TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO 10/1 Impact Thread

The Impact debut is a couple of days away, but TNA has sent out a preview for Saturday's show, so I thought I'd go ahead and start the OAO thread. I'm sure they'll be a spoilers thread tomorrow, but this is for everyone who's trying to avoid the spoilers (at least for one week ;)) Here's the preview...

MAIN EVENT SET FOR FIRST “iMPACT!” ON SPIKETV

“The Charismatic Enigma” Jeff Hardy to face “The Man Beast” Rhino

Nashville,TN( September 26, 2005)-- The main event is set for the first “iMPACT!” on SpikeTV airing this Saturday, October 1 at 11PM, as “The Charismatic Enigma” Jeff Hardy will take on “The Man Beast” Rhino.

The bout between the two TNA stars will be a preview of the upcoming “Monster’s Ball 2” taking place at “Bound For Glory”, as Hardy and Rhino will compete in the melee against Abyss and Sabu.

In addition, we can announce another match set to take place this Saturday night on SpikeTV, as the high-flying stars of the TNA X Division will be in action. There will be a three-way bout featuring Team Canada’s captain Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin vs. Alex Shelley. This bout will be a preview of the innovative “Ultimate X Match” set for “Bound For Glory”, where Sabin, Williams and fellow X Division star Matt Bentley face off

Already announced for the action-packed card this Saturday night is that “The Phenomenal” AJ Styles will kick-off the show against newcomer Roderick Strong.

TNA Entertainment, LLC is a privately held company headquartered in Nashville, TN. TNA programming is currently available in 118 countries. TNA iMPACT debuts on US based Spike TV on Saturday, October 1st. TNA is also available on monthly pay-per-view on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, Dish Network and TVN as well as Viewer’s Choice, Bell ExpressVu and Shaw PPV in Canada.

Credit: TNAWrestling.com

I think TNA should do previews like this every week and announce a match or two each week. It might cut down on people reading spoilers.

But about this show...that's about a good a non-XD main event they can deliver without putting the title up. They obviously want to capitalize on the "name" value of both guys (Hardy more so than Rhino), and I can't blame them for that logic in their first time in front of so many eyeballs. And they will clearly be showcasing the X-Division on the show, which is also a great move. That 3 way should be a great match and I'm sure Bentley will be around to put some heat on Ultimate X. What do you think? The matches to your liking? What "surprises" do you expect?

Oh..my predictions are Styles and Williams to get their unique finishers over, and a DQ in the ME. Williams will probably land the Canadian destroyer after Bentley superkicks Sabin. How bout yours?

I'm really hoping they allow the Canadian Destroyer for the first Spike show.

People who would be watching TNA for the first time and seeing that move, like this one guy I know who saw TNA recently through OnDemand, would see that move and be like "HOLY SHIT, WHAT WAS *THAT*!?"

I have to admit that I marked big time when I saw the Destroyer for the first time.... its unique, and no less contrived than the People's Elbow or *shudder* The Worm.

People who would be watching TNA for the first time and seeing that move, like this one guy I know who saw TNA recently through OnDemand, would see that move and be like "HOLY SHIT, WHAT WAS *THAT*!?"

I'm certain that if we don't get a Destroyer in that match, we'll see a package on it before the match starts. And I definitely marked out the first time I saw it too.

Also, not suprisingly, TNA added this too:

TNA TO AIR CONTROVERSIAL FOOTAGE ON "iMPACT!" ON SPIKETV OF JARRETT WINNING TITLE IN CANADA

Nashville, TN ( September 26, 2005)--TNAwrestling.com has learned that TNA has secured the controversial footage of Jeff Jarrett winning the NWA World Heavyweight Title from Raven in Canada, and management plans to air the video on the first "iMPACT!" on SpikeTV on Saturday, October 1.

That night in Canada, America's Most Wanted turned their backs on the fans and allied themselves with Jarrett to cost Raven the NWA World Heavyweight Title. The bout took place under the banner of "Border City Wrestling" out of Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

TNAwrestling.com has also learned that NWA officials are still looking into the specifics of the bout and how Jarrett managed to secure a World Title match outside of the jurisdiction of TNA.

Fans who tune in to "iMPACT" on SpikeTV on October 1 will see the footage of one of the most controversial moments in TNA Wrestling. New NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett, along with America's Most Wanted, are also scheduled to appear on the first "iMPACT!" on SpikeTV.

credit: TNAWrestling.com

Showing that the title changed in Canada will help them come off as a big time company, IMO. And of course it will set up the obligatory "I'm the KotM" promo. The key to that is who interrupts it and how well they get over.

I think we should lay ground rules on the spoilers and how they're discussed in this thread (first two Impacts will be taped tomorrow night).

On a side note, they better feature Joe in the debut show. Not that I'll tune out if they don't, but it's for the good of the company for the road they're about to embark on.

I think we should lay ground rules on the spoilers and how they're discussed in this thread (first two Impacts will be taped tomorrow night).

I agree. I think that until the show airs, the only things that should be discuessed in this thread are the preview information TNA provides. All other information should be kept in the eventual spoiler thread.

On a side note, they better feature Joe in the debut show. Not that I'll tune out if they don't, but it's for the good of the company for the road they're about to embark on.

