TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

And the ratings are in....

I'd expect the replay to match or top the Saturday show. I know I got word of mouth out there to some friends about the replay, plus it was coming off of Ultimate Fight Night/RAW if viewers could find it from USA.

.8 is phenomenal for a Saturday Night. WWE was doing .5.. TNA did a .8... that's a great rating. I know MOST people arent even home saturdays.. I stayed home this saturdy to watch, but I can't imagine all marks doing that.

Trust me, if this got say.. and 8-9 PM timeslot on Tuesday, the ratings would be 2.0 at the least most likely.

I think the ratings in two months will tell how its doing, honestly. But TNA is going to have to create some good storylines to suck viewers in and keep them there. They can't rely on the X Division to dazzle people and the name guys to do the same old schtick and expect people to stay enthralled.

TNA has been doing storylines PPV-to-PPV for the longest time now, and unless they get a long-term direction, its going to be FSN all over again. They desperately need some good story ideas instead of just setting up each PPV card and throwing wrestlers at each other every month. Title chases, blood fueds, stuff that lasts more than a few weeks before they move onto the next thing. TNA isn't going to get any new viewers if they're trying to impress people with the "flippy shit" and Jeff Jarrett crooning about how great he is.

.8 is phenomenal for a Saturday Night. WWE was doing .5.. TNA did a .8... that's a great rating. I know MOST people arent even home saturdays.. I stayed home this saturdy to watch, but I can't imagine all marks doing that.

Trust me, if this got say.. and 8-9 PM timeslot on Tuesday, the ratings would be 2.0 at the least most likely.

I don't know about a 2.0, but I can guarentee that the quality of programming on tuesdays is SO bad, that it would be a great night to put it on.

My fiance and I often browse around for something to watch, and one night I was bored and counted no fewer than 8 reality shows airing at the exact same time.

Really crappy tv :P

I don't know about a 2.0, but I can guarentee that the quality of programming on tuesdays is SO bad, that it would be a great night to put it on.

My fiance and I often browse around for something to watch, and one night I was bored and counted no fewer than 8 reality shows airing at the exact same time.

Really crappy tv :P

Watch FOX. Good shows on Tuesday night on FOX. The rest of the channels, just avoid em.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Velocity on at 10pm as well? Which is honestly a much better spot to be in than that 11pm spot.

Watch FOX. Good shows on Tuesday night on FOX. The rest of the channels, just avoid em.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Velocity on at 10pm as well? Which is honestly a much better spot to be in than that 11pm spot.

Bones and House just aren't my cup of tea on television honestly (Though House is an -extremely- good show, I just don't really get into it no matter how much I think Omar Epps is an awesome actor)

Good start - Spike need to put down the crack pipe if they were seriously entertaining the notion that they'd pull in a 1. They put a lot of advertising muscle behind it mind, so maybe they weren't wrong in expecting something a little higher.

As someone said, next week's rating will be more interesting, personally I don't think they put on a strong enough show first time out but we'll see what the bulk of the audience thought soon enough.

Guest karlitoapple

Bryan Alvarez posted on his message board that the TNA replay did a 0.5 rating.

The Torch compared Impact to Velocity. Here's what they posted:

-Velocity had been drawing in the 0.4-0.6 range on Spike TV in TNA Impact's new timeslot. TNA Impact doubled the previous week's Velocity number with their premier rating, and was 44 percent higher than the previous four week average for Velocity.

Bryan Alvarez posted on his message board that the TNA replay did a 0.5 rating.

That means a combined 1.3. I believe I saw that the UFC special drew a 1.2 and Spike was happy with that. If true that the viewership would basically be interchangeable, then I think we could see TNA on Monday nights soon enough because it'd be easier to produce TNA every week than UFC. Either that or they gave them 2 hours on another night. Anyway, I'd say that it was a good weekend for everyone involved (Raw drew a 4.4, so WWE is thrilled too).

