TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

UFC 55: Furry!

MAIN EVENT - Heavyweight Championship Bout

Andrei Arlovski - 236.25 lbs. vs. Paul Buentello - 251 lbs.

I am looking forward to this as I think Buentello has a real chance at taking it. Both guys have tremendous upper-cuts and there will be heavy leather exchanged - can Arlovskis accurate punches put down The Headhunter? Or will Buentello connect with one of his wild ones and put out The Pit Bull?

Heavyweight Bout

Branden Lee Hinkle - 234 lbs. vs. Sean Gannon - 265 lbs.

The man beat on Kimbo. KIMBO!!

Light Heavyweight Bout

Elvis Sinosic -203 lbs. vs. Forrest Griffin - 203 lbs.

Hey, it's Forrest fighting. So there's that. Plus, Sinosec is good fun. Though, I find all Australians charming, so maybe I am biased.

Welterweight Bout

Joe Riggs – 170 lbs. vs. Chris Lytle - 170 lbs.

Can Joe Riggs fuck up in another weight class? WATCH AND SEE! I'd write "I've never seen a bad Lytle match", but then when I say that, it usually proves false.

Light Heavyweight Bout

Chael Sonnen – 198.75 lbs. vs. Renato Sobral - 205 lbs.

Babalu is scary. I hope they build him up because he can be a legit top 3/5 fighter if given the chance.

Middleweight Bout

Dennis Hallman - 185.25 lbs. vs. Jorge Rivera - 184 lbs.

I don't really see the purpose to this fight, other than perhaps to introduce Hallman in the UFC to the Middleweight division, or maybe they expect Loiseau to beat Franklin and want to have a rematch for the title between he and Rivera.

Heavyweight Bout

Keigo Kunihara - 228 lbs. vs. Marcio Cruz - 232.50 lbs

Light Heavyweight Bout

Ron Faircloth - 204.75 lbs. vs. Alessio Sakara 204.25 lbs.

I dunno who these guys are. Hopefully by the end of the night, I will.

Guest Brian

Nasty elbow from the bottom by Riggs ends the fight in the second.

They're going to play "Randy Says" on TUF. Awesome!!!

Guest Brian

Babalau was awesome on the ground, but Sonnen really held his own. How many 185 guys does Quest have?

Guest Brian

Awesome little brawl. Forrest by KO after three and a half minutes of good stand-up action.

And Sanchez is on crack.

Dana White explaining the Gannon situation was gold. The sleaze was laid on thick. Gannon did his job tonight, he got his ass kicked and BLH is on the radar in the UFC HW division. Nothin wrong with that, in my eyes.

Hummer I didn't like. And I actually didn't didn't like Damon Perry. So that's saying something. The guy couldn't be more of a puppet.

Lytle/Riggs was some fab GnP on the part of Diesel. He's been watching his Fedor tapes.

Babalu looked very impressive against Sonnen, and Sonnen didn't look to bad himself suffering through that heel hook. It reminded me of Austin/Hart in some ways, in terms of the visual. But droppin Shoguns name like that? Bogus.

Man, I wished Griffin/Sinosic went longer as it was DAMN good for how long it lasted. Elvis getting the better of Forrest standing, and Forrest having to go all out for the finish or else he would lose the fight was great storytelling. I liked Forrests post fight promo about fighting the best striker in the UFC... who would that be.... ???

BLH vs. Gannon had some sick GnP in it and the blood gushing out of Gannons face was a disturbing image. Feed some more guys to GLH and you could have a player in the heavyweight division.

Arlovski/Buentello? It took me longer to, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, write this sentence.

The italian guy looked very impressive in there both standing and on the ground - it would be interesting to see him against Forrest. His soccer-sell of the kick to the boys was classic. Dvon Dudley has NOTHING on him.

Rivera should have unloaded on Hallman, as the target was there. Still, I loved the continuous body shots.

Yes, I was speaking of Gannon/BLH. And dude, Brandon Lee Hinkle sucks as much as any other Hammerhouse fighter, he just happened to be fighting a guy who had no business being in the Octagon.

