TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

*SPOILERS* First hour on Spike

Well...BFG sure shaped up to look like shit, in my book.

Seriously...would it be THAT HARD to have Raven/Jarrett III in the main event with Raven going over, even to just transition the belt to somebody else? Oh, of course it would. Now it's another Nash shitfest.

Say what you will about Nash, how he's interested in putting the TNA guys over, but fuck that. He's had ONE good match in the last...what? 7 years? And that one good match was against Booker T, and was only good because he got his ass handed to him by Booker. Good on the stick, might draw SOME viewers in, but really...did he draw people to WCW shows in 2000? No. He's one of the reasons WCW went under. So why bring him in at a main-event position?!

Every step forward has two steps backwards. BFG better have a DAMN FUCKING AMAZING undercard (and fuck Ultimate X, since the gimmick is the epitome of overdone in TNA).

Guest MikeSC

TNA makes no damned sense. They have an opportunity to wow fans --- and they put on a show as unmemorable as their usual Impact fare that few people wanted to watch.

Well...BFG sure shaped up to look like shit, in my book.

Seriously...would it be THAT HARD to have Raven/Jarrett III in the main event with Raven going over, even to just transition the belt to somebody else? Oh, of course it would. Now it's another Nash shitfest.

Say what you will about Nash, how he's interested in putting the TNA guys over, but fuck that. He's had ONE good match in the last...what? 7 years? And that one good match was against Booker T, and was only good because he got his ass handed to him by Booker. Good on the stick, might draw SOME viewers in, but really...did he draw people to WCW shows in 2000? No. He's one of the reasons WCW went under. So why bring him in at a main-event position?!

Every step forward has two steps backwards. BFG better have a DAMN FUCKING AMAZING undercard (and fuck Ultimate X, since the gimmick is the epitome of overdone in TNA).

Dixie Carter appears to be as obsessed with 'star power' as Eric Bischoff, and look how well that worked for WCW.

Problem is at the beginning of Eric's administration, Hogan and the "star power" still had drawing legs. Dixie's "stars" don't even have that luxury because they are nothing but albatrosses around TNA's neck.

Kind of weird that TNA was created to get Jeff over as the main star in a wrestling promotion, it's perception changed to something that is different and could provide a decent alternative in the monopoly that is US wrestling, and Jeff is doing whatever he has to to keep the original vision of TNA alive.

Guest MikeSC
Problem is at the beginning of Eric's administration, Hogan and the "star power" still had drawing legs. Dixie's "stars" don't even have that luxury because they are nothing but albatrosses around TNA's neck.

Kind of weird that TNA was created to get Jeff over as the main star in a wrestling promotion, it's perception changed to something that is different and could provide a decent alternative in the monopoly that is US wrestling, and Jeff is doing whatever he has to to keep the original vision of TNA alive.

I'm more than a little upset at TNA. I finally start warming to the idea of them putting on shows --- and they churn out crap on their first shot out the door?

Not that I disagree with you Porter, but to play a little devil's advocate..

Perhaps TNA isn't looking to "blow it's load" even though this is the launch. Perhaps they are waiting until BFG or even a little later before doing something really big anglewise or big match delivery.

We're gettin a match between one of the hottest indy wrestlers in the country and TNA's golden boy, a 3-way match with three very talented juniors as a starter course for X-Division, and a match between two of TNA's most recognizable ex-WWE characters. The third one doesn't do much for me, but the first two are sure as hell reasons to tune in and both the kind of matches you won't see on WWE programming. Add to that Tito Ortiz, Kevin Nash and The Dudley Boys all making appearances, plus all the intro video package stuff they need to do to educate a new audience, and all things considered this looks like a pretty stacked show, at least half of which is likely to take place in the ring.

I think a lot of people complaining about this card on paper had already set themselves up to be disapointed. The point of TV is to hype the matches you sell on PPV, and I'm not sure how much more they could have given away on free TV. Hardy/Rhyno (I know, but keep in mind that it's TNA we're talking about) and Styles/Strong are both PPV caliber matches that they'll likely run with down the line. I'm a Joe mark and would have liked to see more than just a video package on him, but I can understand the approach they're taking, and I'm betting on him being the 3rd guy to face Daniels in week 3, which sounds like a pretty righteous way to start him off on TV. No point would have been served giving him a squash match, and it would take too much time to do a proper Joe match. the PPV match with Liger will be his proper introduction.