Highly doubtful little, if any, actually watched the first run show on Sat and the replay both, so all things considered, a .8 and then a .5 on a replay showing is pretty damn good anyway you slice it. Thats basically over a million checking out the first show. Between this and Best Buy now getting TNA DVDs (just saw them today) and probably more licensing in the marketplace down the road, TNA has a right to be very hopeful right now. Now is the time to turn up the creative up ten notches (which I think they have the talent in booking to do) and things could really take off here within years end for TNA.

Guest MikeSC
Considering it was on at 11 pm on Saturday and showed a big improvement from Velocity's rating, it *is* a great number.  It's about 3x what they did on FSN.  The rating held through at the show (and went up a bit in the last quarter hour), which is a tough thing to do in the 11-12 pm slot.

Just to give you an idea on where they're at... this is the rating ECW was falling in for most of 2000.  With the replay added in, they'll be reaching an audience similar to WCW Saturday Night at the end.  :headbang:

Well, for what it's worth, Velocity never got advertised on SpikeTV's highest rated program.

IMO, you have to consider where they are coming from. Wasn't the highest FSN rating something like .25 or .3?

Care to compare audience size for the 2 networks?

And though it was their most hyped show ever, it still didn't get the promotion of, say the homecoming.

Did you miss the months of teaser trailers?

That means a combined 1.3.

Except you can't actually combine them as the crossover for the 2 showings is impossible to determine.

And Monday's rating being lower than Saturday's is a bad sign.

then I think we could see TNA on Monday nights soon enough because it'd be easier to produce TNA every week than UFC.

And draw a lower rating in a program that has an audience with lower disposable income?

It's hard to really see it as any sign. Most viewers are probrably going to want to see the first run show as opposed to the replay. As someone also pointed out elsewhere in this folder, viewers for Impact in general are more likely to watch at 11pm on Saturday night with Sunday ahead as opposed to a replay at midnight on Monday when most people are already in bed for school or work the next day.

Now, if Impact were to move to an earlier monday slot and the monday show be the first run, then I can see the monday rating being lower a bad sign.

That means a combined 1.3. I believe I saw that the UFC special drew a 1.2 and Spike was happy with that.  If true that the viewership would basically be interchangeable, then I think we could see TNA on Monday nights soon enough because it'd be easier to produce TNA every week than UFC.

I think you're getting just a little carried away there - if in, say, two months TNA is doing similar or better numbers...then maybe.

Guest Biggles
I think the ratings in two months will tell how its doing, honestly.  But TNA is going to have to create some good storylines to suck viewers in and keep them there.  They can't rely on the X Division to dazzle people and the name guys to do the same old schtick and expect people to stay enthralled.

TNA has been doing storylines PPV-to-PPV for the longest time now, and unless they get a long-term direction, its going to be FSN all over again.  They desperately need some good story ideas instead of just setting up each PPV card and throwing wrestlers at each other every month.  Title chases, blood fueds, stuff that lasts more than a few weeks before they move onto the next thing.  TNA isn't going to get any new viewers if they're trying to impress people with the "flippy shit" and Jeff Jarrett crooning about how great he is.

To be fair, whether I like what they've done with it all or not, I think that's really what they're trying to build with the Jarrett stuff and the AMW heel turn, throwing d'Amore into the mix as well. They have plenty to work with storyline wise, with Raven at breaking point following the title loss, the X division full of possibilities in terms of storyline progression, and a tag division that looks set to thrive again.

While at times TNA's booking's been shocking, most recently under Dusty, for the most part the new booking team has done really well. The booking from PPV to PPV thing has always been a problem though, but with the tv deal they now have that should, and has to, stop and stop quickly.

No, I saw every commercial and I was quite pleased with the way that Spike pushed TNA. It was much better than anything they've gotten before. I'm just saying Homecoming got ads in USA today. So they didn't get the same push, which I think the person who brought that up was alluding to. Considering the push and the slot, I think the rating was a great start.

Except you can't actually combine them as the crossover for the 2 showings is impossible to determine.

I know that, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that Spike will use that number in selling ads, saying something like the first weekend of TNA had over a million viewers. And like someone else said, it's highly doubtful that more than half the initial audience watched the replay. Hell, I loved the debut, taped it and have watched it at least twice. I said I was gonna watch the replay, but I must have watched the first three minutes and then switched to ESPN.

