TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO 10/1 Impact Thread

Very good start... not super amazing but very good. They did what they had to do in a debut.

I love how great the production looks and the fast pace of the show. They totally changed the look of the Impact Zone with a few tweaks and made it look like a big arena.

Next week's show is better wrestling-wise by all accounts.

Guest TheGreatWesuke
Faith No More Guy (the long haired, sunglasses wearing front row ECW fan) is in the front row!!!!  :ph34r:

Unless he gained 30 pounds since One Night Stand, that's not him.

Dude, that was SO him. They did a quick pan of the front row right before 3LK stormed the ring and you could clearly see him.

If Faith No More Guy gives it HIS stamp of approval, then it must be good enough for me. ;)

Faith No More Guy (the long haired, sunglasses wearing front row ECW fan) is in the front row!!!!  :ph34r:

Unless he gained 30 pounds since One Night Stand, that's not him.

Dude, that was SO him. They did a quick pan of the front row right before 3LK stormed the ring and you could clearly see him.

If Faith No More Guy gives it HIS stamp of approval, then it must be good enough for me. ;)

I'm almost positive it was just some random biker dude.

This was a damned good debut, and I am definitely in next week.

You're right on point, Dames. They haven;t even showcased Joe or Daniels yet. Even if they are squashes, just seeing them will generate more interest, but they were wise to hold some things back.

I think it would also be wise to show that triple threat match on InDemand. Showing a few of their best matches over the last year or two would also garner a lot more interest.

Guest TheGreatWesuke

My only complaint is that like the ill-fated ECW on TNN show, everything seemed way to rushed. Hopefully, this is only the case with the first couple of episodes as they try to introduce an entire promotion in the span of an hour every week.

First off, it was Faith No More dude.

Second, Rsssh, Strong isn't one of the focuses of TNA, Styles is and at least he got to get SOME offense in, unlike Monty Brown's opponent. Speaking of that, Brown has given much better Pounces to people, that was a bit of a disappointment, especially if you see his match with Abyss at last years Turning Point. The guy can put on a good match with the right guy, but showing about a minute of the guy won't really do much for you right away, especially with his Serengeti stuff.

Styles wasnt trying to tell a story with this match. See his matches with Daniels or Samoa Joe for that. This was a 5-8 minute showcase of his offense to an audience that has never seen him before. Think about it that way, since thats how it was intended. It wasn't intended to be a marquee match up or a PPV build up against Strong, it was intended as a Styles showcase so it's ok in my opinion to let Styles show just a portion of his amazing offense to a new crowd.

The 3 way dance could have been better, I agree. If you watch the PPV's TNA has put on in this past, this match pales in comparison, but at least it shows that its going to be fast paced, shows moves you've never seen before and has guys that are willing to go balls out, which is more than you'll see on WWE TV these days from the cruisers, which is no fault of their own.

Jarrett and Nash on top, while I don't WANT them on top, is only to show the world that is tuning in for the first time (which most of are marks) that this is where these guys have been lately and while you might not care, I'm sure you've seen or spoken to enough marks that happen to like Nash or the Dudleys to show enough interest in it. If you put it on fresh faces right away, you have to showcase them...instead, give them a build first.

Dames

I really wish they had 2 hours, it would make things so much easier. I always thought their older PPV only shows were solid shows, but that they seemed more like a better Raw. As in a good 2 hour show for TV, but not really a PPV. If they could get 2 hours and put on those type shows I think they'd be great.

Having not seen much TNA stuff in the past year I don't know these guys The Naturals. Why not just job them out to AMW and then have that obvious Dudleys/AMW feud for the tag belts?

Just stop totally scoring this entire show for a second, especially comparing it to other TNA shows. What I think matters is how the show looked compared to WWE right now, and if you ask me, this show looked leaps and bounds better than most WWE shows of the past good while. Even the three way, while not great, it had action in it that casual fans have just never seen before.

