TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

TNA Comments which don't warrant a thread

Exactly. This isn't going to help TNA in any way, not even if UFC gives money for it (which they will blow on getting yet more backstage interviewers that have no knowledge of the business or something). So there's no reason they should agree to it, unless they got the chance to have Lesnar personally come in TNA to hype the fight up with some pro wrestling matches (which is obviously not going to happen).

And Corkscrew_Senton: How is it cross-promotion? Did the article say UFC would talk up the Angle vs his PPV challenger match on TNA PPV as well? No. So there's no cross promotion. It's just TNA giving UFC infomercial air time on Impact with Kurt Angle talking up Brock and maybe Mir.

Exactly. This isn't going to help TNA in any way, not even if UFC gives money for it (which they will blow on getting yet more backstage interviewers that have no knowledge of the business or something

HEY!

The new girl at least ACTS like she knows what's going on.

Much better than Laeticia...

Apparently my judgment of this deal was premature. More details coming out includes TNA in fact being promoted on UFC TV, and having some deal where UFC fighters will be seen watching TNA events ringside and vice versa. It's rumored that possibly it's done to bring Angle and Lesnar closer together in a cross promoted fight/match.

It's rumored that possibly it's done to bring Angle and Lesnar closer together in a cross promoted fight/match.

Only way that happens is if it's a fight in the UFC and, for many reasons, that isn't happening. Though on the off-chance it did, Angle would get slaughtered in embarrassing fashion.

What if Angle just appears at the UFC PPV which will have a massive audience and they do a interview with him during the show. Angle has credibility to that crowd and maybe they get a couple extra hundred viewers for the next Impact tapings.

WWE has done this (giving air time to another product, be it a movie or tv show) many times.

Guest SoZe

So this "huge international name" coming that was believed (at one time) to be Sapp, did anything materialize from that or was it all smoke being blown?

TNA sent messages to their fanclub about that, right?

From tnawrestling.com:

CONSEQUENCES CREED SET TO RETURN TO GREENVILLE

At October's Bound For Glory Pay-Per-View, Team Pacman enlisted the help of an unknown young talent named "Consequences Creed" to defend the TNA World Tag Team Championship against AJ Styles and Tomko.

TNA management was so impressed with Creed's debut that night that they quickly signed him to a contract.

TNAwrestling.com has learned that Consequences Creed - who attended college at Furman University in Greenville - will be on hand on February 10 to compete on the undercard prior to the Against All Odds Pay-Per-View event.

It is expected that Consequences Creed will make his TNA "iMPACT!" debut in the weeks following the Against All Odds event in Greenville, South Carolina.

I haven't watched TNA in forever, but I was a bit curious about Jay Lethal's gimmick so I caught his match against Kurt Angle. I like Lethal, but the crowd was terrible and the commentary was even worse. Are West and Tenay always that bad? West was atrocious, he just kept talking about nothing when Angle was setting up Lethal for an Olympic Slam...then, Lethal reverses into a DDT and West basically butchers the whole thing.

Then, the ending...they didn't put it over at all on commentary. They basically said "I can't believe this loser won" instead of "A star is born". Lethal should have been celebrating in the ring and put over by commentary, instead of hiding outside the ring and basically being buried as a jobber who got lucky.

One thing I did like: Lethal's entrance music. That's some good stuff. He pulled off his gimmick pretty well, though it would probably work better in the WWE.

West is really bad, but I like him more than Tenay. West has that David Crockett or Vince McMahon vibe where he seems generally excited for the promotion whereas Tenay seems bored out of his mind. Tenay doesn't do good at all at putting the performers over and selling the stories of the matches. He was good as the third guy who would give out random facts about international stars but he's horrible as the lead announcer. I really wish they wouldn't yell so much or talk when the angles or going down. I really liked that JR and King pretty much stopped down talking during some of the big angles or beatdowns and it's really helped them like for example when Jeff Hardy swanton bombed Orton off the huge platform a few weeks ago.

TNA: BIPOLAR?

I watched all three hours of TNA Impact this week. I watched the regular 2-hour Impact as well as the 1-hour Global Impact that followed. When I was done with my marathon of TNA watching I was left in a state of disbelief. I can’t figure out how it is possible that the same company produced both shows. How can the same people be behind such an amazing great show and one that is so mind bogglingly stupid.

Global Impact was fantastic. Everyone and everything on the show got over. This show treated the sport of pro-wrestling like it was a sport and everyone on the show could be taken seriously and in the end had credibility. There was only the one match on the show but it was great. Two top guys competed to see who the better man was, and the better man won decisively. The clips from other matches made me want to see more and everyone who spoke sounded intelligent and professional, which gave credibility and importance to what they did. If I told someone I was a pro-wrestler and they weren’t sure what I meant, I could show them this show to explain pro-wrestling and be proud of my chosen profession. If I had never seen or heard of TNA before this show it would be my favourite company and I would order every PPV they produced in a heartbeat after the way TNA came off on this show.

In contrast to that if I told someone I was a pro-wrestler and showed them this week’s regular Impact show as an example, I would be embarrassed and want to put a paper bag over my head and slit my wrists. The Shark Boy stuff over shadowed all the hard work of those who wrestled on the show and TNA has once again regained the crown as the biggest disgrace in wrestling history after WWE’s brief lead when Hornswoggle ran through the spray painted hole in the wall.

Let’s be honest, comedy can be a fun part of the show. Booker and Goldust at the Movies were funny. E and C were hilarious, but the Shark Boy segments this week on Impact were stupid, insulting, and perhaps more importantly extremely bad for business. It’s the bad for business part of things that drives me crazy with TNA. If they just did stupid comedy segments on their show I could stomach it, but segments like this have far wider ramifications and no one seems able to get their head out of their @$$ long enough it realize it.

