TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Your personal killer apps

The X-Box 360 is right around the corner, and it's got its share of reasons to buy (expanded XBL, high end specs, stronger development support). The DS has its dual screens, touch screen, and soon wifi online play. PSP can do the online thang as well, and can play movies, MP3s, and make dopey people pay 40 bucks for old PS1 games with crappy control (although the DS had that phase too--I haven't forgotten about Rayman and Mario 64 DS).

However, specs mean nothing without the games. I remember that despite the hype surrounding the PS2, when I tried to decide on whether to get a used PS1 or just plunk down for a PS2, I looked over the pitiful (at the time) library, and I saw one game I actually wanted to play--Klonoa 2. I never thought it'd get a sequel, but was grateful there was one, and picked up the system with a copy of Klonoa 2, although the library of games coming out in the near future was also tempting.

My first video game system was the Genesis. At the risk of sounding mundane, I got it for Sonic. I was disappointed to get the "Core" system for Christmas, but my brother in law got one as well and gave me his Sonic 2, so I still ended up with it soon enough.

For the SNES, it wasn't Mario, exactly. Finding demo units of SNES units with Super Mario World in them was a common sight, but playing it...it never really resonated with me like SMB did, and I could still play SMW all the time without buying. I will admit, however, that seeing DKC, and then looking back in old magazines about all the great titles I was missing got me into begging for an SNES.

The announcement and arrival of Knuckles' Chaotix suckered me into getting a 32X--my dumbest gaming purchase decision ever. Just finding a copy required me to pester my mother to drive all over the greater Pittsburgh area until we found a TRU with copies of the game.

Sega CD: my first used system. Got it fairly cheap when we were in the pseudo-next-gen period when Jaguars and 3DOs were on the prowl. Sonic CD was the breaker on that. No longer own it.

PS1: I rented one to play the nearly-as-close-as-possible-to-arcade version of Wrestlemania The Arcade Game, but the real reason I actually bought the friggin' thing was that the demo disc included as part of the rental unit included several games that just blew me away--Jumping Flash and Tekken. I didn't see the big deal over Ridge Racer, although I liked it too. So, initially--WM arcade. Let he who was not influenced at all by Toshinden cast the first stone. No longer owned since I have a PS2 now.

N64: Mario was nearly enough, but OOT actually convinced me to pick up the system.

Saturn-- also was purchased used, from a pawn shop. Not really purchased for one game so much as multiple old titles, but since my EB Games sold import Saturn titles, I picked up mainly to play X-Men vs. SF and Guardian Heroes.

Dreamcast -- Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur did the trick, although my DC was purchased long after the fact.

Gamecube: Metroid Prime made me cave in, Mario didn't hurt either.

X-Box: No longer owned. I got mainly because of the good price, but didn't find a lot of games worth keeping the system for. However, Ninja Gaiden is the game I miss the most.

GBA: Castlevania CotM and Wario Land 4 sealed it.

DS: Dawn of Sorrow sold me on it, and so far I'm very pleased with that decision.

So, anyone else? What's *the* game that compelled you to open up the old wallet (or beg the parents) for a new system?

Never had the pleasure of old-school gaming really. The first console I ever owned was PS1 back in 95-97 (Yea so what, I couldn't afford SNESes & Genesises back when they first came out <_<...)

After that, the hype for PS2 started and MGS2 made me want one real bad so I got it (the PS2) in '01.

The reason I bought a PSP comes out tomorrow (Oct 25th):

gta-lcs-box-bigjpg.jpg

MGS2 was also a factor for me, oh if only I knew...

However, I had gone through the whole reserving spiel and picked it up on the release date.

For the most part I buy systems out of loyalty from an established company and knowing that they'll eventually have a good library. I'd buy pretty much any console that Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft put out. Like I liked Xbox so why not get a Xbox 360?

With PSX Sony wasn't established as a big game company so it took a big game to get me to want PSX. Tekken and Mortal Kombat 3 worked perfectly. I was also really into Twisted Metal once I actually got the system.

With handhelds I need a really good reason to buy them. I don't like handhelds much. I don't travel often and I don't like playing them at home. All the old school 2D games and MK games on GBA got me into that. Same with Gamegear and Gameboy back in the day. I'll get a PSP for Tekken & MK. Castlevania has me tempted to get a DS but I need a few more must have games.

Guest T®ITEC

I got my Xbox due to an insane addiction to the first KotOR. mistake. I'm trading it in next January.