Guest Brian

What was Rogan's line after the low blow? "He's Italian so you know that's a big target."

I watched a couple of the fights and bearing in mind this was the first time I've actually sat down and watched UFC, it was quite good. Not that I had high expectations, but it was pretty entertaining.

Rivera/Hallman was way too tentative. I hate holding in boxing, this was the same except a lot longer and more often. Again, bear in mind I'm a first time watcher, but I didn't get why Rivera didn't go for the kill. Hallman was pretty blown up by the end of the first but Rivera didn't actually do anything. You could clearly tell Hallman wanted to go to the mat at the end and Rivera fell for it and almost paid for it.

Can't complain about Lytle/Riggs though. The ground and pound from Riggs was vicious and the forearm/elbow shot he won with was brutal.

More entertaining than I was expecting. Thing is, I really don't think I'd ever spend any money to watch it. So long as it's free, then I'll give it a chance and call myself a 'casual' UFC fan, seeing as that's what the moniker is for professional wrestling.

Riveras tentativeness was killing me, especially considering how wide open Hallman was leaving himself by just standing there. Jorges last two bouts in the UFC were losses, and this fight was supposed to get him back into the game - he had to win it. So he didn't take any chances, because he was winning the fight and all he had to do was leave it to the judges and he'd win. I don't respect that, but I understand that. However, that seems to be part of his game as him vs. Loiseau was a lot of hugging, and while his fight vs. Franklin was exciting, that was mainly because of Rich.

UFC 55 was one of the weakest shows they've had in a LONG while. I'm talking 2 or 3 years now. Even the shows that were on-paper weak (UFC 50) ended up being pretty damn good. The last show that was this poor was probably UFC 45, and I enjoyed that one more than 55. Their next show is loaded (I might do a lil somethin for it :) ), so try to check that one out when you can.

I watched a couple of the fights and bearing in mind this was the first time I've actually sat down and watched UFC, it was quite good. Not that I had high expectations, but it was pretty entertaining.

Rivera/Hallman was way too tentative. I hate holding in boxing, this was the same except a lot longer and more often. Again, bear in mind I'm a first time watcher, but I didn't get why Rivera didn't go for the kill. Hallman was pretty blown up by the end of the first but Rivera didn't actually do anything. You could clearly tell Hallman wanted to go to the mat at the end and Rivera fell for it and almost paid for it.

Can't complain about Lytle/Riggs though. The ground and pound from Riggs was vicious and the forearm/elbow shot he won with was brutal.

More entertaining than I was expecting. Thing is, I really don't think I'd ever spend any money to watch it. So long as it's free, then I'll give it a chance and call myself a 'casual' UFC fan, seeing as that's what the moniker is for professional wrestling.

If you watched UFC 55 as your first show and enjoyed it, you'll be a BIG UFC fan because that show was probably the worst PPV they've had in years. Seek out any of the recent events in stores and you'll be getting some great stuff.

Guest Brian

Seek out UFC 49, 52, and the two-packs they sell together (43 & 44, 45 & 46). The two packs are two shows for the price of one, which I think is $13 or so at deepdiscountDVD. Like Rudo said, everything in the last two or three years have been very good, last saturday's being one of the weakest.

Guest Brian

WEell, if you shop at WalMart, they have a sale up on the web for most of the DVDs under $9.00

Guest Brian

Eh, you don't look so bad. I mean, you're standing next to a bunch of really fit dudes. So, did you talk to anyone and where did you sit?

I've got some more pics than these..I'm gonna put them up in a sec. I sat in the upper deck, but I caught most of these guys during dinner, after they ate, of course. I seriously waved Nate Quarry over and he walked up to me like he knew me. So cool. Mentally, I was in total mark mode the whole night

Dames

seth.jpg

herb.jpg

jorge.jpg

I found it hilarious that Seth Petruzelli wore his Team Franklin jersey so he could be recognized.

Jorge is my height.

And I should have smoked a joint with HERB~!

Dames