Actually, I think the show doesn't look too bad. The new, casual fans are going to see a show of wrestling much different than anything they would see in WWE. I'd watch it if I had cable.

I'm kind of curious as to why you all don't think casual fans would watch the show? I mean, sure if they were smarks who read the spoilers and knew exactly what was going to happen and what to expect then I could understand, but most of the new fans will probably be your garden-variety WWE fan who doesn't read (or even know about) spoilers (or TNA in the first place) and is checking TNA out because of the cool moves they saw during the commercials on Raw.

Personally, I say watch the show and judge it from what you actually see on TV. Matches, angles, and interviews usually come off differently on TV than it does in person. So the things this particular person did not like from watching the show in person you may like because 1.] your opinion may differ from the writer of the spoilers and/or 2.] that segment may have come off better on TV than it did in person.

Sorry if the above made no sense, it was 4:00 AM when I wrote this and I was exhausted.

Perhaps they are waiting until BFG or even a little later before doing something really big anglewise or big match delivery.

That'd be a brave move - their timeslot is far from ideal, hoping that they get a second chance to woo viewers may be overly optimistic.

I honestly thought (and hoped) that TNA were going to embarrass the fuck out of the WWE by putting on a blow away debut that'd make the Homecoming gig look like shit, but now....

Maybe that was always too much to hope for but TNA have the crew to put on a stunning hour of television and I'm at a loss as to why they didn't decide to do so right out of the gate.

How about that one: TNA stacks the debut show, wrestling classics all over the place, everybody loves how great the first Impact was. Week two, what should they do? Give away more potentially money making matches? To me, this represents poor booking. While the debut show should be good it should not be anything spectacular because you are running the risk of setting a high bar and when people came back the next week and the line-up is not as stacked they would naturally get disappoitned. This show that we have right now sounds like it makes much more sense. Instead of setting a very high standard TNA focus on showcasing their product to the new fans + a couple of surpises. Dudleyz, Ortiz and Nash alone should make people tune in next week to see how their development in TNA goes. And then Gail Kim would debut, storylines would get furthened and hopefully folks would stick around and watch the show. To me, this sounds way better than stacking your debut show with great matches. Ok, you`ll do that but what next? You can`t stack your shows every week! That would be an overkill. While the first two Impacts are far from perfect I think they are doing a very good job of showcasing the TNA product.

How about that one: TNA stacks the debut show, wrestling classics all over the place, everybody loves how great the first Impact was. Week two, what should they do?

That's not an unfair point, the reality is they probably should've been aiming for somewhere between the two extremes.

Their debut show just looks do disappintingly blah, though hopefully it'll look better than it reads as this will be their big chance to make an impression with the viewers drawn by the ad campaign.

Bps and I used to have some great back and forths back when TNA started off with those awful weekly PPVs, I'm dying for TNA to do well on Spike as I can't stand the current WWE product.

Yeh, I somewhat agree. They should have added one more BIG match. Rhino vs Hardy kind of fits the BIG match category. And while I`m no fan of non-finishes it does make some sense to have it end in a no contest (you want to keep both guys strong, save this match for a future ppv, and with the afterward interference give the fans a glimpse of what the Monster`s Ball match would be - CHAOS!). Another thing I like about the first two Impacts are the guys that are actually used in the main events. Week 1 - Rhino & Hardy (both are well-known and from a mainstream point of veiw have good chance of keeping the people interested). Week two - Dudleyz & AMW (this match I consider to be somewhat of a mistake - they should have saved it for ppv me thinks - but having the Dudleyz in the main event does make sense and besides AMW gets some good main event exposure). Both weeks the main event features guys that do have some mainstream drawing power and at least on paper should be able to pull off better ratings that say AJ, Monty or Joe would. Makes sense to put guys that the mainstream knows in the main event while slowly introducing the mainstream to your new stars. But overall, even though slightly disappointing the first two Impacts do makes sense and sound like good shows. Well, in my opinion that is.

I don't understand how people can proclaim this show as "shit" by reading a few lines in a report. How about you wait until you actually, you know, see it?

Guest J-Man

The show looks fine, but the Jarrett vs. Nash match does not. Bound For Glory is supposed to be the Superbowl of TNA Wrestling. So, the idea of saving a big matchup for a later time doesn't seem to fit that logic. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have a Nash vs. Jarrett match ever, even if I would rather they didn't, it just doesn't scream biggest show match.