Though it doesn't look like he's gonna make anyone tap in week 1, I'm sure he'll be featured in a vignette to hype him and the match with Liger.

Guest deinly1

TNA is going to score huge with people who have never been exposed to it before. As long as the best finishers and some highspots are involved, however to really challenge WWE I think they MUST have shows take place in bigger arenas. First time i saw TNA I was impressed with the athleticism of the entire roster from Abyss to Daniels, the only thing that seemed bush-league is that they all risk broken necks for like 50 people in the crowd. Hopefully with time in the spotlight and increased PPV buys which comes with that, they can at least fill the smaller arenas out there. As for the 11pm sat. nite timeslot, Hopefully they will give it a 9pm tues. or something after a few weeks. Doesn't matter to me when its on since I TiVo it. This is long awaited for me, I havent watched one TNA impact internet show.

Pretty safe bet we see Joe or Abyss in a quickie squash.

I also don't think Hardy v.s. Rhino is going to be the main event of the actual show. That's going to seem like a Sunday Night Heat main event for the new fans without a wrinkle added to it.

It's really going to be tough to shoehorn everyone into two weeks of shows, try to establish guys for the Spike TV audience, spring the "surprises", and get over the angles for Bound for Glory. Hopefully the creative team is up to it.

Pretty safe bet we see Joe or Abyss in a quickie squash.

If there's a squash match, Joe should get it.

Abyss can accomplish the same effect interfering in the Hardy/Rhyno match, which also segues into introducing Sabu to the ECW and WCW fans who remember him.

I have to admit that I marked big time when I saw the Destroyer for the first time.... its unique, and no less contrived than the People's Elbow or *shudder* The Worm.

The Worm and People's Elbow are moves that are over because of the character executing them. The Canadian Destroyer is over because of the move itself and degree of difficulty involved in executing it.

Actually, Rey Mysterio has done it or something *very* close to it in the WWE, and it's actually featured in his new "lucha tradition" smackdown video. You gotta love McMahon :lol:

At first I was going to come in here and say that the three matches announced wouldn't really keep viewers (Hardy vs Rhino? Obviously designed to pull in the fans that knows them from their WWF/E days) but then I remembered that Impact was only 1 hour long, so this is acceptable I guess, but I hope they put on better cards in the future.

"Charismatic Enigma"? Isn't that an oxymoron?

If they give AJ and Strong a good ten minutes, they can have a great TV match. No point in giving any more time than that really on a 1 hour show, because Strong vs. Styles could be a good option for a PPV match somewhere down the line. Hardy/Rhino should be passable enough. Shelley/Sabin/Petey interests me a lot. Again, should be a great TV match given 8-10 minutes. Then, you still have plenty of time to showcase the Joes, the Browns, the Abysseses and such.

Guest MikeSC
If there is a squash Monty F'n Brown should get it, he is the future.

Disagree, simply because his style is the usual hoss style while Joe's style is definitely NOT that.

They're apparently going to air "post-show" footage on the web after the show goes off the iar.

In addition, fans who tune into “iMPACT!” should check TNAwrestling.com shortly after the show to see exclusive video of what happened when cameras went off the air!

That's an interesting way to generate website traffic and go make their WCW-esque cliffhanger endings more palpable. I had when they going off the air before something happens, like when they ended the show before Bentley superkicked Trinity sometime in May as opposed to going off after something dramatic happens and wondering what's going to happen next (think JR: "There's gonna be hell to pay next week!"). It'll be interested to see how the show ends and what they put on the web.

Guest MikeSC

That "psych" won't last.

And just because I wasn't paying attention --- where the hell is Amazing Red?

Guest JesusJuiced
And just because I wasn't paying attention --- where the hell is Amazing Red?

His bio was taken off TNAWrestling.com yesterday I believe. So he's probably been released.

And rightfully so. Eversince that injury I`ve seen nothing "amazing" out of him. Anywayz, I`m really hyped to see this show, should be a blast.

Btw, I may sound like a noob here but I`ve always wondered and I`ve never asked or read somehere what it stands for so... What does OAO stand for?

Guest MikeSC

One and Only.

And while I do agree that, post-injury, Red was nothing --- I was shocked he was dumped like that.

Red was the very definition of spot-monkey. While there are a handful of matches where he is "on", even with TNA's high spot X division style, he was too risky and too spotty. However, he could do the athletic oversell very well. Still, there is a lot more talent out there that is better and TNA needs to cut some fat anyways.

Guest *KNK*

What Amazing Red did good, others do better.

he has nothing offer a promotion like TNA anymore especially since he has been reduced drastically from his former self.

He was never going to grow into a wrestler and was highspot machine galore.

I'd take a Jack Evans over RED, when Evans can do those same spots but with a great heel personality and an actual understanding of how to work a match beyond random high spots.

Eh, Jack Evans is an upgrade from Red, but not by much. Probrably only half a notch. I've seen plenty of Evans matches where they came off as bad as bad Red matches. Evans would probrably make it to about Shark Boy/Sonjay Dutt level and not anything higher in TNA. His Gen Next partners (Aries and Strong) have much better potential.