TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

HBK is a little unhappy

Look at the numbers, thats all I say. Cutting guys can be for a variety of reasons. Like when the aren't getting over. Lets not get into WWE philosophy here...air time for Diva search, Masters, Snitsky, child custody and necrophilia angles isn't excatly great for business.

You just said business was great for McMahon?

Buyrates aren't really all that low. I mean even the lower tier PPVs are still getting about a .65 or so. Compare that to WCW's hideous .10 buyrates they were getting near the end (though ironically some of those WCW shows weren't too bad).

I think what we're seeing is WM is becoming more and more of a mega draw that they build around at the expense of the other PPVs. They bring back old guys to star at that show, build it as something more important, then wonder why the actual guys on the roster don't draw as well for the other PPVs.

They're doing it half-right with making Mania the clear cut #1 show. They should have made it the year end culmination of the storylines instead of just a dream match card stuck in the middle of the year like it has lately. They've really hurt the show by not really blowing off everything at Mania every year. While I can see them leaving a few threads hanging for a rainy day booking, they do it too often that it makes Mania just another PPV but with the bells and whistles that the other PPVs don't get.

Guest JoeJoe
Look at the numbers, thats all I say. Cutting guys can be for a variety of reasons. Like when the aren't getting over. Lets not get into WWE philosophy here...air time for Diva search, Masters, Snitsky, child custody and necrophilia angles isn't excatly great for business.

You just said business was great for McMahon?

Ok kid. I'll break it up for ya. Buyrates and merchandising is doing great. Shitty business moves like those I mentioned prevent them from doing better, i.e. greater. This time, however, is by no means a downtime.

If they're cutting guys, in no way are they doing "good" business. If they were, they'd have little to no need of clearing those financial obligations. They've also started doing more international tours lately, another sign of a down time. Seriously, did you just start watching wrestling post 1998 or something?

Guest Brian

Buyrates are good, but rating are mediocre and house show attendance is in the hole (international business aside, it's in the shitter). There are more dimensions to the business, and more important areas, than buyrates.

Guest JoeJoe

Cuts can be due to a variety of reasons, some of which can be political. If some guys aren't doing well, they simply let them go. WWE has a wayyy bigger nursery than say it had 10 years ago. OVW and now Deep South. One guy doesn't work, don't waste time and try the other. Simple. And NOT wasting money is actually good business, if that gets through ur head.

And isn't doing more shows outside supposed to lead one to believe that they're obviously expanding the buisness and making more money in other areas? Not only geographically, but even to the mainstream (movies, music). ;/

Seriously, did you just start watching wrestling post 1998 or something?

Did my calling you a kid hurt THAT much. haha

Guest JoeJoe
Buyrates are good, but rating are mediocre and house show attendance is in the hole (international business aside, it's in the shitter). There are more dimensions to the business, and more important areas, than buyrates.

Ratings don't get money. Buyrates do.

Cuts can be due to a variety of reasons, some of which can be political. If some guys aren't doing well, they simply let them go. WWE has a wayyy bigger nursery than say it had 10 years ago. OVW and now Deep South. One guy doesn't work, don't waste time and try the other. Simple. And NOT wasting money is actually good business, if that gets through ur head.

And isn't doing more shows outside supposed to lead one to believe that they're obviously expanding the buisness and making more money in other areas? Not only geographically, but even to the mainstream (movies, music). ;/

Seriously, did you just start watching wrestling post 1998 or something?

Did my calling you a kid hurt THAT much. haha

So that's why we have Chris Masters cluttering up the rings while letting Jimmy Yang go, because Masters can work and Yang can't, right?

No, doing more shows outside the US means the house show business in North America is drying up. Now why is it drying up? Hmmm....

How does me asking if you watched wrestling before 1998 relate with you calling me a kid? Sounds like you're trying to fish an insult out of nothing...

Guest Brian

Ratings don't get money. Buyrates do.

They don't make money off ad-rates? They don't get better television contracts when their ratings are higher? And you're totally avoiding facts like they could get 1000 people to a show in Canada, one of their strongest business grounds in North America.

