TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Brock to compete in New Japan

What else is there to actually talk about? The documents relating to his release are sealed. It's likely he will win the IWGP title at some point, even though the promotion is in decline. We have no clue as to his ability to perform pro wrestling right now since it has been a fair while since he has tried. He has changed his image and that is the most noticable thing to address seeing as there is little to no chance of us finding anything else out in the immediate future regarding NJPW's plans for him or the direction Brock wants to go in.

What else is there to actually talk about?

How about what Brock could do in New Japan, seeing as how it looks almost certain he is wrestling there? How about what this means to anyone else in the future who wants a release from WWE while under contract? How about what this means is the actual strength of the non-complete clauses in WWE contracts, as opposed to their perceived strength. There is a lot to talk about here, if people were able or willing to use their brains. I know that's a tall order for a lot of people around here, but give it a try.

The documents relating to his release are sealed.

That doesn't stop the people who have common sense from using it. Assuming Brock has obtained some kind of release from WWE, it's logical to conclude it allows him to compete in Japan, and just as logical to conclude that, given how WWE feels, it precludes Brock wrestling in North America.

We have no clue as to his ability to perform pro wrestling right now since it has been a fair while since he has tried.

Common sense says he'll be rusty to some degree. That much should be obvious.

...seeing as there is little to no chance of us finding anything else out in the immediate future regarding NJPW's plans for him or the direction Brock wants to go in.

Assuming Brock is wrestling in New Japan beyond the Dome event and is there for any length of time, and that you yourself have said New Japan is in decline, is it really that hard to work out what New Japan's plans for Brock would be? Really, is it?

This thread belongs in the Other Promotions folder, because it deals with Brock wrestling in a promotion that isn't WWE.

All the fluff has been removed. Let's make sure it stays that way.

Brock's release is different to anyone else seeking one. He was not being paid by them but forced to stay in a contractual agreement that was unreasonable. I doubt WWE will be foolish enough to write such a clause in ever again. Also since Brock apparently wants to participate in "realistic wrestling" I doubt he has any desire to wrestle on American soil right now.

There isn't much for Brock to do in NJPW except squash some people, get the belt and then drop the belt.

Considering the photo shows him standing next to a ring he may come back full force, he may not. No one will know until he actually performs.

NJPW's plans change every 6 months. It is hard to predict what they will do in the long term at any time these days, although if they are paying Brock the wage WWE would not obviously he is going to wear the belt at some point otherwise it will have been a poor investment.

Until further booking details or more press releases are available to indicate what direction NJPW actually want to go in with Lesnar, given their erratic booking in the last few years, I'd say it is somewhat hard to predict which way they wish to use Brock. For all we know he could end up on a K-1 HEROS show to try legitimise his image in Japan or he could bomb and be released. We'll have to see how things turn out.

If you have a crystal ball, please feel free to use it and enlighten us.

Brock's release is different to anyone else seeking one. He was not being paid by them but forced to stay in a contractual agreement that was unreasonable. I doubt WWE will be foolish enough to write such a clause in ever again. Also since Brock apparently wants to participate in "realistic wrestling" I doubt he has any desire to wrestle on American soil right now.

That isn't the point. The point is the nature of the no-compete clause Brock had when compared to the no-compete clauses other guys got. If Brock goes to court and makes his non-compete look restrictive enough to be voided, who knows if the judge might take a look at the normal no-compete clause and decide to take a look at that and maybe strike that down too. WWE can't take that chance.

There isn't much for Brock to do in NJPW except squash some people, get the belt and then drop the belt.

That's some really deep insight right there.

Considering the photo shows him standing next to a ring he may come back full force, he may not. No one will know until he actually performs.

He hasn't wrestled in the ring for over a year. He is going to be rusty, without a doubt. He might have that force and be full of fire, but when you haven't wrestled for over a year, you don't come back as if you've never left.

NJPW's plans change every 6 months. It is hard to predict what they will do in the long term at any time these days, although if they are paying Brock the wage WWE would not obviously he is going to wear the belt at some point otherwise it will have been a poor investment.

With Brock, they've got a guy they can build around, and they've got the type of guy they love to build around. He's big, got strength, he can work his ass off, and he has tons of talent. Is it really hard to predict what New Japan would do with someone like that?

Until further booking details or more press releases are available to indicate what direction NJPW actually want to go in with Lesnar, given their erratic booking in the last few years, I'd say it is somewhat hard to predict which way they wish to use Brock. For all we know he could end up on a K-1 HEROS show to try legitimise his image in Japan or he could bomb and be released. We'll have to see how things turn out.

With their new direction, including relations with NOAH being 'frozen', it's unlikely they'll work with K-1 HEROES, especially not when it comes to possibly screwing up the closest thing they've got to a sure fire thing.

Just curious, Why did they decide to debut him in a 3 Way of that level as opposed to a singles match where he can squash a semi-big name and go over?

I understand that he's clearly rusty but he can't be too rusty to do a squash...

Best guess is that they didn't know for sure they had Brock beyond the one date when the match was made, and wanted him in the biggest match they could put together.

