TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

Dusty Rhodes signs with WWE

Well, it's official now.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/dustyback

WWE.com: What specifically is the contract for?

Dusty Rhodes: One word: Creative.

WWE.com: What do you see your role as now that you’ve taken this step?

Dusty Rhodes: I think it’s just opportunity to continue what I’ve really enjoyed doing since 1974, and that’s create exciting scenarios. Being able to work with a group of young kids and some veterans to give my opinion on some stuff and my ideas, I think that is exciting too.

snoopsmh.gif

Guest rawmvp

Well, at least one positive might come out of this: WARGAMES -- THE MATCH BEYOND at this year's Survivor Series.

Guest *KNK*
Well, at least one positive might come out of this: WARGAMES -- THE MATCH BEYOND at this year's Survivor Series.

War Games aren't Dusty Rhodes exclusive.

Triple H wanted to do WARGAMES and Vince refused to.

Hoping for a WARGAMES is a lost cause.

Now, I'm not saying that Rhodes = WARGAMES, but since he did come up with the idea, HHH has another ally in terms of getting WARGAMES on WWE TV.

Dames

Dusty: "And then Batista puts Bradshaws head in a bongo drum and starts to play it like Andy Kaufman!"

Writer (taking notes): "Mmm hmm. Mmm hmm. Ah. How do you spell "Belly Welly" is that with a "y" or an "ie"?

Dusty: Um...

Writer: And how about we have Batista talk in a strange language! We can call him Batiska and maybe we can bring Tony Danza in! Oooh this is a great one you came up with Dust. Can I call you Dust?

Dusty: Uh, yeah. Right. Good.

Writer *in close, whispering*: I've always wanted to know since I've worked here... what is a Dusty Finish? It involves a hand-job, right?

*Dusty's head explodes*

YETH BABAY!!! Thingth could not be betta, hopefully he will try to get on the smackdown announcing team and get funky like a monkey

Dusty: "And then Batista puts Bradshaws head in a bongo drum and starts to play it like Andy Kaufman!"

Writer (taking notes): "Mmm hmm.  Mmm hmm. Ah.  How do you spell "Belly Welly" is that with a "y" or an "ie"?

Dusty: Um...

Writer: And how about we have Batista talk in a strange language!  We can call him Batiska and maybe we can bring Tony Danza in!  Oooh this is a great one you came up with Dust.  Can I call you Dust?

Dusty: Uh, yeah.  Right.  Good.

Writer *in close, whispering*: I've always wanted to know since I've worked here... what is a Dusty Finish?  It involves a hand-job, right?

*Dusty's head explodes*

I'd pay good money to see that..

So when will Goldust return to WWE?

Not soon enough.

I don't know why Vince doesn't do War Games. Yeah, I mean, I DO know why, cause he didn't come up with the idea, but c'mon, it's money in the bank. I haven't paid for a live WWE PPV in YEARS, but I'd pay the 35 bucks for any one that features War Games as its main event.

Guest *KNK*
So when will Goldust return to WWE?

Not soon enough.

I don't know why Vince doesn't do War Games. Yeah, I mean, I DO know why, cause he didn't come up with the idea, but c'mon, it's money in the bank. I haven't paid for a live WWE PPV in YEARS, but I'd pay the 35 bucks for any one that features War Games as its main event.

I wouldn't expect WWE to pull WARGAMES off correctly anyways.

Although Flair, Anderson, Animal, Steamboat, Austin, Hayes, Rhodes (War Game vets who could offer suggestions for the match)* are under contract, they would still include Chris Masters, Jordan, Snitsky and Carlito in this match.

*I wasn't counting Bookers, Benoit, Melenko and Hogan's stints in WarGames because those werent the true WarGames.

PWInsider.com reports that Dusty Rhodes has been tapped to replace Dave Lagana on the SmackDown! creative team. Lagana will be moving to a more glamorous position in Shane McMahon's New Media division.

Lagana will spend the next two months helping Rhodes prepare to assume the position. He will also stay on as a consultant for the writing team, as WWE officials are very high on his creative ability.

Now a WWE employee, the belief is that Dusty Rhodes will almost certainly be part of the 2006 class of WWE Hall Of Fame inductees.

credit: lop

Dusty>>>>>>>>Dave Lagana

Not sure what to think about this. On one hand, Smackdown, other than decent run mid-summer, has not been anything too extremely impressive and Lagana certainly hasn't created a solid booking resume so far. Nothing extremely interesting ever happens on the show, or at best (and this might be more of McMahon influence) but for quite some time now it is clearly a B level show v. a different plateau in overall presentation and more general coherant booking for Raw. So it might be a good move to try someone new as heading creative there.

