TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

How I Met Your Mother

No the one about the old woman and smelling like bengay. For a second there I thought it was Harold & Maude.

I assumed that was supposed to be the truth...

Considering what we've seen of his past, I can see it. Wasn't he in his early 20s in that episode where they got a tape of him looking like a hippee when that girl left him and he "suited up" the first time?

CBS.com lists Jan. 15 as a repeat of the "Brunch" episode. That's the thing I'm really starting to hate about the traditional network TV schedule: WAAAAAY too many repeats. We didn't get a new episode of HIMYM for what, three weeks? They roll out ONE new episode and now ANOTHER repeat?

Take a cue from what Fox is doing with 24 and run a show straight through at the same time, same day each week for a full season. You have to wait longer to get through the "offseason" of the show, but it isn't nearly as frustrating as stopping and starting so much like they do now.

That, my friend, is why DVR's and TiVo has become so damn popular. No more of this "I wonder if it's a new episode" crap. Just check the list and say "Wow. New episode. Cool."

I was out of town during the last new episode and have gradually begun thinking Corner Gas is better than OK, but in face awesome due to reruns on the Comedy Network, so I watched that last night instead.

Am I the only one really annoyed by tonight's episode? They're normally fairly good with continuity, but this was a debacle.

They retrace their steps back to last year. Ted and Robin were going out to dinner and acting like they were a couple then. If you go back to last April, this was the time of the Ted-Victoria story arc, and it culminated with those two breaking up and Robin throwing Ted out of her house. So when the hell would tonight's story have fit in there? It's like they completely forgot that even happened. Not even a casual mention of it.

Not to mention the fact that Lily's hair was bright red last year and dark this year (and outside of the differences in appearance from the pilot, they've been really good about this stuff), yet the scenes from "last year" have her with the dark hair.

Just really disappointing all the way around.

Am I the only one really annoyed by tonight's episode? They're normally fairly good with continuity, but this was a debacle.

They retrace their steps back to last year. Ted and Robin were going out to dinner and acting like they were a couple then. If you go back to last April, this was the time of the Ted-Victoria story arc, and it culminated with those two breaking up and Robin throwing Ted out of her house. So when the hell would tonight's story have fit in there? It's like they completely forgot that even happened. Not even a casual mention of it.

Not to mention the fact that Lily's hair was bright red last year and dark this year (and outside of the differences in appearance from the pilot, they've been really good about this stuff), yet the scenes from "last year" have her with the dark hair.

Just really disappointing all the way around.

I don't think the continuity was that horrible. (I wouldnt' think there was much you could do about the hair)

As for the Victoria/Ted thing, that was the episode right after New Years (The Limo). Although, you said April, and I think I do remember him saying 3 months later. (Have been watching season 1 repeatedly for the last 2 weeks after buying it) And going airdate wise, by what's on the back of the DVD, the season 1 finale was in May. Which in story time, couldn't have been that far off.

And he says in the begging of the episode, the story was from the Fall of 2006.

I don't really remember the very beginning of season 2 (Because it's been so damn long since it started) but I don't think Lily coming back, and the two couples dating at the same time really took that long. So I actually don't think the continuities off.

(Unless they said earlier this season Marshall/Lily didn't get back together until 2007. Which I can't remember.

In regards to Marshall and Lily, she made an appearance at the very end of the season premiere, but they weren't back together for at least another 3 or 4 episodes.

The actual NYC marathon is November, so it's possible that's when it was on the show, but I thought Marshall started training months before (because if unless you're Barney, you can't just show up on race day and complete it), which is why I thought this traced back to last spring (and I thought they had on there at one point that this started in April '06). The only episodes last April were "Nothing Good Happens After 2 AM" and "Mary The Paralegal", the latter of which was the height of Ted and Robin being at odds with each other. I guess you'd have to assume Monday night's episode took place before "2 AM", but Robin still had the whole "jealous of Victoria" thing going, so saying they'd just be hanging out together no problem seems like a stretch. I dunno.

Anyway, on the bright side, according to TV.com, they're running new episodes for the next three weeks. After all the repeats the last couple months, that's a plus.

I didn't have any problem with the continuity as I was watching the show, but now that you mention it, they did really butcher it.

Remember, it took seven episodes to get Marshall and Lily back together, so that puts it at the beginning of November, right when the NYC Marathon is. How could she have been helping Marshall train all that time when she wasn't even there for most of it?

I didn't have any problem with the continuity as I was watching the show, but now that you mention it, they did really butcher it.

Remember, it took seven episodes to get Marshall and Lily back together, so that puts it at the beginning of November, right when the NYC Marathon is. How could she have been helping Marshall train all that time when she wasn't even there for most of it?

Yea, but question is, how long was that seven episodes?

Since they like to time jump, and sometimes, two episodes are merely two days...etc. So yea.

I'm still laughing. The way Marshall just got up, hauled back and nailed him was absolutely hilarious. Barney's whole show was tremendous.

According to TV.com, there's an episode set for April 30 ("May the Best Man Win") with the following preview: "Barney thinks Bob Barker is his father."

Barney and Bob Barker? LEGEN-

Wait for it....

-DARY!

Believe it or not, HIMYM finally has a new episode tonight (first of three straight weeks to close out the season). Considering the Price is Right and HIMYM are two of my favorite shows, this is like a match made in heaven. Great clip of Barney spinning the wheel is available now on TV.com.

According to TV.com, there's an episode set for April 30 ("May the Best Man Win") with the following preview: "Barney thinks Bob Barker is his father."

Barney and Bob Barker? LEGEN-

Wait for it....

-DARY!

You nailed it. AWESOME.

Was it me, or did the guy that Barney pushed out of the leader spot in the Big Wheel look like Zach Braff? I know it wasn't, but that quick cut to him made me think of it.

I really do hope the rumors of this show being on the bubble aren't true. This and Heroes have become Monday night appointment watching for me.

The show really dropped off this year aside from the Barney stuff. It isn't just the jerky schedule but I keep forgetting this show is on, if it weren't for the DVR prompting me. I wouldn't be sad if this show ended up gone although I am bothered that Sheen's shitty comedy is still staying around.

Interesting season finale with some good writing, leaving me somewhat hopeful they can get back on track next year.

They kinda screwed themselves this year by A) putting Marshall and Lily back together so quickly (it was like they were almost never broken up) and by putting Ted and Robin together and making them the B story most of the season. The biggest problem with that was that there was no real A story. The whole point of the show is Ted finding his "One", and when you spend an entire year of him dating somebody who you know ISN'T that person, then what's the point. They were directionless most of the season, with a few entertaining stand-alone episodes along the way.

Now, Marshall and Lily can go back to B story status, while Ted can get back on his search (and wow, they really hammered home the fact that Robin isn't actually the mom tonight... interesting to see how she's used going forward). And with Barney coming on so strong as a character this year playing wing man, that should be solid.

Disappointing sophomore season, but just enough good stuff in the finale for me to not lose all hope.