WWE asked on 8/30 to get everything sealed in the lawsuit by Brock Lesnar and WWE’s countersuit against Brock Lesnar, and on 9/20 it was approved. So neither side is allowed to say a thing. Most likely, something happened right before 8/30 that damaged WWE’s position and they were trying to keep it quiet. Judge Christopher Droney approved the order and then ordered the case to Judge William I. Garfinkel for a settlement conference. That is a loss to WWE, as they had requested until November for discovery and it had been granted, which meant the earliest the case could have been resolved was then. Something happened that is being kept under wraps, but ahs led to WWE dropping its attempt to keep Lesnar from wrestling until 2010 when it became clear it was not going to be fully upheld. At press time it has not been fully settled, but it is clear from the settlement talks and order that WWE can’t stop Lesnar from working for New Japan (from those close to the situation, that was resolved around 9/9, just before New Japan made the announcement), and sources close to the situation say when Lesnar made the deal, he was fully aware WWE couldn’t stop him. Whether this settlement ends up with Lesnar agreeing he won’t wrestle for TNA but will be allowed to work in Japan and for MMA, or he’ll get a full fledged dropping of the non-compete is unknown. At press time, TNA officials had no knowledge of whether they could use him, but they expected to talk to New Japan officials to see if it was possible, when the settlement was completed. Even those close to the case aren’t talking, and with the gag order, they won’t be. The speculation was that WWE’s latest contract offer to Lesnar was for far less than the $1 million per year downside of his original seven-year contract (Lesnar did publicly call the contract offer insulting, while Jim Ross in his Ross Report simply stated that he felt it was very fair), and that turned into a major tactical error as it appeared they were offering him less than the market value of his services that they themselves had established for him, and thus there was no reason to uphold the non-compete. The timings makes sense as Lesnar turning down the offer came right about the time the judge stopped the case cold and ordered both sides to settle rather than go forward, which was a victory for Lesnar’s side as it ended WWE’s staling him out until he starved tactics. I never believed there was any way possible WWE was to be able to keep Lesnar from working elsewhere for that length of time unless they were willing to pay him the same terms of the contract he left under. It’s funny, because when Lesnar appeared to publicly fold, if this was his strategy (and I don’t know if it was or it just turned out to be), for a guy whose rep in this case was making all of the stupid moves in negotiations, he sure outsmarted WWE in the end.

From this weeks Observer.

If WWE feels Brock outsmarted them, you know they’ll embarrass him like crazy if he ever returns.

Damn. That is pretty much fucking genius. You can't tell a guy he can't work for anyone else except you when you refuse to pay him fair market value. in this case...the WWE set the bar and he fucked them over using that. Goddamn.

I think he looks better now than he did in the WWE. He looks more lean.

Guest Biggles
If WWE feels Brock outsmarted them, you know they’ll embarrass him like crazy if he ever returns.

If Brock outsmarts them and feels he'll get embarrassed if he returns, he won't return. Why go back to be jobbed out?

From the Observer site..

Lesnar gave both guys F-5s. Don't expect him in WWE rings soon. Because WWE does own intellectual property rights to F-5, he had to come up with a new name for his finisher. "The Verdict" which only rubs "the verdict" in WWE's face.

This makes me and God smile.

Guest Biggles

This is purely based on speculation but now Lesnar is working fro NJPW, and NJPW have a "working relationship" with TNA, anyone have any thoughts if Lesnar could make an appearance with TNA via NJPW?

This is purely based on speculation but now Lesnar is working fro NJPW, and NJPW have a "working relationship" with TNA, anyone have any thoughts if Lesnar could make an appearance with TNA via NJPW?

Depending on how the court case shakes out, the thinking is that Lesnar may be shared between NJPW and TNA, since wrestling in Japan isn't a full-time gig (they only tour for a couple weeks at a time).

I don't know if anyone else has gotten a chance to download the match, but I did last night...300+ megs, but damnit, I have DSL now.

Anyway...The match wasn't overly awesome, but it was quite the spectacle. Right from the opening bell, both Chono & Fujita were obviously working the match in such a way that made Brock look like GOD. They double teamed him, they tried tactics, and nothing worked at all. Everytime he's hit them, they'd go into oversell mode that I haven't seen in Japan often. It seemed at one point Chono almsot started crying from Brock's shoulder rams. Fujita gets shit from some circles, but he bumped his ass off for Brock.

The finish was actually built to. Brock went for the "Verdict" many times, but it kept getting blocked. He finally hit Fujita with it, who sold it by fucking BOUNCING like a ball before rolling to the floor, and then he murdered Chono with it, and the crowd even somewhat counted along.

I think in total, Brock took like...two moves from Fujita & Chono. Brock was also in a bitching heel mode too. Even Gaijins are usual respectful of title presentations...Brock just had a pissed look, motioned them to give him his shit right NOW, and even went as far as to yank the IWGP title from their hands.

Brock is going to be HUUUGE in Japan if they keep this up. When you can convince two of Japan's biggest stars to pinball for someone...You're onto something.

Guest fanofcoils

I believe that belt is the tier 2 title and the triple crown one is tier 1. If this is true, then I want to see what a brand new triple crown belt would look like.

Guest fanofcoils

Why? Does it bother you? lol What can't you take? IWGP is tier 2 I believe, at least I heard it was a year or two ago, is this correct? What a wasteful comment to put there saying "I can't take the tier 1/2 stuff". Did I at least make a good comment, if not what did you think about it?

Why?  Does it bother you?  lol  What can't you take?  IWGP is tier 2 I believe, at least I heard it was a year or two ago, is this correct?  What a wasteful comment to put there saying "I can't take the tier 1/2 stuff".  Did I at least make a good comment, if not what did you think about it?

I think you're horrible. But that's not what you were asking.

...Ya know, considering the Triple Crown is three titles, I doubt we'll ever see a "Redesign"...

Anyway, Brock & Choshu being in NJPW sorta makes me hopeful. NJPW's been a wasteland of poor booking, and horrible looking shows for ages now. Hopefully, with a Champion that could go down as one of the best in company history (Provided they USE Brock right...), and with more intelligent booking, they can pull stuff around.

...and yeah, I know the likihood of that happening is about zero.