I think this is going to hook people in, just because they aren't used to such different action, even if it wasn't "great" compared to other TNA matches.

Get what I'm saying?

I agree with that much. TNA fills the void of just wanting to see some guys bust shit out. I mean watch some crappy Carlito match on Raw with his boring restholds and headlocks....then watch that wild 3 way tonight.

TNA's main problem is the same thing that plagued WCW's cruisers, namely that most of these guys haven't got much of a persona to get people interested in anything besides the moveset. I didn't know two of the three guys in the 3 way match (I did know Sabin from some of the weekly PPVs, he had an awesome match with Juventud). Why not give these guys a bit of mic time to introduce themselves, rather than just being "Anonymous cruiser/X guy who does wild shit?"

Guest *KNK*
I really wish they had 2 hours, it would make things so much easier.  I always thought their older PPV only shows were solid shows, but that they seemed more like a better Raw.  As in a good 2 hour show for TV, but not really a PPV.  If they could get 2 hours and put on those type shows I think they'd be great.

Having not seen much TNA stuff in the past year I don't know these guys The Naturals.  Why not just job them out to AMW and then have that obvious Dudleys/AMW feud for the tag belts?

Why job out a team when it's not neccesary. You might have forgotten what a tag team division is since WWE has as well but TNA intends to build an actual DIVISION for the tag team scene.

There's no sensible reason to job out a tag team, just to transition the titles onto another to virtually throw in a "prop" for a tag team angle that doesn't require the presence of the tag titles.

Keeping the Naturals as strong tag team while the AMW and Team 3D are also presented as "big teams" is better then cutting off the legs of another.

I just wanted to make sure, the show's only an hour right?

Guest Rrrsh

Second, Rsssh, Strong isn't one of the focuses of TNA, Styles is and at least he got to get SOME offense in, unlike Monty Brown's opponent.  Speaking of that, Brown has given much better Pounces to people, that was a bit of a disappointment, especially if you see his match with Abyss at last years Turning Point.  The guy can put on a good match with the right guy, but showing about a minute of the guy won't really do much for you right away, especially with his Serengeti stuff. 

Styles wasnt trying to tell a story with this match.  See his matches with Daniels or Samoa Joe for that.  This was a 5-8 minute showcase of his offense to an audience that has never seen him before.  Think about it that way, since thats how it was intended.  It wasn't intended to be a marquee match up or a PPV build up against Strong, it was intended as a Styles showcase so it's ok in my opinion to let Styles show just a portion of his amazing offense to a new crowd. 

The 3 way dance could have been better, I agree.  If you watch the PPV's TNA has put on in this past, this match pales in comparison, but at least it shows that its going to be fast paced, shows moves you've never seen before and has guys that are willing to go balls out, which is more than you'll see on WWE TV these days from the cruisers, which is no fault of their own. 

Jarrett and Nash on top, while I don't WANT them on top, is only to show the world that is tuning in for the first time (which most of are marks) that this is where these guys have been lately and while you might not care, I'm sure you've seen or spoken to enough marks that happen to like Nash or the Dudleys to show enough interest in it.  If you put it on fresh faces right away, you have to showcase them...instead, give them a build first. 

Dames

I know Strong is big, but he isnt a loser either.

Ill take your word on the 3 way Dance and the Alfa Male.

In regards to AJ, I have seen a lot of his stuff, and it was the same then. Its fundamentally what is wrong with him, he is not a real wrestler. He is this spot monkey who throws in his gymnastics to fool people into thinking he is great. He is RVD.

And with Jarrett and Nash, you cant have it both ways. Either your creating a new fed for WWE fans to see their old stars, but in a better light. Or your creating new fans from guys like Joe and Styles. Trying for both will probably make you fail at both.

So inorder to make the tag team division strong who will be the weekly jobber mix teams of David Young, Cassidy O'Reilly, Lance Hoyt, Sharkboy, New Yawkers Connection?

