TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

And the ratings are in....

Well...the Observer posted Saturdays ratings and it looks like TNA beat expectations for Impact's debut. Here's the info:

TNA Wrestling’s Saturday night debut on Spike TV drew a .8 rating, which translates to roughly 850,000 viewers. The show remained consistent in the ratings throughout the show, peaking in the final quarter-hour at a .82 for the segment involving Team 3-D, Kevin Nash, Jeff Jarrett, etc. The show drew a .7 audience among males 18 to 34 and 18 to 49. The strongest viewer demographic was between ages 25 to 34 at .9. The median viewer age was 35, which is slightly older than what WWE’s Monday Night Raw usually draws.

Still no what on the replay yet, but you got think Spike and TNA have to be in heaven after that. Didn't they say they expected a 0.5? Does anyone know what Velocity averaged over its run? And how much of that audience did you expect to come back for week 2?

Guest *KNK*

It's right where they were expecting the ratings to read (slightly higher in fact) and it's consistant to what Velocity was drawing at the end. The first week ratings are generally meaningless, it's what week two draws that is the true indicator.

Velocity was pretty consistently doing a .5 week to week, so with that said, this is good news for sure.

I would expect the replay on Monday night to probably not get much, perhaps around a .5 or so. I doubt Ultimate Fighter did nearly as good as well without that Raw lead-in before it.

Guest MikeSC
I wonder how Impact's rating compares to all the UFC stuff they were showing on Saturday.

I don't think they're all that comparable. The audiences for both have little crossover.

Considering it was on at 11 pm on Saturday and showed a big improvement from Velocity's rating, it *is* a great number. It's about 3x what they did on FSN. The rating held through at the show (and went up a bit in the last quarter hour), which is a tough thing to do in the 11-12 pm slot.

Just to give you an idea on where they're at... this is the rating ECW was falling in for most of 2000. With the replay added in, they'll be reaching an audience similar to WCW Saturday Night at the end. :headbang:

0.8 isn't very good for their most hyped show ever, a lot of advertisement on Spike, and months of internet hype, IMO.

IMO, you have to consider where they are coming from. Wasn't the highest FSN rating something like .25 or .3? I'd say doubling your audience is a pretty good deal. And though it was their most hyped show ever, it still didn't get the promotion of, say the homecoming. So I'm sure with those factors in mind, but companies are happy with that. Especially since it is in the range of what WWE was drawing in the same slot. If TNA can consistently do that (stay in the range of what WWE drew), TNA could logically ask for a primetime slot at some point. Whether or not that'd be Mondays remains to be seen, but I think that's TNA's goal with this. I don't think they'll draw anything close to the 3.0 plus even with a 2 hour primetime slot, but i think a low 2.0 would be a feasible goal for them. But, I know that's getting ahead of things. I agree that the key will be how much of that initial audience is still there after a month or even next week. The XFL taught us that the first show's number is based on the hype preceding it, and the next show's number is based on the impression the viewers took away from the first show. Either way, I don't see how anyone can be down on that number for week 1 in that timeslot. Could be just me though.

Getting a 0.8 on a late Saturday night is pretty fucking respectable. Saturday night, especially on Spiketv, is a ratings black hole so even getting close to a 1.0 is extremely positive news.

Especially since it is in the range of what WWE was drawing in the same slot.

The last time Velocity drew a 0.8 was April 24, 2004. It's solidly beating what all 3 WWE B-Shows did at the end (even with Heat being a PPV lead-in show a lot of the time).

As a competitor to WWE (which they want to be), 0.8 is not good. It's good for what they are now, which is a newly-expanding Jeff Jarrett vehicle disguised as a national promotion stuck on a late Saturday night slot (which I don't even know why people think it's a ratings abyss, I mean more people are likely to be up at this time than they would on a Tuesday in the same slot).

As a competitor to WWE (which they want to be), 0.8 is not good. It's good for what they are now, which is a newly-expanding Jeff Jarrett vehicle disguised as a national promotion stuck on a late Saturday night slot (which I don't even know why people think it's a ratings abyss, I mean more people are likely to be up at this time than they would on a Tuesday in the same slot).

Yeah but the argument is that alot of people arent home on Sat nights versus, say a Tuesday night.

Considering the timeslot, it is still good even in terms of competition if you ask me.

11 pm isn't a very good time slot for ANY day of the week. A lot of people don't stay up that late because they're up for work at 5-7 am and they want to actually get to sleep at some point

Saturday's are worse because even though people may be up at that time of day your target audience is probably out doing SOMETHING besides staying at home (Heck even when i'm at home on a saturday night, I'd rather be watching a movie w/ my fiance or something else)

I'll almost certainly never tune in on the saturday show, but on the flipside will 100% watch at least some of the monday 12-1 replay (and would gladly flip between RAW and impact if it aired at 9 or 10 :))

Guest karlitoapple

This isn't higher than anything WWE drew in the same time slot this year. They drew around a 1.3 rating for the Hall of Fame show. What's interesting is that the median age is said to be slightly older than what Raw does. So this shows me that this show drew mostly a different fanbase and not the usual WWE viewers. This is almost like WCW where they drew an older audience than WWE.

