TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

World Series-Astros vs White Sox

Pitching should dominate this series. Neither team is great offensively. Both do tend to have players step it up in big spots. Pitching sets up well for both teams.

A.J. Pierzynski vs. Roger Clemens. Finally we will know who is the bigger asshole.

If you are sick of hearing "pitching wins championships" well this postseason is going to ensure we'll have to hear it for another 20 years based on how these two teams got here.

Well it serves him right, there was NO reason to let Pettitte go, just horrible, and he should have kept El Duque too. Clemens was out of his hands, and Contreras never assimilated to pitching for NY, he looks 100x more comfortable with the ChiSox.

I always thought that pitching won championships. And based on the way that the White Sox dismantled the Red Sox in the ALDS, I'd say it's pretty true.

The only reason I want the Astros to win it all is so that Bagwell and Biggio get their rings. I'm a softie for guys that stay loyal to a team.

Well it serves him right, there was NO reason to let Pettitte go, just horrible, and he should have kept El Duque too.  Clemens was out of his hands, and Contreras never assimilated to pitching for NY, he looks 100x more comfortable with the ChiSox.

Hernandez had a 5.12 ERA. He wasn't that good. And Pettitte did miss most of last year, and the Astros are on the hook for $17 million next season.

Hernandez had a 5.12 ERA.

That was from a small sample. He'd been a great postseason pitcher for us for years.

*and you can't predict injurys like with Pettitte. He was healthy this year, wasn't he? And who wasn't? The big name signings, Wright and Pavano. Pettitte's postseason history was all the reason we needed to keep him.

this shouldn't become a Yankee discussion though

Edited by Precious Roy

Pettitte's postseason history was all the reason we needed to keep him.

Like game 6 of the 2001 World Series where he imploded? Or his horrific start against the Angels in 2002? Or his start in Atlanta in 1999 where he was knocked out in the 4th? Or against Cleveland in 1998 where he allowed 6 runs in less than five innings? How about 1997 when the Indians knocked out the Yankees in the first round, thanks to Pettitte losing two games and surrendering 11 runs?

Hernandez had a 5.12 ERA.

That was from a small sample. He'd been a great postseason pitcher for us for years.

Whitey Ford was a great postseason pitcher for you as well. Why not trot him out again?

Because he's a senior citizen.

Last I checked El Duque's was pretty good when the Sox needed him this postseason

And Al is the one who advocated signing Eric Milton this offseason, AND picked against the Astros TWICE already, like I give a shit what you think about the Yankees :)

1. There's a difference for a lefty between pitching in Yankee Stadium and Great American Ballpark.

2. I advocated up to a certain price. I wouldn't have matched the Reds' offer.

OK, so I simmed the series using one of the best web sites of all time, whatifsports.com. I know, it's not a perfect simulation, but it's quick and dirty and I can get results now. Last year the sim predicted the Red Sox winning in six. Here's the 2005 World Series, according to whatifsports.com:

Game 1: Houston 5, Chicago 2

Game 2: Chicago 4, Houston 3

Game 3: Chicago 7, Houston 1

Game 4: Houston 8, Chicago 7

Game 5: Chicago 4, Houston 2 (11 innings)

Game 6: Chicago 3, Houston 2 (14 innings)

So yeah, Chicago in 6. At least, according to one computer.

Like game 6 of the 2001 World Series where he imploded? Or his horrific start against the Angels in 2002? Or his start in Atlanta in 1999 where he was knocked out in the 4th? Or against Cleveland in 1998 where he allowed 6 runs in less than five innings? How about 1997 when the Indians knocked out the Yankees in the first round, thanks to Pettitte losing two games and surrendering 11 runs?

You could turn that around and list all his good postseason starts though and his 2001 ALCS MVP.

He has something 16-17 wins.

You could turn that around and list all his good postseason starts though and his 2001 ALCS MVP.

He has something 16-17 wins.

He's 14-9 with a 4.11 postseason ERA. And that's in an environment where less runs are scored. I never understood it. Pettitte is a good pitcher, but he's not some sort of postseason demi-god. He ranks tied for first in postseason wins all-time because he's first in postseason innings.

EDIT: Pettitte's second in postseason innings. He'll top Smoltz again as soon as he makes it out of the first inning in the World Series.

I'm really torn on this series. I've always kind of liked the White Sox, I never liked the Astros, and I was really planning on cheering the ChiSox on this postseason. On the other hand, though, I love Roger Clemens, Oswalt's been crazy good in the postseason, and I kinda got into the Astros over the NLCS.

I want to get into this World Series because it looks like it's going to be really good, and I know that the only way I'm really going to do it is to put a sizable wager on one of the teams. This is where it gets really tricky. Even though I'd kind of lean toward the White Sox based on allegiance, the fact that their favored in a series where I think the Astros should be even money at worst gives me pause. Finally, the Sox are favored in game 1, even though they have Contreras going against Clemens which is such a good line, I almost can't pass it up.

It's going to really fuck up my allegiances if I bet the Astros to win Game 1 and the White Sox to win the series. Plus, I really like the idea of just getting a team ahead of time, and cheering for them from start to finish.

What should I do?