TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

The Proposition

Guest croweater

It is very, very cool.

It just beat out Sin City on my scale of awesome and tough movies. The acting and story is amazing.

It's been getting a sea of ***** reviews here since its release and after seeing it it's easy to understand why.

10/10

Guest The Iron Yuppie

With this, Little Fish and Look Both Ways, it's been a great year for Australian film. Finally.

The Proposition is a very well acted film. In particular, Ray Winstone is fantastic, with Guy Pearce giving his best performance (that I have seen) since Memento. I was also very impressed by the set design and cinematography.

I think it is very well written, but in some regards, it is a very challenging film - the people that I saw it with didn't understand why certain characters acted in the fashion that they did, because it is not spelt out for them. Also, some in the cinema walked out because of the violence in some scenes (though I think a lot of the comments in reviews describing how violent the film is mere hyperbole rather than fact) but to me, this seemed to be a necessary part of the film's narrative, rather than using gratuitous amounts of blood and gore merely for shock value.