For Wrestlemania style matchups you need a big building, especially if the match itself is poor. Had they built an amazing story for Nash vs. Jarrett, I would accept that, but they haven't. What we've had is an amazing re-built for Jarrett vs. Raven II, a good slow re-build for Jarrett vs. Monty (not finished building imo), and a fine Hardy vs. Jarrett build (although I'm VERY glad they didn't use this match).

And now, all I can see is either leaving Raven off the card, or they put him in a match with Monty Brown, which I don't think is a very good idea. It'll only lead to one not having claim at the world title and weakening the already weak heavyweight division. Unless they put Monty up against Kip, and bring back Watts to get his revenge on Raven or something (I hope they don't get any ideas from that. It would make BFG unwatchable even with all the great matches).

Raven should interject himself into Nash/Jarrett, methinks.

Seriously...WHY NASH VS. JARRETT?!?!?!!?!?!? JARRETT IS A MEDIOCRE WORKER AT HIS BEST AND A BORING, REDUNDANT PIECE OF SHIT AT WORST, AND NASH HASN'T HAD A GOOD MATCH IN NEARLY SEVEN YEARS!

...oh, I know why. "Nash drew in WCW with the nWo...he'll draw now in TNA because people know who he is!" Fuck that. Nash didn't draw shit in the WWF, drew in WCW because of the storyline of the nWo, and didn't draw in WWE when he came back. So he's going to draw now because it's TNA? Balls to that.

Guest Desperate Housewife
Dixie Carter appears to be as obsessed with 'star power' as Eric Bischoff, and look how well that worked for WCW.

Too bad her idea of star power is Jonny Fairplay

You know seriously, as bad as Nash Might have drawn in the WWE and when he came back, WHAT has Raven ever drawn? I mean, I like the guy, but from a business standpoint, he has fans that will tune in anyway, and will buy his merchandise, but what casual fan or new fan is Raven going to draw in? I am still in the camp thinking Jarrett doesn't draw anyone in, but in the eyes of the casual viewer, Nash is still ahead of Raven in terms of drawing power.

I too am hoping that Raven interjects himself. JJ as champ is just ludicrous, and while I've no problem with Nash, having a one-on-one between the two is just plain stupid. Make it a three-way and for God's sake let Raven or Nash walk out with the title (preferably Raven).

I give credit to Nash, he seems invigorated nowadays, and whether he drew or not, he is a "name". But like his fellow "name", Jeff Jarrett, he doesn't need to be at the forefront of a national wrestling promotion. Nash and JJ should work instead on giving the rub to guys like Monty Brown. The same could be said for Raven, but he's much more compelling, and its not the same-old-shit with Raven as it is with Nash or Jarrett. He's just as much a draw as Jarrett or Nash these days, but he's more talented and more interesting.

I too am hoping that Raven interjects himself.  JJ as champ is just ludicrous, and while I've no problem with Nash, having a one-on-one between the two is just plain stupid.  Make it a three-way and for God's sake let Raven or Nash walk out with the title (preferably Raven).

If TNA puts Raven and/or Brown into the match on a later taping, I might change my mind about not ordering BFG.

If I do end up ordering BFG depending on whether TNA does that, I still hope Styles vs. Daniels goes on last, though.

You know seriously, as bad as Nash Might have drawn in the WWE and when he came back, WHAT has Raven ever drawn?  I mean, I like the guy, but from a business standpoint, he has fans that will tune in anyway, and will buy his merchandise, but what casual fan or new fan is Raven going to draw in?  I am still in the camp thinking Jarrett doesn't draw anyone in, but in the eyes of the casual viewer, Nash is still ahead of Raven in terms of drawing power.

With the difference being, of course, that when Raven is given the go-ahead to succeed in a promotion, he does in spades. His first year with WCW? Some of the best television WCW has ever produced. All of his 1995-1997 ECW work? Captivating material. He's the kind of guy that can cut that money promo and make a match that looks to be a throwaway suddenly seem important. He's never been utilized properly on a national level, so why not start with TNA? There's still a whole bunch of "outcasted youths" that watch wrestling, so give them their character, their icon, and push him.