MGS2 was also a factor for me, oh if only I knew...

However, I had gone through the whole reserving spiel and picked it up on the release date.

The hype was so intense I even picked up ZOE (Zone of the Enders) JUST so I could get my hands on that MGS2 demo. For the very first PS2 title I bought, I do regret it, but back then that demo made it all worth it...

Nintendo 64: WCW/nWo Revenge. Around here, that's enough said.

I have alot of Playstation love since the RPGs seem to flock to Sony's domain more often than not.

Nintendo 64: WCW/nWo Revenge. Around here, that's enough said.

I'm not trying to one up you, but I will:

My mom got me ECW Anarchy Rules knowing I loved ECW, but un aware of my video game system. I subseqently traded in my n64 to buy a ps1.

Games that got me to buy the systems:

8-bit NES: Super Mario Brothers 1

Sega Genesis: Either E-SWAT or Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

SNES: Super Mario Kart (I bought an SNES when this was an extra pack-in with Super Mario World)

Playstation: Namco Museum 1 (I'm an old-school arcade freak so emulated Galaga piqued my interest) and Bust-A-Move 2 (Puzzle addict)

Saturn: Die Hard Arcade (It would have been House Of The Dead 1 but I never found an affordable copy of it once I got my system)

N64: I honestly can't remember... I think it was NFL Blitz because the Playstation version had ungodly load times which made it near-unplayable. Conker's Bad Fur Day became the reason to KEEP the system though.

Playstation 2: Metal Gear Solid 2, with Twisted Metal: Black as a runner-up

Gamecube: Pikmin One of the most original strategy/puzzle games released in a long time as well as one of the few first-party Gamecube games of that time not to suck, along with Smash Brothers Melee.

X-Box: HALO

Gameboy: Tetris

Lynx: Electrocop

Gameboy Advance: Castlevania- Circle Of The Moon

PSP: Metal Gear Acid

Gameboy DS: Advance Wars Dual Strike

PS2: The occasional RPG, but mainly for the Japan-only Super Robot Wars series.

Xbox: Morrowind. My PC wasn't quite up to running it in 2001.

GC: It's not mine, but RE4 is the only thing I found worth playing on it.

My first few systems (NES, Genesis, Game Boy) were bought for me by my parents, and I honestly can't remember why (of if) I pestered them to buy 'em for me.

N64: Mario Kart 64. This was a gift from the parents as well, but at least I can remember why I wanted it.

GBA: Advance Wars.

GC: Bought it at launch, mainly for Luigi's Mansion. The promise of SSB:M didn't hurt, though.

DC: Jet Grind Radio and Shenmue.

PSX: KoF '96 and CvS.

PS2: Not one in particular, I was just annoyed that GC didn't have any fighting games. I guess the list would be GGXX, MvC2, CvS2, and various KoF releases.

DS: Kirby: Canvas Curse. Honorary mention to Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Guest Evolution

Super Nintendo for me was Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, RPGs like that.

Nintendo 64 was Wrestlemania 2000

Dreamcast was the NFL 2K series, and later the ability to burn games illegally.

XBox was Halo, Fusion Frenzy, Deathrow, and Burnout.

Playstation 2 was God of War, Final Fantasy X, the Smackdown series and the ability to get GTA before it came out on XBox, if only for a rental (I would buy the XBox version)

I don't remember why we got an Atari... I was 2 years old.

The NES- SMB and Ninja Tutrles.

Super NES- I rented one from National Rentals and convinced my mom, grandma, dad, and uncle to pay $50 a piece for the system w/Super Mario World in 1991.

Game Boy- Just wanted somethingportable, I guess. Don't really remember. Aside fromthepack-in title, Tetris, myfirst game was WWF Superstars. It sucked (in retrospect) but I loved it.

Game Boy Color- It wasin color... heh. Only "exclusive" game I got was Link's Awakening DX.

Game Gear- Just wanted a full color ahndheld. Got Sonic 1 and X-Men for it, nothing else.

Nintendo 64: I was trying to decide betwen this and the PS1 for my 13th birthday in 1997. ThePS1 had thebest sports games, but the 64 swayed me via brand loyalty, Mario 64, Starfox 64, and for some reason, GoldenEye, although I had never seen the movie or played a FPS.

PS1- Just bought this later on to have it.

Genesis- I got this when they released Genesis 3. did't buy it for acertain game, although I came to adore Gunstar Heroes.

