TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Marvel = WWE

Guest Cerebus

Speaking of Nick Fury, I heard rumors that the Marvel Max version (the Fury mini-series) pretty much ruined the idea of a Fury movie by making him a grizzled, blood thirsty, whoring Cold War-warrior instead of the much more clean cut patriotic one of the regular Marvel continuity.

Wow, other people liked the Punisher?

What's that bring the total up to now, 7?

IIRC, the movie was highly regarded here on TSM. A lot of people seemed to like it back then, even if the critics didn't.

Has anyone else seen the Daredevil director's cut? MUCH better movie

Without question. I may sound like a broken record by now, but I liked the original version. And the Director's cut blows it out of the water. Again, there's an old thread about it here somewhere.

1. Incredible Hulk - the best balance of action and stroyline for a Marvel movie.

2. The Punisher - Thomas Jane *is* the Punisher and smokes every other Marvel actor's character. The movie also has a wonderful balance of action and meaningful storyline in it.

3. Blade - this movie still holds up well after 7 years and Snipes's protrayal of Blade is almost as good as Jane's Punisher.

4. Daredevil: Director's Cut - Affleck should have not been DD but this version of the movie should have been released in theatres instead of what did end up getting foisted upon the public.

5. X-Men or X-Men 2 - Marvel actually didn't Justice League this movie like NBC did in 1998 with the aforementioned TV movie. These movies actually give everyone on the team something to do and by the end of the flicks, fans, casual and long-time, know what everyone's powers are and what their motivations are for their actions. If anything, the films lack of heavy concentration on the discrimination of mutants hurts the flicks since that *is* why the X-Men comics have been so popular for so long. Everyone's been held down or discriminated against for something they had no control over and is why the X-Men are still a relevent force in today's comic book scene. Good movies overall.

Those are the best movies Marvel has put out with their characters.

The Spider-Man movies are too retarded at times (the ending to the 1st film and the train scene in the 2nd after Spidey's fight with Dr.Octopus) and those schisms in the film escapism are just dumb or stupid to ignore and enjoy. It's like winning the SB but being paralyzed on the last play of the game. They're just bittersweet to watch and that's not something fans should have to walk away feeling like. It's mother fucking Spider-Man, not Forrest Gump. Tobey McGuire blows as Peter Parker since Parker was never a sociopath-in-training like McGuire acts in the movies. Parker was and always will be a wise cracking smartass who got turned down by the girls but would move on go about his life. He only acted sullen or really sad when his Aunt May was in trouble but other than that he was a free spirit who could carry conversations but, in the process, he'd make everyone around him feel dumb and then resent him for his idiot-savat genius.

Forrest Gump indeed. Peter Parker isn't a social retard, he's just a giant geek with some too-smart-for-his-own good personality, not a social retard.

The X-Men movies really don't have a fun or interesting balance between stroyline and action scenes at times. The storyline is heavy in the 1st film but the action sequences are really lacking except for the big fight at the end. The 2nd film is heavy on action sequences but the fact that the army can give the X-Men a tough time doesn't make them all that impressive in my eyes. If they had fought a 30 foot Sentinel instead or even face off against Nimrod then maybe the 2nd film would have come off more powerful and explosive compared to the 1st one.

The X-Men movies are better than the Spider-Man movies but the action sequences for Spidey smokes the X-Men movies. The only difference though is that the X-Men movies don't have the massive brain farts (unmasked Spidey?) like the Spider-Man movies do. That offsets anything else good about the movies.

The Hulk, the Punisher, and the Blade movies all did a great job of fleshing out the main character, his supporting characters, villains with big plans and diabolical ways of achieving them and throwing out some great action scenes along with some touching ones as well. The supporting cast characters for the Punisher are more interesting than the supporting cast characters in Spider-Man, which, really, is wrong on several levels but the director and writer of the Punisher did *everything* right and it's a shame this film did not get noticed more when it was in theatres.

1. Incredible Hulk - the best balance of action and stroyline for a Marvel movie.

I dunno about that...the thing that bugged me about the Hulk was that it was the one Marvel movie that should have been nothing but chaos and killing for 2 hours. I mean, he mutates into a big monster when he gets mad. There's not as much depth to the character to play around with as there is in say, Spider-Man or X-Men.