This isn't higher than anything WWE drew in the same time slot this year.

Umm, the last few months of Velocity have been averaging a .5. Yes, this is higher than most weeks of Velocity, in fact its better than any rating in this Spike TV timeslot since April of last year.

Getting a 0.8 on a late Saturday night is pretty fucking respectable. Saturday night, especially on Spiketv, is a ratings black hole so even getting close to a 1.0 is extremely positive news.

I was just going to note that. How many people in the 18-35 demographic stay home on a Saturday night? Maybe half?

I think the rating was great news for TNA. I expected a .5 and would have considered that decent.

Guest karlitoapple
This isn't higher than anything WWE drew in the same time slot this year.

Umm, the last few months of Velocity have been averaging a .5. Yes, this is higher than most weeks of Velocity, in fact its better than any rating in this Spike TV timeslot since April of last year.

I'm aware of Velocity averaging that number in recent months. I'm just saying that WWE did top that TNA number one time this year.

I got that the WWE Hall of Fame (April 2, 2005) drew a 1.3 from a wrestling information archive site.

Thought maybe that was what you meant but you said this wasnt higher than ANYTHING WWE did in that timeslot, which was not true.

Take this for what it's worth, but the torch says that Spike was hoping for a 1.0, so they might be a little disappointed.

mpact's debut on Spike TV on Saturday night drew a 0.8 rating. That was on the low end of expectations for Spike TV officials, who were hoping as recently as last night in Las Vegas when on site for the UFC special that the Impact debut would draw a 1.0 rating or better. That may have been based on enthusiasm for the quality of the show TNA produced for the network.

Spike TV officials, while hoping for better, are saying it was a great start to build on. Last week, Spike TV was saying they believe whatever the first rating was, the key would be what it is drawing in two months.

The bright side for TNA is that it drew better than WWE Velocity had been recently at the same time on the same channel, plus it held the entire audience of men 18-49 compared to UFC's The Ultimate Fighter episode that preceded it.

Impact from a quarter hour perspective held steady the first 45 minutes and then peaked in the second half, ending with a final quarter hour rating of 0.82. Overall, though, the rating was basically the same start to finish.

Total viewership was 850,000. Among men 18-49, the rating of 0.7. Among all adults 18-49, the rating was 0.7.

Ratings for last night's UFC two hour live special and Raw are not available yet, but are expected later today.

Thoughts?

Meltzer has said quite a few times Spike would be very happy with a 0.5 rating from TNA on their first show (and he actually has some network sources unlike Keller).

It's a good sign if Spike TV officials believe in TNA and were very pleased with the first show quality-wise, but they weren't expecting, nor realistically hoping for a 1.0 or greater with the first show.

0.8 at 11pm on Saturday is a decent rating for the timeslot. The scary thing is that the Jarrett/AMW/Nash/Team 3-D segment was the highest rated, which means for the forseeable future, Jarrett and Co. aren't going anywhere, but also lends credence to the theory that you do need a few people with recognizability out there, at least at first.

As has been pointed out through this thread, the keys are going to be if they can A) sustain or even build on .8 and B) if they can garner more PPV buys with national exposure. Point A is important if they hope to get out of their current graveyard TV slot and Point B is important to them from the business standpoint because, like WWE, they don't get any ad revenue from their shows.

Yeah, Spike has seen a rating over 1.0 on a Saturday night at 11pm like once EVER. It's a dead slot. There is no way they could have been expecting a 1.0. No chance in hell.

0.8 at 11pm on Saturday is a decent rating for the timeslot. The scary thing is that the Jarrett/AMW/Nash/Team 3-D segment was the highest rated, which means for the forseeable future, Jarrett and Co. aren't going anywhere, but also lends credence to the theory that you do need a few people with recognizability out there, at least at first.

This is very true. Jarrett, Hardy, Rhino, etc will stick around near the top of the card for the foreseeable future. I take that slight bump to indicate that some channel flippers saw some familar guys and stuck around. Hopefully that segment was hot enough to get them to come back, and this kind of does validate the star power argument. The thing that makes this segment different than anything TNA has done before is that homegrown talent stands to get a real rub. With a slick video package hyping AMW and their dominance, they'll get a serious rub from being presented as being on 3D's level. In fact, I think that match would have drawn better if they'd done a package on how AMW was super faces with great success and turned just recently, so that new fans see that they are a serious team and not JJ's new Southern Justice. As it stands, they just kinda expected new viewers to take their word for it being a "dream match." But that's neither here nor there at this point. Ideally, the same rub will happen when Monty is presented on Jarrett's level, and not as a "one move wonder" which JJ "brilliantly" harped on last time.