Dreamcast- I rented Sonice Adventure and the system from Hollywood Video in July 1999. No way was I going to miss out on Sonic in gorgeous 3D, or NFL 2K5.

GameCube- Got it on Black Friday 2003 with Mario Kart. I wanted other games, but theprice reduction andthequality of this title sold me.

Xbox- No certain games, just a desire to play something Non-Nintendo and to haveonline gameplay. Halo 2 was theone gamethat hooked me, aside from sports titles.

Nintendo DS- Several titles interested me but Nintendogs was what drove me to buy the unit. Recreating my German shepherd invirtual form is tight as fuck.

And I still don't have a PS2... *cries*

Genesis: Golden Axe

N64: Mario Kart 64

DS: Super Mario 64 DS

Playstation 2: Metal Gear Solid 2

I can more than likely see myself holding out on a PS3 until I can buy Metal Gear Solid 4 with it. The DS' crazy line-up will keep me more than happy, I'm sure.

Good to see you bought yourself one, Andrew.

I got the Atari 2600 because there was nothing else (Intell/Colleco-what?)

I got the Sega Master System and Atari XE because everyone else had Nintendo and if I wanted to play those games I'd just go over their house. However, the two must-have games for me on the Sega Master System were Shinobi and Double Dragon.

When the Genesis came out I was sticking with the brand name, although it ended there; no Saturn for me. The TurboGrafix, which my one friend had, did nothing for me.

I skipped the PSX/N64 craze (college) and selected a PS2 so I could play some of the better PSX games as well as the PS2 ones. I also didn't have a DVD player at the time. However, the first PS2 game I bought (which was purchased along with the console) was Gauntlet: Dark Legacy...

Guest Coffey

My parents got my brother and I a Nintendo for Christmas when we were both still small boys. I didn't really have a say in that. I just knew I wanted one because other kids had them and you could play games all day.

I also got the SNES for Christmas when it came out but I had to choose to ask for either it or the Genesis. The SNES was cheaper and I was familiar with the Nintendo name, so I suppose it was a combination of those factors.

I got an N64 for the wrestling games and Goldeneye. My brother got a Playstation for the Role Playing games.

I didn't get any next-gen system because they didn't really entice me. I like the GTA games but I can play them at a friends house. I didn't think a PS2 was worth owning for less than five titles. If I were to get a system, it'd be an X-Box just so I could mod it and slap a bunch of Emulators and Roms on it.

Guest Smues

I wanted a Nintendo for Super Mario 2

I wanted a gameboy because of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game

I got a Turbo Graphix 16 for Bonk, but I never managed to find a copy of that game. Bah

I bought a Virtual Boy for Mario Tennis.

Sonic Adventure made me get a Dreamcast.

N64 was for Mario 64.

I don't think I got any of my other systems for any specific game.

GBA: Mario Kart

PSX: for Super Puzzle Fighter II

Dreamcast: SEGA Smash Pack, Marvel vs Capcom 2

Gamecube + Gameboy Player: to play all of the SNES ports and Soul Caliber II

Snes: Mario World

Megadrive: Sonic

Nintendo 64: Mario 64

Saturn: Nights into dreams

Playstation: Uh...I dont actually know

PS2: Devil May Cry and GTA 3

GC: Naruto Taisen 3

NES - Everyone had one and I'd have gotten one anyway, but the game that compelled me the most was Dragon Warrior.

Genesis - Sonic 2.

SNES - FF6 (I got it late).

PS1 - The promise of FF7.

Dreamcast - Soul Calibur.

PS2 - I'd have gotten one anyway, but Tekken Tag was the launch game I needed. And the promise of MGS2.

X-Box - Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Atari 2600: Because it was the shit back in 1978, just before the Intellivision hit... and didn;t it devut for $300? kkk, you're old enough to remember, help me out. The best game for that was a tie between Solar Fox and Stargate.

Atari 5200: because I convinced my mother to pony up the jack for one, because I wanted a true conversion of Pac Man. That was 82, I think.

Commodore 64: A friend of mine had one back in 82-83, and he was showing me all of these (back then) kick ass games on it, not to mention that you could do BBSing with a modem. In 85, myself and a couple of friends would spend entire weekends playing each other in games on the 64. I finally got mine in 86, and its sitting in my closet right now, and yes, I am going to hook that bad boy up to my TV and revisit my adolescence. Best Game: Secret of the Silver Blades and Bop 'N' Wrestle, one of the coolest wrestling games, ever.

