TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

How I Met Your Mother

Tonight was somewhat of an "eh" episode. Loved Barney and Marshall at the tailor, though.

I don't know. I liked it, but I think where it might fall flat for some was that there was a pretty elaborate set up to get Ted and Victoria together, then three or four episodes where they were basically background characters getting no development and then BOOM, they're split up. Hard to really care too much about that when you aren't given time or reason to get attached to that story.

Tonight was somewhat of an "eh" episode. Loved Barney and Marshall at the tailor, though.

I don't know. I liked it, but I think where it might fall flat for some was that there was a pretty elaborate set up to get Ted and Victoria together, then three or four episodes where they were basically background characters getting no development and then BOOM, they're split up. Hard to really care too much about that when you aren't given time or reason to get attached to that story.

I think that pretty much sums up the problem I have with the show. I don't like Ted and don't care about him because he seems like quite the whiny bitch. I don't see them breaking up the one established couple, and they can't make Ted happy for too long without revealing the mother for the reason you mentioned in that a long build up for a shitty payoff happening regularly kills viewer interest. So that leaves a lot of him whining like Ross pre hooking up with Rachel on Friends, but no one else can carry a multi episode storyline because they don't really have any developments to the other characters yet.

Other than that episode when Lily and Marshall went to visit his parents there's nothing to them except being a couple who have been together forever. Yeah, Lily teaches kids and Marshall's in law school but what can they really do with that? Robin only seems to work when it's convenient to skip out on hanging out with Ted, and was only really fun or interesting when she was Barney's wingman for the night. Barney's easily the best character on the show but they can't tie him up with a relationship because that ruins his whole "gimmick", and I don't think him in the workforce would be funny at all. I'd guess they will go the tried and tested route of Ted finally finding out Robin's into him in the season finale, but the next season will begin with her falling in love with someone else or them dating for about 6 episodes before breaking up.

I think the best thing to do would be to have Robin and Barney hook up during the middle of next season and let Ted have to deal with that as the two people who are anti-relationship fall in love. At least that way his whining actually serves a purpose instead of making me want to hit him in the Adam's apple. I don't want to see Victoria come back, but it seems like they may have left that as an option when he said that the long distance thing only made things worse but that's a story for another time.

From zap2it-

LOS ANGELES -- A strange thing happened at Monday night's Paley Festival panel for "How I Met Your Mother": Barney didn't suit up.

Fellow stars Josh Radnor and Jason Segel, as well as series creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, were all dressed up for the occasion. But Neil Patrick Harris, who plays the suit-loving Barney, opted instead for a jeans-sweater-jacket combination.

"I felt kind of bad about it," Harris said afterward as he signed autographs for fans. "But I wear suits a lot on this show."

Otherwise, the Museum of Television & Radio event went pretty much as you'd expect -- which is to say, it was funny.

Josh Radnor, who plays Ted, the guy trying to meet his future kids' mother, was describing the reaction he gets from fans of the show. Not too surprisingly, they all want to know if he knows who the mother is.

"I don't know if they want me to say it's an accountant from New Jersey that I meet in season five, or it's Keira Knightley," Radnor says. There's a pause, and he turns to Thomas and Bays: "Hey ... ."

Although "How I Met Your Mother" looks pretty much like a traditional, multi-camera sitcom on screen, it doesn't work that way. The show doesn't shoot before a live audience; instead, it films an episode over three days, then plays a finished show to an audience to record the laughs home viewers hear.

That's done partly out of necessity: "How I Met Your Mother" has a lot more scenes than your average sitcom, and its flashback structure makes for lots of jumping around in places and times. But as the season has worn on, cast and crew say, they've grown to love this way of working.

"Intimacy is a big part of it," Bays says. "There's something very genuine about just trying to make your friends laugh."

Pamela Fryman, who's directed every episode of the show, doesn't think shooting in front of an audience would add anything to the show. "We trust each other, we know what works," she says. "It's an incredibly honest way to work."

"And as a result," adds Thomas, "these guys got to act and stuff. We can have quieter moments in the show. It's not just all insult-comeback, insult-comeback."

Fans and critics were taken aback at the end of the first episode, when Future Ted (voiced by Bob Saget) revealed that Robin (Cobie Smulders), the girl he instantly fell for, was not, in fact, the woman he married. To the creators, though, that's the beauty of the story.

