Kennedy, I just saw the match. "Now can you dig THAT.....SSSSUCCKAAAAAAAA!" And Booker T hits him, it was hilarious to me. And Kennedy won which means they are high on Kennedy. It's not like Booker T had millions of people interfering, no he got distracted so KK hit him with his finisher and he won so he put KK over as well.

Orton really does have more of a claim on the #1 contender spot right now. And no he can't turn on his dad and RKO him since Ace is giving him what little heat and credibility he has! Think about that one for a minute.

Orton losing to HHH last Sept. and the way he was subsequently portrayed did irrepairable damage to his career. He was booked like such a tool, such a loser that nobody will ever care about him again. They better hope Lesnar does come back because Orton/Batista won't draw a dime, while Batista/Lesnar certainly would.