TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

How I Met Your Mother

That was a murderous twist. Murder I say.

Yet the flashback summary of events made me seem like such a dumbass for not seeing it coming.

To recap the goat scenario, Ted Saget said in season 1 it happened on his 30th birthday. Once he turned 30 in season 3, at the very end of the episode he realized the goat was his 31st birthday (so later this season... except everything he told about the goat was supposed to be correct, just not coherent with it being his 30th birthday.).

That was quite the hilarious show. I haven't been watching lately due to working Mon nights of late, but tonight got me back in. Barney's equation of how to sleep with Robin had me near tears. As well as the Japanese newscast with the monkey throwing marshmellows.

That was quite the hilarious show. I haven't been watching lately due to working Mon nights of late, but tonight got me back in. Barney's equation of how to sleep with Robin had me near tears. As well as the Japanese newscast with the monkey throwing marshmellows.

Yea, I can't wait to watch that online/DVD so I can pause and see everything that was written. The few glimpses I did catch were funny as hell.

I noticed 13^2 - 10^2 = 69.

That was a murderous twist. Murder I say.

mns_l.jpg

"What a tweest!"

This episode basically turned the entire season on its head and now we probably have Robin moving in with Ted for the time being and Barney still trying to win her over without pissing Ted off again. I actually thought they were going to drag this out a few more episodes until midseason, but I'm more interested than ever to see how things progress.

I love Carter and Bays.

Yea, I can't wait to watch that online/DVD so I can pause and see everything that was written. The few glimpses I did catch were funny as hell.

I noticed 13^2 - 10^2 = 69.

Sadly it somehow slipped my mind I had a DVR while watching this episode (except during commercials) and I have since deleted it.

I did notice the Hot / Crazy graph equation though.

Watching it online and here's what I've noticed on Barney's board:

ez=(gin+tonic)4

suit(arrow pointing up)

"Just be myself" with an X through it

3x-->hi5

desperation

-judgement

--------------

success!

I really want to love this show again, but I'm really bored of waiting for the mother to be introduced. Sure, it's probably going to be Robin, but there's been on real indication it'll be her, and they've already gone through over three seasons of swerves and curves, even pulling out the wedding card. The latest twist was really good, and I felt sorry for Ted, but I'm getting tired of a show that's called How I Met Your Mother being more like How I Scored With Various Women Before I Scored With Your Mother.

I really want to love this show again, but I'm really bored of waiting for the mother to be introduced. Sure, it's probably going to be Robin, but there's been on real indication it'll be her, and they've already gone through over three seasons of swerves and curves, even pulling out the wedding card. The latest twist was really good, and I felt sorry for Ted, but I'm getting tired of a show that's called How I Met Your Mother being more like How I Scored With Various Women Before I Scored With Your Mother.

So if the show had had a different name, would it be any better to you?

Anyways, Robin isn't the mother. That was confirmed episode 1, when he finished with "And that's how I met....your Aunt Robin." (Think it was 1)

So if the show had had a different name, would it be any better to you?

Anyways, Robin isn't the mother. That was confirmed episode 1, when he finished with "And that's how I met....your Aunt Robin." (Think it was 1)

Of course it wouldn't be any better. The show is meant to be about how he met the mother, but any hints and teases as to who she is have all been swerves. It's been over three seasons of this, and there's only so long you can do that before apathy sets in, and I'm close to reaching that point. I want to love this show, and there are some things about it I find really funny, but I've had enough of swerves and such that ultimately mean nothing to what the show is meant to be about.

Then why not focus on the really funny things and the great supporting cast instead? I know the mother is going to be revealed eventually so I'm enjoying how the story unfolds and all the things Ted goes through. If all you want is the mother, then you really aren't getting the most out of this show.

I love the show, but from a storytelling aspect it really does suffer from Gilligan's Island syndrome. That doesn't make it bad, it's just somewhat of a flawed premise. Still funny though.

I agree, that part of the show is annoying, but the show is so funny and so well-written that it doesn't matter.

They've made it clear that Robin is not the mother numerous times

Then why not focus on the really funny things and the great supporting cast instead? I know the mother is going to be revealed eventually so I'm enjoying how the story unfolds and all the things Ted goes through. If all you want is the mother, then you really aren't getting the most out of this show.

I do focus on the funny things; Barney is by far the best character on the show, and I usually love his stuff. The problem with the 'story unfolding' is that, really, what of the story of Ted meeting the mother has unfolded? We've seen Ted hook up with numerous women and, yes, it's been pretty funny, but nothing we've seen has had anything to do with the premise the show is meant to be based on, Ted meeting the mother. It's all been about what Ted did before he met the mother, but as funny as some if it has been, after over three seasons, I'd like to see them actually start the story of Ted and the mother meeting. That's not too much to ask.

After meeting the mother? Perhaps alter the premise to be about the relationship between the two as they blossom into the parental couple that the kids know them now to be?

Well, if that were the case the same problem mentioned above of the show not being about "the meeting of the mother" would still exist...

What do they do after that?

If they want to, they can slowly introduce the mother this season. Have her be a friend of one of the other characters, and she can show up and have some interaction with Ted. They can flirt a little and have it be nothing serious at first, but then, over a number of episodes, they grow closer and start casually dating. However, the key is they don't kiss yet, which they can explain this by having her say she doesn't do anything physical with someone she doesn't truly love. Ted can find this cute at first but as the season develops, he realizes he wants to move the relationship further because of how he feels, but the mother doesn't know if she loves Ted and so won't let things go further. Tension ensues because the relationship seems to be stalled, but at the end of the episode, the mother finally realizes she loves Ted, they kiss, and the final words of the season can be future Ted telling his kids, "And that's how your mother and I first kissed".

Season Four can be Ted and the mother doing the relationship thing, which brings the comedy, and the drama part of the show can be Barney trying to tell Robin how he feels. Maybe have Barney and Robin hook up near the end of the season but throw some tension in with some kind of scenario where everyone thinks Barney has slipped and cheated on Robin but ultimately they can end the season with Barney and Robin getting back together and Robin saying, for the first time, that she loves Barney.

Introducing the mother doesn't mean the end of the show. There are still plenty of stories they can tell with the other characters while the relationship between Ted and the mother develops.

Nahh, I love this over-drawn stuff. That's kind of the running joke. How long it's going to take to get the end.

It's worth the wait.

Besides, I think we know who she is. The girl Ted bumped into at the bar during "No Tomorrow."

I like the drawn out stuff too. When he asked out Stella she had to throw in a throwaway line just to keep the possability that she could be the mother. "I've been out once in months (or whatever) St. Patricks Day was a disaster...I left early" which we know the mother was out on St. Patricks day and left her umbrella at the bar Ted was at.

I like little things like that.

Besides...a lot of season 3 was important for getting accross that Ted wasn't ready to be the person he had to be when he meets the mother. Getting left at the alter (or close enough) by Stella should help him on that path this season. He can't just rebound into the one.

This might be a swerve, but this is who I think the Mother is. Or at least someone who looks just like her.

tedom0.jpg

ted1hn0.jpg

I mean, what's the point of Ted bumping into her? You never see that kind of stuff unless it means something. Plus, he did say she was there. And she looked like she was leaving early.

Barney walking into the apartment with two hot chicks, and Ted going, I'm fine really, thanks. And Barney just responding, "I didn't think you'd be home, TO THE STAIRWELL!" had me laughing well through the commercial break.