Guest Rrrsh
Just stop totally scoring this entire show for a second, especially comparing it to other TNA shows. What I think matters is how the show looked compared to WWE right now, and if you ask me, this show looked leaps and bounds better than most WWE shows of the past good while. Even the three way, while not great, it had action in it that casual fans have just never seen before.

I think this is going to hook people in, just because they aren't used to such different action, even if it wasn't "great" compared to other TNA matches.

Get what I'm saying?

Alot of thsi stuff tonight looked like a rip off of 1999 ECW. The WWE is still way better than this.

Yes, the show is an hour.

The Naturals are a good team, but they aren't anywhere near the level on AMW's match quality, although they have improved lately. They only really got their push since they were associated with Candido around the time of his death but new talent is new talent. Eventually, the tag straps will come back to AMW in order to set up 3D/AMW, I'm sure, but the Naturals are better than all of WWE's tag teams right now.

If anything, the division that TNA is lacking the most in is actually their heavyweight division. The X Division is stacked and the tag division is better than WWE just by the fact that they have 3 legit condenders as opposed to WWE's tag teams whose champs aren't even credible.

Dames

Second, Rsssh, Strong isn't one of the focuses of TNA, Styles is and at least he got to get SOME offense in, unlike Monty Brown's opponent.  Speaking of that, Brown has given much better Pounces to people, that was a bit of a disappointment, especially if you see his match with Abyss at last years Turning Point.  The guy can put on a good match with the right guy, but showing about a minute of the guy won't really do much for you right away, especially with his Serengeti stuff. 

Styles wasnt trying to tell a story with this match.  See his matches with Daniels or Samoa Joe for that.  This was a 5-8 minute showcase of his offense to an audience that has never seen him before.  Think about it that way, since thats how it was intended.  It wasn't intended to be a marquee match up or a PPV build up against Strong, it was intended as a Styles showcase so it's ok in my opinion to let Styles show just a portion of his amazing offense to a new crowd. 

The 3 way dance could have been better, I agree.  If you watch the PPV's TNA has put on in this past, this match pales in comparison, but at least it shows that its going to be fast paced, shows moves you've never seen before and has guys that are willing to go balls out, which is more than you'll see on WWE TV these days from the cruisers, which is no fault of their own. 

Jarrett and Nash on top, while I don't WANT them on top, is only to show the world that is tuning in for the first time (which most of are marks) that this is where these guys have been lately and while you might not care, I'm sure you've seen or spoken to enough marks that happen to like Nash or the Dudleys to show enough interest in it.  If you put it on fresh faces right away, you have to showcase them...instead, give them a build first. 

Dames

I know Strong is big, but he isnt a loser either.

Ill take your word on the 3 way Dance and the Alfa Male.

In regards to AJ, I have seen a lot of his stuff, and it was the same then. Its fundamentally what is wrong with him, he is not a real wrestler. He is this spot monkey who throws in his gymnastics to fool people into thinking he is great. He is RVD.

And with Jarrett and Nash, you cant have it both ways. Either your creating a new fed for WWE fans to see their old stars, but in a better light. Or your creating new fans from guys like Joe and Styles. Trying for both will probably make you fail at both.

AJ is NOT RVD as AJ does have a much better concept in terms of selling and his offense isn't completely ludicris or weapons based. His spots are spectacular, but he can mat wrestle a hell of a lot better. Tonight was about showcasing his style and pizass (sp?), not his substance. Wait til his 30 min IronMan with Daniels before you write him off. As someone who's watched AJ before his TNA time, believe me, I wouldn't sing his praises if he was nothing but a spot monkey.

As for Jarrett and Nash, like I said in the internet show, you can't put the title on a fresh face just yet. You want SOME familiarility while you introduce guys you WANT on top so when it happens, you're satisfied. I dont' expect Nash to win, hell, I don't expect anyone to beat Jarrett for at least 4-6 mos...but when someone does, I expect it to be someone new and fresh and I'll be pissed if its not.

