TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Marvel = WWE

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pr...0906&ID=5087291

Highlights:

"NEW YORK (AP) - Comic book publisher Marvel Enterprises Inc. on Tuesday said it completed a new $525 million debt facility to independently finance a slate of films based on its characters."

-

"Marvel said it will use the seven-year, $525 million nonrecourse debt facility to finance up to 10 films based on characters such as Captain America, Nick Fury and the Avengers. The credit line, which was arranged by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Inc., includes $465 million in revolving senior bank debt and $60 million in mezzanine debt."

-

"Marvel said the 10 characters in the arrangement are Captain America, The Avengers, Nick Fury, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Cloak & Dagger, Dr. Strange, Hawkeye, Power Pack, and Shang-Chi. Each film is expected to have a budget of up to $165 million dollars and a rating no more restrictive than PG-13. Although the financing allows for the production of animated films, Marvel currently intends to use the funds to make only live-action films."

This either is going to be a boon or it will blow up in their face.

Let the betting begin.

Just get Robert Rodriguez to direct it.

I want to see a movie from this studio before I dismiss this deal as dumb. Hopefully, the material will be good.

Marvel (Avi Arad in particular) thinks that becasue Spidder-Man, X-men, and F4 were successful superhero movies, that Marvel has some golden touch and any of their properties will be huge money. But the fact is, those are the 3 big mainstreem Marvel Comics properties and are bound to be the most sucessful. They are in for a rude awakening when they movies like Sub-mariner or Iron Fist are going to be successes.

Marvel (Avi Arad in particular) thinks that becasue Spidder-Man, X-men, and F4 were successful superhero movies, that Marvel has some golden touch and any of their properties will be huge money. But the fact is, those are the 3 big mainstreem Marvel Comics properties and are bound to be the most sucessful. They are in for a rude awakening when they movies like Sub-mariner or Iron Fist are going to be successes.

But the BIG question is how well a Captain America movie would do nowadays.

It'd propably do very well, even if they had him fight Red Skull(ie the commie nazi, even if the concept is laughably silly, Nazis and true communists would hate each other, most Americans don't know that and would love it. That's besie the fact that he's Red White and Blue, that always sells)

The biggest issue with this is that marvel has already licensed out most of their best movie properties to other studios. Spider-Man, X-men, Fantastic Four, and Iron-Man rights are already owned. The only decent ones they'll be using are Captain America and The Avengers (Although how do you do the avengers when you have hawkeye, capt. ameriuca and iron man individual movies is pretty retarded...might as well do the Avengers West Coast)

I mean I -personally- love Dr. Strange, but there might be 6 other fans on the planet. A Nick Fury movie might do well simply because that character translates well to a movie...but it won't do well based on the comics' fanbase.

But why should I complain, marvel will hemmorage money and I'll get a Dr. Strange movie :)

Now that Marvel's making their own films, I will only watch any of those movies if Brian Bendis PERSONALLY writes each of the scripts and Wolverine is promenantly featured in every scene.

They *MIGHT* be onto something with the *right projects*...

After all, Blade wasn't exactly flying off the shelves when it became a cult-hit and spawned two sequels.

However... Power Pack? The fuck?!? Why not make a movie of Night Nurse while they're at it?

The biggest issue with this is that marvel has already licensed out most of their best movie properties to other studios.  Spider-Man, X-men, Fantastic Four, and Iron-Man rights are already owned. The only decent ones they'll be using are Captain America and The Avengers (Although how do you do the avengers when you have hawkeye, capt. ameriuca and iron man individual movies is pretty retarded...might as well do the Avengers West Coast)

I mean I -personally- love Dr. Strange, but there might be 6 other fans on the planet.  A Nick Fury movie might do well simply because that character translates well to a movie...but it won't do well based on the comics' fanbase.

But why should I complain, marvel will hemmorage money and I'll get a Dr. Strange movie :)

An Avengers movie could work depending on who they use, and who crosses over from other movies.

For example, they could have Beast cross over from the X-Men series since he was in both series. That would only work if Fox does it, though.

As for lineups that don't revolve around Hawkeye, Captain America, Iron Man, and Ant Man (Hank Pym), they could use Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, SubMariner, Thor, Wasp, Vision, Wonder Man, and several other major Avengers who I don't think have a lot of spin-off potential.

They *MIGHT* be onto something with the *right projects*...

After all, Blade wasn't exactly flying off the shelves when it became a cult-hit and spawned two sequels.

I agree. I doubt the mainstream moviegoer even knew that Blade was a Marvel character, but the movie was a hit and became a succesful franchise worldwide.

Personally I see good possibilities on a Dr. Strange movie, and I'm not really a fan of his. If Constantine was a mild hit (it made monster business overseas), even with all the changes the character had from the comic, then I see no reason why a Dr. Strange movie couldn't be succesful. It all comes down to a good script and good directing. The total opposite of that dreadful Dr. Strange TV movie from my childhood. Now THAT was a piece of crap.

You know, Power Pack was my favorite title as a kid (I have virtually the whole series), but I REALLY can't see it translating into a movie.

