TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

World Series-Astros vs White Sox

I didn't really consider my Astros/Cards pick a prediction, but they did make my comments look foolish. I said at the beginning of the year that I was through making predictions and this is no exception. Looking at the numbers though, these teams are very well matched...

-While the White Sox won 99 games and the Astros just 89, both teams finished with identical pythagorean records.

-The White Sox' cumulative OPS+ is 95, compared to 97 for the Astros.

-The White Sox' cumulative ERA+ is 123, compared to 118 for the Astros.

-The Astros finished 11th in runs scored, the White Sox 9th. Both teams finished in the second division in walks. However, both teams ranked third in stolen bases, 137 for the Sox and 115 for the Astros.

-The Astros led their league in least runs allowed. The White Sox finished third, but led the American League in ERA.

-Both teams lack a good bench bat. Bagwell's good, but has not shown power since his return.

I think this could be a very good series.

Is anyone trying to say the Texas Rangers are cursed since they haven't made a WS in their 45 years in the league? Personally I just think it's because they've never been all that good.

No, if the White Sox win this series then the Cubs will be the last romanticized jobber team out there.

Well, they were incredibly unlucky enough to face the Yankees in three out of four of their WS championship seasons

Maybe it's the curse of Johnny Oates' ghost

Guest *KNK*
Is anyone trying to say the Texas Rangers are cursed since they haven't made a WS in their 45 years in the league?  Personally I just think it's because they've never been all that good.

No, if the White Sox win this series then the Cubs will be the last romanticized jobber team out there.

Cleveland would like a word with you. Speaking of which, Cleveland still remains the hardest luck city in America.

No, I think he's gonna go to Orlando.

Of course he'll be a Bull, Knick, Laker, or Celtic in a matter of years. If Cleveland rolls over and dies down the stretch like they did the previous two years he might even demand to get out by next summer.

OK, I did it. I put $250 on the White Sox. I'm still not ruling out betting the 5-inning line on Clemens and the Astros tonight, but I'm on board the Chicago bandwagon as far as the series goes.

The Indians aren't nearly as much of a jobber franchise as the Cubs. Nowhere close. They got to two World Series in the 1990s and another in 1954, and won in 1948. The Cubs haven't done SHIT since about 1945 and they lost that Series then. The last win was like 1908, wasn't it?

Was there ever really a curse on the Indians anyway? From 1954 to 94 they were mostly just crappy. Just having a few decades of futility isn't enough to be a cursed, doomed franchise. There have to be horrible debacles where it seems like God strikes the team down and says "Thou shalt not win." Even the White Sox on lesser levels have had that happen, from coming up short in 1959 to losing the pennant in 1967 to the Red Sox by losing their last 5 games.

Anyway as far as this World Series, I'll take the White Sox. I figure the Red Sox broke their curse last year, so now it's time for the White Sox.

Guest *KNK*
The Indians aren't nearly as much of a jobber franchise as the Cubs.  Nowhere close.  They got to two World Series in the 1990s and another in 1954, and won in 1948.  The Cubs haven't done SHIT since about 1945 and they lost that Series then.  The last win was like 1908, wasn't it?

Was there ever really a curse on the Indians anyway?  From 1954 to 94 they were mostly just crappy.  Just having a few decades of futility isn't enough to be a cursed, doomed franchise.  There have to be horrible debacles where it seems like God strikes the team down and says "Thou shalt not win."  Even the White Sox on lesser levels have had that happen, from coming up short in 1959 to losing the pennant in 1967 to the Red Sox by losing their last 5 games.

Anyway as far as this World Series, I'll take the White Sox.  I figure the Red Sox broke their curse last year, so now it's time for the White Sox.

The whole city of Cleveland is doomed, not just the Indians. Having LeBron James with your franchise doesn't erase that.

All right the seven inning line sucked, so I actually put $75 on the Astros to win tonight, even though I've got $250 on the ChiSox to win the series. I have a feeling I'm going to regret this.

All right the seven inning line sucked, so I actually put $75 on the Astros to win tonight, even though I've got $250 on the ChiSox to win the series. I have a feeling I'm going to regret this.

Betting on a single series is a fools' game. It's entirely too random to go on unless someone is giving you significant odds.

Whether it's a coincidence or not, Eight Men Out is on one of the Encore movie channels tonight at 8.

If it didn't conflict with the series itself, I'd recommend it.

Astros in 7.

Killer B's > Big Hurt

Let the Cubs be the first Chi-town MLB team to win a World Series says I. Sure, the White Sox fans have been fucked with by Jerry Rheinsdorf over the years ('89 move, '94 strike, '97 White Flag trade, etc.) but the Cubs fans have stuck by their team through thick and thin and I admire that in them.

I just like the story for the Astros: the Killer B's get their rings, Clemens gets his ring with the hometown team and his oldest son also gets to pick up World Series honors since he's with them too now.

The Clemens boys are going to get so much pussy if their dad pulls out the W for the Stros. Goddamn.

Yeah, but with a World Series ring to his resume, he'll have a chance to hook up Eva Longoria. Tony Parker better watch his back if the Clemens boys are in town...

Not everyone can marry an Anna Benson.

Unless you're a baseball player who enjoys taking the "workers" from the strip club home with you.

I don't see the Rocket or Mrs.Rocket letting that shit fly in the Clemens boys house.

Right now their only novelty is the "K" thing, and that was just Roger being a cock

It's like a right of passage or something for famous people to give retarded ass names to their kids.

Fuck, I don't care how rich the kid's family is, they've still got a douchebag name and no amount of money will wipe away that scar.