I enjoyed it, definitely a breath of fresh air from WWE recently. However, I have a few grievances:

- Monty Brown really didn't do much for me and I don't know if I can buy The Pounce as a legit finisher. He played for the Pats though, so yay.

- The sound was kind of wacky, with the music and crowd drowing out Tenay and West sometimes (and they need to calm down a little bit themselves)

- The main event wasn't the best choice of match with Matt Hardy vs. Rhino. I would have used guys that wouldn't remind people of a mid-first hour RAW match, possibly the three way since they want to put the X Division over more.

Still, not a bad re-introduction for me (watched a few PPVs in the early days). Hopefully we get longer matches from now on, because a good 10-15 minute match a week would really hook people in.

I thought it was a good start for TNA. When they first panned to the crowd, I got a WCW Saturday night feel to it, but watching the matches I noticed they made the soundstage look bigger.

Not comparing the show to past TNA shows, the 3 way was amazing. Sabins legs hitting the guardrail was crazy. Thank God TNA is back on television, cause I missed it terribly!

You mean Jeff, don't you PK?

Monty is actually a Goldberg-esque phenomenon. Not a great worker, but explosive enough and actually more charismatic to get you into him. He actually works better if he's NOT in a "squash jobber" mode. That was part of my fear when I heard he was going in with a 30 second squash tonight.

Hardy vs. Rhino is your typical Raw midcard main event and not what I would have chosen as the main, but you want to get your "names" out there, I guess.

Don West, although he really, really tried, isn't a great commentator, but Tenay really makes up for him and he's better than Ross/Lawler together.

I just want people to give the product a chance and not write it off immediately, since this was 10x better than WCW was in its dying days and they still pulled in relately decent numbers for a cable station at the time. WWE needs competition. Period.

Dames

Uh....no. Matt signed a one-night deal with TNA and literally morphed into his brother for the match, don't you remember? He might not have the charisma, but the guy can shape-shift like a mo-fo.

ANYWAY, continue discussing this fine wrestling program tonight and ignore Dames' getting everything wrong-ness.

Uh....no. Matt signed a one-night deal with TNA and literally morphed into his brother for the match, don't you remember? He might not have the charisma, but the guy can shape-shift like a mo-fo.

ANYWAY, continue discussing this fine wrestling program tonight and ignore Dames' getting everything wrong-ness.

...If you actually witnessed Matt Hardy wrestle for TNA while he was under the no compete clause from WWE, I'd like whatever you were smoking, PK. Especially, since TNA refused to put him on the show once they realized he was just using them.

I'm not trying to come across like a TNA mark...I just want some competition so Vince can have a fire lighted under his ass. I think thats what we all want here, just so wrestling in general can get better.

I'm tired of the SHIT we've gotten from WWE in the last 3-4 years since WCW died.

Dames

Well, I've followed TNA since show one (order quite a few weekly and monthly PPVs over the past 3 1/2 years) and I gotta say I was proud of them today. They really improved the presentation of the show. It looked so much more major league than when they left FSN. For starters, I was so happy they made sure the entrance music and ring annoucements could be heard. That was always a big pet peeve of mine during the FSN era. Also, the new graphics rocked and the slight changes to the Impact Zone were great. In fact, I think they should just make the heel entrance way the entrance. It looks soooooo much better than the face one. Also, the pace of the show was breathtaking. TNA has always gone for that kinda of hectic one hour rush feel, but this was the first time I felt it as a viewer. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire hour. And the packages did a good job of putting the talent over, especially the opening one.

As for the matches, for an introduction show, they did what they had to do. They'll have plenty of time to tell stories. AJ, Monty and Petey all came out looking strong, and while I do think they're blowing their 3D/AMW wad early, it makes sense to put 3D in the ME next week. That should draw any casual viewers back. And I wouldn't be surprised if we got a DQ ending to set up a BFG re-match. AMW needs to fully explain the turn though. The crowd was hot, which helped. I don't think they're going be able to keep Monty heel much longer judging by the reaction he got. Here's hoping Kip eats a Pounce real soon and Monty destroys him at BFG and begins climbing back up the card. Overall, TNA most certainly made the most of their hour. Here's hoping they can keep it up and Spike gives them another. It'll be interesting to see how the ratings come out on Monday.