I wouldn't say so because none of those teasers you talked about mentioned the replay AT ALL. The bulk of that .5 is probably people who heard good feedback from the show and decided to check it out or people who stumbled across it. Drawing a .5 after midnight on a work night with no advertising is very good, IMHO. In fact, I think that's more of testament to the product TNA put out than Saturday's rating, which is more indicative of the effectiveness of the advertising.

If you live on the west coast and have satelite television.

Raw homecoming came on at 5:00 pm and Impact was on at 9:00 pm. Theres no reason a wrestling fan shouldn't watch Impact after RAW under these circumanstances.

Guest MikeSC

No, I saw every commercial and I was quite pleased with the way that Spike pushed TNA. It was much better than anything they've gotten before. I'm just saying Homecoming got ads in USA today. So they didn't get the same push, which I think the person who brought that up was alluding to. Considering the push and the slot, I think the rating was a great start.

Considering that the WWE audience wasn't WATCHING USA when those ads hit --- but TNA's audience WAS watching Spike, it's not the same thing.

I know that, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that Spike will use that number in selling ads, saying something like the first weekend of TNA had over a million viewers.

Then they'd be idiots in terms of business, as if the numbers come below that --- and they are below that presently --- then they'd have to give away advertising money.

It's bad to dramatically overstate an audience to sell ads.

And like someone else said, it's highly doubtful that more than half the initial audience watched the replay.

I'll bet MORE than half watched it.

I wouldn't say so because none of those teasers you talked about mentioned the replay AT ALL. The bulk of that .5 is probably people who heard good feedback from the show and decided to check it out or people who stumbled across it. Drawing a .5 after midnight on a work night with no advertising is very good, IMHO. In fact, I think that's more of testament to the product TNA put out than Saturday's rating, which is more indicative of the effectiveness of the advertising.

It didn't have no advertising. It's not like their core audience was, somehow, oblivious to it.

Guest MikeSC

I know. An opinion against the norm is intimidating for some folks. Thank you for such an impressive contribution. I'm not exactly sure where I could find such deep insight.

I know. An opinion against the norm is intimidating for some folks. Thank you for such an impressive contribution. I'm not exactly sure where I could find such deep insight.

It doesn't have anything to do with an opinion. SpikeTV being happy with that number is a fact. An opinion is me saying that the HBK/Angle match this Monday was a crappy match even though you thought is was great in your opinion, but your welcome anyway.

Granted Mike's a contrary sort but here he's kind of in the right - the argument that TNA pulled a 1.3 and are set for Monday night head-to-head with Raw is more than a little silly.

I didn't say they'd go head-to-head with Raw. The current rumor is that if Spike continues to be happy with the ratings, they'll let TNA tape the show on early on Monday (early 7 ish) and air it from 11-12. That's certainly more feasible than head to head at this point. My only question with that is whether they could edit it in time. I know they taped it on Thursday nights when they started on FSN, but this turn around would basically be two hours.

Considering that the WWE audience wasn't WATCHING USA when those ads hit --- but TNA's audience WAS watching Spike, it's not the same thing.

I was talking about USA Today the newspaper Mike. And they had ads on Yahoo, for instance. In short, while I have no qualms with the way Spike marketed TNA personally, it's asinine to compare the marketing push to Homecoming. Homecoming was marketed to the ever elusive "casual fan," Impact was marketed to the more concentrated "Raw is shitty" crowd. I think in the interim, both approaches where on the money, which is why both networks were happy with they drew.

Then they'd be idiots in terms of business, as if the numbers come below that --- and they are below that presently --- then they'd have to give away advertising money.

In one or two of the many Spike reaction posts that popped on the major news site, they said Spike was looking at the total viewership for the weekend. That total viewership was 1.3.

And like someone else said, it's highly doubtful that more than half the initial audience watched the replay.

And neither of us knows for sure. Hell, Spike doesn't even know for sure.

It didn't have no advertising. It's not like their core audience was, somehow, oblivious to it. 