Let’s look at the fact that TNA spent approximately 7 minutes of airtime on the Shark Boy skits. That is more airtime than was given to any of the matches on the show outside of the main event, and is actually 16% of the total airtime on the show. 16% of the show was spent on a ‘jobber comedy’ character that does not appear on PPV, or draw a dime of revenue for the company. The skits were insultingly stupid and undermined the credibility of every person who took part in them. At least the Hornswoggle thing only made a midget comedy character and a guy who was (at the time) quitting, look stupid. TNA parades ½ their roster through these imbecilic segments.

If that isn’t bad enough, and this is where the short sightedness of the creative team shows through, by doing this stupid injury angle gimmick with Shark Boy they are sabotaging their own company by wasting potential money drawing angles on this comedy character. How can TNA book an injury angle with anyone else on the show when Shark Boy comes to the ring in a near body cast and on crutches? The spirit of 76, never say die baby face character, is a proven money draw, when done properly. Tommy Dreamer and Dusty Rhodes used it many times and it always got over. TNA can’t use it now because they wasted it on a comedy skit. If Christian or Kurt Angle wants to play up an injury and come out bandaged up to get over the violence of their feud, they can’t, Shark Boy already did it.

Having Shark Boy working “against Doctor’s orders” kills another great angle. Suppose they wanted to keep Gail Kim and Awesome Kong apart for a while. One of the easiest means to do so would be to play up Gail’s concussion and have her unable to get medical clearance to wrestle. That angle can no longer be used because TNA booked Shark Boy when he was seriously injured simply because Shark Boy asked to. They actually stated the Shark Boy was wrestling against Doctor's orders. So that’s another potential angle flushed down the toilet.

Granted TNA will likely still use these types of angles despite them not making sense any longer, because having segments on the show that contradict each other is a TNA staple. How many times have we seen wrestlers in TNA demanding matches that they don’t’ get, and complaining that they can’t get enough airtime? I’ve seen Robert Roode do it, Samoa Joe do it, Chris Harris does it, to name just a few. They constantly complain, asking what a guy has to do to get the matches he wants. Oddly enough the near dead Shark Boy is wrestling every week and the explanation given as to why he is wrestling, despite being near death each week is that, “Shark Boy demanded the match”. Last week he demanded a match with a top contender and got a match with Tomko. How is it that an undercard nobody who can’t even get medical clearance is being given what he demands while other top stars are ignored by TNA management? This company makes no sense at all, at least not in this hemisphere. In Japan on the other hand, they are fantastic.

Yours in utter confusion,

Lance Storm

Blame it on Mantel. The company was just fine before he came in, even if it was a bit Russo-riffic. At least shit HAPPENED that made some sort of sense during the Jerry/Jeff/Russo booking of late '02/early '03. Entire company went downhill after they got rid of Jerry and Russo, started to be fun to watch again when D'Amore took the book, but went to shit again when they brought Russo and Mantel back.

Two things from the preview for the next Observer that caught my attention:

An even more important story concerns major changes that TNA was talking about this past week, one major TV change that is expected within a few months and will also greatly affect independent wrestling in the U.S., and a second surprising TV change that TNA is talking about with Spike.

I have to say, that sounds really interesting. Hopefully we hear some more info soon.

Former TNA wrestler makes MMA debut this past week.

Any idea who that might be?

concerning the independent portion I'm thinking they bought a few promotions out, or they are gonna allow their guys to work places like PWG or ROH, the thing with Spike is probably something with HD

Guest LuckyLopez

HD? Clash Of Champion/SNME/Global Impact type Specials? Some tapings outside Orlando?

Some change in contracts might affect indy wrestling like letting wrestlers work ROH and PWG or keeping them from working more companies. But I don't see how that would affect the TV product. Doing tapings outside of Orlando would theoretically affect indy wrestling because it could make TNA more of a presence on that scene. If tapings were Friday or Saturday nights instead of Mondays or Tuesdays and basically big ROH type cards.

Those are all pretty dramatic and major changes so I would think we would have heard something about them by now. But its the only think I can think of that would affect indy wrestling AND TNA TV. Unless the news is "TNA told their wrestlers that they couldn't work indies and X wrestlers quit." But you'd think that would have been hyped in different wording that was a bit more "TNA gets shaken up" and a bit less "TNA has major announcements."

My guess would be that the positive reactions to Global Impact have led to Spike approving an occasional 3 hour special for TNA that could take the form of a Clash type outside Orlando indy show. But even that's something I'd be pretty surprised by.

I find it funny that TNA just fucking couldn't resist injecting Amazing Kong with a good healthy dose of "TNA WrestleCrap" by sticking some mystery woman with her. I can't help but sit back and laugh at TNA, I really can't.

Watch them do something stupid like bring in Bobby Lashley to be with AK, and call him "King" Kong.

I could see that happening sadly

I refuse to support a promotion who wont take themselves seriously, its like watchin a bad 2 hour comedy movie, if I want comedy I'll watch Family Guy, thanks for losing my viewership TNA

Guest MadManOnTheWater
Watch them do something stupid like bring in Bobby Lashley to be with AK, and call him "King" Kong.

Why would they do that when Lashley is his real name? And given the stories about Lashley leaving in part because of backstage racism, I don't think that he would tolerate being called Bobby "King Kong" Lashley.

I don't know...I did find the Shark Boy bit kind of amusing, but it has absolutely no worthwhile point or pay off at all, and makes TNA look pretty amateurish, since Austin never has and never will work in their promotion.

A person on another board posted the following about the Observer teaser:

Impact might go live every other week starting at some point in March, and since the knockouts get the highest viewership on Impact, there's interest in making a knockouts-only show. Impact may also go HD to coincide with the live shows.

Take it for what it's worth.