I think that was part of the reason that Hulk didn't do so well...people expected lots more smashing (and who could blame them? It's the HULK!) and instead we get some guy sitting in a chair with the shakes. The hell?

The movie was mainly about Banner and his ongoing problems with life. The Hulk is that freak out moment everyone has where they want to destroy everyone in their path. That's what happened to Banner in the movie: when bad things happen, the Hulk pops up.

If the Hulk had gone on city wide rampages, destroying cities and even possibly killing people, then why should the audience show any sympathy or interest in the character? He's now a villain and no longer the monster people feel sorry for since he has the maturity of an infant. That's too difficult to overcome and is one of the reasons why I hate and like John Byrne: he had the Hulk destroy an entire airplane in mid air where everyone died *only* for it to later be revealed that the Hulk in question was actually a mutated lackey of Tyrannus, who was mind controlling his Hulk like minions. Marvel put the kibosh on that idea of his though and the Tyrannus lackey was later used as the cop-out. Too bad.

Honestly though...how many people do you suppose have died in the wake of the Hulk's rampages? Hulk: Banner is one of the darkest stories I've ever read on this theory about the Hulk wiping out people along with towns and it changed my entire outlook on the character and helped me appreciate Ang Lee's movie that much more since he didn't have the Hulk go around tearing up cities.

Banner's dad was also a good foil for the Hulk since his dad had become corrupted by the gamma power he had inside him while his son fought to control the savage rage the Hulk exhibited.

The first Hulk movie was all mental but the fight scenes against the Gamma dogs, the military in the underground gamma base and the final encounter with Mr.Banner were all heavily symbolic since power managed to corrupt all those characters while Banner still held onto his humanity at the end.

The Hulk sequel can be non-stop fight scenes vs. like the Abomination, the Rhino, the Wendigo, the Absorbing Man and even Modok or the Leader. Just don't let Banner forget about finding a cure. At least he's trying to solve his problem while the aforementioned villains above embrace their wickedness.

Interesting point...I suppose it would have been hard to keep Banner as a character you want to see when he's busy committing genocide.

That said though, I have low standards for movies and am easily entertained by special effects. I wanna see HULK SMASH!

Also, since we're talking about Marvel movies anyway: What are the chances of Marvel cross-over movies? I think Spider-Man and the X-Men are used by different studios, so does that mean it's impossible, or is it the kind of thing they could get around if they really tried?

Also, are the other heros all owned by different studios, or what?

I dunno, I just think they could do a lot of neat stuff if they started doing cross-overs. I mean, I may not have the desire to see another Hulk movie, but if you told me that Spider-Man had to try and stop a Hulk rampage in the next movie, I'd be all over that.

Bingo.

DD and the Punisher.

X-Men and Spider-Man.

Spider-Man and DD.

Spider-Man and Blade.

Hulk and DD.

Spider-Man and Hulk.

etc.

I have no idea if he could actually do the acting part, but Brock Lesnar might make for a good Captain America, at least from a visual standpoint.

I mean, he's huge, he's blone, he's athletic - I think that's all you need.

The Spider-Man movies are too retarded at times (the ending to the 1st film and the train scene in the 2nd after Spidey's fight with Dr.Octopus)  and those schisms in the film escapism are just dumb or stupid to ignore and enjoy.  It's like winning the SB but being paralyzed on the last play of the game.  They're just bittersweet to watch and that's not something fans should have to walk away feeling like.  It's mother fucking Spider-Man, not Forrest Gump.  Tobey McGuire blows as Peter Parker since Parker was never a sociopath-in-training like McGuire acts in the movies.  Parker was and always will be a wise cracking smartass who got turned down by the girls but would move on go about his life.  He only acted sullen or really sad when his Aunt May was in trouble but other than that he was a free spirit who could carry conversations but, in the process, he'd make everyone around him feel dumb and then resent him for his idiot-savat genius.

