TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigm350

Red/Yellow Hogan or Hollywood Hogan?

Guest bigm350

I'm not really too much of a Hogan fan; growing up I was always a Macho Man fan. I didn't necessarily hate Hogan when I was a kid, but even at a young age, I always thought his "say your prayers, and eat your vitamins" shtick was corny. On the other hand, I always thought his NWO gimmick was an old man trying to act hip, and cool, and looking like neither.

However, I will say that the NWO character of Hogan was always my favorite of the two, since it seemed like it was far more closer to Hogan's true personality, instead of the "Real Amercan" version of Hogan. Anyway, give your thoughts on which character of Hogan's you liked more, and why.

I like them both. I was a Hogan fan as a kid and when I look back at some of his old school promos now I like him even more than I did as a kid but I also love him as Hollywood Hogan and in my opinion him turing into Hollywood was the best heel turn I have ever seen

I started watching in 1993 and the Hogan return was hyped big and the swedish announcers said stuff like "listen to the crowd" and alike. I never really understood it because the reaction wasnt that big. Just because of the hype I did like him but I was always dissapointed with him as well. I got to know him more when he went to WCW but started to dislike him because the commentators didnt do kayfabe in Sweden so we got to know of the backstage politics and stuff. The only stuff I really saw from Hollywood Hogan was the initial turn at the Bash 96 which I saw in videotape (this was after they stopped airing wrestling over here and before the Internet was around in every house). I never saw any more WCW really and the only other period of HH Hogan was when nWo made their WWE debuts.

* I was disapionted initially but liked him in 1993.

* I hated him in 95 in WCW

* I loved the Bash 96 angle

* I thought the nWo stuff in WWE was ok but not much more

* After the face turn the reactions he got was impressive... for about a week then I would get bored with him again.

I cant decide whats best really. I probably like the Hollywood stuff more (from what I have seen of it).

I wasn't a huge fan growing up. But I thought Hollywood Hogan was entertaining as hell. I now can look back and appreciate his older work however.

i was never a fan of him as a kid, i was always a Macho Man/Bret fan, so by default i think Hollywood was better.

Know i like the older red and yellow version just because of nostalgia, the hulking up still makes me chuckle everytime.

I liked Hogan as a kid, but he wasn't my favorite wrestler. For some reason my first favorite wrestler as a kid was Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake. However, I started to get sick of Hogan when he made his return to be Beefcake's tag partner, because I realized that if the team won, the tag belts would hardly ever be defended. I was still a mark at this point. I became basically disgusted with Hogan when he won the belt from Yokozuna and then didn't defend the belt on TV until King of the Ring.

I was somewhat excited when he came to WCW, simply because it seemed so bizarro that Hogan would be wrestling in WCW. I got sick of him pretty quickly, though, mainly because the storylines and feuds he was in were so idiotic. (Dungeon of Doom sticks out). It also seemed like they were totally re-doing '80s WWF, by having Savage be his tag team partner, bringing back Miss Elizabeth, the interviews with Gene Okerlund, etc.

I loved it when he became Hollywood Hogan. The turn at Bash at the Beach totally surprised me, and I thought his promo where he told the fans "to stick it" was awesome. Hollywood was an awesome heel in WCW, at least for the first year and a half. After the thing where he didn't put over Sting clean, I basically stopped paying attention to WCW full time and got sick of it.

I haven't really enjoyed any of his work in WWE, although I thought the Mr. America angle was kind of enjoyable.

So I guess the red & yellow Hogan vs black & white Hogan battle is a draw for me, with Mr. America winning as a dark horse. :P

Guest JMA

I'll always mark for babyface Hogan. Yet when he was associated with the New World Order, the Orwellian propaganda, and the heelish attitude he was very entertaining as well. I'll have to say "both" as well.