Guest JoeJoe
So that's why we have Chris Masters cluttering up the rings while letting Jimmy Yang go, because Masters can work and Yang can't, right?

No, doing more shows outside the US means the house show business in North America is drying up. Now why is it drying up? Hmmm....

How does me asking if you watched wrestling before 1998 relate with you calling me a kid? Sounds like you're trying to fish an insult out of nothing...

-We have Chris Masters because a) He's a Vince Mcmahon favorite "big man". b) He can talk.

-Poor deducting. They make a whole lotta more money outside than they do at houseshows here. They sell more merchandise there, and actaully expand their business name. Doing it because of ordinary houseshow business or otherwise is irrelevant as long as it makes them money. Now if they weren't making money at all, that'd be a downtime. Thats like saying WWE is going into movies because they can't seem to make money off of wrestling.

-Well, since I do happen to know a bit more than you, asking me that was kinda bitchy wasn't it. ;)

They don't make money off ad-rates? They don't get better television contracts when their ratings are higher? And you're totally avoiding facts like they could get 1000 people to a show in Canada, one of their strongest business grounds in North America.

Really, how much do you think is that compared to buyrates? We've come to a point where the WWE has retained its fanbase for the big PPV's, but just not for the TV shows. Theres a large portion that doesn't tune into the show regularly, yet might buy the big PPVs or the brand-only ones that might be a bit more intriguing than usual (eg. Vengeance)

A soar in ratings at this point is only going to get back those PPV-only fans to take interest and regularly watch the show, where as the main business, which is buyrates and DVD sales, virtually remains the same. Merchandising might fluctuate though.

After observing the buyrate for the past two WM's and some of the awesome DVD sales, one shouldn't even argue about the business being anything less than great. Sure its not attitude era awesome, but its the next best thing. Also the fact that there are now 15 PPVs a year, it evens out itself.

-We have Chris Maters because a) He's a Mcmahon favorite "big man". b) He can talk.

-Poor deducting. They make a whole lotta more money outside than they do at houseshows here. They sell more merchandise there, and actaully expand their business name. Doing it because of ordinary houseshow business or otherwise is irrelevant as long as it makes them money. Now if they weren't making money at all, that'd be a downtime. Thats like saying WWE is going into movies because they can't seem to make money off of wrestling.

-Well, since I do happen to know a bit more than you, asking me that was kinda bitchy wasn't it. ;)

Right so they didn't release guys because they couldn't work. They released them because they COULDN'T AFFORD THEM. Thanks for proving my point.

They make money there because they haven't exhausted those avenues of revenue. They weren't going there a lot in 1998-2003. Now that the market has been exhausted in North America, and with the business in decline, of course they're going to go where people haven't had wrestling in years and would pay to go.

That's highly debatable and pretty laughable.

The Valedictorian of Stupid School, JoeJoe is the kind of poster that makes you want to gouge your eyes out just to make the pain stop. I put this twerp on Ignore not long after he appeared because it was clear that reading his drivel was going to be more trouble than it was worth, and after accidentally catching his crayon etched rantings these past few days I knew I made the right decision. I think deep down he knows he is in way over his head when it comes to any kind of debate that requires actual knowledge and understanding of wrestling, but he clearly isn’t able to deal with this, so walks around with his cheeks puffed out and shouts around to try and hide the fact that he doesn’t know what the fuck he is talking about. I think the board would be best served by JoeJoe turning his computer off, walking away, and doing something else to pass the time. I suggest becoming a crash test dummy.

Guest JoeJoe
Right so they didn't release guys because they couldn't work. They released them because they COULDN'T AFFORD THEM. Thanks for proving my point.

They make money there because they haven't exhausted those avenues of revenue. They weren't going there a lot in 1998-2003. Now that the market has been exhausted in North America, and with the business in decline, of course they're going to go where people haven't had wrestling in years and would pay to go.

That's highly debatable and pretty laughable.

-For them, talking and charisma is equal to working, mon ami. I guess you're the one who started watching after '98. Ha.