New Warriors might actually be a better story, when you think about how the team was originally formed. I wouldn't mind seeing a Blank Panther movie, either.

What "mess" would you be referring to? I was out to sea when Blade 3 came out, and my internet access wasn't reliable enough for me to waste time reading reviews of movies that I wasn't likely to see.

Some of these have potential. The only one that seems completely stupid to me is Ant Man, since I don't have a clue as to what the hell the Power Pack is.

In additional to Spider-Man, X-Men and F4, Daredevil and Punisher could have done well, but the movies weren't very good.

It's all about the adaptation. They made a putrid movie out of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and a couple very good movies out of Blade. I think a problem Marvel has in general, though is a greater number of recognizable villains, while DC has a greater number of recognizable heroes (and the decent DC cartoons they put out helps that, I think.)

What "mess" would you be referring to? I was out to sea when Blade 3 came out, and my internet access wasn't reliable enough for me to waste time reading reviews of movies that I wasn't likely to see.

Let's see from what I remember from the stories Goyer and Snipes got into some fights about how rough Snipes was being with the stunt man. Even Triple H talked about it on Stern.

And then there talks about how Snipes wasn't happy with the final product and didn't want to have anything to do with the film when it came to interviews and stuff like that.

In additional to Spider-Man, X-Men and F4, Daredevil and Punisher could have done well, but the movies weren't very good.

Both DareDevil and Punisher did well box-office wise, each to a degree. DD had a $70 mill budget and did $102 on its run, so it should be considered a success.

Punisher's budget was $25-30 mil and did $30-35 and did great with DVD sales of over 2 million units. So a mild success at theaters and great showing at the DVD market.

Wether they were critical favorites or not seems irrelevant in this case, since monetary-wise both were successful enough to guarantee at least one sequel each.

I think a problem Marvel has in general, though is a greater number of recognizable villains, while DC has a greater number of recognizable heroes (and the decent DC cartoons they put out helps that, I think.)

So...

Does that mean we may be getting a movie based on The Question?

As for lineups that don't revolve around Hawkeye, Captain America, Iron Man, and Ant Man (Hank Pym), they could use Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, SubMariner, Thor, Wasp, Vision, Wonder Man, and several other major Avengers who I don't think have a lot of spin-off potential.

They HAVE to put Thor in the Avengers movie. He's THOR, for fuck's sake!

Some of these have potential. The only one that seems completely stupid to me is Ant Man, since I don't have a clue as to what the hell the Power Pack is.

It's all about the adaptation. They made a putrid movie out of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and a couple very good movies out of Blade. I think a problem Marvel has in general, though is a greater number of recognizable villains, while DC has a greater number of recognizable heroes (and the decent DC cartoons they put out helps that, I think.)

Power Pack can be summed up as "pre-school X-Men".

Pretty much, an alien crash-landed on Earth and gave four young siblings portions of his special powers to fight the Evil Alien Race of the moment.

I'm not going to debate the merits of the comic since I was never into it, but it REALLY strikes me as something that won't adapt well.

However, a *Deadpool* movie would kick all sorts of ass.

Marvel needs to unload individual movies (Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc.) before trying to put out an Avengers movie.

They have so much material at their disposal.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Punisher movie with Thomas Jane. That guy's a really good actor and aside from the goofy parking lot explosion sequence at the end, I thought that was one of the best Marvel films the company has put out. The Punisher is a really underrated movie, which stays about as true as possible to the original source material like no other Marvel film. I'm looking forward to sequels.

Which, I've found inexplicable.

The only part I could see people hating is the ending scene with the explosions and the parking lot. Other than that, everything else about the movie is aces.

Which, I've found inexplicable.

The only part I could see people hating is the ending scene with the explosions and the parking lot.  Other than that, everything else about the movie is aces.

I think it focused too much on the neighbors. It altered the tone of the movie. And I hated John Travolta's character. Not Travolta, the character

There are Thor and Sub-Mariner projects already in the works.

Has anyone else seen the Daredevil director's cut? MUCH better movie.

The Punisher wasn't bad, so much as it was incredibly disappointing. You make a film about a man who is, arguably, Marvel's most violent comic character, and the film was, frankly, quite tame. I know they did it to reach out to a larger market, and I wasn't exactly expecting Tarantino-esque Kill Bill style fight scenes, but still, for such a ridiculously dark and violent character as the Punisher, he sure didn't do a whole lot of punishing.

Chalk me up as someone else who liked the Punisher movie. My main gripe was that they basically mushed his origin in with one of my favorite Punisher stories(Welcome Back, Frank) and toned it down.

Oh, I'd mark the FUCK OUT for a New Warriors movie.

Any New Warriors film would have to feature Speedball. I'd like to see Jared Leto in the role personally if he dyed his hair like he did in Fight Club. Maybe someone like Mekhi Phifer as Night Thrasher. Plug Kathleen Robertson in as Firestar, Tom Welling as Marvel Boy/Justice and Paul Walker as Nova and that wouldn't suck too much.