NES: I passed over the NES craze, because I had friends who had one. I would play Double Dribble and crush people, until the three point shot tricks started manifesting. Best Game: Baseball Stars (I, not II)

SNES: I bought one just before I moved to Florida in 93, and promptly had to pawn it in order to.... you know... eat and stuff. I worked at a NES/SNES retailer in the mall just before then, and I used to destroy people in Super Tennis, though I would get my ass handed to me in Madden until I learned how to play and to discover a few unstoppable plays. Best Game: Final Fantasy III (VI)

Genesis: I bought mine from my former roommate, the gamer. We went back and forth on so many games it was silly, But Street Fighter II SCE and NBA Live 96 will always be king in my book, though there are at least ten games that are right behind them.

I wanted a Saturn and 3D0 for Street Fighter Alpha II and AD&D Slayer, respectively, but they were too damned expensive, and I never had a good job while living in Florida.

PS1: Ridge Racer got me hooked, and Street Fighter Alpha I kept me there, along with the oft-mentioned classic, Final Fantasy VII.

PS2: Just Bring It really got me interested in the PS2, though I was only able to buy my own system in 2003, by then there were lots of titles that made me want to buy a PS2, not the least of which is Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance.

GC: Rogue Squadron III, Rebel Strike. Nuff said.

XBox: I got this system in order to play D&D Heroes (I remember being bitterly disappointed to find out it was going to be an XBox-only game a couple of years back), but the game that is best to me on that system would have to be Forza Motorsport. It just destroys anything that the Gran Turismo series has even done.

I think that about covers it.

I'm pleased at how the thread's taken off. :)

For the most part I buy systems out of loyalty from an established company and knowing that they'll eventually have a good library. I'd buy pretty much any console that Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft put out. Like I liked Xbox so why not get a Xbox 360?

Shyeah, right. Who are you kidding?

With PSX Sony wasn't established as a big game company so it took a big game to get me to want PSX. Tekken and Mortal Kombat 3 worked perfectly. I was also really into Twisted Metal once I actually got the system.

One of the few launch titles I could go back and play (or if it wasn't launch, it was close). My favorite in the series is still TM2, which I still play from time to time to this day.

With handhelds I need a really good reason to buy them. I don't like handhelds much. I don't travel often and I don't like playing them at home. All the old school 2D games and MK games on GBA got me into that. Same with Gamegear and Gameboy back in the day. I'll get a PSP for Tekken & MK. Castlevania has me tempted to get a DS but I need a few more must have games.

Any handheld that is going to provide a haven for quality 2D titles is worth picking up. That's why PSP could hardly get a bigger "meh" from me. That, and the fact that I can play most of its good games on PS1 already.

El Luchadore Magnifico:

DS: Kirby: Canvas Curse.

I've been considering that one as well, but the inability to rent DS games makes me a little leery.

Evolution:

Playstation 2 was God of War, Final Fantasy X, the Smackdown series and the ability to get GTA before it came out on XBox, if only for a rental (I would buy the XBox version)

....um...what? When the heck did you buy it, anyway? :P

I can more than likely see myself holding out on a PS3 until I can buy Metal Gear Solid 4 with it. The DS' crazy line-up will keep me more than happy, I'm sure.

Good to see you bought yourself one, Andrew.

PS3 I'll probably wait on. I've been checking out the rumored/probable launch titles, and it seems PS2 will suffice for me for a while.

I checked out the X-Box 360 demo unit at EB today. So far, I'm only mildly impressed. Kameo is cool, although what I played seemed rather simplistic. Everything looks really pretty, but it's just a little prettier than current gen right now.

I never get a system for one game, the possible exception was the Game gear because I wanted to play Sonic games and I had Nintendo systems. Mostly I wanted to play new games and it would get harder to get new stuff for what I had. I got my NES in 1992, my Super NeS in 1994, my N64 in 1998, my Cube in.... I guess it was 2002, it was the January after it was released, and the Playstation 2 in 2004 because my little bro's friend didn't want it anymore, wanted an X Box. I'm looking forward to the Revolution, but don't intend to buy it for a while after launch

Edited by Masked Man of Mystery

I certainly didn't get a GC for Waverace or Luigi's Mansion.....

TM2 was incredible. I played it as much as Tekken back then.

Andrew: There's always Gamefly. It's a bit pricy ($21.95 a month) but I don't believe there's any other means with which to rent DS games.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan is seriously tempting me to get a DS just so I can import a copy and play it.