-How the fark is the business in decline when they ARE making money. They aren't going to the moon, its just across the ocean where there are, just like u and me, people with flesh, blood, and soul who like watching wrestling.

-Actually, its quite true. Ask Kurt Angle. Or just go through our dialogue again. :)

The Valedictorian of Stupid School, JoeJoe is the kind of poster that makes you want to gouge your eyes out just to make the pain stop. I put this twerp on Ignore not long after he appeared because it was clear that reading his drivel was going to be more trouble than it was worth, and after accidentally catching his crayon etched rantings these past few days I knew I made the right decision. I think deep down he knows he is in way over his head when it comes to any kind of debate that requires actual knowledge and understanding of wrestling, but he clearly isn’t able to deal with this, so walks around with his cheeks puffed out and shouts around to try and hide the fact that he doesn’t know what the fuck he is talking about. I think the board would be best served by JoeJoe turning his computer off, walking away, and doing something else to pass the time. I suggest becoming a crash test dummy.

Transaltion: I can't frikkin stand that frikkin HBgay doodle frikkin ruining my frikkin mood and this board's frikkin gorgeous frikkin hate on frikkin HBgay.

Guest JoeJoe
So basically you're just going to pretend you're right? Alright well then no need for me to debate further.

Pff, you're not that bad. Atleast your excuse isn't as lame as putting on ignore just to escape debates.

Later.

Guest Brian

-We have Chris Masters because a) He's a Vince Mcmahon favorite "big man". b) He can talk.

Really, how much do you think is that compared to buyrates? We've come to a point where the WWE has retained its fanbase for the big PPV's, but just not for the TV shows. Theres a large portion that doesn't tune into the show regularly, yet might buy the big PPVs or the brand-only ones that might be a bit more intriguing than usual (eg. Vengeance)

A soar in ratings at this point is only going to get back those PPV-only fans to take interest and regularly watch the show, where as the main business, which is buyrates and DVD sales, virtually remains the same. Merchandising might fluctuate though.

After observing the buyrate for the past two WM's and some of the awesome DVD sales, one shouldn't even argue about the business being anything less than great. Sure its not attitude era awesome, but its the next best thing. Also the fact that there are now 15 PPVs a year, it evens out itself.

So we're just going to play like attendance is the thousand-pound gorilla, are we?

I thought everyone knew that the WWE only bothers to shift itself to come over here when North America is fed up with them, because we have very little wrestling and people will play extortionate prices to see shows where nothing of note will happen?

I guess that piece of knowledge must have passed JoeJoe by.

Guest netslob

it doesn't hurt that he's caucasian, either.

Guest Mulatto Heat

Watch the end of RAW where Michaels is the focus of the face team, and there is your answer as to why WWE wasn't exactly behind him beating Hogan and going up against Cena as a heel, and why I can't really sympathize with him. It's because he WON'T play heel, only tweener; he's simply too much of a mark for his pops to do so.

Written by Patrick Kelly

Thursday, 08 September 2005

Source: PWTorch Newsletter

Shawn Michaels has been becoming a regular at WWE production meetings as of late. HBK recently spoke his mind on the creative team's apparent failure, in his opinion, to have anything better for him than Chris Masters after his loss to Hogan at SummerSlam. However, despite his opinion on the matter, Michaels has handled the situation professionaly in a manner comparable to that of his handling of the Hogan SummerSlam fued.

Other wrestlers such as Triple H and The Undertaker also attend regularly at WWE production meetings.

comedy

The HBK love on this board is IMO really saddening. He was, along with Kevin Nash, one of the top two assholes in the WWF during the 90's. Hell, he's still at the top of the list of assholes in today's WWE.

I normally agree with The 1000 Year Old Man, but HBK rules, bro!

I've mellowed out since but I'll always remain a little bitter at him for getting the finish to the One Night Only match changed w/ Bulldog . . . after DBS dedicated the match to his cancer-stricken dying sister. Hell, a double-CO would have been fine with DX taunting the Harts on their way to the back while the Harts stay in the ring and challenge them to fight.