I agree. AMW definitely needs to explain the turn, especially since they had tons of reasons to turn on EACH OTHER in the past 3 years.

Anyway, the one thing that bothered me the most (and I know that this may sound silly) was the fact that Konnan said that the fans at the Impact Zone made TNA what it was...and completely disacknowledged the Nashville fans when doing so. Granted, they got burned out but a MAJORITY of TNA's history occured in Nashville, at the Fairgrounds, but when I think about the early days of TNA, I think of the HEEL SECTION~! and the controversy that arose after Raven/Jarrett 1 there. THOSE were the fans that MADE TNA....that paid every week to go there. Not the Universal fans who go there for free with admission to the park.

Nashville does deserve some credit. Hell, I almost considered moving there when I was "offered" a position from Jerry Jarrett and Don West, even though I knew it was BS at the time.. It would have been a bigger transition from The Bronx to Nashville as opposed to The Bronx to Bristol, CT.

Dames

Dames

I loved how on the intro video package they mentioned that Jeff Jarrett has been a world champion everywhere he's been. 1,000 meaningless points to whoever tells me what's wrong with that statement.

OOhhh...Ohhh...I know, I know!

He was never WWE World Champ. \

1000 points to me!

But technically, what does "Intercontinental Champ" means? Are you the champion of whats between the continents (which is the Ocean) or whats IN the continents...cuz that would technically make you a "World Champ", know what I'm saying?'

Then again, that means Chyna was a "world champ" at one point and I don't have enough lunch on lose in my stomach right not to accept that statement.

OR, we'll have JJ vs. Aquaman for the undisputed IC championship.

Dames

He was never WWE World Champ.  \

1000 points to me!

But technically, what does "Intercontinental Champ" means?  Are you the champion of whats between the continents (which is the Ocean) or whats IN the continents...cuz that would technically make you a "World Champ", know what I'm saying?'

Then again, that means Chyna was a "world champ" at one point and I don't have enough lunch on lose in my stomach right not to accept that statement. 

Dames

The problem would be that JJ would no sell the ENTIRE OCEAN since that's what Aquaman would throw at him, then JJ would hit THE STROKE! and get the pin :throwup:

He was never WWE World Champ.  \

1000 points to me!

But technically, what does "Intercontinental Champ" means?  Are you the champion of whats between the continents (which is the Ocean) or whats IN the continents...cuz that would technically make you a "World Champ", know what I'm saying?'

Dames

The problem would be that JJ would no sell the ENTIRE OCEAN since that's what Aquaman would throw at him, then JJ would hit THE STROKE! and get the pin :throwup:

I'd pay to see someone no sell the Entire Ocean. But it would have to be believable.

JJ vs. ALL Ocean Animals in SIX SIDES OF STEEL!

JJ with THE STROKE ON JAWS~!

ONE...TWO...NO!!!

JAWS KICKED OUT!!! JAWS KICKED OUT!!!!!

ORCA WITH A STEEL CHAIR!!!!

ITS OVER~!

Dames

I read the spoilers for the tapings and haven't followed TNA since the weekly PPVs, and tonight I was VERY impressed with what I saw. I'll definly be watching every week, but it's a little easier to catch with Tivo. I'll definitly being showing the first episode to my markish friends to try and get them hooked, and hopefully get a pool of $ together for Bound for Glory. Nash probably can't work, but I marked hard for his entrance and jacknife powerbomb on Jarret.

Hah, I bet there will be some trademark issues with the crowd going "Woo!" on a chop.

Do you understand how trademarks work? It's the same reason why they don't blur WWE title belts in the crowd.