TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ripper

Does anyone like Jae Lee's work

I was discussing he X-cutioners song with someone the other day and I mentioned how it would have been alot better if Jae Lee wasn't busy making the X-Factor of the books SUCK. They disagreed, saying they liked his style and I couldn't understand for the life of me what there is to like about it. \

Am I alone in the belief that this guy sucks? What am I missing if I am? Did he get better or something?

I have the X-cutioner's Song GN and, yeah, I don't care for Jae Lee...of course I also dug a lot of Wilce Portacio's stuff, which gets knocked a lot...one guy I definently hated was Rob Liefield...Joe Matsuera, Jim Lee and Erik Larson are my all-time favs...Todd Macfarlane was alright if not overrated, IMO...

I have looked up some more of his stuff and from what I have seen, he can do some great art, but as a comic artist, he sucked in the begining. I think he was having issues with producing the art under the deadlines required at Marvel and learned eventually. Cover art and such, where he was probably given more time on single images, look great, but panel work...ugh.

I still remember I redrew, inked and colored every issue he did in the Executioners song just so I could enjoy it more when I was in High School.

Lee's covers and art always bugged me. He had this unique style but, to me, it just looked lazy. Anyone can scrimble around like Lee does, but at least he was tight with how he shaped his characters sometimes, which isn't a bad thing. When Iron Fist came back from limbo in Namor, Lee should have got the okay from Marvel to do a mini-series or something since Lee's work helped books sell like crazy.