On the other hand, its Dusty Rhodes here and just another example of how the WWE doesnt seem to learn from mistakes - I mean how many chances does Rhodes get in his life to book, and now at this point in his life he gets a WWE booking gig? Huh?!! Rhodes really didn't accomplish anything groundbreaking in TNA, why will it change now? They'd be much better bringing back Heyman or, hell, even an old worker like Jake Roberts or Ted DiBiase running a significant part of the booking would probably be a better idea at this point. The timing of this is certainly, well interesting I guess, considering they are on the verge of the Friday night move.

I know a change is in order for Smackdown, but this just doesnt seem like the answer. Wonder if the McMahons will allow Rhodes a little room to play around with the storylines sooner than later. With that said, I expect a JBL title run again here pretty soon, I have a feeling Rhodes is going to be high on him.

So no more two wins a year for Flair?

Guest *KNK*
So no more two wins a year for Flair?

Flair is still best friends with the boss's son-in-law and his idol.

That's about as good as an saftey net you can have.

Guest *KNK*
He probably won't get much say in anything anyways.

If he gets Goldust back in, I'm happy.

I love Goldust and Rhodes was really motivated during his last run but I don't think bringing back Goldust would do any good.

Also, why is it that aside from "The Natural" days in early 90's in WCW, Rhodes can't work as Dustin Rhodes but only as Goldust.

He was kicking ass as Goldust in the ring as he was getting shoved out and he shows up in TNA back to being horrid in the ring.

Guest MikeSC

Why did the WWE cut him, anyway? He was over, in spite of his idiotic Tourette's gimmick.

The tourettes gimmick was idiotic. They were just trying to have a reason to get rid of him. He was entertaining during the whole NWO/Booker T angle. I think he was at his best when he first came in though. If they would have booked it right his promos on "The rising star" against RVD could have set up a great feud. Instead he came in and beat him in a hardcore match or something didn't he? Then he just became a comedy character. (Which I enjoyed him as)

Guest Biggles

Can we all just judge him after he's actually contributed towards Smackdown? I've read posters all around the IWC slate Rhodes and to be honest Im outstanded by the negativity of everyone. Incase we hadnt all noticed, the show has been of very poor quality for the most part of this year so something needed to be done. His track record may not be the best but this negativity of the IWC has to stop. I could just about put up with negative comments about the guy if he had performed badly for the WWE 6 months down the line, but before he's even had any input? Lets judge him by his results, and give the guy a chance. He may not have done a good job with TNA but he has been a good booker in the past and Im sure he can offer some ideas to Stephanie and the rest of the creative team on Smackdown.

Because Dusty has a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE track record. He booked TNA into an incoherent mess (more so than when Russo and Jerry Jarrett were fighting over what should happen on the show). He booked the NWA into being filled with heatless feuds thanks to his trademark DUSTY FINISHES. Why should now be any different when just earlier this year was the TNA run?

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Thank god the bull rope match was declared prior to Dusty coming in otherwise we'd have 25 posts complaining that Dusty is good for nothing but Hokey 80's gimmick matches

Guest Biggles

Ok but I again I must retort, you have to judge him by what he does for the WWE, not for what the guy done for TNA. He has done good things in the past or the WWE would have never hired the guy. He had alot more control for TNA whereas the WWE is a far more organised ship. If he doesnt contribute anything or only offers poor ideas and storylines then he'll be out. The WWE wont run with them because everything would have to go through Steph and Vince. He will be used to offer and suggest creative ideas, which I can only see as a positive thing. Of course I'd much rather Heyman, but Vince had issues with the guy so we have to accept that.

Like I said before, I can accept the negativity if he does a poor job for the WWE, but if he revitilises a struggling product then he would have done his job.

Give the guy a chance!

Well, I really doubt Vince, Steph, etc. will let Dusty run wild with the Dusty Finish. I also doubt that Dusty will be able to just put the world title on whoever he wants One Dusty Finish a year could be exciting (a la HHH/Jericho in 2000) but not a dozen.

Dusty could help out some younger guys in the promo area if nothing else. At least Dusty is an experienced wrestling booker and not a friggin soap opera writer. Sure he ran the NWA into the ground with the Dusty Finish and Flair vendetta, but on Smackdown most of that stuff won't come into play.

Because Dusty has a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE track record. He booked TNA into an incoherent mess (more so than when Russo and Jerry Jarrett were fighting over what should happen on the show). He booked the NWA into being filled with heatless feuds thanks to his trademark DUSTY FINISHES. Why should now be any different when just earlier this year was the TNA run?

While I agree that Rhodes is a pretty terrible booker, I think in the current WWE climate, he may actually be an improvement. Which is scary.

As for Goldust maybe coming back, I'm all for it.

You've read the DVD thread. And it's true - Dustin Rhodes is better than HHH. Yes. Yes, he is.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

If Rick Steiner beats Batista in under 5 mins next week then we'll blame Dusty