It didn't get any advertising. It got cover by the IWC. The FSN run determined that at this juncture TNA's core audience isn't very big. That's why there's such a push for expanded visibility. So sending a press release to PWI hardly counts as advertising the replay. Even if it had gotten a little plug after the commercials they ran, they you could say it was advertised. But it didn't. If you are someone who saw a commercial but missed the show, and didn't frequent the IWC, how would you have known it was on unless you channel surfed pass it or saw it on a programming listing. The typical response of a person in the situation I described would be, "i'll catch it next week." I work with a guy who said he'd intended to watch but forgot/was out/whatever. On Tues we had this convo, and I said, "well you know they replayed it last nite" and he was shocked. That's the point I'm making. TNA drew that .5 strictly on word of mouth and buzz from the debut. I think that's impressive, not disappointing. I'm sure none at Spike expecting the replay to draw better than the first run episode. That's just silly, even if Monday is "Wrestling Night."

Guest MikeSC
Considering that the WWE audience wasn't WATCHING USA when those ads hit --- but TNA's audience WAS watching Spike, it's not the same thing

I was talking about USA Today the newspaper Mike. And they had ads on Yahoo, for instance. In short, while I have no qualms with the way Spike marketed TNA personally, it's asinine to compare the marketing push to Homecoming. Homecoming was marketed to the ever elusive "casual fan," Impact was marketed to the more concentrated "Raw is shitty" crowd. I think in the interim, both approaches where on the money, which is why both networks were happy with they drew.

Spike was targeted at wrestling fans, the audience.

RAW was not.

In one or two of the many Spike reaction posts that popped on the major news site, they said Spike was looking at the total viewership for the weekend. That total viewership was 1.3.

If they actually attempt to sell advertising on that, then they are morons. This will backfire on them horrendously. Make-up ads just suck money out of a project.

And neither of us knows for sure. Hell, Spike doesn't even know for sure.

Which makes the rumor that Spike views the total audience as being 1.3 even more asinine.

MikeSC is right except for this major problem.

Homecoming was hyped WAY more than TNA's debut.

You'd make a better case for UFC vs Homecoming in terms of hype.

You can't say Homecoming wasn't targeted at wrestling fans, they mentioned it for a month on their program during almost every segment! It was on their website for that long too. During the last Raw they even mentioned the network they would be on several times.

To say TNA's debut had more advertising, or better directed advertising than homecoming......

now that's asinine.

Selling ad time is a Spike thing. TNA doesn't get ad revenue because of the deal. TNA gets free TV and according to the latest Observer, Spike is also handling most of the production costs for the show. TNA will have to start seeing spikes in PPV buys and get revenue from the DVD's because, just like WWE, they aren't getting ad revenue from the TV show no matter what the rating is.

Homecoming was hyped WAY more than TNA's debut.

You'd make a better case for UFC vs Homecoming in terms of hype.

You can't say Homecoming wasn't targeted at wrestling fans, they mentioned it for a month on their program during almost every segment! It was on their website for that long too. During the last Raw they even mentioned the network they would be on several times.

To say TNA's debut had more advertising, or better directed advertising than homecoming......

now that's asinine.

That's all I was saying. You could make a better case for UFC/HC, but even UFC's pretty substantial push paled in comparasion to the HC marketing. WWE and USA went all out for that show, in a way that they almost never do. So they popped a good rating and more power to them. TNA got more advertising than it ever has and good a higher rating than it ever has. So basically, it was a win/win. I really don't see how anyone can be down about anything that transpired in wrestling television this weekend (from a business prospective of course).

Guest MikeSC
Selling ad time is a Spike thing. TNA doesn't get ad revenue because of the deal. TNA gets free TV and according to the latest Observer, Spike is also handling most of the production costs for the show. TNA will have to start seeing spikes in PPV buys and get revenue from the DVD's because, just like WWE, they aren't getting ad revenue from the TV show no matter what the rating is.

But if Spike has to give away ad time (that is what REALLY killed the XFL monetarily) --- they'll simply end their relationship with TNA as quickly as possible.