Of course, I'm also in the "BRING TRUTH BACK TO THE MAIN EVENT" camp for similar reasons (replace "outcasted youths" with "urban teens," basically, and ixnay all that WCW/ECW stuff and replace it with June-November '02 in TNA), so what do I know?

its not the same-old-shit with Raven as it is with Nash or Jarrett

It isn't?

I like Raven well enough, but how can anyone not see that he's been going through the motions? Other than the Gathering angle, which was like two years ago, it's been same old same old for Raven, either as a babyface getting the shit beat out of him or a heel beating the shit out of someone, it's the same routine, and it was done better in both ECW and WCW. He has such an established character than I think he's just gotten lazy and coasts on his reputation. And some of his promos are downright embarrasing, nowhere near what Raven was capable of at his peak. Replace the heroin and ecstasy with steroids and you've got the Ultimate Warrior. Those promos are NOT any sort of way to bring in a new audience, they only appeal to pre-existing Raven marks.

This is clearly a case where people can't see the forrest for the trees. Like I said I've been a fan of Levy for a long time, but he's not this ultra hot guy being held back by the man like everyone is making him out to be.

And no, he's NOT a bigger name than Kevin Nash, just accept it.

I didn't say Raven was a bigger name than Nash. I said they were just about the same. Same goes for Jarrett, too. And even if Nash and JJ are bigger than Raven, Raven's the better character.

It's funny how you mentioned Raven's WCW and ECW runs in comparison to his tenure in TNA, as he WAS allowed to stretch in those companies, but he's been given shit to work with in TNA. With the atrocities that TNA's booking teams have done over the last three years, its hard to say that its Raven's fault that he can't get any traction. They let him drift around aimlessly, and on the occasion when he DOES have a good direction, they pull the rug out from under him at the worst time possible. Note: this has happened to every worthwhile talent in TNA at one point or another. Compare that to Jeff Jarrett's superstar treatment, and its easy to see why Raven (and damn near everyone else) has floundered in TNA as a big star.

I'm not saying that Raven is a god, although I am a fan of his. Like I said, he's as useful as Jarrett, Nash, and the other name guys. He should be used to give the rub to others. He shouldn't dominate TNA, but if anything, Raven's character hasn't been used ENOUGH in the past. He's not been allowed to stretch his wings and have a bigger role in the ME as the psychopathic and violent heel mastermind that he plays so well. If they were to allow him to have a bigger role, like when he first came to TNA and before Jarrett squashed him, he could have some worthwhile fueds. This guy has had some of the best fueds ever with guys like Dreamer, Sandman, Benoit, and DDP. Give him a better platform, and he can have the same awesome fueds again in TNA, and legitimately put over new guys who can take the helm. Jarrett can't, won't, and hasn't done that, which is why it was a mistake to put the belt on him.

Nash has redeemed himself in my eyes with his overall work in TNA. I think he could do just about the same job as Raven if he were NWA champ. He could have a solid, lasting fued with a new guy, legitimately get him over, and pass the torch. Whew, rant over.

It's funny how you mentioned Raven's WCW and ECW runs in comparison to his tenure in TNA, as he WAS allowed to stretch in those companies, but he's been given shit to work with in TNA. With the atrocities that TNA's booking teams have done over the last three years, its hard to say that its Raven's fault that he can't get any traction. They let him drift around aimlessly, and on the occasion when he DOES have a good direction, they pull the rug out from under him at the worst time possible. Note: this has happened to every worthwhile talent in TNA at one point or another. Compare that to Jeff Jarrett's superstar treatment, and its easy to see why Raven (and damn near everyone else) has floundered in TNA as a big star.

The thing is, Raven DOES have creative control in TNA, he controls the direction of his character and the details of his programs. Obviously he can't just say, "give me the belt and let me be the top heel," but his programs and all that are most definitely designed by him. They've used his programs with Mitchell, Sandman, Sabu, Abyss, etc. as a "special attraction" type thing, it's almost like Raven has had his own little corner of TNA to play in most of the time, because he does draw in a niche audience and doesn't need a title to do so. Having the belt during the dark period was his reward for bringing all of that to the table.

*EDIT* and WCW was much the same way, give Raven his space to do his thing, off in his own little corner of the company, and try not to get him too involved with anything important because he's his own draw. Difference is, Raven was a much hipper, younger, more motivated performer at that time, and the results were much better.