Forrest Gump indeed.  Peter Parker isn't a social retard, he's just a giant geek with some too-smart-for-his-own good personality, not a social retard.

You are absolutely right. McGuire looks the part, but he just doesn't have the charisma to pull off the role, and his Spidey quips are dry. Someone like Topher Grace would of been better, his Eric Forman character is pretty similar to Parker's.

Speaking of Topher Grace, I read somewhere that it was rumored he's playing Venom in the next Spidey movie, with the guy from Ned & Stacey playing the Sandman and James Franco as the Hobgoblin. This is just rumor, mind you, so take it for what it's worth.

Topher Grace so badly needed to play Spider-Man, it's not even funny.

He'd be much better for the role than Tobey Maguire.

Ah, OK.

A friend of mine had a unique take for the role: Michael Jai White. The guy who played Spawn.

His thought was, back in those days, a black man would probably be the one chosen to test such a serum, just in case of failure. Then, they could have the spy aspect of Cap played up, with the US dissavowing knowlege of him because of relations with blacks at the time. FFWD to the future, after being frozen, and how the more Politically Correct world embraces him.

I'll watch these. Hell, I rented Man-Thing when it came out on DVD.

I was under the impression a few of these would be animated projects though? I know not all of them would do extremely well, but certain ones, mainly Captain America, are still better known heroes that an adaption could at least break even.

Ah, OK.

A friend of mine had a unique take for the role: Michael Jai White.  The guy who played Spawn.

His thought was, back in those days, a black man would probably be the one chosen to test such a serum, just in case of failure.  Then, they could have the spy aspect of Cap played up, with the US dissavowing knowlege of him because of relations with blacks at the time.  FFWD to the future, after being frozen, and how the more Politically Correct world embraces him.

Marvel did a mini-series a couple of years back, called TRUTH, I believe. It basically revealed that the first tests the US government did for the super-soldier formula were made on african-american men, therefore the first Captain America was, in fact, a black man. Even though I haven't read that series or the Young Avengers, I believe the kid who is Cap's equivalent on that group may be a relative of that first super soldier. Please feel free to correct me on any of this if I'm mistaken.

Topher Grace so badly needed to play Spider-Man, it's not even funny.

He'd be much better for the role than Tobey Maguire.

I must have misplaced my issue of Spider-Man where Peter was a tall, scrawny redheaded smart-ass kid instead of a short, nerdy brown-haired kid.

I found it pretty funny when people said they though Maguire was an odd choice to play Spider-Man. I guess some people just don't know the character that well (i.e. not at all).

When did Peter Parker become an anemia victim? I must have not bought that issue. But seriously, Maguire's boring to watch and shoots for a lame® Parker with his portrayal. The guy is not brain damaged or too slow to think. Parker will always be a smart aleck nerd who annoyed people like Flash Thompson since they weren't as smart as him. Flash Thompson's character got hosed in the Spidey movies too. The guy was Parker's nemesis in school but later became one of his best friends later on in life. They each went through some rough times together but they managed to hang out and keep up with one another in conversations at least. Thompson was always one of the more interesting characters in the Spider-Man series when the character was written with a strong storyline. Sam Raimi fumbled the ball by not trying to show off one of the best things about Spider-Man: his supporting cast. That's an injustice to all fans.

You would have to think that since Marvel will be calling most of the shots that they would love to build an Avengers movie AFTER Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye ect...I think that the Cap movie and Iron Man flicks will be fun to see...BTW has anyone checked out the little know ManThing movie yet..it was a straight to DVD release but I haven't taken the time to see it.....

I kinda saw it back when it premiered on the Sci-Fi Channel IIRC so it wasn't really straight to video. To tell the truth, it didn't hold my interest that much, I kept flipping the channels thru a great part of the movie. Maybe if I catch it again I'll give it a decent chance. I've seen pretty much every comics-related movie except for the original F4 movie.

I have no idea if he could actually do the acting part, but Brock Lesnar might make for a good Captain America, at least from a visual standpoint.

I mean, he's huge, he's blone, he's athletic - I think that's all you need.

Brock would make a better villain. He's got a great scowl/retarded monster look to him.