"It's torturous that they're not together," Bays says of Ted and Robin. "But that's one of the things we like. Our frustration that they can't play a married couple is very real."

Thomas also says to have Ted meet his future wife 20 minutes into a series wouldn't have rung true. "We thought it would be cheap," he says, "if it's a pilot about meeting the love of your life and it's, 'I went down to the bar, and there she was.'"

From tvshowsondvd-

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5319

Ted went over to Robin's apartment, which is where they left the last episode, all the while imagining seeing Victoria everywhere (since he was on the way to cheat on her). On the way, Lily called and spilled the beans about Robin liking Ted. When he got there, Ted lied to Robin and said he broke up with Victoria, and they started making out.

Ted then decided to do the right thing and went to the bathroom to call Victoria and break up with her, but he took Robin's phone into the bathroom with him, and Victoria called while Ted was in the bathroom arguing with sub-conscious Victoria. Robin answered Ted's phone and found out that Ted lied.

So, Ted now has no girlfriend, and no shot at Robin.

I wonder if it'll even make Season 3, since the ratings haven't been great since it had to deal with both Prison Break and Deal or No Deal.

Because that's part of the fun of the show.

How does Ted eventually move on from Robin and really find his true love?

I don't get why they wrote out the kids, they were funny.

I never watched this show but one of my roommates is a big fan, and so I've been checking it out in between watching NHL hockey and The Apprentice on Mondays. Now I'm totally hooked and would love to catch up on the old episodes at some point. Any idea if this is or will be coming out on DVD?

Neil Patrick Harris is supremely awesome on this show.

Apparently I'm living in a cave, despite having seen every episode of the show, because I just learned during the noon news here that tonight's episode is the season finale.

Anyway, I felt like they gave away half the episode with the feature on the news I just watched, so if you're curious, spoilers ahoy:

The episode centers around Ted making a last-gasp-type of effort to win over Robin. Her smarmy co-anchor is also making a play for her. Ted's big gesture is inviting her over and when she opens the door, he has an orchestra playing in the living room. The catch is all their instruments are blue (think back to the pilot).

I'm wondering if the president's speech tonight is going to pre-empt HIMYM in the East. If there's any kind of talking head analysis after the speech, there may not be anything on until 9:00.

I'm wondering if the president's speech tonight is going to pre-empt HIMYM in the East. If there's any kind of talking head analysis after the speech, there may not be anything on until 9:00.

You know, I was wondering the same thing. According to my DVR schedule, CBS.com and every ad I saw on TV today, they're not showing the president's address, but it looked all the other networks are. Strange.

EDIT: From the "I have too much time on my hands" department: I called CBS in New York and the receptionist said they ARE showing the presidential address at 8, but they don't know how long it will air, so they plan on showing the rest of the shows in full at some point in the evening.

In other words, if you're relying on DVR like me, you've got a real pain in the ass to deal with.

According to my program guide, the speech will be from 8 to 8:20 so I guess everything will just be bumped back about 20 minutes. I'm sure they will save all that analysis to the cable news networks.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it does look like CBS isn't going to even air the speech. And Amy Acker is going to be on tonight's episode as well.

Wow, that was lame. I liked this whole storyline better when I saw Ross & Rachel do it. From the boring chase to the lameass first kiss in the rain this was like out of some 8th grader's diary. Why was this such a big deal when we know that they don't stay together anyway? A definite thumbs down for me.

Marshall and Lily breaking up was the one bright side simply because it was completely unexpected.

Yeah, I think I'm seriously falling OUT of love with this show. If I was Robin, I would have had a fucking restraining order put on Ted after what he did to her apartment and then telling her (paraphrased) "It has to be because I WANT it to be!" And Ted actually "making" it rain to keep Robin from the camping trip? LAME.

This show is trying WAYYYY to much to be Friends which is sad because it started off so strongly. Like Friends, I guess.

The twist to the Marshall/Lily story made the whole Ted/Robin story buildup worthwhile, in my view. Ted only started to want to get married/be in a serious relationship because Marshall and Lily got engaged. What happens now that Ted is in the relationship he seemingly wants, but Marshall is now single again?